PDA

View Full Version : How much,if any,do you spend on fireworks?

Nzoner
06-27-2005, 10:52 PM
Having been working fireworks the last week I was curious as to how much you usually drop on fireworks assuming you live in an area where you can get them.

I've seen a little of everything this week,parents telling kids they could spend $5 to a couple of kids whose mother let them have pretty much what they wanted.

I even had a 70+ year old man who came in with his wife who still loves fireworks.After he dropped $95 his wife rolled her eyes and shook her head.I thanked him and told him he should have a decent little show to which his wife spoke up and said something like,"oh this is just his pre 4th get him by a few nights,he'll be back."

So where are you with this,big show big bucks with the family and friends,just a little for the kids, or no thanks I'll watch others burn their money?

el borracho
06-27-2005, 11:06 PM
$0.

Phobia
06-27-2005, 11:35 PM
I dunno - not much. Some years zilch. Some years $10. Some years up to $40. I don't think I've ever spent over $40.

PastorMikH
06-27-2005, 11:54 PM
I buy a few for the kids. But without bottle rockets (banned in KS and I believe also in OK), shooting fireworks just isn't the same.

We had a lot of good wars back in the day. Usually it was the bystanders that got hurt the most. It is amazing how good you can aim a bottlerocket with a fired roman candle tube*.

* - you try it at your own risk. I was a lot dumber as a teenager, if you follow suit, don't complain about the outcome or hold a grudge.:)

mikey23545
06-28-2005, 12:53 AM
We've probably spent as much as $200 some years...

Nelson Muntz
06-28-2005, 03:20 AM
I think the most I've ever spent is $150. The only reason I spent that much is because I was stocking up on bottlerockets and artillery shells for the year for all the stupid shit I used to do. It didn't help any that a fireworks stand had a gross of bottlerockets for $.49 on the 4th. I filled up the trunk in my old Camry and it had a pretty damn big trunk.

HemiEd
06-28-2005, 04:41 AM
Zip, unless my grandsons come up then what ever they want.

Fairplay
06-28-2005, 04:45 AM
I spend maybe 25 dollars for the fourth in fireworks.

Mile High Mania
06-28-2005, 06:10 AM
I haven't really bought any in years... I live just outside the metroplex and honestly, we just go to the firework shows.

When I was younger, we bought 'em all the time when I lived by the lake. Heh - when I was about 11... a friend of mine and I were shooting bottle rockets on a HOT, WINDY and DRY July day. Well, one thing led to another and we burned down about 20 acres of a wooded area.

Yeah, it was crazy...

Saulbadguy
06-28-2005, 06:11 AM
About 50-75 bucks.

Goapics1
06-28-2005, 06:12 AM
Usually around $100, but this year I have leftovers so I probably drop $50.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-28-2005, 06:18 AM
I don't buy any because they're illegal in Illinois... but if they weren't illegal I wouldn't buy any anyway. Someone always gives us some free stuff and we throw it away a year later... or take it to Kansas with us if we're going there for the holiday.

Soupnazi
06-28-2005, 06:23 AM
About $100 or so. We get together with some friends and neighbors and have a huge block party, everyone contributes. Last year we had somewhere around $2000 worth all together. That makes for a pretty good show.

Skip Towne
06-28-2005, 06:39 AM
I spent $10 once. I think it was 1978.

JimNasium
06-28-2005, 06:45 AM
$20-30 typically for my kids. Much, much more when I was a teen.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2005, 06:53 AM
my buddy gives them to me.

JimNasium
06-28-2005, 06:54 AM
my buddy gives them to me.
You're buddies with Nzoner?

MOhillbilly
06-28-2005, 06:57 AM
You're buddies with Nzoner?

i have a good friend who does shows and whatnot,and he kicks me down some good stuff.

ROYC75
06-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I use to spend $ 100.00 to 300.00 depending on if we were doing our own or going to a big display somewhere. Now it's down to $ 100.00 or less. Money is hard enough to make these days, much less to try and keep it for something else.

Bwana
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Around $100 last year, zero this year. The kids are going to be out of town. :)

seclark
06-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Zip, unless my grandsons come up then what ever they want.
this man knows the true spirit of the 4th. you're a good man hemi.
sec

Eleazar
06-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Haven't bought any in 10 years probably.

Predarat
06-28-2005, 07:54 AM
When I was younger I used to spend a whole bunch. We would have some big displays. Then some sh!tbag would always try to ruin the party and tell us to stop. Usually by that time we would be pretty drunk and procede to fire bottle rockets and roman candles at their house. One time we got about 10 Wichita Police cars called on us. Now days I spend around 50 bucks or so but will probably spend more once the lil' boy grows up some more.

Skip Towne
06-28-2005, 08:04 AM
When I was younger I used to spend a whole bunch. We would have some big displays. Then some sh!tbag would always try to ruin the party and tell us to stop. Usually by that time we would be pretty drunk and procede to fire bottle rockets and roman candles at their house. One time we got about 10 Wichita Police cars called on us. Now days I spend around 50 bucks or so but will probably spend more once the lil' boy grows up some more.
Be thankful you don't live next door to Bwana. There is one shitbag who knows how to play the game.

Wallcrawler
06-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I usually just buy a bunch of bottle rockets. Probably around 25 bucks or so.

Bottle rocket wars rule.

Get yourself one of those yellow plastic toy baseball bats. Hollow plastic, and they always have a small hole in the very bottom of the handle.

Makes for quite an accurate launching tube, while being able to aim and fire without burning your hand when the rocket fires, due to the length of the bat.

jspchief
06-28-2005, 08:29 AM
When I used to buy, my budget was normally about $100, but I usually only spent around $80. That was about ten years ago though, so I imagine it would cost me more now.

MOhillbilly
06-28-2005, 08:41 AM
That was about ten years ago though, so I imagine it would cost me more now.

noshit sherlock?

KCChiefsMan
06-28-2005, 08:43 AM
$0

waste of money

RedNFeisty
06-28-2005, 09:24 AM
We normally drop about fifty bucks, gives the little guy some fun. Since I got my hair caught on fire many years ago, I enjoy watching others chance their fingers and limbs. We also watch the big fireworks show that the city puts on downtown by the river.

Rukdafaidas
06-28-2005, 09:38 AM
My dad bought a year-round fireworks store when I was seven years old and he still owns it. There's no telling how many thousands of dollars I've blown up over the years.
When I was a kid, I'd go to work with him and spend the entire day blowing stuff up.
Now, each year for the fourth, we all chip in and get approximately $2 - $3,000 (retail) worth of fireworks for the annual party. But, we don't spend near that.....Nzoner knows what I'm talking about. There's a huge markup in fireworks.

KCTitus
06-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Nothing, unfortunately. One of the last times I got fireworks was one time in the Ozarks and it was the day of the 4th so the tent was giving 3 or 4 for the price of 1. Spent about 100 bucks and we had so much crap it got boring after a while.

As a kid, we could get in Raytown, 200 firecrackers for 99 cents and that was huge. We would stock up and get a 10 bucks worth and then just spend the days blowing stuff up. They made them illegal about the time I graduated HS.

Oh well...Loved going through the tents and loading up...wish my kids could have the same experience.

Ghostof
06-28-2005, 10:01 AM
I've never had to buy fireworks. My family has sold fireworks for the last 30 years and each year on the 4th we usually have a big display that lasts until midnight, sometimes later.

Its rediculous how much money people waste on paper and things that sparkle and boom.

How about this. How much do you pay for a brick of jumping jacks? $10? $15? $20? We get a case usually, which figures out to be about 1-1.50 a brick! Talk about a markup.

Parachutes? LOL...yeah we are talking about 8 cents a chute, selling it for 75 cents, and most of the time a buck!

Dixie cannons/boom man, etc...the hot item the last few years. I wont tell you how much we buy these for, but we end up selling them $30 minimum and as much as $100.00 They literally fly off the shelves!

I am amazed at all the money that flows in each year. It always starts out slow, then on the 3rd when you havent even met up to the amount you bought that year, money starts flowing in and by the 4th you have $3-5k in profit, after you get the $3-5k back in the first place to cover costs.

Actually, yes I do buy fireworks every year. I may give my parents $20 bucks, but end up lighting a few hundred dollars worth.

chiefs4me
06-28-2005, 10:06 AM
We spend between 400 and 500 dollars.... Yep the kids love us on the 4th.....

kchero
06-28-2005, 10:09 AM
I usually spend around $100 a year...Even though they are illegal in KC, who doesnt shoot them off.

BIG_DADDY
06-28-2005, 10:17 AM
I usually spend around $100 a year...Even though they are illegal in KC, who doesnt shoot them off.

When I can get the good stuff I will spend some $$$. I lost my contact last year though. They are starting to come down hard on fireworks out here though. I have almost been caught a few times and the fines are pretty steap. We have nothing better to do than harrass citizens out here in the People's Republic of California.

StcChief
06-28-2005, 10:59 AM
None. Still have rockets from two-three years ago.

carlos3652
06-28-2005, 11:08 AM
We spend anywhere between $500-$1000 on them... we usually have a big show in our cove every year and everyone trys to do better than the rest... there is about 8 parties of 20+ guest per house in the cove and its just incredible.

carlos3652
06-28-2005, 11:09 AM
We spend anywhere between $500-$1000 on them... we usually have a big show in our cove every year and everyone trys to do better than the rest... there is about 8 parties of 20+ guest per house in the cove and its just incredible.
Of course this money comes from everyone chipping in...

Brock
06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
I usually spend at least 300 dollars, not counting the gas to drive to Missouri so I can buy the good stuff.

Ghostof
06-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Keep buying all those fireworks

all you are doing is funding third world countries

oh, and the medical bills due to retard out there

on that note, BLue Mounds festival should be fun this year, followed by roman candle and bottle rocket fights....glasses and headgear are a priority...everything else is open season.

its a blast too...grab the garden hose, soak yourself down, and then light the candle and fire at your oppenent.

good ol redneck white trash fun.....drinkin+fireworks = trip to hospital

carlos3652
06-28-2005, 11:36 AM
Keep buying all those fireworks

all you are doing is funding third world countries

oh, and the medical bills due to retard out there

on that note, BLue Mounds festival should be fun this year, followed by roman candle and bottle rocket fights....glasses and headgear are a priority...everything else is open season.

its a blast too...grab the garden hose, soak yourself down, and then light the candle and fire at your oppenent.

good ol redneck white trash fun.....drinkin+fireworks = trip to hospital

damn....

Ghostof
06-28-2005, 11:38 AM
Last year we played chicken.

object is to see who can stand closest to the dixie cannon....without the tube to shoot the fireworks in the sky. thats right, light the fuse, stand as close as you can when that thing goes off on the ground and get bathed in sparks...who can stand the cloest gets the prize.

not only get the bragging rights, but last year the prize was over $500 bucks...chump change, but to hold bragging rights for a year, well..its priceless

chuck one of those in a pond or water after dark, nothing quite like watching it light up under the water

MOhillbilly
06-28-2005, 11:43 AM
Last year we played chicken.

object is to see who can stand closest to the dixie cannon....without the tube to shoot the fireworks in the sky. thats right, light the fuse, stand as close as you can when that thing goes off on the ground and get bathed in sparks...who can stand the cloest gets the prize.

not only get the bragging rights, but last year the prize was over $500 bucks...chump change, but to hold bragging rights for a year, well..its priceless

chuck one of those in a pond or water after dark, nothing quite like watching it light up under the water

i could shoot you in the face and the members of CP would give me 50000$.

Ghostof
06-28-2005, 12:04 PM

I would like to see that.

Youre quite the little shit talking bitch on the boards, but when I asked for your address and told you I would be down in your neck of the woods, you didnt reply and kept your mouth shut.

I drove through Springfield around the first of May, went to Branson, then to Eureka SPrings.

Every time I seen a trailer with a junked out car on concrete blocks and some redneck white trash family out in their yard with their collection of Missery lawn trash I thought of you. Hell I even stopped by a few to see if they knew any snot nosed punk asses who like to talk smack on a website....course they didnt even know what a website was.

alpha_omega
06-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Probably $50 or so...all bottle rockets and firecrackers.

Not for the 4th, but for the following weekend at the lake.

alpha_omega
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
We spend between 400 and 500 dollars.... Yep the kids love us on the 4th.....

WOW...that must be a great show!

Lzen
06-28-2005, 12:24 PM

:LOL:

MOhillbilly
06-28-2005, 12:27 PM

Youre quite the little shit talking bitch on the boards, but when I asked for your address and told you I would be down in your neck of the woods, you didnt reply and kept your mouth shut.

I drove through Springfield around the first of May, went to Branson, then to Eureka SPrings.

Every time I seen a trailer with a junked out car on concrete blocks and some redneck white trash family out in their yard with their collection of Missery lawn trash I thought of you. Hell I even stopped by a few to see if they knew any snot nosed punk asses who like to talk smack on a website....course they didnt even know what a website was.

pssss i own a house AND land. plus i told you where i was, the exact corner.
what fool would come to my house just to die?
Now please use the search function,and id be more than happy to break your face.

Lzen
06-28-2005, 12:27 PM
Usually about $50-$100. I used to always get a brick of jumping jacks for myself (and only paid about $5) but haven't really been that interested the past couple years. We mainly just buy them for the kids.

Lzen
06-28-2005, 12:29 PM

Not to step on your testosterone fest but, do you really expect anyone to believe this?
:rolleyes:

Saulbadguy
06-28-2005, 12:31 PM
pssss i own a house AND land. plus i told you where i was, the exact corner.
what fool would come to my house just to die?
Now please use the search function,and id be more than happy to break your face.
Could I come to your house to exchange recipes?

MOhillbilly
06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
yes Saul youre welcome anytime.

Saulbadguy
06-28-2005, 12:37 PM
Cool. As long as you promise not to slit my throat. Or show many anymore naked skinheads.

Lzen
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM

Is that what you kids are calling it these days?

NTTAWWT

KChiefsQT
06-28-2005, 12:38 PM
Used to spend about 250 buttttt... this year Fireworks are banned in our town. Sad!

chuxtrux
06-28-2005, 01:55 PM
I spent about 3 bucks at one of those tents yesterday off the Holmes highway or whatever. Also to the guy that said he works there, if you need any more help, this unemployed college student could use teh work :)

Nzoner
06-28-2005, 11:06 PM
Last year we had somewhere around $2000 worth all together. That makes for a pretty good show.

I can relate to that,being in the ad business has it's advantages when dealing with the fireworks people as they love to trade product for ad space.Last year we set off 3000 saturn missles,16,000 black cat crackers and had 4 platforms of artillery shells and multi-shots going all at the same time.

Nzoner
06-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Now, each year for the fourth, we all chip in and get approximately $2 - $3,000 (retail) worth of fireworks for the annual party. But, we don't spend near that.....Nzoner knows what I'm talking about. There's a huge markup in fireworks.

No shit,12 cents for a gross of bottle rockets that you can easily turn for 89 cents or better.I'm working for a company that set me up though and took care of everything so I don't get those kind of prices.I did however do my regular trade with my other advertisers so I'll be having my show a couple of weeks after the 4th.

Skip Towne
06-29-2005, 09:25 AM
No shit,12 cents for a gross of bottle rockets that you can easily turn for 89 cents or better.I'm working for a company that set me up though and took care of everything so I don't get those kind of prices.I did however do my regular trade with my other advertisers so I'll be having my show a couple of weeks after the 4th.
Is business getting better as the Fourth gets closer?

Coach
06-29-2005, 09:37 AM
I haven't really bought any in years... I live just outside the metroplex and honestly, we just go to the firework shows.

When I was younger, we bought 'em all the time when I lived by the lake. Heh - when I was about 11... a friend of mine and I were shooting bottle rockets on a HOT, WINDY and DRY July day. Well, one thing led to another and we burned down about 20 acres of a wooded area.

Yeah, it was crazy...

Heh, yeah I did something similar to that, only a bit more extreme. There were a group of kids, say about a dozen on one side, and another dozen on another, and we would be playing in the park, where there is alot of acres to roam around. It's like a game of "capture the flag" only this time, there is no tagging, you're out, game. We had ammo of fireworks, and I mean we were loaded with them.

We would have some guys loaded with some roman candles to shot at people, some fireworks to use them as hand gernades, and several others as artillery and all. It was very risky, but if you know what you're doing, you'll be all right. We did have protection, such as padded coats and whatever we could find to protect our skins. We had a few freak incidents, but nothing major.

Dave Lane
06-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I've spent $1000 before usually $2-300

Dave

Nzoner
06-29-2005, 11:10 PM
Is business getting better as the Fourth gets closer?

Sorry I couldn't answer this sooner but I took the morning off to catch a movie and rest up and when I got back it was very busy.Just now getting around to calling it a day.

Logical
06-29-2005, 11:39 PM
Zero dollars and haven't spent anything in well over 20 years. Well before I moved to CA.

BigMeatballDave
06-29-2005, 11:46 PM
When I lived in Mo, I spent quite a bit. They are illegal everywhere around my area, unless, of course its a professional display...

Dave Lane
06-29-2005, 11:47 PM
I spent $10 once. I think it was 1978.

Was that to celebrate your retirement? ROFL

Dave

Logical
06-29-2005, 11:51 PM
Was that to celebrate your retirement? ROFL

Dave

Zing...not bad, not bad at all. :D