PDA

View Full Version : "...Hakim's Chiefs contract was ruled invalid by the league..."??

jAZ
06-27-2005, 01:34 PM
What's the story on this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2092239&num=0

A month ago, Hakim fired his agent because he felt he would do better in the June market than the May market, when seven teams were pursuing him. By waiting until June, he was left with two options – take a minimum salary, incentive-laden deal with the Chiefs or get $50,000 above the $665,000 minimum to go to the Saints. Once Hakim's Chiefs contract was ruled invalid by the league, Hakim bolted to the Saints.

jspchief
06-27-2005, 01:36 PM
I've yet to see any more info on why the contract was invalid.

TRR
06-27-2005, 01:39 PM
Because the Chiefs ripped the contract up. Even though Hakim signed it, ripping up the contract ruled it null and void.

ptlyon
06-27-2005, 01:41 PM
See, da way I herd it was...

Vermeil and Az went out and got some smack'em jack'em and he said Az was like all over his Kool Aid but den the Dick man herd from Az'z Boss man that it was all about da bling bling...

Take it for what it is worth.

KCChiefsMan
06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=118324&highlight=hakim

I just thought I join the "I'm so f-ing pissed because this is a repost" Club

Bob Dole
06-27-2005, 02:42 PM
As Bob Dole understands it, the NFL reviewed the contract and determined that King Carl's <i>Mahr</i> was insufficient.

The Mahr (Dower)

The next element of the marriage contract is a mandatory marriage gift from the husband to his wife. In Arabic, this gift is called mahr or sadaq. Allah Most High said, [And give the women their dowry as a free gift] (An-Nisaa’ 4:4). He also commanded regarding this by saying: [And give them their compensation as an obligation] (An-Nisaa’ 4:24). The mahr is the sole right of the wife and no one may take any of it without her permission—not even her parents. The dower can be in the form of money, jewelry, clothing, or other material things. It can also be a non-material gift.

The Shari`ah has not specified any amount, but it should be in accordance with the husband’s financial ability and with what is reasonable for the bride in her social status. It is normally determined by agreement between the husband and the bride or her wali. A woman came to the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) and offered herself to him. He declined, so a man who was present with him said, “O Messenger of Allah, marry her to me.” The Prophet asked him, “Do you have anything to give her?” He said, “No.” The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Give her at least an iron ring.” But he still could not afford it. The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) then asked him, “Have you memorized any portion of the Qur’an?” He replied, “I have memorized such-and-such surahs.” The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) then said, “I marry her to you for the portion of the Qur’an that you have memorized.” This means that he was expected to teach her some of what he had memorized and to treat her kindly based on this memorization. All of that would be much more beneficial to the bride than lots of material gifts.

Know that the best dower is that which is light and easiest upon the husband. This is actually a sign of blessing for the bride, as the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him) said, “Verily, a sign of blessing for a woman is that her engagement, dower, and giving birth are all made easy” (Ahmad, Al-Hakim, and others; its chain is good according to Al-Albani). `Umar ibn Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) once gave a sermon in which he said, “Do not be excessive in regard to the women’s dowers.” It is recommended to give the bride her dower immediately after executing the marriage contract. Yet it is a very common practice to divide the mahr into two portions, an advanced and postponed portion. It defeats the very purpose, which is to be a gift prior to having any intimacy with the bride.