PDA

View Full Version : Finally think I have decided on a smoker.

BIG_DADDY
07-01-2005, 01:07 PM
I think pops is going to be a dealer for these guys so I can get a nice discount off of the retail price.

I am looking at the Traeger Delux http://www.traegerindustries.com/grill1.htm#bbq_124

I have a guy who has an award winning meat shop and he says these are the best. Anyone got one? It's an electic pellet smoker.

china_cup727
07-01-2005, 01:22 PM
Do they sell them at the BBQ Galore Store in Palo Alto??

BIG_DADDY
07-01-2005, 01:27 PM
No there is only one place to get them in Northern California. Cole Harware in San Francisco. 956 Cole Street (415) 753-2653 They had the Lil Tex which most people would get in stock 2 days ago. I am holding out to see if pops becomes a dealer. He is in Oregon and I would get cost and no sales tax.

BIG_DADDY
07-01-2005, 01:29 PM
BBQ Galore is WAY over priced. I sent a friend there to get the Brinkman smoker for $199 but they kept trying to push him into one of their products and he tired of it so he just left.

htismaqe
07-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Traeger is the boss, BD. Excellent quality. They're a little pricy, but from what I've been told, the auto-feed pellet system greatly reduces hand-holding, which is worth it IMO.

BIG_DADDY
07-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Traeger is the boss, BD. Excellent quality. They're a little pricy, but from what I've been told, the auto-feed pellet system greatly reduces hand-holding, which is worth it IMO.

Yea I'm pretty stoked. I should find out next week if he is going to be a dealer. At the very least I would imagine he could be one long enough to get me one. I figure the cost on that Delux model probably runs around $800. If for any reason he chooses not to be I will probably go for the Lil Tex. Using combination pellets is supposed to provide you with some very unique tasting grub from what I can gather.

KC Dan
07-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Yea I'm pretty stoked. I should find out next week if he is going to be a dealer. At the very least I would imagine he could be one long enough to get me one. I figure the cost on that Delux model probably runs around $800. If for any reason he chooses not to be I will probably go for the Lil Tex. Using combination pellets is supposed to provide you with some very unique tasting grub from what I can gather.
Ok then, you have until late July - early August to get it fired up. I gotta make a customer visit to the Bay area then. I will be anticipating some good vittles!

BIG_DADDY
07-01-2005, 02:59 PM
Ok then, you have until late July - early August to get it fired up. I gotta make a customer visit to the Bay area then. I will be anticipating some good vittles!

Chew got it main. :)

Phobia
07-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Using combination pellets is supposed to provide you with some very unique tasting grub from what I can gather.

I do the same thing burning combination logs. Believe it or not, I burn a lot of cedar and oak. I don't think many people do. It's a perk of being in this business. Cedar scrap from decks and oak scrap from hardwood floors.

PastorMikH
07-01-2005, 07:24 PM
Man that smoker is little. I can smoke 35-40 racks of ribs at the same time on ours.

Skip Towne
07-01-2005, 07:30 PM
I see both Phobia and Parker are on this thread. That is good. If it were me I would sure want our "smoker geniouses" to look it over before I bought it.

Phobia
07-01-2005, 07:31 PM
I don't know anything. I'm a smoker noob. I know my own rig and that's about it. I did, however, give Troy some advice regarding the size of the last one he was looking at. It was way too small.

Skip Towne
07-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Man that smoker is little. I can smoke 35-40 racks of ribs at the same time on ours.
Yeah, I saw pics of that Hawg. I'll bet it can fire small guided missles as well.

PastorMikH
07-01-2005, 07:35 PM
I put a pic up a while back, but that was before I cleaned, sand-blasted, and painted the bad boy. I picked up a rick of apple tree wood last night and we're doing a bunch of ribs a week from tommorow.

PastorMikH
07-01-2005, 07:40 PM
Here's the before pic again...

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=41708&stc=1

mlyonsd
07-01-2005, 07:44 PM
I think pops is going to be a dealer for these guys so I can get a nice discount off of the retail price.

I am looking at the Traeger Delux http://www.traegerindustries.com/grill1.htm#bbq_124

I have a guy who has an award winning meat shop and he says these are the best. Anyone got one? It's an electic pellet smoker.

Electric. Smart move. Smoking is all about constant consistent heat.

You have learned well grasshopper.

PastorMikH
07-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Electric. Smart move. Smoking is all about constant consistent heat.

You have learned well grasshopper.

One of my dad's friends owned a resturaunt/bar when I was a teenager. He had a smoker that had a cabinet about like a good steel gun case, with racks on the inside and two heater elements VERY similar to a hot water heater element near the bottom. He put a stick of hickory on each element, his meat on the racks, then close it up for 3-4 hours. The smoked meat did wonders for his resturaunt, too bad he spent so much time drinking up the profits in the bar.

mlyonsd
07-01-2005, 08:06 PM
One of my dad's friends owned a resturaunt/bar when I was a teenager. He had a smoker that had a cabinet about like a good steel gun case, with racks on the inside and two heater elements VERY similar to a hot water heater element near the bottom. He put a stick of hickory on each element, his meat on the racks, then close it up for 3-4 hours. The smoked meat did wonders for his resturaunt, too bad he spent so much time drinking up the profits in the bar.

Unfortunately if I ever open up a bar I'll have to watch very close to not follow in your dad's friend's footsteps.

IMO charcoal and propane are for grilling.

Mojo Rising
07-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Did you ever use that little Brinkman I gave you? That does look like a nice smoker. My Mom just brought me some Oklahoma Joes and Haywards sauce from KC. Let me know when you break it in.

Manila-Chief
07-02-2005, 09:00 AM

Yeah, but you have to feed the whole church!!! Bet, the deacons like you for doing that!!!

Oh, looks like you did a great job on the smoker. It sure looks a lot better.

It looks like it would be great to use in disaster relief missions. That would be quite a treat for people who have lost everything. And, you have it on wheel ... will travel!!!

Living over here for 30 years has gotten me out of the bbq thing, and I thought I didn't want to bother with doing it, but you guys have got me stoked about trying this smoking thing. Sounds delicious and fun to do.

PastorMikH
07-02-2005, 09:06 AM
Yeah, but you have to feed the whole church!!! Bet, the deacons like you for doing that!!!

Actually, we use the smoker for fund raisers. Right now we are collecting orders from around town for ribs - $13 a slab. They are selling fairly well too. This is the first I have been in on the action, but with the last Pastor, the same guys used to raise a grand or two per cooking. It has been about 3 years since they have fired the smoker up so they are telling me the first cooking or two might not see that, but once we are cooking again, the customers will be lining up.

nychief
07-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I put a pic up a while back, but that was before I cleaned, sand-blasted, and painted the bad boy. I picked up a rick of apple tree wood last night and we're doing a bunch of ribs a week from tommorow.

pastormike - that is ****ING AWESOME. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I am in awe.

Manila-Chief
07-02-2005, 09:21 AM
Mike did someone in the church build that baby? I bet you can't just go out and pick one up off a lot somewhere.

I like that idea ... fund raiser and at the same time a ministry to the community. Great plan!

PastorMikH
07-02-2005, 10:04 AM
Mike did someone in the church build that baby? I bet you can't just go out and pick one up off a lot somewhere.

I like that idea ... fund raiser and at the same time a ministry to the community. Great plan!

Yeah, the men in the Church built it back about 10-12 years ago. It is a pretty nice setup - a few extra holes for air to slip in where things didn't get all the way welded. The smaller tank in the front (on the left of the main tank) is a large charcoal grill.