PDA

View Full Version : Predict this year's surprise.

Frankie
06-27-2005, 09:54 AM
Every year there is an undrafted rookie, a low draft choice or a low regarded FA that surprises all by beating out more highly regarded competition to the final roster. Hicks, Sapp, etc. Who do you think will be this year's surprise? Keep in mind, they have to practically come out of nowhere to claim a roster spot and contribute. Although a midround draft choice can also qualify by the magnitude of his surprise, like landing a STARTING position.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Sam Gado will replace Omar Easy quite nicely.

Goapics1
06-27-2005, 09:58 AM
Rich Scanlon.

jspchief
06-27-2005, 09:59 AM
Would Carlos Hall be considered "low regarded"?

He hasn't got much play here on the Planet, but I wouldn't be suprised to see big things from him this year.

BigRedChief
06-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Would Carlos Hall be considered "low regarded"?

He hasn't got much play here on the Planet, but I wouldn't be suprised to see big things from him this year.

Which brings up a frigging sore spot for me. WTF does Hicks get handed his position but Rogers and Allen are suppose to battle it out? Can someone tell me a reasonable explanation for this?

Brock
06-27-2005, 10:10 AM
The Chiefs win a playoff game.

jspchief
06-27-2005, 10:16 AM
Which brings up a frigging sore spot for me. WTF does Hicks get handed his position but Rogers and Allen are suppose to battle it out? Can someone tell me a reasonable explanation for this?I see what you are saying and pretty much agree. The "everyone has to earn their spot" rhetoric from Vermeil only applies to some people.

But to answer your question, I seem to remember reading that Gun wasn't pleased with Allen's play at the end of the year. I don't think the article said why though.

NJ Chief Fan
06-27-2005, 10:31 AM
the chiefs defense will be stellar

Andoverer
06-27-2005, 10:32 AM
Here's one I'd like to see with our new punter....
Chiefs opponents combined to set an NFL season record of most punt return fumbles.

ct
06-27-2005, 10:35 AM
Boomer starting MLB by playoff time.

InChiefsHeaven
06-27-2005, 10:40 AM

Seconded.

I also think that Carlos Hall will be this years Lionel Dalton. The FA that nobody paid much attention to...

CoMoChief
06-27-2005, 10:47 AM
What exactly did Lional Dalton do last season that was so special??? I understand he was probably better than our other DT's, but that's not saying much.

Skip Towne
06-27-2005, 10:48 AM
Think Boomer, baby.

ct
06-27-2005, 10:51 AM
I also think Alphonso Hodge will be getting some good PT by playoff time. Doubt he'll be starting, but will be in the extended package lineup.

Lzen
06-27-2005, 10:53 AM

I believe Easy was a fullback. Gado is a tailback. Different positions. Robert Holcombe was brought in to take over the backup FB position. I do believe he'll be a huge upgrade over Easy.

RedThat
06-27-2005, 10:54 AM

Beer me, you got it mixed up. Sam Gado is a RB and not a FB. He'll probably compete with Jonathan Smith for the 3rd string RB. Omar Easy is a FB and has already been replaced by FB-Robert Holcombe.

Lzen
06-27-2005, 10:55 AM
What exactly did Lional Dalton do last season that was so special??? I understand he was probably better than our other DT's, but that's not saying much.

He blew up some plays. He was the only DT that played well consistently. No, he's no Warren Sapp in his prime but, he was pretty good.

Mr. Laz
06-27-2005, 10:55 AM
Seconded
Think Boomer, baby.
fourth-ed :shrug:

mitchell will still suck .... but will start the first 3/4 games because we love him sooooooooooooo much.

scanlon is just plain worn out from already playing 10 games this year and prolly gets hurt.

Boomer = faster Maz

mlyonsd
06-27-2005, 10:57 AM
The Chiefs start out 1-3 and don't lose another game after that.

RedThat
06-27-2005, 10:57 AM

I somewhat agree with your comments there. Dalton did show some stuff in the beginning of the season. i think it was all to win a starting job at the RDT position. during the later half of the season his play began to diminish.

InChiefsHeaven
06-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I somewhat agree with your comments there. Dalton did show some stuff in the beginning of the season. i think it was all to win a starting job at the RDT position. during the later half of the season his play began to diminish.

What I was getting at was, here was a guy that was barely a blip on the radar when we signed him, poo-pooed by most as an insignificant signing, but it turned out we got alot more bang for that buck. I'm saying that there has been so much hoopla over Surtain, Bell and Knight (and rightly so...) that nobody is paying much attention to Carlos. He'll come up big methinks. Gun apparently really liked the guy when he was in Tennessee...

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-27-2005, 11:03 AM
I believe Easy was a fullback. Gado is a tailback. Different positions. Robert Holcombe was brought in to take over the backup FB position. I do believe he'll be a huge upgrade over Easy.
picky picky... I was just think about the RB position as a whole... and I forgot about Holcombe to be honest.

InChiefsHeaven
06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
The Chiefs start out 1-3 and don't lose another game after that.

Who will the win come against, do you think? Faiders?

RedThat
06-27-2005, 11:04 AM
This year's surprise I predict will be William Bartee:D

you guys heard it here first. I'm a homer, yes. I say Woods gets cut. And Wesley wins the job after TC and pre-season. Then Wes gets hurt, no surpirse there, since he is somewhat injury prone. That leaves the FS job open to William Bartee by default. And Bartee will come in and surprise at the FS position.

htismaqe
06-27-2005, 11:05 AM
This year's surprise?

Goddamn, that's a "gimme".

This year's surprise will be none other than "The Mongoose" -- FRED MITCHELL.

RedThat
06-27-2005, 11:08 AM
What I was getting at was, here was a guy that was barely a blip on the radar when we signed him, poo-pooed by most as an insignificant signing, but it turned out we got alot more bang for that buck. I'm saying that there has been so much hoopla over Surtain, Bell and Knight (and rightly so...) that nobody is paying much attention to Carlos. He'll come up big methinks. Gun apparently really liked the guy when he was in Tennessee...

Oh you gotta good point. No disagreeing with you here. You could be right about Hall, and i sure hope you are. It would be nice to see.

Frankie
06-27-2005, 11:13 AM
Griffin?

Mr. Laz
06-27-2005, 11:13 AM
This year's surprise I predict will be William Bartee:D

you guys heard it here first. I'm a homer, yes. I say Woods gets cut. And Wesley wins the job after TC and pre-season. Then Wes gets hurt, no surpirse there, since he is somewhat injury prone. That leaves the FS job open to William Bartee by default. And Bartee will come in and surprise at the FS position.

too late ... been there, done that :p
should,could or will be??
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118361&highlight=bartee

mine:
DE Allen
DT Sims
DT Dalton
DE Browning

OLB Johnson
MLB Bell
OLB Fujita

CB Surtain
CB Law
FS Bartee (couldn't resist :fire: )
SS Knight

Kclee
06-27-2005, 11:16 AM
Seconded.

I also think that Carlos Hall will be this years Lionel Dalton. The FA that nobody paid much attention to...

I didn't think Hall was a FA. Didn't we give up a 5th or 6th for him. But yes, I see your point and agree.

Frankie
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
To all of you Boomer pimps: Methinks Boomer is solid backup. And that's good. Methinks also that Kawika will be our MLB and a good one. This forum is ready to throw him out the window the way it was with LJ. A couple of solid games by LJ and now he's god! Methinks Kawika will also achieve Planet deity sooner than you think.

RedThat
06-27-2005, 11:20 AM
too late ... been there, done that :p

Damn you Laz, you beat me to the punch!
;)

Frankie
06-27-2005, 11:22 AM
Anyhow, back to the topic. Any surprise standouts from the OTAs that make you predict reasonable future greatness?

RedThat
06-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Laz, you think the Chiefs are going to get Law?

ct
06-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Anyhow, back to the topic. Any surprise standouts from the OTAs that make you predict reasonable future greatness?

Hodge, kid has very good potential, and works his butt off. He does have a ways to go though.

InChiefsHeaven
06-27-2005, 11:42 AM

Here's a name that got thrown out:

KHARI LONG: Maybe, possibly, Long could be the steal of the 2005 Draft for the Chiefs. He has shown a nice explosion off the edge in the pass rush and a willingness to compete. He remains a raw product, but if he can make a contribution in the kicking game, Long has a chance at the last spot on the defensive line.

WTF is this guy?!? Never even heard anyone talk about him, but now they are saying he might be the steal of the draft?? Hmmmm...

ct
06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
Here's a name that got thrown out:

WTF is this guy?!? Never even heard anyone talk about him, but now they are saying he might be the steal of the draft?? Hmmmm...

I saw him once in the public practice. He busted around the edge and would have killed Collins if he were wearing an opponent's jersey. That's only 1 play, but otherwise I didn't know he was there. He was 1 of our 6th round picks btw.

HemiEd
06-27-2005, 12:14 PM
Think Boomer, baby.

My thoughts exactly, BOOMER GRIGSBY!

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
To all of you Boomer pimps: Methinks Boomer is solid backup. And that's good. Methinks also that Kawika will be our MLB and a good one. This forum is ready to throw him out the window the way it was with LJ. A couple of solid games by LJ and now he's god! Methinks Kawika will also achieve Planet deity sooner than you think.
I swear I'm gonna bitch slap you if you say methinks one more time.

Frankie
06-27-2005, 12:36 PM

Methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks, methinks,.............

Nana nana naaana. Nana nana naaana.

:p

Lzen
06-27-2005, 12:36 PM

Methinks beer me needs a valuum. :p