PDA

View Full Version : The Next New Golf Thread..

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I went out and bought some new stix today. There is a local company called Innovex Golf (http://www.innovexgolf.com/) that is local and has an office at 135th and Nall.

The owner is a guy named Kevin Downey. I met him at the golf expo back in January at Hale Arena. Really nice guy. Kevin did some work in Calloway's R&D office. Had some great stories to tell about that too.

Anyway, they had a demo special over the winter where you could demo a wedge or iron for 20$. So I jumped on this and got a sand wedge. I practice with that club every day and was really impressed with it.

Yesterday, I was near their place of business and stopped by to get a 2nd copy of Kevin's book. It's titled The Art And Science Of Breaking 90. Somebody swiped it from me when I left it out at work.

We start talking golf and I figure it's time to be a club ho'. So I'm now the proud owner of a spanking new set of Innovex irons.

Sweet!!

ChiefsFire
06-23-2005, 05:43 PM
shameless plug

booooooo

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
shameless plug

booooooo

Shameless? Hardly. Good equipment deserves a plug.

Edubs
06-23-2005, 06:25 PM
I heard about this place. Pops said it's the best place in town....great service.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 06:33 PM
Herzig will be along shortly to tell you if they are any good. But he's a nice guy and won't tell you if they are shiot. So I'll come back and interpret what he says.

HemiEd
06-23-2005, 07:36 PM
As long as you have confidence in them when you tee it up that is all that matters IMO. Good luck with them!

SCTrojan
06-23-2005, 07:38 PM
New sticks are always good for two fewer strokes per round.

NaptownChief
06-23-2005, 08:03 PM
Irish Bill,

Are they the RLS model? Good club. The rate really well with rankmark testing and all the individual reviews I have read.

How much did you pay for them?

Phobia
06-23-2005, 08:15 PM
Did you make sure he didn't just turn a set of RH clubs upsidedown? You gotta watch that guy.

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Irish Bill,

Are they the RLS model? Good club. The rate really well with rankmark testing and all the individual reviews I have read.

How much did you pay for them?

Nap, yes they are the RLS series. I got them for just under $300. But, I only got the 5i through ultraLW (64*) Innovex is just now coming out with their own hybrid 3-4i. They didn't have those in LH'er model. So I'll prolly pick those up in the fall when they get the lefty stuff on line.

So in reality I purchased the 5,6,7,8,9, PW, SW, LW and the Ultra LW for just under 300$.

I read their reviews and then after meeting the guy decided I was going to buy from him. Being that he's local was also a plus.

NaptownChief
06-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Nap, yes they are the RLS series. I got them for just under $300. But, I only got the 5i through ultraLW (64*) Innovex is just now coming out with their own hybrid 3-4i. They didn't have those in LH'er model. So I'll prolly pick those up in the fall when they get the lefty stuff on line.

So in reality I purchased the 5,6,7,8,9, PW, SW, LW and the Ultra LW for just under 300$.

I read their reviews and then after meeting the guy decided I was going to buy from him. Being that he's local was also a plus.

That is a good price for a good set of clubs....I must say they aren't the prettiest club I have ever laid eyes on but personally I am not one of those club snobs that lets that make a purchase decision. If the damn things help me score better then they could look like Taco and I wouldn't care.

You track your handicap? If so what are you currently playing off?

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Oh, crap, those clubs are left handed. Should bring about $25 at a garage sale.

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
That is a good price for a good set of clubs....I must say they aren't the prettiest club I have ever laid eyes on but personally I am not one of those club snobs that lets that make a purchase decision. If the damn things help me score better then they could look like Taco and I wouldn't care.

You track your handicap? If so what are you currently playing off?

I'm so new at this I haven't even figured out my handicap. I just joined the KGA and will now begin posting my scores so I can lose money to my brothers.

I just learned how to play skins two Sundays ago.

It's real easy. I just donate 10$ and viola, I never see it again. :)

NaptownChief
06-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Oh, crap, those clubs are left handed. Should bring about $25 at a garage sale.

That is only if you are fortunate enough to have a lefty show up...Probably 1 in 4 chance otherwise $5 to someone like me or Herzig who just couldn't resist the opportunity to buy clubs even if they were the wrong kind. :D

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2005, 08:37 PM
That is only if you are fortunate enough to have a lefty show up...Probably 1 in 4 chance otherwise $5 to someone like me or Herzig who just couldn't resist the opportunity to buy clubs even if they were the wrong kind. :D

I don't think I'll sell my (soon to be) old clubs. I think it's a good idea to keep them around in case my game goes to shiot and then I can use the old clubs to threaten the new clubs.

"You wanna play like that? Huh? Well?? Do ya? Maybe that other set of clubs wants to play. I'll just take them next week."

I'm real big on threatening my clubs.

NaptownChief
06-23-2005, 08:43 PM
I don't think I'll sell my (soon to be) old clubs. I think it's a good idea to keep them around in case my game goes to shiot and then I can use the old clubs to threaten the new clubs.

"You wanna play like that? Huh? Well?? Do ya? Maybe that other set of clubs wants to play. I'll just take them next week."

I almost never sell old clubs...You just never know when you might need to turn to an old girlfriend when the new one starts acting up on you.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 08:50 PM

Are you still punishing those clubs you didn't take to Bella Vista?

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 08:53 PM
I almost never sell old clubs...You just never know when you might need to turn to an old girlfriend when the new one starts acting up on you.
That's where you and Herzig differ. He's an ebay slut as well as a club whore.

NaptownChief
06-23-2005, 08:55 PM

Well I'm also an ebay slut but unlike Herzig I don't go both ways. :D

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 08:59 PM
Well I'm also an ebay slut but unlike Herzig I don't go both ways. :D
Yeah, he's a definite ebay switch hitter.

WilliamTheIrish
06-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Are you still punishing those clubs you didn't take to Bella Vista?

No. I've really worked hard on my irons since I went in the tank a couple months ago.

Still, on occasion, I have to berate the 3i. Hard club for me to hit. I use off the tee with some success. But in the fairway I struggle with it.

Phobia
06-23-2005, 10:09 PM
No. I've really worked hard on my irons since I went in the tank a couple months ago.

Still, on occasion, I have to berate the 3i. Hard club for me to hit. I use off the tee with some success. But in the fairway I struggle with it.

Considering it's the same swing, that doesn't make any sense. But I've been down that road.

I'm no pro (obviously), but some advice a pro gave me applies in this situation.

Stop trying to hit the ball. Let the ball get in the way of your swing. Once you stop focusing on the ball and focus on your swing, your game will get a lot better.

Miles
06-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Im always fairly skeptical about random brands but im also a bit of a Titleist homer. If you have found something you like and they feel good that should help out your game. The confidence from some new sticks that you like is always nice.

Miles
06-23-2005, 10:21 PM

Depending on how well you hit your 3 iron, you may think of just taking it out of your bag. If the yardage range between your highest fairway wood and your 4 iron isnt all that great (15-20yds) its likely not worth messing with your 3 iron.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Depending on how well you hit your 3 iron, you may think of just taking it out of your bag. If the yardage range between your highest fairway wood and your 4 iron isnt all that great (15-20yds) its likely not worth messing with your 3 iron.
I don't agree with that at all. While the 3 iron and 5 wood might yield the same distance, the 3 iron does it at a much lower trajectory than the 5 wood. Circumstances dictate which one you use. If you want to go under tree branches, use the 3 iron, to go over the tree, the 5 wood. When I played well I was a practice-a-holic. I would practice the most with the clubs I liked least. The low irons were always the toughest for me so I practiced them the most (Other than the driver which I practiced every day.) If I were you, William, I'd practice that 3 iron every day until it magically becomes your favorite club. Try it, it will happen. When I first started my dad would only let me buy one new club (the rest I borrowed). I bought a brand new McGregor 3 iron and I wore that sucker out practicing with it.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Considering it's the same swing, that doesn't make any sense. But I've been down that road.

I'm no pro (obviously), but some advice a pro gave me applies in this situation.

Stop trying to hit the ball. Let the ball get in the way of your swing. Once you stop focusing on the ball and focus on your swing, your game will get a lot better.
You use the same swing for the 3 iron that you use with an 8 iron? I certainly don't. The 3 iron is several inches longer than the 8. The 3 iron swing is more a sweeping motion like a driver or fairway wood. With the 8 iron being shorter you are standing more upright over the ball and swinging straight down on it (rather than sweeping) to achieve backspin. Just what I do. Something else might work for somebody else.

Miles
06-23-2005, 11:32 PM
I don't agree with that at all. While the 3 iron and 5 wood might yield the same distance, the 3 iron does it at a much lower trajectory than the 5 wood. Circumstances dictate which one you use. If you want to go under tree branches, use the 3 iron, to go over the tree, the 5 wood. When I played well I was a practice-a-holic. I would practice the most with the clubs I liked least. The low irons were always the toughest for me so I practiced them the most (Other than the driver which I practiced every day.) If I were you, William, I'd practice that 3 iron every day until it magically becomes your favorite club. Try it, it will happen. When I first started my dad would only let me buy one new club (the rest I borrowed). I bought a brand new McGregor 3 iron and I wore that sucker out practicing with it.

Guess i just see the tajectory difference to play a bit different. Personally I find low irons are much more playable that higher loft fairway woods. However I still think that if you can hit a 5 wood better than a 2 or 3 iron than just go with it. About the only time that I can see that the wood would hurt is in high wind. Otherwise I think if you have to hit under a tree you can minipulate a 4 iron just as well.

Skip Towne
06-23-2005, 11:44 PM
Guess i just see the tajectory difference to play a bit different. Personally I find low irons are much more playable that higher loft fairway woods. However I still think that if you can hit a 5 wood better than a 2 or 3 iron than just go with it. About the only time that I can see that the wood would hurt is in high wind. Otherwise I think if you have to hit under a tree you can minipulate a 4 iron just as well.
We'll have to agree to disagree. If you're too close to the tree to get the 5 wood over it, you HAVE to go under it. That 4 iron will likely get you into the lower branches while a hooded 3 iron would not. I always carried a two iron until they went out of vogue. I could hood that sucker and get a screamer about 5' of the ground that would go 165 yards.

philfree
06-24-2005, 12:08 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree. If you're too close to the tree to get the 5 wood over it, you HAVE to go under it. That 4 iron will likely get you into the lower branches while a hooded 3 iron would not. I always carried a two iron until they went out of vogue. I could hood that sucker and get a screamer about 5' of the ground that would go 165 yards.

Yeah that kind of shot making isn't seen much these days. Same goes for wedge play. I've never carried three wedges and unless I'm in a tounement I always carry 15 clubs. SW-1 iron and then three woods and the putter.( carry 15 so i have the chance to hit all of them on the course...how do you know how you hit a club if it's left in the trunk?) When I drop a club to 14 I drop my 2 iron. I use my 5 wood as my fairway metal and my 3 wood is a S 3(s=strong) and I use it and and the 1 iron as driving clubs. IMO the modern course design has taken away from the game. You either hit down the pipe or start taking penalty strokes. You just don't see people(pros included) pull to many recovery shots out of their arse. To me that sucks.....The ability to work the ball and create should be part of the game as well as the ability to machine them down the middle time after time.

PhilFree:arrow:

NaptownChief
06-24-2005, 07:40 AM
You use the same swing for the 3 iron that you use with an 8 iron? I certainly don't. The 3 iron is several inches longer than the 8. The 3 iron swing is more a sweeping motion like a driver or fairway wood. With the 8 iron being shorter you are standing more upright over the ball and swinging straight down on it (rather than sweeping) to achieve backspin. Just what I do. Something else might work for somebody else.

Technically you should be striking down on the ball no matter what club you are using...It is just that the longer clubs will take a very light divot and the shorter clubs a deeper divot due to the approach angle caused by the different shaft lengths...Because of the longer shaft it certainly feels much more like a sweeping swing but it is still suppose to be a downward and outward strike. I didn't believe that either until I started working with Chuck Evans this year.

WilliamTheIrish
06-24-2005, 07:47 AM

In a roundabout way that's exactly what I do. 3 months ago I decided to learn the clubs 'backwards.' I read somewhre (maybe the Nicklaus book) that you want to be proficient with the scoring clubs. So, everyday I go out in my front yard and hit at least 100 SW and PW shots.
Then I'd take the 9,8.7,6i's to the range. At the time I was having zero success hitting anything lower that that, so those clubs stayed at home. Now, that I'm hitting the mid irons much better, the 5i and 4ihave been getting a ton of work and I'll use the 3i just to tee off or practice punch shots. (since I find myself in the trees more than I'd like, it's a skill I need,)

But I completely agree on the 3i vs 5w theory. I can hit a 5w. But it's a situational thing. I really hated hitting irons when I began playing last year. But now that I've learned just a little about them, it's opned up a whole new world of golf for me. I can control an iron shot a lot better than I can control a fairway wood shot.

But that 3i.... that sucker takes a lot of practice. So that's what it's going to get.

WilliamTheIrish
06-24-2005, 07:50 AM

You know, it's a funny thing. I'll feel good right up until the point where I draw the damn 3i out of the bag. Standing over the shot I get a little jittery and think too much.

Right there, it's over. I'll usually hit 5 inches behinmd the ball and or top it and send a 90 yard worm burner into the rough.

I'm getting there though.

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 07:52 AM
In a roundabout way that's exactly what I do. 3 months ago I decided to learn the clubs 'backwards.' I read somewhre (maybe the Nicklaus book) that you want to be proficient with the scoring clubs. So, everyday I go out in my front yard and hit at least 100 SW and PW shots.
Then I'd take the 9,8.7,6i's to the range. At the time I was having zero success hitting anything lower that that, so those clubs stayed at home. Now, that I'm hitting the mid irons much better, the 5i and 4ihave been getting a ton of work and I'll use the 3i just to tee off or practice punch shots. (since I find myself in the trees more than I'd like, it's a skill I need,)

But I completely agree on the 3i vs 5w theory. I can hit a 5w. But it's a situational thing. I really hated hitting irons when I began playing last year. But now that I've learned just a little about them, it's opned up a whole new world of golf for me. I can control an iron shot a lot better than I can control a fairway wood shot.

But that 3i.... that sucker takes a lot of practice. So that's what it's going to get.
Sounds like you could use a chainsaw as well.

Phobia
06-24-2005, 09:05 AM

I was talking about WTI taking a 3 off the tee box and taking the 3 off the fairway. Where did the 8 come into the discussion?

WilliamTheIrish
06-24-2005, 03:24 PM
So Skip, were you really serious when you said you don't play anymore?

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 03:33 PM
I was talking about WTI taking a 3 off the tee box and taking the 3 off the fairway. Where did the 8 come into the discussion?
I misread what you said. I hardly ever hit a 3 iron off the tee. But the swing is the same as off the fairway.

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 03:36 PM
So Skip, were you really serious when you said you don't play anymore?
Yes, I was serious. I've played 4 times in the last 10 years. I need to play regularly to play decent. I just don't get the chance to do that so I just don't play. Hacking isn't fun for me.

Herzig
06-24-2005, 07:08 PM

Hey...I missed this thread...I've been out of town at a 2 day workshop in southwest Arkansas to be trained to run the "Hooked on Fishing Not on Drugs" program at my school next year. It was actually one the best workshops I've ever attended.

You are right my friend...but you forgot to add that I'm also a Golf Aficionados(www.4gea.com) club slut. I find some of my best deals there in the Swap Shop section of the forum. I rarely buy new clubs anymore. Screw that.

Herzig
06-24-2005, 07:14 PM

I agree with you...but I never use a 3 iron anymore...they are too hard to hit well. I carry a hybrid instead...much easier to hit consistantly(similar to that "hollow 3 iron" I used to carry but more like a fairway wood). If it's windy, I might replace it with the old 3 iron.

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Hey...I missed this thread...I've been out of town at a 2 day workshop in southwest Arkansas to be trained to run the "Hooked on Fishing Not on Drugs" program at my school next year. It was actually one the best workshops I've ever attended.

You are right my friend...but you forgot to add that I'm also a Golf Aficionados(www.4gea.com) club slut. I find some of my best deals there in the Swap Shop section of the forum. I rarely buy new clubs anymore. Screw that.
You're a fisherman? I didn't know that. Do you need any help with the drugs part? I know alot about drugs. Several years ago, when I lived in Chanute, Ks., there were a bunch of cops of all kinds that ran a fishing program for kids called Bass 'n Badges. If you want the guy to contact PM me.

HemiEd
06-24-2005, 07:52 PM
Yes, I was serious. I've played 4 times in the last 10 years. I need to play regularly to play decent. I just don't get the chance to do that so I just don't play. Hacking isn't fun for me.

Hey Skip, I ended up winning that Stableford event and then lost first round of match play the following week 4 and 3. The ups and downs of Golf.

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Hey Skip, I ended up winning that Stableford event and then lost first round of match play the following week 4 and 3. The ups and downs of Golf.
Stableford sucks monkey balls but congrats to you for winning anyway. Do you know what the letters g-o-l-f mean? At least supposedly?

yeti
06-24-2005, 09:24 PM

For my swing, I try to use the inside approach (sweeping motion) for basically all my clubs. Now I agree that the length of the club affects this motion but it I still try to sweep but pinch the ball out to get backspin. This is difficult to explain but I have worked with Jack Nicklaus's Inside Approach and it has me hitting great irons with great distance. It is all about what works for you.

philfree
06-24-2005, 10:14 PM

I agree with skip. For me I used to struggle with my long irons but I was a very good driver of the ball so one day I decided I should hit my long irons just like I hit a driver. When I want to work on my long irons I tee the ball up(very low) and hit 1 irons. I do it and tell my self to hit it just like a driver. Don't be anal about it just get up and turn your shoulders and knock hell out of it. I'll practice with my 4 iron off the ground but I hardly ever hit balls on the range with a 2 or 3 iron off the ground. It's not like you have to hit 10 long irons a round so why make such a big deal out of it. If you go out and try and practice 2 and 3 irons and struggle it's gonna destroy your confidence. Now if you suck with your wedge shots that's a whole different thing. You'd better get some instruction and then go practice till you are comfortable with your wedge play. Driver, wedge and putter. If you can be good with those three clubs then you should be able to score.

PhilFree:arrow:

Herzig
06-25-2005, 08:35 AM
Ever felt like this before?

Herzig
06-25-2005, 08:45 AM
:)

Herzig
06-25-2005, 08:46 AM
:p

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 10:05 AM
Stableford sucks monkey balls but congrats to you for winning anyway. Do you know what the letters g-o-l-f mean? At least supposedly?

Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden?

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden?
Yep, those old guys were really thinking. There's nothing worse than women on a golf course.

Herzig
06-25-2005, 12:30 PM
This one is for Skip..

Herzig
06-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Yep, those old guys were really thinking. There's nothing worse than women on a golf course.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 12:59 PM

I had one of the old hags from work a few years ago ask me what I thought about woman playing. I told that I had no problem with it as long as it after dark.

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 01:17 PM
This one is for Skip..
I've known about that strategy for awhile. I'd rather sit in the 19th hole and drink and brag rather than go out in the heat and embarass myself.

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 01:20 PM
No fair. That's not the kind that show up on golf courses.

Herzig
06-25-2005, 01:45 PM
ROFL

NaptownChief
06-25-2005, 02:01 PM
As long as they can get their ass around 18 holes in 4 hours and 15 minutes or less then I don't care what they have between their legs. My Saturday foresome usually plays in 4 hours or less and we have one guy in the group that waggles before every shot like Sergio and Ben Crane. When he doesn't play we often times get done in 3 hours and 20-30 minutes. Nothing worse than the sun baking down on you as some slow playing POS tacks on an extra hour or two of just standing around in the heat.

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 04:20 PM
As long as they can get their ass around 18 holes in 4 hours and 15 minutes or less then I don't care what they have between their legs. My Saturday foresome usually plays in 4 hours or less and we have one guy in the group that waggles before every shot like Sergio and Ben Crane. When he doesn't play we often times get done in 3 hours and 20-30 minutes. Nothing worse than the sun baking down on you as some slow playing POS tacks on an extra hour or two of just standing around in the heat.

We have one of those to. If a fly moves in the next fairway he has to back off. I never even take a practice swing, this guy makes up for it. We go off at 6.07 so we still get done in less than four.

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I had a situation were 4 of us were good friends. Watched KU games together and drank beer together. One of the guys was a big dude who was a good athlete. He played TE for a JuCo team. But he couldn't play golf for shit. He'd stand over the ball and waggle and f*ck around then hit it 30 yards. Still your turn. I didn't want to lose a friend but I just couldn't bear to play golf with him. I just became "unavailable" and didn't play with them any more. Shitty.

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2005, 04:31 PM

Nap, we have a guy like that in our Sunday group. Helluva nice guy. But he's like the Mike Hargrove (remember the human rain delay? He played for the Indians in the 70's and 80's.) of golf.

practice swing.
waggle.
practice swing
waggle.
look up to check pin.-(pssst...it's still in the same place).
waggle.
decides he doesn't like the tee area so he moves it a foot left.(-yea that'll help)
Tosses up some grass clippings to check wind. (just fart next time)
Finally he'll swing. when he ****s up I'll usually say something like "That 3 MPH southerly blew it off course.

He does this over 3 foot putts too. He'll stare and walk around the entire puttlike it's for a US Open title. Then leave it short. That's when somebody will chime in with "Did your bra strap slip to make you leave it that short?"

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 04:36 PM
We have one of those to. If a fly moves in the next fairway he has to back off. I never even take a practice swing, this guy makes up for it. We go off at 6.07 so we still get done in less than four.
Speaking of backing off, have you ever seen anybody stop in the middle of their backswing? I used to do it pretty regularly and people couldn't believe I could do it. It wasn't anything I practiced . I don't think you could practice it. But , if something like a noise or paper blowing into view, I could stop my swing. Total concentration.

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2005, 04:37 PM
I forgot to tell you the most annoying thing this guy used to do. If you were his playing partner and riding in the cart with him, and the two of you hit to oppsite sides of the fairway, instead of this guy heading with club in hand over to his own ball, he'll follow you clear across the fairway to you ball. He'll stand behind you as you line up your shot.
Then after you you hit he'll meander over his ball and go through the human rain delay thing.

That happened with me one time. He walked over to his ball and I drove off for the green. He duffed his and was left wanting for a club.

because of that one experience, I walk. All the time. I refuse to be delayed like that.

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Speaking of players like this, what are some of your favorite phrases used on the golf course?

Like when a guy slices real, real bad and someone will chime in: "If that was any farther right,... it'd be left."

My favorite is when the rain delay was putting and just sweating over a two footer and when he missed it my brother said: Well, you had everything right...'cept for the line and the speed."

Killed him, and broke up the whole group.

NaptownChief
06-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Usually when someone misses a putt by a bunch I will usually say "boy, I don't know how that didn't go in." :D

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 04:50 PM
As my ball sails toward the trees my buddy says "trees are 90% air" to which I reply "Yeah, so is a screen door".

HemiEd
06-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Speaking of players like this, what are some of your favorite phrases used on the golf course?

Like when a guy slices real, real bad and someone will chime in: "If that was any farther right,... it'd be left."

My favorite is when the rain delay was putting and just sweating over a two footer and when he missed it my brother said: Well, you had everything right...'cept for the line and the speed."

Killed him, and broke up the whole group.

On a put that comes up well short: Did your skirt blow up in your face? Or, you probably should take the cover off of that putter.

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
"I haven't seen a stroke that bad..... 'cept at the hospital."

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2005, 06:42 PM
As my ball sails toward the trees my buddy says "trees are 90% air" to which I reply "Yeah, so is a screen door".

"Lassie couldn't find that if it were wrapped in bacon." :)

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2005, 06:45 PM
On a put that comes up well short: Did your skirt blow up in your face? Or, you probably should take the cover off of that putter.

Classic.

Can be interchanged with "Does your husband play too?"

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 11:30 PM
I caught that damned Herzig talking to my ball. I reprimanded him several times but he kept it up. Only I should be allowed to talk to my ball.

Skip Towne
06-25-2005, 11:34 PM
When you see someone skull their driver and barely get past the ladies tee the appropriate response is "Nice shot, Alice".

Shag
06-25-2005, 11:50 PM
Classic.

Can be interchanged with "Does your husband play too?"

Or my personal favorite, "Did you hit that with your purse?". ROFL

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 12:05 AM
After mauling an iron shot:

"Your problem is LOFT: Lack of f*cking talent

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 12:12 AM
After mauling an iron shot:

"Your problem is LOFT: Lack of f*cking talent
Did you just think that up?

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Did you just think that up?

No. I've had a lack of f*cking talent for a long time.

Actually my brother Tim, who has played for 30 years has a million of them.
He blistered one of us with that comment a few months back.

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 12:35 AM
I forgot to tell you the most annoying thing this guy used to do. If you were his playing partner and riding in the cart with him, and the two of you hit to oppsite sides of the fairway, instead of this guy heading with club in hand over to his own ball, he'll follow you clear across the fairway to you ball. He'll stand behind you as you line up your shot.
Then after you you hit he'll meander over his ball and go through the human rain delay thing.

That happened with me one time. He walked over to his ball and I drove off for the green. He duffed his and was left wanting for a club.

because of that one experience, I walk. All the time. I refuse to be delayed like that.
OK, but don't let your future opponents find that out. My golf coach, who taught me how to play, was a great golfer. His name was Odie Wilson and he won the Kansas Amateur one year. Not many do that. Anyway, Odie's boss, who was the supt. of schools, was a good golfer himself although he was old and could only hit it about 200 yds. His name was KI Richey. Well, KI knew he couldn't beat Odie without help. So KI bought a sleeve of every number of Titelist golf balls, 1-9. Then he took a straight pin and marked every ball with "KI" where only he could see it. Then he played the same number of ball that Odie played and just waited for Odie to hit the wrong ball. Odie eventually did and KI assesed him a two stroke penalty. It had Odie so pissed off he couldn't concentrate on beating KI. KI had done his homework and knew Odie could be rattled and took advantage of it. I know some more dirty tricks if anybody is interested.

Herzig
06-26-2005, 10:05 AM
For GoatCheese

Herzig
06-26-2005, 10:08 AM
A friend mine who plays in one of our usual foursomes has bad gas often. When he lets one of his nasty farts, I always tell him "You might as well wipe and call that a shit"

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 11:30 AM
For those of you that don't know, I have 6 brothers. Mike, Pat, Tom, Rich, Tim and terry.

We're out playing this AM. My brother Pat, who had an especially difficult time today, was the reipient of this quip in the clubhouse after the round:

Mike: "Can anybody guess what the most frequently spoken 4 word phrase is in golf, today?"

Everybody: "No, what?"

Mike: "Find it yet, Pat?"

Everybody: "Bwaaaaahaaaaaaaa-haaaaaa!!!!!!!!!"

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Oh and I shot 86 today. A personal best. W00t!!

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, don't get all encouraged about that 86. You were probably just lucky. Hell, everybody knows southpaws can't break 90.

Skip Towne
06-26-2005, 09:28 PM
Oh, here's another one. When your playing partner hits a good tee shot you say "GREAT SHOT, you're way down there by me".

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 10:59 PM
Oh, here's another one. When your playing partner hits a good tee shot you say "GREAT SHOT, you're way down there by me".

Ha! That's a great one.

You can use a variation on that too

"You're down there by me? Wow! You must have crushed it!"

ROYC75
06-26-2005, 11:05 PM

Played Overland Park Golf Club on friday with a HS buddy, shot an 83 on the North and South courses. Should have shot better if I could have putted a lick. It was an easy course I thought, kinda open and not too long.

www.opkansas.org

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 11:35 PM

Next week, (if) I hit a great tee shot I'm going to break out in the famous baseball call from Bobby Thompson's HR to end the 51 regular season.

The Giants win the pennant!!!!

WilliamTheIrish
06-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Played Overland Park Golf Club on friday with a HS buddy, shot an 83 on the North and South courses. Should have shot better if I could have putted a lick. It was an easy course I thought, kinda open and not too long.

www.opkansas.org

Nice job Roy. Wish I could have played Saturday. Instead I got the never ending thrill of digging up a septic tank.

Stink-o

WilliamTheIrish
07-02-2005, 03:56 PM
Golf thread update...

This being the holiday w/e I wanted to know how many other folks were going to be hitting the ball and where.

Today I played at Tomahawk Hills in Kansas City. Shot 91. It's a long course too. Only screwed up a couple shots real bad.

Had a good time.

Tomorrow it's River Oaks in Grandview with all my brothers, then Monday we all tee it at the couse at Lake Perry.

I'm discovering that my new irons are indeed better than my old ones. I haven't changed my swing at all and I've increased my distance by about 7-10 yards per club.

Anybody else playing this w/e?

WilliamTheIrish
07-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Here's the rundown:

Sat morn. Golf at Tomahawk Hills. Long course. About 6100 yds from the tips. Shot 91.

The guy I bought my new Irons from re-shafted my 3W with a somewhat more flexible shaft. I can tell you that after two weeks I'm hitting that little Orlimar off the tee an average 220. I'm hitting it straight and low, a shot that bores into the wind. One of my drives on a par5 was over 250. It's sort of an uphill then downhill run shot but MAN! I hit that well. Was on in 3 on two par 5's but 3 putted them both. UGH!

But I hit my irons and wedges well but putted like a candyazz.

Sunday at River Oaks: Shot 91 again. Course is about 6k long. Again I was just hammering straight tee shots. Irons were a problem. Kept hitting them high and they were drawing right a little instead of my usual fade. Caused me to miss a few GIR.
I walked this entire course and could feel it at the end. I was gassed at the end.

Mon. Played at Lake Perry CC near Ozawkie, Ks. Shorter course. Jusrt over 5300 yds. But the fairways are narrow and many of them slope at 45* and funnel balls down into gutters. Thankfully it was wet and some of my shots stayed up since we had so much rain.
The greens there were really wet. I hit 6 iron on 160 yd par 3 and it plugged short of the green and went so deep I had to dig it out.

Didn't putt real well again as I was 3 putted 5 times and blew 3 birdies and as many pars.
Still, shot an 88 and I'm feeling good that I got to play all weekend.

Now it's almost time to go blow up stuff with some m-80's that my nephew bought from some black market fireworks maker.

Phuggers are loud as hell.