PDA

View Full Version : If I were a carpenter...

oaklandhater
06-22-2005, 06:12 PM
http://chargers.scout.com/2/389617.html

If I were a carpenter...

By Michael Lombardo
Date: Jun 22, 2005
Scout.COM

If you asked ten different people who Ty Law will end up playing for this season, you’d probably get ten different answers. If you asked me, I’d likely answer your question with one of my own: why not the Chargers?

I know the Chargers already have four highly-drafted corners on their roster; each is young and has shown potential. However, there comes a time when potential alone just doesn’t cut it, and the clock is ticking on the Chargers’ quartet of underachievers.

Ty Law is a proven performer. He has snagged 36 interceptions in his ten-year career, despite the fact that teams consistently throw away from him. He has been to four Pro Bowls and has been the face of New England’s defense for a decade now.

The Chargers have the money to sign Law and are a team that can afford to take inherent risk in doing so. If Law is unable to recover from his foot injury in time to start on opening day, oh well, add an escape clause as part of the contract offer – not like a ton are pouring in for the corner anyway. The Chargers have sufficient talent to get by. On the flip side, a healthy Ty Law could be the missing link that elevates the Chargers’ defense from good to fan-freaking-tastic.

With Law covering the opponents’ top receiver, Quentin Jammer would see more balls thrown his way. That fact, combined with perhaps covering number-two receivers for a change, should allow him to easily surpass his career high of four interceptions in a single season.

Drayton Florence would move to the nickel, and it would be a coup for the Chargers to have a nickel-defender with his playmaking abilities. In today’s pass-happy NFL, teams deploy three corners over 50 percent of the time. Sammy Davis would then move to the dime in addition to providing stellar injury insurance. Jamar Fletcher then would either become the number five corner or get cut in favor of a rookie with promise, such as Abraham Elimimian.

Ty Law could have the same effect on the Chargers’ young secondary as Roman Oben and Mike Goff had on the team’s young offensive line last year. All of that is just gravy though, because Law can do so much more than just improve the play of those around him.

Law has the ability to man-up on Randy Moss. He has the speed to keep up with Ashley Lelie and the intelligence to ignore Freddie Mitchell. With officials now calling pass interference penalties when cornerbacks so much look at receivers the wrong way, having a defender with elite coverage skills is now a must. Law brings all of these things and more to the table.

The only downside to signing Ty Law would be that his arrival would limit the playing time for some of the younger corners. This is a pretty minimal drawback to say the least. A.J. Smith has stated repeatedly that he wants to create depth. He desires a three-deep roster so that the ensuing competition will bring out the best in everybody. Well ask and you shall receive Mr. Smith. The time has come to take action and bring your dream to fruition.

The Chargers should sign Ty Law. They have the money to do it and that is what it is there for. Offer him a three-year deal and he will likely jump at the security provided by such an offer. He still has the skills necessary to be an elite performer, and if the Chargers can remember their pathetic attempts at pass defense from a year ago, they should realize that this is a risk worth taking.

The means, motive and opportunity are all there. Also, don’t forget that the Patriots made the Chargers look like complete morons for letting Rodney Harrison go, as Harrison has been a beast ever since arriving in New England. It would a bit of sweet irony if the Chargers could make the Patriots look equally foolish by helping Ty Law resurrect his career in San Diego. This deal may never happen, but for the sake of Chargers fans worldwide, here’s hoping it does.

milkman
06-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I think that the person writing this is missing 2 important points.

Law is going to want big bucks, and most likely won't sign any contract that includes an escape clause for the team.

runnercyclist
06-22-2005, 06:20 PM
...and the intelligence to ignore Freddie Mitchell.

AWESOME line :clap:

oaklandhater
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM

Law is going to want big bucks, and most likely won't sign any contract that includes an escape clause for the team.

Thats why i have a feeling he is going to the Browns

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Law is going to want big bucks,

more than likely

and most likely won't sign any contract that includes an escape clause for the team.

disagree here... depending on his health, he may not have a choice
btw ... the same thing applies to the chiefs

with surtain and warfield we can survive without Law

but with surtain,law and warfield we could be outstanding

i mean who needs a free safety with these 3 .... Law played a hybrid free safety/cornerbacker with the pats anyway?

sign Law, cut McCleon,Woods,Wesley

or keep wesley as a backup to both safety spots and cut a few other players ... depends on the cap stuff.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 06:30 PM

I thought all NFL contracts had an escape clause. "You're Fired". :shrug:

milkman
06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
and most likely won't sign any contract that includes an escape clause for the team.

disagree here... depending on his health, he may not have a choice

I don't think Law signs a contract until he passes a team's physical, and when they try to put that escape clause in, he won't go for it because their team doctors say he's ready.

Some team will cave.

milkman
06-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I thought all NFL contracts had an escape clause. "You're Fired". :shrug:

If they sign a long term deal with a large signing bonus, that "escape clause" won't kick in until much later in the contract.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't think Law signs a contract until he passes a team's physical, and when they try to put that escape clause in, he won't go for it because their team doctors say he's ready.

Some team will cave.
What I mean is: Does any team offer guaranteed contracts? I thought any player could be fired at any time. If that is so, how could somebody like Law, with his injury, demand one?

milkman
06-22-2005, 06:41 PM
What I mean is: Does any team offer guaranteed contracts? I thought any player could be fired at any time. If that is so, how could somebody like Law, with his injury, demand one?

Teams could give him tiered bonuses.
They could put language in that requires partial repayment of bonuses.

shakesthecat
06-22-2005, 06:56 PM
I'd hammer in the mooorrrrorrrrning.....

Mr. Laz
06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
i think old age is catching up ... law wouldn't be the one demanding one.

the team would be demanding some kind of clause to structure to protect them from a big signing bonus.

either the signing bonus would be split or the contract would have incentives instead of a big signing bonus.

milkman is saying that Law wouldn't settle for those things in his contract even because of the health concerns.

need to boost that geritol, skiptomylou. :D

whoman69
06-22-2005, 09:03 PM
I'd hammer in the mooorrrrorrrrning.....
Wrong song.

stevieray
06-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Wrong song.

Paul Anka? I know Robert Plant did a cover.

Skip Towne
06-22-2005, 09:55 PM
i think old age is catching up ... law wouldn't be the one demanding one.

the team would be demanding some kind of clause to structure to protect them from a big signing bonus.

either the signing bonus would be split or the contract would have incentives instead of a big signing bonus.

milkman is saying that Law wouldn't settle for those things in his contract even because of the health concerns.

need to boost that geritol, skiptomylou. :D
We weren't talking about signing bonuses. He gets to keep that. We're talking about escape clauses in NFL contracts. Every single one of them has that built in the way I understand it. If you mean escape clauses to recoup signing bonuses then say so. You need to go buy a bottle of smartenup.