PDA

View Full Version : Best movies of 2005

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:16 AM
All the movie talk got me going back and looking over the movies that I've seen this year. It's quite a few. So. I've decided to make a couple polls. We'll start with 2005.

Pick your top five!

luv
06-28-2005, 02:19 AM
All the movie talk got me going back and looking over the movies that I've seen this year. It's quite a few. So. I've decided to make a couple polls. We'll start with 2005.

Pick your top five!
So a poll is forthcoming? I'll need choices, cuz I do not keep track of when a movie came out. I'd say Spiderman 2, but wasn't that 2004?

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:19 AM
1.Batman Begins
2.Sin City
3. Kung fu hustle
4.Kingdom of heaven
5.Cinderella Man

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:20 AM
So a poll is forthcoming? I'll need choices, cuz I do not keep track of when a movie came out. I'd say Spiderman 2, but wasn't that 2004?

Yes that was 2004 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316654/

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:22 AM

Pick your top five!

I picked mine whats yours ?

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:23 AM
Sorry I didn't put "Kung Fu..." on the list. I only had one space left, and I wanted an "other" option.

I figured I'd leave off the kidsy movies like "Madagascar" too...

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:26 AM
I picked mine whats yours ?

Had to think for a second...

5. Mr and Mrs Smith
4. The Jacket
3. Kingdom of Heaven
2. Batman Begins

1. Crash

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Sorry I didn't put "Kung Fu..." on the list. I only had one space left, and I wanted an "other" option.

I figured I'd leave off the kidsy movies like "Madagascar" too...

Thats cool just has long has no one votes for White Noise Son of the Mask or House of Wax :)

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:28 AM
i havent seen Crash is it that good ?

keg in kc
06-28-2005, 02:28 AM
Batman Begins
Sin City
Episode 3
Constantine
Kingdom of Heaven

That's pretty much everything I've seen this year, except for the disappointing Hitchhiker's Guide. None of them were life-affirming or -changing films, although I did see BB twice opening week (that's rare). I enjoyed Sin City. I enjoyed Episode 3, but I don't know that I want to see it again (I'm afraid it will get worse with further viewings). I'm one of like ten people who liked Constantine and while Kingdom of Heaven wasn't nearly perfect, it was a pretty decent flick.

I pretty much only go to films I'm sure I'm going to like...

Next on the list is WotW.

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:30 AM
Thats cool just has long has no one votes for White Noise Son of the Mask or House of Wax :)

:D
Should have definately bumped "Mask." God that was retarded. I just didn't want to bump ANY of the movies that I'd seen... Except "Employee of the Month." That movie was so terrible I don't even like bringing it up. I was expecting a Coen Bros type of movie and got a big pile of steaming (explitive)...

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:31 AM
[QUOTE=keg in kc]ten people who liked Constantine

Stand and Unight my brother!!!!!!

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:33 AM
i havent seen Crash is it that good ?

Yes.

If it wasn't for "Hotel Rwanda," "Crash" would be my favorite movie of the past two years... It's amazing.

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:33 AM
Am i the only person who saw Kung fu hustle :(

luv
06-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Since I have not seen any of the mentioned films, I chose five that i wouldn't mind seeing.

Mr and Mrs Smith, White Noise, Hide and Seek, Batman Begins, and Coach Carter.

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Mcan you need to make the 5 worst movies of 2005 now

Hammock Parties
06-28-2005, 02:36 AM
I heard Star Wars was pretty good.

keg in kc
06-28-2005, 02:36 AM
I think that a lot of my moviegoing experiences in the last few years have been hurt by knowing too much beforehand, so I'm trying to wean myself off of any kind of spoilers. It hasn't been easy. I'm trying to learn how to get a vibe from reviewers that I trust without reading too many specifics. Fine line, there.

I think it's ruined a lot of television for me, too. It got to the point where the joy was finding out what was going to happen on some series before I saw it. Then the show's inevitably a let-down. I've had a really hard time with Battlestar Galactica on that, because it aired in the UK early. Even now, though, I'll find myself sometimes looking at rumors and spoilers. Then I smack myself and say "stop".

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
Mcan you need to make the 5 worst movies of 2005 now

There are some bad ones up on that list. But none beats out "The Boogeyman." I rented that stinker the other night, and nearly beat my head against a wall. I don't know why, but something told me... Go ahead... It'll be cool... Even if it's cheezy... It'll at least be fun... The box says "Scariest movie EVER!"...

:cuss:

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:40 AM
I think that a lot of my moviegoing experiences in the last few years have been hurt by knowing too much beforehand, so I'm trying to wean myself off of any kind of spoilers. It hasn't been easy. I'm trying to learn how to get a vibe from reviewers that I trust without reading too many specifics. Fine line, there.

I think it's ruined a lot of television for me, too. It got to the point where the joy was finding out what was going to happen on some series before I saw it. Then the show's inevitably a let-down. I've had a really hard time with Battlestar Galactica on that, because it aired in the UK early. Even now, though, I'll find myself sometimes looking at rumors and spoilers. Then I smack myself and say "stop".

If you ever want to know anything about a movie before you spend your money, just ask me or send me a PM. I'm not saying I see them all, but I can give you an opinion and a brief blurb without giving away anything that would ruin the movie.

I'm actually one of those people that like to know a lot about a movie before I go in (unless there is some kind of twist ending that is crucial to the experience ala: Psycho). I find that not having to guess my way through the plot helps me to focus more on the acting and directing. Basically I'm more interested in the way that the story is told, and not the story itself. (most of the time)...

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 02:44 AM
There are some bad ones up on that list. But none beats out "The Boogeyman." I rented that stinker the other night, and nearly beat my head against a wall. I don't know why, but something told me... Go ahead... It'll be cool... Even if it's cheezy... It'll at least be fun... The box says "Scariest movie EVER!"...

:cuss:

You know what really pissed me off about that movie

Spoiler warning

At the end of the movie its like he Totally forgot he had a fiance he claimed to love so much

keg in kc
06-28-2005, 02:52 AM
If you ever want to know anything about a movie before you spend your money, just ask me or send me a PM. I'm not saying I see them all, but I can give you an opinion and a brief blurb without giving away anything that would ruin the movie.

I'm actually one of those people that like to know a lot about a movie before I go in (unless there is some kind of twist ending that is crucial to the experience ala: Psycho). I find that not having to guess my way through the plot helps me to focus more on the acting and directing. Basically I'm more interested in the way that the story is told, and not the story itself. I generally see stuff the day it opens. I have a few websites that I trust and follow almost religiously, so, in terms of quality, I'm not surprised very often.

What I'm really trying to avoid are any specific details about the plot, and to avoid going into the film with any preconcieved notions, generally of the negative variety. I've found that, with me at least, I often get out of a film what I take into it. If I read a review that talks about something that annoys the critic, then I'll invariably go into the movie looking for that, instead of going in and just seeing the film with my own eyes. And I'd like to be surprised occasionally, to be honest.

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:54 AM
You know what really pissed me off about that movie

Spoiler warning

At the end of the movie its like he Totally forgot he had a fiance he claimed to love so much

The whole movie FORGOT! Where the f*ck is everybody?! It pisses me off to no end. He's like "it's over." No it's not! There are still like 17 missing people. You haven't seen body 1. Start looking. In fact, I don't think you should have killed have booger guy until he showed you exactly where to find your dad/friends/uncle/children... Tell him that you're going to count to five and before you get to six, he had better bring everybody back or there will be hell to pay. Also, what the hell is motivating this damned monster? Why has he been dormant for fifteen years? This movie is so stupid. And the dialogue is super quiet so you have BLARE your TV just to hear anything. Then when something jumps out at you it's like watching a damned local commercial because the volume goes up like quadrouple... I got so pissed off, I had to watch the deleted scenes and the alternate ending just to see if maybe there was something that they had to cut (for time or maybe it looked terrible) that would explain SOMETHING! No such luck. Well, the alternate ending did LOOK like chit, but it didn't explaing a damned thing...

mcan
06-28-2005, 02:59 AM
If I read a review that talks about something that annoys the critic, then I'll invariably go into the movie looking for that, instead of going in and just seeing the film with my own eyes. And I'd like to be surprised occasionally, to be honest.

Right on. I respect that big time. I actually think that's what happens with most people. It's my theory for how movies like "The Thin Red Line" get nominated for best picture. And how movies like "Gosford Park" get such great reviews. Buzz stars forming about how GREAT something is, and then people go in and see what they think is 'supposed' to be there. But the emporer ain't wearing any clothes y'all...

oaklandhater
06-28-2005, 03:02 AM
did you see how stupid the ppl were in that movie like Kate
Knock on the door and no answer usually means no one is home. Does she leave? NOOOO! "Tim? Hello? ....." No answer yet again. Instead of leaving the food their she goes creeping about yelling "Hello?" Repeating herself likesome idiotic parrot. Still no answer. Now she actually goes upstairs and opens doors looking for the dude. Does she think "maybe he isn't home" Hell no! When Tim finally comes out of the closet she was like "Oh how long have you been waiting?" Like he stayed there ever since she first offered to bring food for a cheap laugh. Horror movies just ain't the same anymore. You seen everything a million times already.

mcan
06-28-2005, 03:12 AM
I actually thought she was going to look for him in the closet... Everybody was stupid. I also love how he and the girl are standing outside the house, and she says "I have to go home" and he just looks over at the house and says something like "I know this house" and they go in... This must be a clue. This random house must be somehow connected. Ooops... Now we're psychic... He shut himself in... He tried to face it... He couldn't do it... Maybe the worst convention EVER.

I have to admit, the time loop thing was pretty cool. (The fact that it was actually HIS blood on the tub).

Wish it would have payed off somehow!!!!!

NJ Chief Fan
06-28-2005, 03:24 AM
sin city cause its the only movie ive seen

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-28-2005, 06:53 AM
White Noise is the only movie on the list that I've seen....and it was on DVD last weekend. I almost never go to the theatre.

Goapics1
06-28-2005, 07:00 AM
The Longest Yard is the only new one I have seen, thus I chose other.

Thig Lyfe
06-28-2005, 07:02 AM
1. Cinderella Man
2-5 I dunno

Wallcrawler
06-28-2005, 07:52 AM
Ive only seen three of them, and I cant really give an accurate ranking of them without having seen all of them.

Anyway, the ones I have seen rank like this.

1. Batman Begins

2. Star Wars EP III

3. Hostage

Id like to see Mr and Mrs Smith, and Id rent White Noise if I could ever catch it in at the videostore. Damn thing is always rented.

Jenson71
06-28-2005, 08:31 AM
I've seen Hide and Seek and Cinderella Man. Neither were anything to write home about.

KCChiefsMan
06-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Star Wars, Sin City and Hostage. I haven't seen Batman yet

ct
06-28-2005, 08:58 AM
I've seen none of these, 3 kids don't leave much time for movie outings.

CORRECTION: I have seen In Good Company, very good film!

I would like to see:

Sin City
Episode III
Hitchhiker's Guide
Hitch
Hide and Seek
Miss Congeniality 2
Other: Motorcylce Diaries

mcan
06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I've seen none of these, 3 kids don't leave much time for movie outings.

CORRECTION: I have seen In Good Company, very good film!

I would like to see:

Sin City
Episode III
Hitchhiker's Guide
Hitch
Hide and Seek
Miss Congeniality 2
Other: Motorcylce Diaries

I liked In Good Company. I love Dennis Quaid. Very underrated actor, IMO.
Motorcycle Diaries came out in 2004 though. IMDB Motorcycle diaries (http://imdb.com/title/tt0318462/)

PunkinDrublic
06-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Anything that's not a remake or a ****ing comic book movie.

Deberg_1990
06-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Triple XXX State of the Union

Frazod
06-28-2005, 06:15 PM
Good God - is they actually anybody out there who's actually seen all those movies?

I've only seen two of them - Star Wars and Batman. Batman is much better than Star Wars.

Takes a lot to get me into the theater anymore, considering how obscenely high ticket and concession prices are.

Thig Lyfe
06-28-2005, 06:19 PM
I've seen Hide and Seek and Cinderella Man. Neither were anything to write home about.

I beg to differ. Cinderella Man was an excellent film, by far the best of the year.

So there. :p

Digital Takawira
06-28-2005, 06:21 PM
sin city
batman begins
the jacket

mcan
06-28-2005, 06:54 PM
Good God - is they actually anybody out there who's actually seen all those movies?

I've only seen two of them - Star Wars and Batman. Batman is much better than Star Wars.

Takes a lot to get me into the theater anymore, considering how obscenely high ticket and concession prices are.

The first sixteen are the movies that I've seen. The last 13 are movies that have been in the top ten weekly box office numbers at some point in 2005, but I have NOT seen. There were a couple that I had to leave off the list because of the polls limit of 30 spaces, and because nobody probably thinks the Sisterhood of the Pants or Madagascar is the best movie of the year... A couple doozies made the list anyway. Like "The Mask 2" and "The Boogeyman," which was the top movie in the nation when it came out, and was on the top ten list for a couple weeks before the movie going public came to it's senses...

WolfDawg
06-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Amber the Lesbian Queefer

Dayze
06-28-2005, 09:25 PM
the best ones are the ones that I don't pay $8.50 at a theater to watch.

CosmicPal
06-28-2005, 10:22 PM
I haven't seen ANY of those movies.

Jenson71
06-28-2005, 10:33 PM
I beg to differ. Cinderella Man was an excellent film, by far the best of the year.

So there. :p

It's one of the most cliched, uncreative films I've seen in a while. It's made for an Oscar and there's nothing real deep to be found at all.

It's like Rocky with different clothes. God, and there's the bad guy, of course. I mean how lazy can you be? "Ohh, this is good. This is good. Make the opponent be a whore chaser. Oh, the audience will hate this guy! And...make him say something about his wife there. Perfect!"

Oh, please. Here's a new idea. Two good guys happen to be boxers. One is a single father, another is a new husband. The audience grows to like both. They're both good. They both have to beat the hell out of each other. Now, this is something we call...drama.

Jenson71
06-28-2005, 10:45 PM
And that Renee lady, she read that script and she said oh god, I'll have my second oscar! No, you suck. "I'll always be behind you, James J. Braddock" Cue the sad choir. Cue the audience wiping away their tears. Cue Jenson kicking his chair at how lame the whole damn thing was.

Jenson71
06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Okay here's a question. Russell Crowe was 4 years into the depression yet he still looked as good as he did when he was boxing. Don't give me any crap about how he worked on the docks. He worked on those docks as much as the skinny bastards. What's his deal? Did he do pushups at home? Nope didn't see that. And yeah, his milk is gone. And here's another question. Why'd you have your heat/electricty on in the summer? Oh, how inconvient that you no longer have it during the f-ing winter. Oh, wait, it's convient because now we'll cry more, right Ron?

Jenson71
06-28-2005, 10:51 PM
Giamatti wasn't bad though.

Nzoner
06-28-2005, 11:40 PM
I've only seen Kingdom Of Heaven & Hostage and although I enjoyed both I'm sure there's better.

Tomorrow I'm going to see War Of The Worlds and hoping it lives up to the hype.

Frazod
06-29-2005, 07:39 AM
I read Ebert's review of WOTW on the train this morning. He ripped it.

I'll still go see it, though. And I guess it never hurts to have my expectations diminished.

beavis
06-29-2005, 09:15 AM
4. The Jacket
Heh, just watched this one earlier in the week. Cool flick, very Jacob's Ladder-ish. Plus anything that has Kiera Knightly nekkid can be all that bad. What's your theory on what really happened to him?

mcan
06-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Heh, just watched this one earlier in the week. Cool flick, very Jacob's Ladder-ish. Plus anything that has Kiera Knightly nekkid can be all that bad. What's your theory on what really happened to him?

I didn't realize there was anything all that ambiguous. I saw it in New York during Spring Break and really liked it. I don't think there's any reason to believe that he actually is traveling forward through the mortuary hold. Regardless, it's totally original and the performances are solid enough that you actually care for everybody in the movie. Maybe I missed something. Did they ever hint that there was some other explanation? Maybe you're talking about something else...

Miles
06-29-2005, 11:46 PM
I have only seen a few of em but Sin City was great. Im usually not big on the comic book/graphic novel genre but it was a damn good action flick.

teedubya
06-30-2005, 12:06 AM
War of the Worlds should have been on this list. -2 for mcan.

mcan
06-30-2005, 01:43 AM
War of the Worlds should have been on this list. -2 for mcan.

This poll was made a a couple days ago... Before WOTW came out... Sorry.

beavis
06-30-2005, 08:35 AM
I didn't realize there was anything all that ambiguous. I saw it in New York during Spring Break and really liked it. I don't think there's any reason to believe that he actually is traveling forward through the mortuary hold. Regardless, it's totally original and the performances are solid enough that you actually care for everybody in the movie. Maybe I missed something. Did they ever hint that there was some other explanation? Maybe you're talking about something else...
The deleted scenes on the dvd kind of hinted at several different possible outcomes. I think the best one is that he died in the hospital in Iraq in 1991.

Of course, if I'd just gotten shot in the head, I'd probably want to see Kiera Knightly naked too. :drool:

SCTrojan
06-30-2005, 09:32 AM
My taste in movies would probably be considered low-brow, but I liked both Hitch and Mr. and Mrs. Smith. Saw Bewitched, and I'm not sure how I feel about that movie.

irishjayhawk
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Yep, very low indeed :P

irishjayhawk
06-30-2005, 11:26 AM
I read Ebert's review of WOTW on the train this morning. He ripped it.

I'll still go see it, though. And I guess it never hurts to have my expectations diminished.
Yep, I didn't rip it as much as he did but when i reviewed it to a friend, it reminded me of his review. Too many questions, too little character dev......good fx though.

mcan
06-30-2005, 12:38 PM
The deleted scenes on the dvd kind of hinted at several different possible outcomes. I think the best one is that he died in the hospital in Iraq in 1991.

Of course, if I'd just gotten shot in the head, I'd probably want to see Kiera Knightly naked too. :drool:

I forgot about the beginning. I need to go buy the movie. I liked it enough, and I obviously need a refresher. Anyway, I don't like the explanation that he died and this is all a fantasy. I mean, what's at stake then? Is this his version of purgatory or something? I'll check out the deleted scenes, but I like taking it at face value. Movies that can capture my imagination by taking me to worlds where the impossible becomes possible but it remains intelligent are the cream of the crop. That's why I love "Being John Malcovich" and "Magnolia" and "Fight Club." Just interesting stories in messed up worlds, but grounded in a very real enviornment.

Iowanian
06-30-2005, 01:17 PM
I haven't seen that many movies this year in the theater....can't even say what the last one actually was.

Kcchiefman's dynasty is my favorite..
"wombwrecker 29, the punishment continues."

beavis
06-30-2005, 02:33 PM
I forgot about the beginning. I need to go buy the movie. I liked it enough, and I obviously need a refresher. Anyway, I don't like the explanation that he died and this is all a fantasy. I mean, what's at stake then? Is this his version of purgatory or something? I'll check out the deleted scenes, but I like taking it at face value. Movies that can capture my imagination by taking me to worlds where the impossible becomes possible but it remains intelligent are the cream of the crop. That's why I love "Being John Malcovich" and "Magnolia" and "Fight Club." Just interesting stories in messed up worlds, but grounded in a very real enviornment.
If you haven't seen it, check out Jacob's Ladder. I think it's pretty much the same premise as The Jacket. It was immediately the first thing that popped into my head.

Listen closely to his references to "the first time I died". That's what was really getting me. Also, I read somewhere that the little boy that shot him in Iraq is the same boy they give electroshock too in 2007. I'm going to have to watch it again to go along with that.

On the dvd, they actually had the screenwriter on introducing some of the deleted scenes, and she made it sound like that she was trying to leave it up to the viewer to decide what the truth was. Kinda cool, but really frustrating at the same time.