PDA

View Full Version : Alright gearheads..wth is a "Carrier bearing"?

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 09:22 AM
Car place just called me and told me I needed a new one. I've been having some brake noise as of late, and yesterday I had my oil changed and tires rotated/balanced, and it got worse after that, a constant "squealing". They called and said "your carrier bearing was dry, we put some lube on it, but it will need replaced". What is that?

unlurking
06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
no idea, but how much did they say it would cost?

Brock
06-24-2005, 09:25 AM
If it's rear wheel drive, the carrier bearing is usually a bearing supporting the driveshaft.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
no idea, but how much did they say it would cost?
Don't know yet. He was calling Nissan to get a quote.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 09:26 AM
If it's rear wheel drive, the carrier bearing is usually a bearing supporting the driveshaft.
He said something like that. I didn't catch it all. Its a front wheel drive car though.

Goapics1
06-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Here is a link, I think.

http://www.off-road.com/nissan/press/2005_04/titan.html

Brock
He said something like that. I didn't catch it all. Its a front wheel drive car though.

My guess is that there is a bearing on each side of the car supporting the drive shafts that run out to each front wheel. It shouldnt be real expensive to replace. Much cheaper if you're a DIYer.

What kind of car is it?

C-Mac
Its used support a drive shaft if it is needed.

HemiEd
06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
A carrier bearing is usually associated with long drive shafts, such as a 1 ton truck. Some front wheel drive cars have it on the long shaft side. My 86 Daytona had one on the passenger side of the trans/axle because it was off set to the drivers side.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 09:30 AM
My guess is that there is a bearing on each side of the car supporting the drive shafts that run out to each front wheel. It shouldnt be real expensive to replace. Much cheaper if you're a DIYer.

What kind of car is it?
99 Nissan Sentra SE. I think that is what he said (or something to that effect). Do you need any special tools beyond what the average DIYer would have? I've got a couple of buddies who work on my car that might be able to do it.

Radar Chief
06-24-2005, 09:31 AM
:spock: WTF?
What I’m thinking of when you say Carrier Bearing is usually used on trucks where the drive shaft length would be so long that they split the shaft into two and use a Carrier Bearing to support the first half.
The first drive shaft will come out from the transmission, be supported at its other end by a Carrier Bearing. Then it connects to the next drive shaft by a u-joint and the other end of the second shaft will connect to the differential.
What the hell kinda car you got that has a Carrier Bearing? :eek:

Radar Chief
06-24-2005, 09:33 AM

I think Brock is on it.

Brock
06-24-2005, 09:34 AM
99 Nissan Sentra SE. I think that is what he said (or something to that effect). Do you need any special tools beyond what the average DIYer would have? I've got a couple of buddies who work on my car that might be able to do it.

Some metric wrenches and a pickle fork should get it done. You'll want to get a chilton's manual, it'll take you through it step by step. I don't think it would be a big deal, though I'm not familiar with the intricacies of your particular car. It wouldn't hurt to put it on a jack and look at it and see how involved it would be.

C-Mac
06-24-2005, 09:35 AM
:spock: WTF?
What I’m thinking of when you say Carrier Bearing is usually used on trucks where the drive shaft length would be so long that they split the shaft into two and use a Carrier Bearing to support the first half.
The first drive shaft will come out from the transmission, be supported at its other end by a Carrier Bearing. Then it connects to the next drive shaft by a u-joint and the other end of the second shaft will connect to the differential.
What the hell kinda car you got that has a Carrier Bearing? :eek:

Perhaps a front wheel drive car? Agree that it sounds odd.

Phobia
06-24-2005, 09:36 AM
My 86 Daytona had one on the passenger side of the trans/axle because it was off set to the drivers side.

You had an 86?

I drove an 85 Turbo. Thing flew. Then a Fiero pulled out in front of me on ice and it got totaled. Heh. The Fiero lived through it. Then I bought an 88 - no turbo. Wasn't even close to the same, unfortunately.

Skip Towne
06-24-2005, 09:39 AM
My '87 Chevy PU had a carrier bearing. I assume all Chevy PU's had them.

Radar Chief
06-24-2005, 09:40 AM
You had an 86?

I drove an 85 Turbo. Thing flew. Then a Fiero pulled out in front of me on ice and it got totaled. Heh. The Fiero lived through it. Then I bought an 88 - no turbo. Wasn't even close to the same, unfortunately.

A friend of mine had one of those.
It was my first experience with a front wheel drive car that would sit there and absolutely smolder the front tires.

HemiEd
06-24-2005, 09:43 AM
You had an 86?

Another salvage yard rescue. It was a red turbo Z, funny thing, the carrier bearing and shaft had to be special made, stock ones would just fall out when you turned a corner.
I understand your 88 being kind of slow, those four bangers left a lot to be desired without the turbo.

Sam
06-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Carrier bearing for an old Chevy pickup...

Differential bearing on `99 Nissan would be different.
I'd need to know what size engine you had and whether it's an automatic or manual transmission then I could get you some part numbers for it. You might then be able to search the net and find an image or more info.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Carrier bearing for an old Chevy pickup...

Differential bearing on `99 Nissan would be different.
I'd need to know what size engine you had and whether it's an automatic or manual transmission then I could get you some part numbers for it. You might then be able to search the net and find an image or more info.
1999 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0, Automatic Transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

C-Mac
06-24-2005, 12:48 PM
1999 Nissan Sentra SE 2.0, Automatic Transmission. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Where do you live?

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Where do you live?
Topeka, KS.

Brock
06-24-2005, 12:54 PM
TRANSAXLE w/5 SPD M/T , RS5F50V RIGHT w/4 SPD A/T , RE4F04V RIGHT LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
BCA Output Shaft Bearing
1 per car. 30306 Each $24.99 N/A
TRANSAXLE w/5 SPD M/T RS5F50A RIGHT LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY
BCA Output Shaft Bearing
1 per car. 32206 Each $21.99 N/A
TRANSAXLE w/5 SPD M/T RS5F50A LEFT LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Oreillys got em. Part numbers bold.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2005, 12:56 PM
Danke. The shop estimated $40 for the part, and $120 for labor.

Sam
06-24-2005, 02:15 PM
1999 NISSAN/DATSUN SENTRA L4-1998cc 2.0L F/I Vin SR20DE

BCA 32008 BEARING, DIFFERENTIAL 41.070-List 18.500-Prob.Cost
[Differential Bearing]; 4 Spd. Automatic Transaxle

You'll need two, left & right

Brock
06-24-2005, 02:32 PM
You'll have to find out which bearing we're talking about here, I guess. There is a bearing called a differential bearing and another called the output shaft bearing. I dunno which one it is.

Sam
06-24-2005, 02:42 PM

You'll have to find out which bearing we're talking about here, I guess. There is a bearing called a differential bearing and another called the output shaft bearing. I dunno which one it is.

Yeah, I looked in the catalog for a carrier bearing for a `99 Nissan with AT and it came back with Differential bearing. Hope it's a good number.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Here is exactly what is listed on the estimate.

PRODUCT CODE:052-652 REMANUFACTURED RIGHT FRONT DRIVE AXLE R&R AXLE SHAFT CENTER SUPPORT BRG RIGHT SIDE

:shrug:

Brock
06-29-2005, 12:51 PM
You haven't gotten that done yet? Jeezus H, what are you waiting for?

Saulbadguy
06-29-2005, 12:54 PM
They said it would be ok for now.

King_Chief_Fan
06-29-2005, 01:18 PM
A carrier bearing is usually associated with long drive shafts, such as a 1 ton truck. Some front wheel drive cars have it on the long shaft side. My 86 Daytona had one on the passenger side of the trans/axle because it was off set to the drivers side.

I have also heard them referred to as differential bearing and pillow block bearing........but, from what little I know, your description is fairly accurate.

ROYC75
06-29-2005, 01:22 PM
Old pickups, bigger trucks had carrier bearings, I have yet to hear of a front wheel drive car to have them. There is a differential bearing that is custom with front wheel cars, sure he wasn't confused with this ?

BTW, $ 140 labor is hogwash I tell ya,Hogwash, they are ripping you off . What is it, a union shop ?

Saulbadguy
06-29-2005, 01:25 PM
I called the dealership up. I gave up with the parts stores. They still had a record of what I needed because of the shop calling them. A carrier bearing AKA center support bearing. I don't think its the same as a differential bearing. The dealership is ordering me one for $28.58.

I just hope its not too hard to put on. If we can't do it..I suppose i'm only out 28 bucks. Its on the RIGHT FRONT axle.

Bwana
06-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Perhaps a front wheel drive car? Agree that it sounds odd.

Yeah no doubt. Has Mr. Goodwrench been drinking? :BLVD: