PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Experiment is a Bad Idea

Dave Lane
07-01-2005, 08:50 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8607175

Guess they are not drinking the Browncos koolaid

Dave

(June 29, 2005) -- A closer look at some of the good and bad ideas floating around during the offseason:

GOOD IDEA

The Dallas Cowboys working first-round draft pick Marcus Spears at left defensive end and moving Greg Ellis to the right side: At 295 pounds, Spears has the bulk and strength to play the run more effectively than Ellis. Spears looks to have the ability to handle an offensive tackle one-on-one because he consistently shows proper technique and superb footwork to gain good leverage and balance. The fact that his pass-rush skills might be lacking isn't a problem given that the Cowboys' primary defensive concern on early downs is stopping the run.

The Jacksonville Jaguars taking a chance on making quarterback-turned-receiver Matt Jones a first-round draft pick: Since recovering from a hamstring injury early in offseason workouts, Jones has made a favorable impression on the Jaguars' coaches with his route running (considered his greatest shortcoming) and the fact he rarely drops a pass. If he can perform the same way during games, Jones could make a major splash with his incredible speed (4.3-second 40-yard dash) and towering frame.

BAD IDEA

Tight end Bubba Franks considering not reporting to the Green Bay Packers' training camp in an effort to get a major boost in pay and a long-term contract: It is unlikely that new Packers general manager Ted Thompson is going to satisfy Franks' salary demands. Franks is likely to end up playing this season under a transition tag that has already been placed on him.

The Denver Broncos counting on an improved defensive line built from Cleveland Browns castoffs: The new duo heading the Browns' football operation, general manager Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel, had no problem saying goodbye to a group of athletes whose time in Cleveland was defined by underachievement, poor health … or both. Why that still didn't prevent the Broncos brass from welcoming them with open arms is somewhat of a mystery. If all that Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, Ebenezer Ekuban and Michael Myers needed was a change of scenery, they likely would still be in Cleveland, whose football scenery has dramatically changed under the new regime.

Mile High Mania
07-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Just rehasing old news... the boredom is setting in nicely with the lack of real news to discuss.

jspchief
07-01-2005, 08:56 AM
I don't buy the Matt Jones crap. Of course reports out of camp are good. The Jags need this to work out to avoid egg on their face, so they sure as hell aren't going to speak negatively about him.

I don't see any way that converting him to a position he's never played (to any great extent) could be better than just drafting a real WR.

Dave Lane
07-01-2005, 09:25 AM
I don't buy the Matt Jones crap. Of course reports out of camp are good. The Jags need this to work out to avoid egg on their face, so they sure as hell aren't going to speak negatively about him.

I don't see any way that converting him to a position he's never played (to any great extent) could be better than just drafting a real WR.

I agree I don't get it...

Dave

TEX
07-01-2005, 10:25 AM
You know, it's too early to tell if it will work out or not. The Donx needed help on the D-line and they took the shotgun approach with the hopes that they just might get a player or two out of the bunch. They didn't have much cap room, so their choices were limited. But some of those guys have already had a change of venue once so it will be interesting. :hmmm:

vailpass
07-01-2005, 11:21 AM
You know, it's too early to tell if it will work out or not. The Donx needed help on the D-line and they took the shotgun approach with the hopes that they just might get a player or two out of the bunch. They didn't have much cap room, so their choices were limited. But some of those guys have already had a change of venue once so it will be interesting. :hmmm:

That pretty much sums up my view exactly. If one good apple comes out of the bunch then great if not then not a whole lot was lost. If you don't have big cap $ you are not going to sign a premier DL.

Same thing with KC signing FredEx and Ambrose. If they contribute it is all gravy if not then not much lost. Every team in the league takes this approach from time to time.

Please Lord let the season begin.

Brando
07-01-2005, 11:24 AM
We are talking about the team that views Jake Plummer's Crack as their savior after all.

ct
07-01-2005, 11:31 AM

If they can develop him into even a decent WR, then add that size and speed, he's well worth the 1st round pick. But I certainly don't expect to see that for a couple years. This was a team that really didn't have a huge need anywhere, so why not roll the dice?

Gaz
07-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, they had to do something. This might pan out or it might not. It is way too soon to tell.

In either case, Denver is not likely to be worse off than last season.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes it is a really bad move.

jspchief
07-01-2005, 12:12 PM
This was a team that really didn't have a huge need anywhere, so why not roll the dice?That could be a valid point. If Reggie Williams can develop into a starter, then that will give Jones a chance to break in slowly under the tutelage of Jimmy Smith who supposed to be an excellent technician. Jones might also slip into more of a TE role than a WR, given his size. The Jags could use a pass catching TE. I do think Jax could have used a CB, but there was no one there at that pick.

Looking at their team, they have scary good talent. If Taylor plays, they will probably contend for that division. The only other competition will be Indy IMO. Jax may be another team we have to outperform for a wildcard spot. The road to the play-offs won't be easy for AFC West teams.

Taco John
07-01-2005, 12:29 PM
As if Romeo Crennell is going to do anything in Cleveland but what every other coach has done in Cleveland...

ct
07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
As if Romeo Crennell is going to do anything in Cleveland but what every other coach has done in Cleveland...

I'm of the opinion that Romeo will be yet another 'Great coordinator, crappy head coach', but that's just my opinion.

whoman69
07-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Great football town that has been saddled with crappy football since their return. They made the right choice in ridding themselves of those underachievers. I have to agree with the fact that if they wanted a change of scenery, the new coach should provide that. The fact that the new coach could do without them speaks volumes.

Mile High Mania
07-01-2005, 01:52 PM
The new coach could have provided that... but, it's likely the players were tired of the team, town and fans and vice versa. Plus, why wouldn't Romeo want to wipe the slate clean and start a new era? Why try to rebuild with the same players from the past regime. Just start fresh... hopefully it works out for all parties. I'm just hoping one of the former Browns steps up as a solid starter and another is a solid rotational guy.