PDA

View Full Version : How does our linebacker system work?

beer bacon
06-29-2005, 04:05 AM
I am getting more and more confused about how exactly our linebackers line up. I feel like I should know, and have just let it go rather then show my ignorance, but I can't stand it any longer.

On the roster at kcchiefs.com it says our three LB positions are Right LB, MLB, and Left LB. Despite this, many sports media publications always talk as if we lineup in the more conventional WSLB, MLB, SSLB. The lastest example was in PFW's latest whispers where they referred to Bell and DJ lining up as WSLB and SSLB:

"The Chiefs had first-round pick Derrick Johnson listed second on the depth chart at the strong-side LB spot, but we’re told he’ll easily be starting by the preseason after several standout plays during offseason practices. “There’s a whole lot of talent there,” observed one source. In a bit of a surprise, K.C. had new addition Kendrell Bell manning the weak side and the previously struggling Kawika Mitchell starting in the middle at the last minicamp. It was previously assumed Bell would be in the middle and Johnson would roam the weak side."

So which is it? Do our OLBs lineup to the left and right, therefore meaning that sometimes they are on the strongside and sometimes on the weakside depending on how the offense linesup? Or do they lineup in the more standard WS/SS style?

keg in kc
06-29-2005, 04:57 AM
Left, Middle and Right, not sam, mike and will.

Braincase
06-29-2005, 05:30 AM
There's three branches: Executive, Legislative & Judicial...

beer bacon
06-29-2005, 05:36 AM
There's three branches: Executive, Legislative & Judicial...

But where does the king fit in? :(

nmt1
06-29-2005, 05:43 AM
But where does the king fit in? :(

Scanlon's not a starter yet.

Skip Towne
06-29-2005, 06:46 AM
Carl is the King of Jackson County.

beer bacon
06-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Carl is the King of Jackson County.

And Scanlon is his queen.

cdcox
06-29-2005, 08:10 AM
Last season it didn't.

htismaqe
06-29-2005, 08:30 AM
I liken Gunther's defense somewhat to Al Saunders' offense.

Tony Gonzales has a role in the offense -- to create a mistmatch by either overpowering a safety or out-running a LB. To do that, he might lineup at TE, or he might lineup in the backfield, or he might lineup in the slot as a WR.

Gunther's defense is much the same. Bell has a role -- to rush the passer. Derrick Thomas had the same role. Thomas lined up wherever he could get an advantage and get to the QB. Bell will do the same, and sometimes it may be to the weakside and sometime to the strong.

whoman69
06-29-2005, 09:59 AM
It can be summed up in a simple equation whose length is such that it does not allow it to be posted here.

CrazyHorse
06-29-2005, 10:04 AM
Just because you may be designated the left LB, doesn't always mean that you will be lined up on the left. It only means that where you line up is not necessarily dictated solely by the strong or weak side of the offensive line.

In a blitzing defense, multiple line shifts by the offense can dictate/disrupt some blitz calls. By having right and left LBs, it allows the defense to dictate some of the formations on the offensive side.

Without a doubt it requires good LBs to play this way. But Gunthers defense has always spun off the LBs. LBs are the engine that runs a Cunningham defense.