PDA

View Full Version : dolphins cut safety

Mr. Laz
06-26-2005, 02:37 PM
seems like they are really going to miss knight/surtain in their secondary this year.

====================
Dolphins cut arrested safety Williams, two others

MIAMI - The Miami Dolphins cut Quintin Williams on Friday, just one day after the second-year safety was arrested on DUI and drag racing charges.

At 4 a.m. Thursday, Williams was clocked driving 111 mph on Interstate 595 near the Dolphins practice facility in Davie with teammate Travares Tillman in his passenger seat, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.

The 22-year-old Williams failed a roadside DUI test and was charged with DUI, racing on a highway and unlawful speeding, Lt. Bill Ferrell said. Williams was released from jail Thursday.

Tillman was allowed to get a ride home with the other driver, Brandy Lynn Richards, but he was not arrested. Richards was charged with unlawful speeding and racing on a highway.

"This is not the kind of behavior we expect from our players," Dolphins coach Nick Saban said Thursday after learning of the arrest.

Williams was signed as an undrafted college free agent last year. He spent the first nine weeks on the practice squad last season and appeared in six games in a reserve role. He was credited with four special teams tackles.

Also Friday, the Dolphins waived wide receiver Luther Huggins and tight end Victor Sesay. Both were signed as undrafted free agents this offseason.

KChiefs1
06-26-2005, 02:44 PM
How about a trade involving Jerome Woods to the Dolphins??????

Wallcrawler
06-26-2005, 02:48 PM
That guy doesnt seem like too big of a loss there. All he put up was 4 Special Teams tackles.

They signed Tebucky Jones to replace Knight anyway because he was so much faster.

Surtain and Knight will be missed im sure, but I dont see this clown making much of an impact had he stayed on the team anyway.

the Talking Can
06-26-2005, 02:48 PM

for the car? hell yes....

Thig Lyfe
06-26-2005, 04:53 PM

In return for...?

KChiefs1
06-26-2005, 06:21 PM
In return for...?

Draft picks! What round would depend on how desperate the Dolphins are....I know the Cowboys are also looking for Safeties. :hmmm:

royr17
06-26-2005, 06:43 PM
With the retirement of Darren Woodson for the Cowboys, they need another safety that has experience that can start opposite of Williams.

Amnorix
06-26-2005, 08:41 PM
Tebucky Jones is fast and a hard hitter, but a pathetic tackler and has bad football instincts all around.

The Dolphins secondary will be significantly less talented than last year. I'm not sure how much it matters, however. I don't know to what degree Saban plans to implement Belichick-type defenses, but my understanding is that he will definitely be doing things following in that mold. If so, the secondary is the least important area of the defense.

Think of the old Giants teams that won two Super Bowls -- any great secondary players?

How about the Patriots last year winning it all even after both starting cornerbacks went down for the count.

The secondary is important, but having elite talent isn't necessary in the Belichick system.

beavis
06-26-2005, 10:57 PM
The secondary is important, but having elite talent isn't necessary in the Belichick system.
You forget we're in the Vermeil system. We require miracles on defense.

htismaqe
06-27-2005, 05:21 AM
Tebucky Jones is fast and a hard hitter, but a pathetic tackler and has bad football instincts all around.

The Dolphins secondary will be significantly less talented than last year. I'm not sure how much it matters, however. I don't know to what degree Saban plans to implement Belichick-type defenses, but my understanding is that he will definitely be doing things following in that mold. If so, the secondary is the least important area of the defense.

Think of the old Giants teams that won two Super Bowls -- any great secondary players?

How about the Patriots last year winning it all even after both starting cornerbacks went down for the count.

I wouldn't exactly call Everson Walls chopped liver. Terry Kinard was pretty good too.

Wallcrawler
06-27-2005, 09:10 AM

Well, he had a good season last year for the saints. He led them in tackles with 101 and had a pick and a fumble recovery. Thats pretty good numbers for a safety. The main question will be whether or not he retains all that speed on natural grass or not.

RedThat
06-27-2005, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't exactly call Everson Walls chopped liver. Terry Kinard was pretty good too.

yep

RedThat
06-27-2005, 10:40 AM

He's done. I doubt we'll get anything for him. Maybe 6th or 7th round picks if we're lucky. Who's gonna want a 32 year old banged up safety? We're better off releasing him, and let Wesley and Bartee battle for the FS spot.

Mr. Laz
06-27-2005, 10:45 AM
He's done. I doubt we'll get anything for him. Maybe 6th or 7th round picks if we're lucky. Who's gonna want a 32 year old banged up safety? We're better off releasing him, and let Wesley and Bartee battle for the FS spot.

evidently we did when we gave him a new contract with a 5 mill signing bonus last year.

RedThat
06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
evidently we did when we gave him a new contract with a 5 mill signing bonus last year.

A classic Carl Peterson move
:shake: