PDA

View Full Version : An ode to the Professional Softball Player

cadmonkey
06-30-2005, 06:57 AM
http://www.barstoolsports.com/article/Softball_Dude/252/ (http://)

Softball Dude

Allow me to introduce myself. I’m the best f*cking softball player you’ve ever met.

Just ask the opposing teams in the 4 leagues I’m in this summer. I flat out rake. You could populate a small country with all the pitchers I've taken deep.

I just spent three hours in the batting cage and hit the shit out of the ball. Line drives, big flies, opposite field shots. I can do it all. Some kids next to me in the cages were staring and pointing at me. I can’t blame them. They’ve probably never seen a 40 year-old man wearing Oakley Blades and batting gloves who can hit bombs like me. Especially not with shorts this tight.

This season, I’m making sure we sweep all 4 leagues.

Especially the Men’s League at St. Anthony’s. We were two outs away from winning that baby last year and now I can taste it. I’ve gotta get my hands on that 10-foot plastic trophy. It’s all I think about. Rumor has it the league winners get 2 free pitchers at Murphy’s Pub after the season. No way we lose with the trophy and 78 ounces of Busch on the line.

I just bought all new equipment for this season. You should see the acrylic baseball pants I got. Super tight. I picked up a new set of wristbands, a tube of eye black and a pair of 3-inch mud cleats, you know, just in case I need to break up a double play. I also got my hands on a $350 titanium bat for a little extra power. It cost me a week’s pay, but screw it, when I start cranking 400-foot shots it will be worth it. Plus I might need it to beat off all the trim that will be chasing me after the games.

Softball groupies love guys who can go deep.

I can’t wait for that first at bat. I’m bringing a tape deck to the game, so that I can blast The Scorpions when I walk to the plate. Nothing gets me fired up to play ball more than The Scorpions. Except maybe AC/DC, but I save that for the playoffs.

I feel sorry for the other teams. They have no idea what I’m about to unleash on them. Actually, I don’t feel sorry for them. You think that anyone felt sorry for me when that bastard coach cut me from the 8th grade baseball team? You think Babe Ruth or Dave Kingman felt sorry for the other team when they took them deep?

They should have known better than to get into a league with me.

This year I’m focused. I practiced like a son of a bitch in the winter and got the call to play third. That’s right, the hot corner. Only the best play the hot corner. I have to be sharp, so no more beer during the games. I’m going to wait until after the game to starting pounding cold ones and I’m still going to drink you under the table.

My initials might as well be M-V-P. That stands for Most Valuable Player for all you non-softball players.

The League starts Tuesday night. I took the day off of work.

Why do I take softball so seriously?

F*ck you. You’re just jealous.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 07:00 AM
What's the point?

Eleazar
06-30-2005, 07:04 AM
Until you play with a guy like that you don't understand.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Those are the guys in "League 1". I'm glad I play in "League 10".

Lzen
06-30-2005, 07:25 AM
Heh, we just played a team on Sunday that had a guy or 2 like that. :shake: We get 'em again tomorrow. These guys were drinking and still kicked our butts. Nothing wrong with being a little competitive. Hell, I'm pretty competitive myself. But guys like this are just nuts.

KCTitus
06-30-2005, 07:41 AM
Oh yeah...played in a few leagues in college and there was allways a few teams that were the absolute worst with a group of a-holes like this one.

ridiculous.

Eleazar
06-30-2005, 07:50 AM
My team is pretty bad, to be sure, we play in the lowest league but it's a good time. Anyway, this is the complete fat guy, truck driver, dubtee beer league. So a couple weeks ago we're playing a team of older guys (late 30s probably) and our catcher notices they are using an illegal bat. He pointed it out and of course they were ready to run us over with their camaros after that.

I mean, how empty is your life if you have to drop several hundred dollars on an illegal bat at the most pathetic level of softball to get a couple of wins?

Old Dog
06-30-2005, 08:02 AM
If you've ever hit a titanium bat you'll know that they don't offer a "little" extra power. They easily add 60 feet to the normal swing.

They're illegal in every sanctioning body though, too dangerous.

beavis
06-30-2005, 08:54 AM
I mean, how empty is your life if you have to drop several hundred dollars on an illegal bat at the most pathetic level of softball to get a couple of wins?
Oh, the irony. ROFL

Brock
06-30-2005, 09:11 AM
I've never really understood why super-competitive types don't just play baseball. Why slow-pitch softball? Weird.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:23 AM
I've never really understood why super-competitive types don't just play baseball. Why slow-pitch softball? Weird.

Because slow pitch softball is vastly popular and readily available. How many large ballparks are available that could handle rec players driving a baseball 400 feet?

I play softball and I take it kinda seriously because it's fun for me. I realize it's not for everybody. I'm nowhere near this guy's level of ignorance, though. Once I spent $100 on a used $350 bat. One other time my wife bought me a $250 bat for about $180. But, I don't wear batting gloves, sliding shorts, and all the other softball specialty gear. I do wear coach shorts that are probably fairly tight. Heh heh.

ChiefsCountry
06-30-2005, 09:26 AM
That is very true article.

Goapics1
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
http://www.trentonnaz.org/images/pics/softball-01/softball1.jpg
This you Phil?

Phobia
That is very true article.

Bah. It's an exaggeration. I've played ball for 15 years. There's a select few who are this bad. Most of the rec softball players are out there to have a little competition and work up a sweat.

tyton75
This cracks me UP.. I play occasionally in a Softball league with a friend of mine who is quickly becoming "that" guy...

never played baseball, but has the whole outfit.. the baseball pants, shoes, his own softball bats, baseball bag.. the whole 9... and he is in 3 leagues..

I just don't get it.. its fun hanging out with friends and doing something.. but thats about it

Skip Towne
Because slow pitch softball is vastly popular and readily available. How many large ballparks are available that could handle rec players driving a baseball 400 feet?

I play softball and I take it kinda seriously because it's fun for me. I realize it's not for everybody. I'm nowhere near this guy's level of ignorance, though. Once I spent $100 on a used $350 bat. One other time my wife bought me a $250 bat for about $180. But, I don't wear batting gloves, sliding shorts, and all the other softball specialty gear. I do wear coach shorts that are probably fairly tight. Heh heh.
Thanks for the warning.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:33 AM
http://www.trentonnaz.org/images/pics/softball-01/softball1.jpg
This you Phil?

It's not. I'm not actually defending the guys who ARE like this, but the stereotype of all softball players acting like this is goofy. I can't believe softball players get this rep, but golfers get a pass. You want to talk about taking shit too damn seriously, look at your average weekend amateur shooting in the mid-90's. He's carrying $1500 in his bag and wearing $400 of golf attire on his back. How do I know this?

Mirror.

Goapics1
06-30-2005, 09:35 AM
He's carrying $1500 in his bag and wearing $400 of golf attire on his back. How do I know this?

Mirror.

Me too. :shake:

ROYC75
06-30-2005, 09:42 AM
You can find this type of competitive player in almost any sport,( Baseball,Softball, Golf,Scocer, volleyball, etc. ) He's the guy with an ego bigger than the rest of the team.

I played ball ( baseball, softball, both slow and fast pitch ) for years, I was good but never went around cocky or talk openenly about it.

But Phil is right, if you want to see egomaniacs at it's finest, try on a public link with a good 19th hole............. :)

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:50 AM
Holy shit, Roy's talking about me. I'm a complete egomaniac, but I'm not like the guy in the thread header.

I cussed our 3rd baseman a couple of weeks ago because he was standing around with his thumb up his ass (twice in one inning) while I was throwing tagging up baserunners out at his bag. Both of my throws hit his bag while he was standing 15 feet from it.

wutamess
06-30-2005, 09:52 AM
I do wear coach shorts that are probably fairly tight. Heh heh.

Fairly? HUGE UNDERSTATEMENT!!!
I thought you were gonna get a yeast infection.

Brock
06-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Holy shit, Roy's talking about me. I'm a complete egomaniac, but I'm not like the guy in the thread header.

I cussed our 3rd baseman a couple of weeks ago because he was standing around with his thumb up his ass (twice in one inning) while I was throwing tagging up baserunners out at his bag. Both of my throws hit his bag while he was standing 15 feet from it.

Damn, you'll never win a ring with players like that. :cuss:

Goapics1
06-30-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm sure he has a huge wedgy as well.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:55 AM

Dude - wow. Don't even start. I'll have to break out the photo I took of the goofy 3rd baseman wearing shorts and baseball socks pulled up to his knees.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 09:55 AM
Damn, you'll never win a ring with players like that. :cuss:

It's the championship Tee I'm after, dude. That's worth something.

wutamess
06-30-2005, 09:56 AM
Dude - wow. Don't even start. I'll have to break out the photo I took of the goofy 3rd baseman wearing shorts and baseball socks pulled up to his knees.

Note to CP: Not the 3rd baseman he was referring to in previous posts.

Besides... those are my goodluck/sliding socks. (even thought I rarely slide.)

ROYC75
06-30-2005, 09:58 AM

OK, Stop that, I wasn't playing and I haven't played 3rd base for at least 15 years.:D

I slowed down when 35 hit and the back and left knee started to bother me, when you slowing down ?

Phobia
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
OK, Stop that, I wasn't playing and I haven't played 3rd base for at least 15 years.:D

I slowed down when 35 hit and the back and left knee started to bother me, when you slowing down ?

I dunno. My shoulder will soon relegate me to the infield and the game will lose some luster for me. I really like chasing balls in the outfield.

ROYC75
06-30-2005, 10:10 AM
I dunno. My shoulder will soon relegate me to the infield and the game will lose some luster for me. I really like chasing balls in the outfield.

That's the way it was for me, centerfield, then 3rd base and finally 1st base.....

I have the desire to still play, but the limbs have done gave in......

Goapics1
06-30-2005, 10:14 AM
That's the way it was for me, centerfield, then 3rd base and finally 1st base.....

I have the desire to still play, but the limbs have done gave in......
What position is next after 1st base? Coach/retirement?

Phobia
06-30-2005, 10:15 AM

Usually catcher, but it appears as though he skipped over that position in favor of the pine. Pining for Scanlon.

Goapics1
06-30-2005, 10:17 AM
Scanlon.
Ah, yes forgot for a moment that Roy is on the Scanlon for president campaign.

wutamess
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM

From what I hear... that's not the only place you like chasing them.

WilliamTheIrish
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
It's not. I'm not actually defending the guys who ARE like this, but the stereotype of all softball players acting like this is goofy. I can't believe softball players get this rep, but golfers get a pass. You want to talk about taking shit too damn seriously, look at your average weekend amateur shooting in the mid-90's. He's carrying $1500 in his bag and wearing $400 of golf attire on his back. How do I know this?

Mirror.

Uh-oh....What have I become?

My shirt cost 10 bucks.

DeepSouth
06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
Uh-oh....What have I become?

My shirt cost 10 bucks.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Just paid $100 for a pool cue.

brorth
06-30-2005, 10:38 AM
You know, I've had to quit playing Rugby because of my work schedule and have been thinking real hard about finding a softball league, just because the lack of physical activity is killing me...softball is really the only "sport" that I could play around my work. My only fear is running into precisely the kind of player mentioned here. I have this tendency to head butt people in the face when they come running up like I have seen these kinds of softball players do. I haven't ever really played baseball or softball, but I'm thinking about finding something North of the River. If anyone knows of a decent league, with relatively few pricks, I'd love to know about it. Beer drinking league is a must though, after more than 15 years of Rugby, it's like gatorade and oranges for me after the game. Anyways, if you know of a fun league, let me know, will ya?

ROYC75
06-30-2005, 11:20 AM

I stopped playing at 37...... 10 years ago.........

Retirement wages was poor too !

BigRedChief
06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I played fast pitch softball until about age 25. Its was about drinking beer and having a good time to me. Those dudes just got too serious. Reliving failed dreams or something. Pathetic.

cadmonkey
06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I played fast pitch softball until about age 25. Its was about drinking beer and having a good time to me. Those dudes just got too serious. Reliving failed dreams or something. Pathetic.

That's all it is for me. I go, have some beers, some laughs, and knock the ball around with some friends and co-workers. This one guy yells and screams if we take to long to get to our position.

If I start jogging to center field I am bound to spill some beer. F*ck you, I'm walkin.

Lzen
06-30-2005, 12:00 PM

Hey dumbass, don't throw it if he's not standing there. :p

Dartgod
06-30-2005, 12:07 PM
look at your average weekend amateur shooting in the mid-90's. He's carrying $1500 in his bag and wearing $400 of golf attire on his back. How do I know this?

Mirror.
You need to golf with me more often. You'll soon find out that you can suck for a whole lot less $$$.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 12:23 PM
You need to golf with me more often. You'll soon find out that you can suck for a whole lot less $$$.

That $1500 in my bag was spent many years ago. I haven't bought a new club in 4 years. Which, is pretty damn good for me.

Valiant
06-30-2005, 12:55 PM
This cracks me UP.. I play occasionally in a Softball league with a friend of mine who is quickly becoming "that" guy...

never played baseball, but has the whole outfit.. the baseball pants, shoes, his own softball bats, baseball bag.. the whole 9... and he is in 3 leagues..

I just don't get it.. its fun hanging out with friends and doing something.. but thats about it

um, most softball players own their own shoes, bats, bag.. Now the uniform is different.. Usually depends if your team is sponsered or you just want to pony up money for a shirt..

Softball is a blast and I play third, it might be the hotspot in baseball but it is average in softball imo...Oh I hit six homers last session, my career best before was 0 out of the park homers... Not sure where the power has came from..

But I quit my brothers team because he was becoming this player.. He didnt have all the equipment or uniforms, but man his bitching about everyone else was professional level quality... Guy bitched for two innings if you messed up a grounder or had a pop up... And he was a worse hitter then me.. He is pissed now, because I am the one with the nice bat, and know where to get the nice softballs at...

Valiant
06-30-2005, 01:00 PM
You know, I've had to quit playing Rugby because of my work schedule and have been thinking real hard about finding a softball league, just because the lack of physical activity is killing me...softball is really the only "sport" that I could play around my work. My only fear is running into precisely the kind of player mentioned here. I have this tendency to head butt people in the face when they come running up like I have seen these kinds of softball players do. I haven't ever really played baseball or softball, but I'm thinking about finding something North of the River. If anyone knows of a decent league, with relatively few pricks, I'd love to know about it. Beer drinking league is a must though, after more than 15 years of Rugby, it's like gatorade and oranges for me after the game. Anyways, if you know of a fun league, let me know, will ya?

Outdoor volleyball is a good league.. And it is coed...They have two dollar pitchers of bud light and miller..

Pitt Gorilla
06-30-2005, 01:04 PM
Bah. It's an exaggeration. I've played ball for 15 years. There's a select few who are this bad. Most of the rec softball players are out there to have a little competition and work up a sweat.
I don't think it is. Wait untill you play the guy that swings at and purposefully misses "balls" just so he won't walk.

Pitt Gorilla
06-30-2005, 01:05 PM
That's all it is for me. I go, have some beers, some laughs, and knock the ball around with some friends and co-workers. This one guy yells and screams if we take to long to get to our position.

If I start jogging to center field I am bound to spill some beer. F*ck you, I'm walkin.
Exactly.

Phobia
06-30-2005, 01:11 PM
I don't think it is. Wait untill you play the guy that swings at and purposefully misses "balls" just so he won't walk.

Um. Heh heh. That's me.

To me, softball is a hitting game. There are a limited number of at bats. I want to hit a line drive every time at the plate. If I'm not getting pitches, I'll give the pitcher another opportunity.

Finally, there are 10 guys standing around waiting for your ball to come to them. If you walk, you're disappointing all those people. I just don't have it in me to walk with less than 2 strikes.

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Heh. A couple of games ago, I got as close to the plate as possible without touching it, and the pitcher walked me a couple times. He was pissed.

KCTitus
06-30-2005, 01:18 PM

holy crap...I played teams that were so competitive that they would stand there and let 4 balls go by that were hitable just to load up the bases. I allways thought it was a chickensh!t strategy for cheap runs...the game was about hitting the ball.

mcan
06-30-2005, 01:21 PM
I actually see this argument both ways.

1. If you sign up for any SPORT that means you're there for exercise, fun, and competition. But everyone is going to put these three things in their own order, and there's nothing wrong with that. I seriously don't see anything wrong with taking it as seriously as you want to, and I believe that everybody should always play to win. If you're just there to have fun and don't care about winning, then you should just watch the game and drink with everybody afterwards. Don't ask to play and then come in and half-ass it, and then blow people off by saying, "Man we're just here to have a good time." That's just being rude to people who actually do care.

2. HOWEVER. Not everybody is going to be Carlos Beltran and make every play, and nobody has the right to be a dick to somebody who is honestly trying. Also there is a big difference between wanting or trying hard to win, and needing to win to have any fun. People who get depressed or upset when they lose just boggle my mind. If you love the game, then honestly TRYING to win should satisfy you.

KCTitus
06-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Also there is a big difference between wanting or trying hard to win, and needing to win to have any fun. People who get depressed or upset when they lose just boggle my mind. If you love the game, then honestly TRYING to win should satisfy you.

One time, while playing in the grandview league, we had a late game that went to it's time limit. It was a close game and the opposing team lost the game by one run, the result of a tag out of the tying run at home in the final half of the inning and the 3rd out coming off a popup.

As we were leaving the field, the other team had surrounded the umpire and was threatening the dude with a beat down. We had to escort the guy to his car.

This was the the 'E' league--the least 'competitive' league they had. 3 of the 6 teams in that league were like that. Just sad.

mcan
06-30-2005, 01:45 PM
One time, while playing in the grandview league, we had a late game that went to it's time limit. It was a close game and the opposing team lost the game by one run, the result of a tag out of the tying run at home in the final half of the inning and the 3rd out coming off a popup.

As we were leaving the field, the other team had surrounded the umpire and was threatening the dude with a beat down. We had to escort the guy to his car.

This was the the 'E' league--the least 'competitive' league they had. 3 of the 6 teams in that league were like that. Just sad.

That sucks. You can't help but feel just a little uncomfortable and embarrassed for people like that though... Just sad...

Saulbadguy
06-30-2005, 01:49 PM
What sucks is this year there is a team in our leage who is supposed to be in league 8, but it, and league 9 filled up, so they are in league 10..the next to last league as far as skill level. They are beating everyone down.

Dartgod
06-30-2005, 01:58 PM
That sucks. You can't help but feel just a little uncomfortable and embarrassed for people like that though... Just sad...
What's worse are parents that behave this way at their kid's games. :shake:

wutamess
06-30-2005, 02:04 PM

1. If you sign up for any SPORT that means you're there for exercise, fun, and competition. But everyone is going to put these three things in their own order, and there's nothing wrong with that. I seriously don't see anything wrong with taking it as seriously as you want to, and I believe that everybody should always play to win. If you're just there to have fun and don't care about winning, then you should just watch the game and drink with everybody afterwards. Don't ask to play and then come in and half-ass it, and then blow people off by saying, "Man we're just here to have a good time." That's just being rude to people who actually do care.

2. HOWEVER. Not everybody is going to be Carlos Beltran and make every play, and nobody has the right to be a dick to somebody who is honestly trying. Also there is a big difference between wanting or trying hard to win, and needing to win to have any fun. People who get depressed or upset when they lose just boggle my mind. If you love the game, then honestly TRYING to win should satisfy you.

Couldn't have said it better myself...
I hate the person that doesn't hustle with all the talent in the world.
But I love the hustler with no talent.

tyton75
06-30-2005, 02:13 PM
its beer league softball... you are an old fart who can't cut it anymore, but like to drink beer with your friends... do your best, but if you phuck something up, its funny; not the end of the world

Lzen
06-30-2005, 02:28 PM

:clap: Well said. I'm one of the more competitive people out there on the team. My brother and I (with whom I've played sports with all my life - mainly hoops but he's also on my softball team) have always been very competitive. Once at a family gathering for Father's Day, I got 7 stiches in the back of my head in a volleyball game. :D Yeah, his knee, my head.

And just the other day, my wife was saying something during the game about how if we're down by 10 runs, we lost. I said you can't think like that or you've already lost. Hell, we were down by double digits in our game 2 days prior and came back to almost win it at the end (lost 16-14) so I know we're capable. Needless to say, the wife didn't like that too well and she got pissy with me. I wasn't really being a jackass, just trying to keep a winning attitude. And we ended up winning our next game of the double header that day. :)

I play the game to have fun but that doesn't mean have a laid back attitude. But I'll never end up being one of those freaks that live or die by wins and losses. My attitude is if we lose, we lose but, just look at how we played and try to improve upon it the next game.

Mosbonian
06-30-2005, 05:43 PM

Couldn't have said it better!! :clap:

I've been playing ball since I was 6 and bugged my dad to play on the 9 to 12 y/o league he coached. No one was more competetive than I was in my earlier years. BUT, I never once took softball so seriously that I lived my life around it, screamed at my friends when they screwed up and dressed liked I just walked out of MC Sports.

As I have imparted to everyone here on an thread a month or two ago, I am playing my "goodbye year" this summer, because it's time to turn this game over to the younger guys, and spend more time coaching my kids. But I will tell you this year has been an eye opener for me in terms of seeing myself when I was younger.

The company is sponsoring a team made up of mostly guys who work there, or the husband of a wife who works at the company. We ended up having to get into a league that was a step above our competition level due to getting our team in late. But, what was supposed to be a "C" league has 3 teams who are more like "A" teams who couldn't get into any other league because no one wanted to play them. And now I know why.....it is 3 whole teams made up of the very type of person that this thread describes. Two of those teams get pissed if they don't destroy every team they play, except each other,within 3 innings. And if they are ahead by 15 runs after a couple of innings, they spend their last at bat making a game out of trying to ding the pitcher.

All 3 of these teams have played together for several years, even switching players amongst each other, but completely destroying any competition. What makes two of these teams less desirable to play is that they love being obnoxious during the game...and even more obnoxious afterwards.

Hey...I don't mind losing to a much better team, and expect it considering we are mostly a bunch of guys who enjoy playing ball for fun. But it's just a game, and making target practice out of the pitcher and taunting your opponent takes all the fun out of it.

I bet Pitt Gorilla, if he plays softball here, could probably name the teams I am talking about...no one really likes them anymore.

mmaddog

Valiant
06-30-2005, 06:05 PM

Some refs need the shit kicked out them... I had a ref calling strikes on me that were dropping four 4-6 feet behind me... I called him out, and he wouldnt do shit.. The other ref was trying to difuse the situation, but all he was doing was backing up his partner... Both coaches fromt he teams agreed that the guy was calling bullshit calls because of the team I was subbing on.. He bought me beers at the bar, afterwards..

Valiant
06-30-2005, 06:07 PM
What sucks is this year there is a team in our leage who is supposed to be in league 8, but it, and league 9 filled up, so they are in league 10..the next to last league as far as skill level. They are beating everyone down.

I have never heard leagues with that many divisions.. Everyone I have been apart of is A thru E on level...

Valiant
06-30-2005, 06:14 PM
Couldn't have said it better!! :clap:

I've been playing ball since I was 6 and bugged my dad to play on the 9 to 12 y/o league he coached. No one was more competetive than I was in my earlier years. BUT, I never once took softball so seriously that I lived my life around it, screamed at my friends when they screwed up and dressed liked I just walked out of MC Sports.

As I have imparted to everyone here on an thread a month or two ago, I am playing my "goodbye year" this summer, because it's time to turn this game over to the younger guys, and spend more time coaching my kids. But I will tell you this year has been an eye opener for me in terms of seeing myself when I was younger.

The company is sponsoring a team made up of mostly guys who work there, or the husband of a wife who works at the company. We ended up having to get into a league that was a step above our competition level due to getting our team in late. But, what was supposed to be a "C" league has 3 teams who are more like "A" teams who couldn't get into any other league because no one wanted to play them. And now I know why.....it is 3 whole teams made up of the very type of person that this thread describes. Two of those teams get pissed if they don't destroy every team they play, except each other,within 3 innings. And if they are ahead by 15 runs after a couple of innings, they spend their last at bat making a game out of trying to ding the pitcher.

All 3 of these teams have played together for several years, even switching players amongst each other, but completely destroying any competition. What makes two of these teams less desirable to play is that they love being obnoxious during the game...and even more obnoxious afterwards.

Hey...I don't mind losing to a much better team, and expect it considering we are mostly a bunch of guys who enjoy playing ball for fun. But it's just a game, and making target practice out of the pitcher and taunting your opponent takes all the fun out of it.

I bet Pitt Gorilla, if he plays softball here, could probably name the teams I am talking about...no one really likes them anymore.

mmaddog

Those teams do not play the upper divisions because noone wanted to play them, these types of teams drop down levels to practice on your teams and humilate your teams... These are the asses of the higher divisions.. It pisses me off how many of these clubs that are A and B that play D divisions...

Jenny Gump
06-30-2005, 06:18 PM
My 7 year old's coach pitch team played against a team that was full of boys like that guy. Damn, you should have seen them making double plays and stuff. Our team is modeled somewhat after the Bad News Bears compared to them.

Demonpenz
06-30-2005, 11:21 PM
reminds me of high school alumni basketball

WilliamTheIrish
07-01-2005, 04:32 PM

Completely different animal. Fast pitch is a game with strategy. Base stealing. Moving the runner over with the bunt. Pitch outs. Throws to 2b to nail a runner. Taking the extra base. It's a game where you need a short compact swing, not the high leg kick followed by UUUUUGGGHHHH!!!!! that you see in slow pitch.
You have to be competitive just to play. I played catcher on a local team for 15 years. Loved every minute of it.

It's too bad that it's a dying sport. There were some great teams in the Kansas City, Topeka, St Joe area. Not many good pitchers left. Lots of good players, just a lack of pitchers.