PDA

View Full Version : Ashley Ambrose, our new CB?

Bootlegged
06-28-2005, 04:50 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/12000685.htm

chiefs seek corner

Law is still in picture

Ambrose, however, remains favorite

As week two of the Chiefs’ search for a cornerback began Monday, Ashley Ambrose emerged as the realistic favorite, and Ty Law kept his spot somewhere high on the speed dial.

Coach Dick Vermeil said Monday night that the Chiefs are “very interested” in Ambrose, a 13-year veteran who worked out in Kansas City late last week. The holdup, at least in part, is Law, the Pro Bowl corner who visited the Chiefs in March and is still on the market.

The Chiefs want Law if he will sign for a dramatically reduced price. But Law, who just began making cuts on his surgically repaired foot, reportedly wants big money.

“The thought is to play the whole scenario out,” Vermeil said, “and the scenario does include a final evaluation of Ty Law in terms of what is actually going to happen from a financial standpoint.

“First off, can he pass the physical? And then we have to find out how much money he’s going to be offered on the open market. If he’s going to be offered big money, then we’re automatically out of it.”

While Law was rehabbing his foot this spring, the Chiefs signed cornerback Patrick Surtain, safety Sammy Knight, linebacker Kendrell Bell and defensive end Carlos Hall. The defense appeared to be complete, but then Julian Battle tore his Achilles’ heel during minicamp June 18.

Battle was running with the first team because starter Eric Warfield may miss at least part of the season due to an NFL suspension.

So the Chiefs brought in four free-agent cornerbacks last week who are nearing the twilight of their careers, and Ambrose, 34, was the most impressive. He started six games last year for the Saints and was a Pro Bowler with the Bengals in 1996. After watching film on Ambrose, a 5-foot-11, 195-pound Louisiana native, Vermeil said it’s obvious he can still play.

Ambrose’s agent, Kennard McGuire, said three teams have shown “a tremendous amount of interest,” but Ambrose is patient and wants to find the right fit.

“He’s been to the Pro Bowl, he’s done extremely well from a contractual standpoint,” McGuire said. “I believe more pressing issue with him is being afforded that opportunity to play with a contender. He feels like this is one of situations he’s been waiting on.”

Ambrose will need patience. Vermeil, who’s vacationing in Pennsylvania, said it’s unclear how long the Chiefs will wait to sign a corner. Training camp starts July 28 in River Falls, Wis.

He said the Chiefs have no immediate plans to bring Law in for a physical.

“I think realistically that we, in the future, will make a move on Ashley,” Vermeil said. “Right now we’ve just decided to be patient and see what happens.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ExtremeChief
06-28-2005, 05:00 AM
He would probably be better than McCleon.

beer bacon
06-28-2005, 05:05 AM
Why would they want Ambrose over Beasley?

DaWolf
06-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Why would they want Ambrose over Beasley?
Ambrose ripped off his sleeves and grew a beard...

the Talking Can
06-28-2005, 05:47 AM
sweet, he was in the pro bowl....a decade ago...anyone got Merton Hanks number?

tomahawk kid
06-28-2005, 06:37 AM
I have a hard time believing that the oldest guy there looked the best in the tryouts.

I would be a little upset that THIS guy was our favorite, if we needed him for more than 2-4 games.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-28-2005, 06:40 AM
He would probably be better than McCleon.
yep... he can't be worse at least.

tomahawk kid
06-28-2005, 06:45 AM
The funny thing about this, is that Chiefs tried out Ambrose in the 1999 offseason and decided to go with Chris Dishman instead.

Apparently, Ambrose has improved with age.

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-28-2005, 06:48 AM
The funny thing about this, is that Chiefs tried out Ambrose in the 1999 offseason and decided to go with Chris Dishman instead.

Apparently, Ambrose has improved with age.
I liked Chris Dishman. I remember vividly an interception he took back for a td. Might have been the only one he ever had... but I remember it.

tomahawk kid
06-28-2005, 06:49 AM
I liked Chris Dishman. I remember vividly an interception he took back for a td. Might have been the only one he ever had... but I remember it.

I remember that. I was against the Raiders in Oakland.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 07:08 AM
No...No...No...No...No...Not Ashley Ambrose! He should retire and hang up those cleets. The guy is done. He was good 8-10 years ago. But that was then, this is now. The guy is bad now, he plays on a bad defense, and is on the worst pass defense in the league. I remember Marvin Harrison and Peyton Manning made him look silly one game. That was a one of the games where Peyton Manning threw for like 6 TD's. Why would the Saints release him? Why would they trade for Mike McKenzie? Cause Ashley Ambrose is not that good. That's all there is to it. What makes this move even worse is, the Saints do have a pretty good defensive line, but, like us, their cover corners we're awful. He could be better than McCleon, I agree with what some of you say, but, not by much. On the other hand, what can we expect from signing a guy for the veteran minimum? These are the type of caliber players we are going to get for cheap I guess.

Mr. Kotter
06-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Ashley Ambrose = Chris Dishman/Ray Crocket....but I guess the price is right. :(

Dr. Johnny Fever
06-28-2005, 07:15 AM
I remember that. I was against the Raiders in Oakland.
YES! sweet.

htismaqe
06-28-2005, 07:22 AM
Ashley Ambrose - 3 INT's, 22 solo tackles

Eric Warfield - 4 INT's, 43 solo tackles
Dexter McCleon - 2 INT's, 30 solo tackles
William Bartee - 0 INT's, 38 solo tackles

It's all about the $$$.

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 07:31 AM
Did someone say smokescreen?

Wallcrawler
06-28-2005, 07:32 AM
You have to pay for talent guys.

All of you still living in the wet dream that Ty Law is going to go against everything he has said this whole time and just take the vet minimum and play for the Chiefs need to wake the hell up.

The Chiefs cant afford to add another top flight player, or this offseason with the way it has gone, Im sure they would have.

We got 3 former pro bowlers and the most decorated linebacker in the draft. Thats four top caliber players in one offseason.

Thats way more than ANYONE ever expected from the Chiefs. Anyone else added for depth on this team right now is gravy.

When youre paying the Vet Minimum, youre not going to be adding superstar players. Besides, think about this. Ambrose will be brought in to replace JULIAN BATTLE. A scrub who has done jack so far during his time with the Chiefs, and before the season started was a bit of a longshot to even make the team.

At the very least on this Ambrose deal if it happens, we break even. Im quite sure that Ambrose still has enough talent to match what Julian Battle could have done this season.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Did someone say smokescreen?

Are you trying to say Ty Law?

htismaqe
06-28-2005, 07:35 AM
At the very least on this Ambrose deal if it happens, we break even. Im quite sure that Ambrose still has enough talent to match what Julian Battle could have done this season.

Very well said. I'd still rather have Beasley, but at this point, even Ambrose is better than what we have.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 07:39 AM
Ambrose is not that good guys. I guess to get a guy to come in here for cheap, and start 4 games, this is what we have to expect. Very least he's a nickle back now.

htismaqe
06-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Ambrose is not that good guys. I guess to get a guy to come in here for cheap, and start 4 games, this is what we have to expect. Very least he's a nickle back now.

Beggars can't be choosers. Would you rather have McCleon start those 4 games? I know I wouldn't.

Wallcrawler
06-28-2005, 07:43 AM

Battle isnt that good either, but they were going to go with him.

None of the guys out there available are that good. Aaron Beasley was moved from Cornerback to Safety at one point.

Dewayne Washington? Please.

There isnt anyone that is going to knock anyone's socks off available for what the Chiefs can pay.

If Ambrose is the one with the most skill in the workouts, then thats who they will take. In any case, it will still be better than Julian Battle/Dexter Mcleon starting in my opinion.

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 07:43 AM
Are you trying to say Ty Law?

Not sure what you mean here RB, but yes, I am saying that they are putting it out there that they are interested in other players. They have said that they will not sign him (Law) for what he wants and argue the passing the physical issue.

Maybe it is an honest move, but it may be a smokescreen saying "you aren't going to get a better deal anywhere else".

Personally, I don't want them to sign Law. The injury let alone the chip on his shoulder frightens me.

Will somebody please hold me? :deevee: :)

I think they should only look at depth, because that is what they lost, not a starter. Horrorfield will be the starter once the NFL gets off their @$$ and tell us how many games he is suspended. McCleon will start in place of him, unless they sign somebody significant, which I don't see them doing.

JMO, of course.

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 07:45 AM
There isnt anyone that is going to knock anyone's socks off available for what the Chiefs can pay.

Bingo.

They're looking for depth.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Ambrose, at 34, may wear down with the season. But for the first 4 games has the most to offer

beer bacon
06-28-2005, 07:52 AM

All of you still living in the wet dream that Ty Law is going to go against everything he has said this whole time and just take the vet minimum and play for the Chiefs need to wake the hell up.

The Chiefs cant afford to add another top flight player, or this offseason with the way it has gone, Im sure they would have.

We got 3 former pro bowlers and the most decorated linebacker in the draft. Thats four top caliber players in one offseason.

Thats way more than ANYONE ever expected from the Chiefs. Anyone else added for depth on this team right now is gravy.

When youre paying the Vet Minimum, youre not going to be adding superstar players. Besides, think about this. Ambrose will be brought in to replace JULIAN BATTLE. A scrub who has done jack so far during his time with the Chiefs, and before the season started was a bit of a longshot to even make the team.

We could get Beasley for very cheap. He is still a decent corner. There is no reason to sign Ambrose over Beasley.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Not sure what you mean here RB, but yes, I am saying that they are putting it out there that they are interested in other players. They have said that they will not sign him (Law) for what he wants and argue the passing the physical issue.

Maybe it is an honest move, but it may be a smokescreen saying "you aren't going to get a better deal anywhere else".

Personally, I don't want them to sign Law. The injury let alone the chip on his shoulder frightens me.

Will somebody please hold me? :deevee: :)

I think they should only look at depth, because that is what they lost, not a starter. Horrorfield will be the starter once the NFL gets off their @$$ and tell us how many games he is suspended. McCleon will start in place of him, unless they sign somebody significant, which I don't see them doing.

JMO, of course.

When you said smokescreen, i thought you we're referring to this part of the article:

"The thought is to play the whole scanario out, "Vermeil said, "and the scenario does include the final evaluation of Ty Law in terms of what is actually going to happen from a financial standpoint.

"First off, can he pass the physical? And then we have to find out how much money he's going to be offered on the open market. If he's going to be offered big money, then we're automatically out of it."

kc rush
06-28-2005, 07:57 AM
We could get Beasley for very cheap. He is still a decent corner. There is no reason to sign Ambrose over Beasley.

Except that the coaching staff is saying they think Ambrose will serve their needs better. Other than that...

RedThat
06-28-2005, 07:58 AM
Beggars can't be choosers. Would you rather have McCleon start those 4 games? I know I wouldn't.

Nope. i wouldn't. I agree with you there.

Wallcrawler
06-28-2005, 07:59 AM
There is no reason to sign Ambrose over Beasley.

Unless of course Ambrose was more impressive than Beasley in the workouts, which is in effect what the article says.

You dont make teams based on past reputation. If Ambrose was the most impressive in the workouts, then that is a damn good reason to go with him over anyone else.

beer bacon
06-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Unless of course Ambrose was more impressive than Beasley in the workouts, which is in effect what the article says.

You dont make teams based on past reputation. If Ambrose was the most impressive in the workouts, then that is a damn good reason to go with him over anyone else.

I would take past performance in games over a workout performance.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 08:02 AM

If Ambrose is the one with the most skill in the workouts, then thats who they will take. In any case, it will still be better than Julian Battle/Dexter Mcleon starting in my opinion.

That's exactly what I mean. they're going to get a guy coming in for cheap, to play for them. I don't expect him to be good. I hope he's a bargain, and surprise. You never know? At the very least I just hope he's better than McCleon and Battle.

jspchief
06-28-2005, 08:04 AM
I would prefer Beasley. He'll make a quality nickel after Warfield gets back, so he's not just a band-aid, he's a legitimate addition to the team.

Ambrose probably excites me the least. I guess we can line him up against Rod Smith and we'll have a mini Old Timers game right there at Incestco.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 08:06 AM
I would take past performance in games over a workout performance.

I would go with both. Past performances in games and workouts. If Ambrose was good in the workouts, and has game experience for the vet minimum? I guess that is there best shot. He does have a probowl, which is good.

chagrin
06-28-2005, 08:09 AM
sweet, he was in the pro bowl....a decade ago...anyone got Merton Hanks number?

Merton Hanks...HAHAHA!!
ROFL

He can do that wild monkey dance in the end one or whenever he makes a tackle...forget the worm Chiefs Fans!!

RedThat
06-28-2005, 08:10 AM
I would prefer Beasley. He'll make a quality nickel after Warfield gets back, so he's not just a band-aid, he's a legitimate addition to the team.

Ambrose probably excites me the least. I guess we can line him up against Rod Smith and we'll have a mini Old Timers game right there at Incestco.

Line up Ambrose against Lelie or Rice. Rod Smith has been a Chiefs killer, he must be stopped, and Patrick Surtain is the remedy.

Eleazar
06-28-2005, 08:12 AM
DoooOOOoooOOoooOOOOOOOOoOOOOooommed!!!

Chiefnj
06-28-2005, 08:14 AM
DeWayne Washington was able to play in 16 games last year for a good Jax defense.

Wallcrawler
06-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Yeah, that Rod Smith is a real pain in the ass. I freaking hate seeing #80 on the field against the Chiefs. At least this season we will have someone other than Warfield to try to match up with him.

Ambrose could handle Rice, I dont know if his 34 year old legs could keep up with Lelie all game though. That guy is pretty fast.

jspchief
06-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Line up Ambrose against Lelie or Rice. Rod Smith has been a Chiefs killer, he must be stopped, and Patrick Surtain is the remedy.Uhhh, Yea. My comment was meant more as a facetious commentary on their age than an actual suggestion for a gameplan. :rolleyes:

tomahawk kid
06-28-2005, 08:29 AM
This is, of course, all assuming that Warfield is going to be suspended the first 4 games.

There's (supposedly) already rumors floating that the suspension will only be 2 games, which makes me much more comfortable with signing Ambrose.

Like many on this board have already stated, I think the Chiefs are better off the longer this plays out.

KChiefs1
06-28-2005, 08:31 AM
Ambrose probably excites me the least. I guess we can line him up against Rod Smith

I don't think the Chiefs signed Patrick Surtain to line up against Lelie this year do you? :shake:

tomahawk kid
06-28-2005, 08:32 AM
DeWayne Washington was able to play in 16 games last year for a good Jax defense.

That's what I thought.

Makes me wonder if maybe the Chiefs have heard something regarding Warfield's suspension (or lack thereof).

Perhaps now they're looking for a nickel replacement (Ambrose) for less money, instead of a potential starter replacement (Washington) that could want more $.

Just a thought......

the Talking Can
06-28-2005, 08:35 AM
fwi..Roaf was in that 1996 pro bowl...how amazing is he?

jspchief
06-28-2005, 08:41 AM
I don't think the Chiefs signed Patrick Surtain to line up against Lelie this year do you? :shake: See post #39

Nice that you edited out the part of the quote that makes it a joke. :rolleyes:

ct
06-28-2005, 08:43 AM

:clap:
Most excellent points!

RedThat
06-28-2005, 08:51 AM
fwi..Roaf was in that 1996 pro bowl...how amazing is he?

Hey hey....This is Big Willie we're talking here. Mr. Consistency throughtout his whole career. 8, 9, 10 probowls? He's like the Strahan of Offensive lineman..It's Willie man.:D

TRR
06-28-2005, 08:53 AM
I would think Beasley is the obvious choice. However, we don't know (1) if Beasley thinks he is worth more than vets minimum, and (2) what kind of shape he is in at this point in the offseason. If Ambrose stayed in great shape, and Beasley let himself go a bit, then AA might have looked like the better CB.

Ambrose can still play. Even if he is signed, I still think they go with McCleon as the starter if Edub is suspended.

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 09:01 AM

Somebody told me that we shouldn't question Carl this offseason.

:p

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 09:12 AM
He's like the Strahan of Offensive lineman..It's Willie man.:D

c'mon - I don't think Willie is that overrated.

ChiefsOne
06-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I would rather have Ambrose than McCleon or Battle at this point. Battle always looked lost or to anxious and screwed up too much.

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
I know this Warfield suspension is coming as a surprise to the organization, but....

maybe it would've made sense to draft more than one CB, in case, God forbid, the one that we drafted doesn't pan out.

jspchief
06-28-2005, 09:26 AM
I know this Warfield suspension is coming as a surprise to the organization, but....

maybe it would've made sense to draft more than one CB, in case, God forbid, the one that we drafted doesn't pan out.We used two draft picks on CBs.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 09:26 AM

maybe it would've made sense to draft more than one CB, in case, God forbid, the one that we drafted doesn't pan out.

Well, that is why we are signing one.

kc rush
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Makes me wonder if maybe the Chiefs have heard something regarding Warfield's suspension (or lack thereof).

Perhaps now they're looking for a nickel replacement (Ambrose) for less money, instead of a potential starter replacement (Washington) that could want more $.

Just a thought......

If you listen to 610 Warfield will be suspended, no question. They claim that because the NFL is taking so long to make an announcement that it will probably be a 6 - 8 game suspension. At that point I called them idiots and changed the station only to listen to NASCAR talk.

Oxford
06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
This is, of course, all assuming that Warfield is going to be suspended the first 4 games.

There's (supposedly) already rumors floating that the suspension will only be 2 games, which makes me much more comfortable with signing Ambrose.

Like many on this board have already stated, I think the Chiefs are better off the longer this plays out.

Look, Woods played 3rd down nickel back a couple of years ago. If this is our 4th corner and Woods still has speed, why not him? He would only be playing in nickel or dime situations, he's already signed and counts against the cap.

beer bacon
06-28-2005, 09:48 AM
If you listen to 610 Warfield will be suspended, no question. They claim that because the NFL is taking so long to make an announcement that it will probably be a 6 - 8 game suspension. At that point I called them idiots and changed the station only to listen to NASCAR talk.

610 AM is fine for getting factual updates, but just about everything their broadcasters say is bullshit.

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 10:10 AM
We used two draft picks on CBs.

And with our other picks, we were able to get the heir apparent to Gary Stills (Khari Long), a guy who can backup Casey Clausen in NFLE next spring (James Kilian), a guy who played defense in college but will try to switch to either TE or OT (Will Svitek), and a WR who we'll be lucky to keep on the practice squad (Crap Thorpe).

But why draft any more CB's when you already have Julien Battle.

beer bacon
06-28-2005, 10:14 AM
And with our other picks, we were able to get the heir apparent to Gary Stills (Khari Long), a guy who can backup Casey Clausen in NFLE next spring (James Kilian), a guy who played defense in college but will try to switch to either TE or OT (Will Svitek), and a WR who we'll be lucky to keep on the practice squad (Crap Thorpe).

But why draft any more CB's when you already have Julien Battle.

The obvious answer is so we can complain about it here on Chiefsplanet.

BigChiefFan
06-28-2005, 10:23 AM

But why draft any more CB's when you already have Julien Battle.We gave up a draft pick for Surtain. We drafted Hodge and we already had Warfield, Battle, McCleon, and Sapp. I think they did a good job in the off-season. I don't see why you are being so hard on the FO, when they addressed the issues. Nobody could have predicted a serious injury to Battle.

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 10:24 AM
...that it will probably be a 6 - 8 game suspension. .

No WAY that will happen.

Mr. Laz
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
one upside about Ambrose is that i think he will help teach our younger guys.

htismaqe
06-28-2005, 10:35 AM
We gave up a draft pick for Surtain. We drafted Hodge and we already had Warfield, Battle, McCleon, and Sapp. I think they did a good job in the off-season. I don't see why you are being so hard on the FO, when they addressed the issues. Nobody could have predicted a serious injury to Battle.

Don't waste your time. Nothing is ever good enough for shane.

I'm sure it's completely lost on him that about 95% of all rookie CB's aren't ready to start opening day of their first season, so it wouldn't matter if we drafted SEVEN CB's, we'd still be looking for someone to sub for Warfield...

Chiefnj
06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
one upside about Ambrose is that i think he will help teach our younger guys...

... how to fill out AARP paperwork.

ROFL

htismaqe
06-28-2005, 10:36 AM
No WAY that will happen.

We lost a 2nd for Vermeil.

Never say "never" when you're talking about Taglibue's unadulterated hatred for the Chiefs...

KCTitus
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM

LOL...you have learned well.

Death Nebula
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
I got money Warfield isn't even suspended.....

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I got money Warfield isn't even suspended.....

Oooh. How much?

pt wants in on this action.

Death Nebula
06-28-2005, 10:40 AM
One nickel...

ptlyon
06-28-2005, 10:41 AM
One nickel...

You're on. It will be nice to have you spend 37 cents to send me my nickel.

CoMoChief
06-28-2005, 10:49 AM
BRING BACK DALE CARTER!!!!

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 10:55 AM

I guess I could've complained about signing Ambrose over Beasley, but I already saw at least three posts by you on this thread which covered that. So I thought I'd complain about something else.

beer bacon
06-28-2005, 10:58 AM
I guess I could've complained about signing Ambrose over Beasley, but I already saw at least three posts by you on this thread which covered that. So I thought I'd complain about something else.

Notice the we my fellow Chiefsplanet member.

philfree
06-28-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh the irony! Warfield gets suspended for his third drinking and driving offense so we sign a guy who's intitials are AA. :)

PhilFree:arrow:

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 11:09 AM
We gave up a draft pick for Surtain. We drafted Hodge and we already had Warfield, Battle, McCleon, and Sapp. I think they did a good job in the off-season. I don't see why you are being so hard on the FO, when they addressed the issues. Nobody could have predicted a serious injury to Battle.

Back when free agency started, most people here said we needed two starting-caliber CB's because of Warfield's impending suspension. Most wanted a combination of Law, Surtain, Rolle, Andre Dyson, Ken Lucas, Carlos Rogers, Pac Man, Antrel Rolle, etc. We only got 1 starter from that group.

Most also agreed we needed two starting-caliber LB's. We got Bell, missed out on Hartwell, but recovered by getting DJ.

So IMO, CP got 3 out of 4 needs filled. I'll give him a 75% grade for this offseason. JMO. Had he not spent money last year on Woods, Bartee, and Hicks, maybe we could've had enough money to sign Dyson or Dwight Smith as a safety net for Warfield's suspension.

Dave Lane
06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
I personally liked Sapp he showed me more than Battle anyway.

Dave

Spicy McHaggis
06-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Nobody could have predicted a serious injury to Battle.

To be honest I had no idea we were counting on Battle to start if Warfield was out. He showed nothing last season to warrant a feeling of security from the FO, IMO. Battle must have really been tearing up the OTA's.

Wile_E_Coyote
06-28-2005, 11:18 AM
In the last 5 years Surtain & Warfield have both just missed 4 games a piece. Once the suspension is over the chance of one of these guys starting is not so good. Just because they all came in on the free trip, does not mean the are all willing to play backup

Chiefnj
06-28-2005, 11:19 AM
So IMO, CP got 3 out of 4 needs filled. I'll give him a 75% grade for this offseason. JMO. Had he not spent money last year on Woods, Bartee, and Hicks, maybe we could've had enough money to sign Dyson or Dwight Smith as a safety net for Warfield's suspension.

To be honest, the guys they signed last year were old Gunther players. The general opinion last year was that weeding out Robinson's players ,his coaching influence and having Gunther work with his old crew would be sufficient to elevate the D.

Obviously it didn't work, but it was clear that there was a two year plan to fix the D - year one was keeping existing players to see who could still play or pick up Gunther's system, year two plugging the holes. Unfortunately there were a lot more holes than they probably thought existed.

I give them an A- this offseason. The minus is for not giving up a 6th round pick for Cowart to play MLB or backup the position.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 11:29 AM
To be honest, the guys they signed last year were old Gunther players. The general opinion last year was that weeding out Robinson's players ,his coaching influence and having Gunther work with his old crew would be sufficient to elevate the D.

Obviously it didn't work, but it was clear that there was a two year plan to fix the D - year one was keeping existing players to see who could still play or pick up Gunther's system, year two plugging the holes. Unfortunately there were a lot more holes than they probably thought existed.

I give them an A- this offseason. The minus is for not giving up a 6th round pick for Cowart to play MLB or backup the position.

:clap: that sounds just right!

carlos3652
06-28-2005, 11:38 AM

And if you graded on a curve for the chiefs in the last 10 years you would have to say that this offseason was a A+, this is the first time in a long time that I felt that the FO did a good job with the DRAFT, FA combined.

Luzap
06-28-2005, 11:52 AM
When you said smokescreen, i thought you we're referring to this part of the article:

"The thought is to play the whole scanario out, "Vermeil said, "and the scenario does include the final evaluation of Ty Law in terms of what is actually going to happen from a financial standpoint.

"First off, can he pass the physical? And then we have to find out how much money he's going to be offered on the open market. If he's going to be offered big money, then we're automatically out of it."

Everyone keeps saying they don't trust what DV says, yet right here he's telling us the situation, ie: we'll probably sign the best CB avail that fits our budget.

Carl, Dick, nor Denny know the health or cap repercussions for anyone yet. As more time goes by the picture will become clearer.

Luz
sounds pretty straight forward to me...

Mr. Laz
06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
Everyone keeps saying they don't trust what DV says, yet right here he's telling us the situation, ie: we'll probably sign the best CB avail that fits our budget.

Carl, Dick, nor Denny know the health or cap repercussions for anyone yet. As more time goes by the picture will become clearer.

Luz
sounds pretty straight forward to me...

vermiel is a HUGE spin doctor .... we have no idea whether he's being straight forward or not.

RedThat
06-28-2005, 12:12 PM
vermiel is a HUGE spin doctor .... we have no idea whether he's being straight forward or not.

That's true. I remember him bluffing about Green, and prior to the Surtain trade I remember him exactly, by saying "it's out the window".

Vermeil bullsh*ts sometimes.

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 12:32 PM

Either that or he just doesn't know what the hell CP is doing behind his back.

ct
06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Oh the irony! Warfield gets suspended for his third drinking and driving offense so we sign a guy who's intitials are AA. :)

PhilFree:arrow:

Now how did nobody else catch that? Well done phil!

BigChiefFan
06-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Back when free agency started, most people here said we needed two starting-caliber CB's because of Warfield's impending suspension. Most wanted a combination of Law, Surtain, Rolle, Andre Dyson, Ken Lucas, Carlos Rogers, Pac Man, Antrel Rolle, etc. We only got 1 starter from that group.

Most also agreed we needed two starting-caliber LB's. We got Bell, missed out on Hartwell, but recovered by getting DJ.

I would agree most would have loved to have that type of combo at corner, however with as many holes as we had to fill, it would have been unwise to tie up the majority of our money on TWO players. Corner is one of the most expensive positions, so I never once thought we would land two high caliber corners in FA. I don't know why you would.

Also it was evident that Rolle and Rogers would be long gone before we picked in this year's draft, so we pulled the trigger on a PREMIER CB, upgrading the position in the process. Those two are irrelevant to the equation in my mind.

Look at the price tags at the FAs you named and then tell me how we could pull off a dynamic duo at corner this offseason. Surtain and Rolle would have tied up ALL of our money.

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 06:08 PM
Corner is one of the most expensive positions, so I never once thought we would land two high caliber corners in FA. I don't know why you would.

I didn't. But once we got Surtain, we could've still had Dyson. Yeah, no one wanted him as a FT starter, but he was cheap, young, and has starting experience, and he would've made a good nickel guy once Warfield returns.

Look at the price tags at the FAs you named and then tell me how we could pull off a dynamic duo at corner this offseason. Surtain and Rolle would have tied up ALL of our money.

Yes, I realize that it would've been impossible to sign both Surtain and Rolle. That's why I mentioned Dyson. Or, like I mentioned in an earlier post, we could've drafted more CB's instead of guys like Long, Kilian, Svitek, or Crap. The more guys you take at one position, the better the chance that at least one steps up and becomes the interim starter.

TRR
06-28-2005, 06:21 PM

Sorry, but you can't rebuild an entire defense through FA. You fill what holes you can, but your draft picks have to step up, and guys on your roster like Dexter McCleon and Benny Sapp have to step up their game as well.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy for you to nitpick about who Peterson signed that didn't pan out. Every teams fans can do that. But I'll tell you this much, I remember you on here chearing when Jerome Woods was re-signed.

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Sorry, but you can't rebuild an entire defense through FA. You fill what holes you can, but your draft picks have to step up, and guys on your roster like Dexter McCleon and Benny Sapp have to step up their game as well.

We could've still signed Dyson after trading for Surtain, or we could've spent more draft picks on the CB position, instead of taking Long, Kilian, Svitek, and Crap.

And I don't think anyone should realistically expect McCleon to step up at this point in his career.

Hindsight is always 20/20. It's easy for you to nitpick about who Peterson signed that didn't pan out. Every teams fans can do that. But I'll tell you this much, I remember you on here chearing when Jerome Woods was re-signed.

Don't know who you're confusing me with, but I can guarantee that you didn't see me cheering when Woods was re-signed.

TRR
06-28-2005, 06:43 PM
We could've still signed Dyson after trading for Surtain, or we could've spent more draft picks on the CB position, instead of taking Long, Kilian, Svitek, and Crap.

And I don't think anyone should realistically expect McCleon to step up at this point in his career.

Don't know who you're confusing me with, but I can guarantee that you didn't see me cheering when Woods was re-signed.

You have to expect some players on your squad to step up their play. The season before last, McCleon was our most consistent CB, and had 6 INT's. I expect him to step up this season. BTW, the next best CB on the board (listed by many draft experts) after Alphonso Hodge was Justin Perkins. Do you know where he ended up? KC as an undrafted FA. This draft was not thick with quality CB's.

You can say what you want about the Jerome Woods comment. By am 1000% sure I heard you either say you were thrilled he re-signed, or were bitching because he hadn't re-signed (Prior to him re-signing).

shaneo69
06-28-2005, 07:13 PM
You have to expect some players on your squad to step up their play. The season before last, McCleon was our most consistent CB, and had 6 INT's. I expect him to step up this season. BTW, the next best CB on the board (listed by many draft experts) after Alphonso Hodge was Justin Perkins. Do you know where he ended up? KC as an undrafted FA. This draft was not thick with quality CB's.

Really. Well, six other CB's were drafted after Hodge so I guess those draft experts were wrong.

You can say what you want about the Jerome Woods comment. By am 1000% sure I heard you either say you were thrilled he re-signed, or were bitching because he hadn't re-signed (Prior to him re-signing).

Well, you're wrong. I don't think I've made a positive comment about Woods since I've been on the Planet. And I can guarantee that I wasn't happy that they re-signed him. At that time, I wanted to see them give Harts a chance as the starter and use Woods' money elsewhere. The free agent I wanted last year was David Barrett.