PDA

View Full Version : Book of Questions...Part 1

jspchief
06-30-2005, 07:22 PM
I just stumbled across an old book of mine called The Book of Questions. It has some interesting philosophical type questions, so I thought I might post a few here on the Planet to spice up the off-season. If it takes, I'll post more of them.

First Question:

Would you be willing to become extremely ugly physically if it meant you would live for 1,000 years at any age you choose?

Rain Man
06-30-2005, 07:25 PM
I used to have that book, and really liked it. I think it had some fun questions in it.

As for me, heck yeah. 1,000 years is a lot further from my current state than is extreme ugliness.

jspchief
06-30-2005, 07:34 PM
I used to have that book, and really liked it. I think it had some fun questions in it.

As for me, heck yeah. 1,000 years is a lot further from my current state than is extreme ugliness.Every young adult should have one of these books. It's full of questions that stimulate conversation.

I like your way of thinking, but don't skimp on the answer...elaborate. What age, and why?

Me personally, I would choose to live my normal life. Part of it is not wanting to be physically ugly. But another part of it is wanting to experience an actual lifetime. The highs wouldn't seem as high if there weren't valleys to compare them to.

If I had to choose an age, it would come down to two choices:

11 or 12, when you're old enough to be a bit independent, but young enough to still think the world is fun.

Or 20. Based on my personal experience, that was the funnest age I've experienced yet. I would hate to see my liver after living 1000 years like a 20 year old though.

Simplex3
06-30-2005, 07:38 PM
One down side to living 1,000 years is that you will know the day of your death. Another would be watching everyone you loved and cared for die. Give me the life I'm living, thank you.

Zebedee DuBois
06-30-2005, 07:49 PM
I think 75 - 95 years in this plane of existence is enough. I am curious at to what is on the other side. While I am in no big hurry to find out, I think I would get bored waiting a thousand years.

And it would be a crime to deprive the world of beauty.

Marco Polo
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
is Edmond Jabes the author? I'm going to look and buy it and I'm trying to find a cheap one on the internet (even if it's used)

Rain Man
06-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Every young adult should have one of these books. It's full of questions that stimulate conversation.

I like your way of thinking, but don't skimp on the answer...elaborate. What age, and why?

I think the advantage of living 1,000 years is that you could experience several lifetimes. You'd lose people you know and love, but you'd find other people. The same thing happens every time we move to a different city.

Ugly wouldn't be great, but it's a small price to pay for the following:

1. Observe a sweeping view of history and civilizations. See nations rise and fall, and witness acts great and evil.

2. Get the chance to experiment with your life, and try things differently with the next generation if your decisions this time around didn't work so well.

3. If your age is public, you'd be very, very famous, rich, and respected. Imagine if we had someone today who could tell us firsthand about the Rennaissance and the Dark Ages and the Revolutionary War.

As for my age, I'd go with 29, an age old enough where you're respected as an adult, but young enough to be in good physical shape.

jspchief
06-30-2005, 07:54 PM
is Edmond Jabes the author? I'm going to look and buy it and I'm trying to find a cheap one on the internet (even if it's used)No. Gregory Stock is the author.

I highly recommend it. It was a NY Times bestseller back in the day (I got it in the late 80s or early 90s). It's an excellent book for anyone that's around 17 and older. I can remember going through it countless times in high school and college, while sitting with a group of freinds.

Marco Polo
06-30-2005, 07:55 PM
I think the advantage of living 1,000 years is that you could experience several lifetimes. You'd lose people you know and love, but you'd find other people. The same thing happens every time we move to a different city.

1. Observe a sweeping view of history and civilizations. See nations rise and fall, and witness acts great and evil.

2. Get the chance to experiment with your life, and try things differently with the next generation if your decisions this time around didn't work so well.

3. If your age is public, you'd be very, very famous, rich, and respected. Imagine if we had someone today who could tell us firsthand about the Rennaissance and the Dark Ages and the Revolutionary War.

As for my age, I'd go with 29, an age old enough where you're respected as an adult, but young enough to be in good physical shape.

Well thought out. I agree with everything you just said :clap:

jspchief
06-30-2005, 07:56 PM

#1 is an excellent answer, that I hadn't thought of.

The knowledge you could amass in that time would be incredible too.

Marco Polo
06-30-2005, 08:23 PM
Just bought the book! :)

jspchief
06-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Just bought the book! :) :thumb: