PDA

View Full Version : Edwareds: They were mean to me ... waaaaaah!!

Mr. Laz
06-29-2005, 07:05 PM
Braylon Edwards: Dolphins lied to me and used me

By Harvey Fialkov
Staff writer
Posted June 29 2005

PALM BEACH GARDENS -- Deception is part of every NFL team's draft strategy, but former Michigan receiver Braylon Edwards felt the Dolphins crossed the line.

"They kind of flat out lied to me," said Edwards, the No. 3 pick taken by the Cleveland Browns, one spot after the Dolphins chose Auburn running back Ronnie Brown.

Edwards is attending the three-day NFL symposium for rookies at PGA National. The entire draft class is being instructed on how to better deal with their changing lifestyles.

"They tried to use me ... more so the owner and General Manager, Mr. [Rick] Spielman, Mr. [H. Wayne] Huizenga," Edwards said Tuesday.

"They tried to get some buzz out there so they could try to warrant some trades so they could get more for the pick, when Ronnie Brown is who they wanted in the long run.

"I don't like being lied to. I'm a man. Tell me straight out. [They lied to] my face and on the phone. They actually called me right before they picked as well."

Spielman left the Dolphins and team spokesman Harvey Greene said that while Huizenga is kept abreast of major decisions made by upper management, he wasn't directly involved with potential draft picks.

"Wayne wasn't involved in any of our pre-draft activities. Period, " Greene said.

Before the draft, there were rumors the Dolphins might draft Edwards and then trade him for more draft picks.

The Vikings, who owned the seventh and 18th selections and had traded Pro Bowl receiver Randy Moss, were believed to be in the market for Edwards.

Also, the Redskins, who held picks at Nos. 9 and 25, respectively, were reportedly interested.

Minnesota took South Carolina receiver Troy Williamson with its seventh pick, while the Redskins didn't draft a receiver until the seventh round.

Edwards said while Dolphins coach Nick Saban also misled him, he didn't hold any ill will toward him.

"The coach has little to do [with it]," Edwards said. "It more so comes from inside, management, so that's why I really don't hold him [responsible].

"Other than that, I feel blessed I'm in the situation I'm in Cleveland where I love my teammates, a good organization, a new beginning, Coach [Romeo] Crennel.

"I got over it real quick. I was a little hurt, but as soon as Cleveland called my name I was right back at it."

Edwards said that since the Indianapolis combine he and Brown have become good friends, and he is looking forward to Nov. 20 when the Dolphins play the Browns in Cleveland.

"I wish the players and their team good luck and when we see them -- they're in trouble," Edwards said.

Brown, along with fellow Dolphins rookies Anthony Alabi, Kevin Vickerson, Travis Daniels, Matt Roth and Channing Crowder, attended the symposium.

Contract negotiations with the Dolphins top picks aren't expected to begin in earnest until after July 4.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2005, 07:07 PM
Cry me a river, bitch. You're being well paid to be abused.

milkman
06-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Waaah :crybaby: Freakin' Waaah.

Shut the Hell up.

Rain Man
06-29-2005, 07:11 PM
They took his lie-ginity.

Wallcrawler
06-29-2005, 07:59 PM
This happens all the time. The guy acts like the Dolphins set out to just lie to him on purpose and mislead him.

Teams are going to do what is best for their team, and if that means a little bit of bluffing prior to and during the draft, then they are going to do it.

Hard to believe that this Braylon Edwards graduated from college and didnt realise that.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2005, 10:03 PM
This happens all the time. The guy acts like the Dolphins set out to just lie to him on purpose and mislead him.

Teams are going to do what is best for their team, and if that means a little bit of bluffing prior to and during the draft, then they are going to do it.

Hard to believe that this Braylon Edwards graduated from college and didnt REALISE that.

yeah, what was he thincing?

Phobia
06-29-2005, 10:06 PM
yeah, what was he thincing?

He's thinking he's originally from overseas and is using the British spelling.

Hammock Parties
06-29-2005, 10:08 PM
He's thinking he's originally from overseas and is using the British spelling.

No.

Logical
06-29-2005, 11:00 PM
I am not bothered by either side, primarilly because I don't know exactly what Miami said to him. It is possible to set expectations to create a potential draft day trade without blatantly lying to the player (not that we know that is what Miami did).

Spicy McHaggis
06-29-2005, 11:04 PM
I'm pretty sure Winslow Jr. bitched about this too. Said the Skins lied about how "he was their guy." And the POStons tried to use it as leverage for more money. I mean it must suck to be a 1st round Cleveland pick but seriously STFU.

King_Chief_Fan
06-30-2005, 06:11 AM
I'm pretty sure Winslow Jr. bitched about this too. Said the Skins lied about how "he was their guy." And the POStons tried to use it as leverage for more money. I mean it must suck to be a 1st round Cleveland pick but seriously STFU.

No shit.......you end up being a Bronco

jspchief
06-30-2005, 08:13 AM
Sounds like another in a long list of successful Cleveland draft picks.

That team makes Carl look like friggin Eintstein.

whoman69
06-30-2005, 08:45 AM
Boo hoo, so you fell a couple of spots. They were probably trying to see if they could get interest for such a trade and it fell thru. Blame the Redskins and the Vikings too, then. Sorry, but at this point, you're a piece of meat.