PDA

View Full Version : ENDelt's deck thread

ENDelt260
04-19-2005, 06:55 PM

Boozer
04-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Might as well get this one out of the way...

Those stairs look like they've seen some heavy duty service, you know, like from fat chicks. 'Cause ENDelt likes his girls heavy.

Saulbadguy
04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
You are going to rip it out? Is your HOA not responsible for that?

Saulbadguy
04-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Every unit doesn't have one, so it's my responsibility.
Gotcha. Our "deck" area is our responsibility as well.

Hammock Parties
04-19-2005, 09:33 PM
How many times have you had sex out there?

PastorMikH
05-16-2005, 07:35 PM
How many times have you had sex out there?

Probably none. That deck doesn't look like it could support the weight.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Probably none. That deck doesn't look like it could support the weight.

Zing!

Jenson71
05-16-2005, 08:14 PM
Now, the hot tub on the other hand...

You have a hot tub or you're gonna put one up there?

Grill?

Phobia
05-16-2005, 09:29 PM
You have a hot tub or you're gonna put one up there?

Grill?

Dude - just wait for the after shots.

Hammock Parties
05-16-2005, 09:39 PM
You gonna tile that sumbitch?

KCWolfman
05-16-2005, 09:41 PM
Phil's best attempt at making my neighbors hate me

That's his best?

Damn, I would have used some spray paint graffiti on the boards mentioning everyone's ethnicity.

Don't tell me he is playing that Celine Dion music real loud while he works again.

KCWolfman
05-16-2005, 11:27 PM
Everyone's ethnicity? Dude, I live in Scottsdale. The only non-white people in this town a) don't speak English and b) are either selling roses at your local drinking establishment or hanging out at Home Depot waiting for Phil to come pick them up to help work on my deck.
LOL. My kids said the same thing about Home Depot when they visited the grandparents in Phoenix last January.

Logical
05-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Got interrupted for a minute. Here's a shot of the deck standing on it.

.I see the Arizona sun has done a number on it. Are you planning to replace it with more wood or a composite material?

Skip Towne
05-17-2005, 07:20 AM
Shouldn't this job have been scheduled for December when the temperature was below 130°?

Logical
05-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Wood. Phil thought the synthetic stuff would get too hot.

That is a good point, though they are more durable, their closed pore systems would not release the heat like wood.

KCWolfman
05-17-2005, 10:54 PM
Hey, that's Phil's problem. Well, unless he has a stroke before he finishes. That would suck.
Do you have a CPR merit badge?

It would be a shame to stand over his dying body and tell him that you would save him, but legally you are no longer an Eagle Scout and allowed to do so.

unlurking
05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
Do you have a CPR merit badge?

It would be a shame to stand over his dying body and tell him that you would save him, but legally you are no longer an Eagle Scout and allowed to do so.
ROFL

Otter
05-18-2005, 07:47 AM
I want to see the pic of Endo sitting back in the shade drinking a brew while Phil is hauling 4x4s and fighting off heat stroke.

Phobia
05-18-2005, 08:01 AM
I want to see the pic of Endo sitting back in the shade drinking a brew while Phil is hauling 4x4s and fighting off heat stroke.

Heh - not gonna happen. I've erected a shade over the entire deck and yesterday installed misters. Those misters make a lot of difference.

Skip Towne
05-18-2005, 08:21 AM
Is there any cold beer being consumed during this project? We also need an update on the neighbor girl.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 11:21 AM
It seems like every time one of us leaves the house he comes back with more beer. There must be five or six different varieties of beer in my fridge right now.

I've read this over a few times now and I just don't see the problem.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Who said there was a problem?

Your it seems like everytime... had a bit of a whine to it,but then again I'm just jealous so pay me no mind.

Nzoner
05-18-2005, 12:39 PM
A bit of whine? You must be applying someone else's tone of voice to my words. C'mon, man. I love beer.

I usually don't mix as many in a night as I have been, though. I'm more of a drink one beer all night kind of guy. But, on Monday, IIRC, I started w/ Sam Adams Summer Ale, then had Sam Adams Double Bock, then Nimbus Old Monkeyshine, and finally Alaskan Amber. Last night I started w/ the Summer Ale again.. at some point had an Alaskan, then went back to Summer Ale. Some Maudite and Hidden River Black & Tan got tossed in there. Then more Summer Ale & Alaskan. I must've finished off the Summer Ale and Alaskan, because I ended the night with Bass.

I don't even know what all is still in the fridge. I know there's a twelver of Bass and a twelver of Sam Adams. There's still some Hidden River Black & Tan. There's a bottle of something I don't remember the name of that Phil picked up at the liquor store on Monday. There may still be some other stuff.

My fridge is a happy place.

Damn,I caught a buzz just reading that.

Saulbadguy
05-18-2005, 01:09 PM
Whenever I mix and match beers, I get the farts.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Damn! I had to triple take the thread title. This thread is one letter away from being a real nightmare!

And how did I know this discussion would spiral into beer consumption and the neighbor girl? Saul telling us he farts when he has a variety of beers was a curveball, though.

Bob Dole
05-18-2005, 02:06 PM

Breathing has the same effect on Bob Dole.

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 02:42 PM

I think you accidently mispelled "queef"

Phobia
05-18-2005, 02:46 PM
Shit. I have to pull up some subfloor and do some joist repair. That's gonna set me back a day.

go bo
05-18-2005, 02:58 PM
this thread is worthless without pics... :p :p :p

Iowanian
05-18-2005, 03:03 PM
Build those steps with extra strenth
reinforce between great lengths.
The steps will creek and strain with tons of weight
As Delt opens up the trailer gate.
His date sees hot-ub but forced to stop
Must catch her breath to make the top.

He's known a fan of all things blubber
the Ladith man, no fear of flubber

Those 2x12's you'd better double
else this deck, end up in rubble.

Bowser
05-18-2005, 03:17 PM

Gotta go spread some rep around......

dirk digler
05-18-2005, 03:48 PM

ROFL

Bowser
05-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Nice grill! Too bad that the reflection from that chrome grill is going to burn down the condo in that desert sun!

jspchief
05-18-2005, 08:43 PM
So what is the subfloor made of? I can't tell from the pics. How are you going to make it shed water?

PastorMikH
05-18-2005, 11:22 PM
Some new pics.

First up, my grill is bigger than yours!

Uhm, no, it's not. In fact, I think I my grill is the biggest Grill on the Planet.

:D

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=41708&stc=1

Manila-Chief
05-19-2005, 12:47 AM
Wow!!! I've heard of churches expecting a lot from a pastor but this is ridiculous! Most churches feed their pastor but your church expects you to feed the whole congregation!!! The guys in the congregation have to worry about feeding their family but you .....

Phobia
05-19-2005, 02:13 AM
So what is the subfloor made of? I can't tell from the pics. How are you going to make it shed water?

Don't ask. If I ever meet the architect, I'll crack him in the mouth. This is horribly designed. You don't even want to know. You'd be horrified.

BigRedChief
05-19-2005, 07:57 AM
Uhm, no, it's not. In fact, I think I my grill is the biggest Grill on the Planet.

Holy Batman! The King of grills has arrived. All Hail the Grillmaster! :toast:

Skip Towne
05-19-2005, 08:04 AM
It will take a deuce and a quarter to pull that grill around.

Mr. Kotter
05-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Biggest "grill" on the Planet, Pastor? :shake:

A bit of humility may be in order... ;)

KC Dan
05-19-2005, 09:24 AM
How much longer will Phil be out there?

KC Dan
05-19-2005, 09:39 AM
Til he's done.
Yeah, that helps nimrod! He will probably be gone but I will be there on May 31st for four days

Katipan
05-19-2005, 10:00 AM
I can't say I can really think of any off the top of my head.

There's not really a lot of good spots out there. That table's usually filthy. The walls aren't smooth, I'd imagine they'd be quite uncomfortable to lean against. Even if the boards were new and perfect, they'd still be hard and uncomfortable. As it is, they're in quite the state of disrepair. No one would consider laying down on them.

Now, the hot tub on the other hand...

I'm so bummed over your lack of imagination.

Scaga
05-19-2005, 10:05 AM
His goal is to be gone by then... but, we'll see if that happens.

Pink would like a couple of days notice before he heads home....
so she can...ummm.... clean up. Yea...that's the ticket.

KC Dan
05-19-2005, 10:05 AM
His goal is to be gone by then... but, we'll see if that happens.
It won't as long as he continues to post on the planet when he should be working on your deck!

Phobia
05-19-2005, 10:22 AM
Hell, I've already completed the work of 2 men this morning. Now I'm off to the depot to buy more shit.

Iowanian
05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Sounds like my poem was correct, and you'd better double up those Joists.

The water splashes out the Top
this nights girl, did belly flop.
The Hot tub, a great idear
4 person tub will fit her rear.

A lesson learned, Too much to expect
1 cannon ball, 1 water bed wrecked.
In cursing rage, she's someone's daughter
your condo filled....4" of water.

You fell a sleep and now its morning
should have heeded, weight limit warning.
Awkward chat as you get dressed
She'll back tonight,
she's got your address

RedNFeisty
05-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I'm so bummed over your lack of imagination.

I was thinking the same thing. :)

jspchief
05-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Hey Phil, what are you going to do for joists under the decking? I assume you're just going to do what they did before and lay down floating 2xs.

You might want to cut some extra strips from the 90# to use as pads under them, so they aren't sitting directly on the roofing material. That way any wear from friction should occur on the strips. If you have enough room, you might even buy a sheet of 1/2" fiber board an cut strips out of that.

I thought of that after I talked to you the other day. Hope I'm not too late with the suggestion.

Donger
05-20-2005, 03:00 PM
Phobia, where are you going to buy wood? I'm contemplating a very simple 8x8 deck, and I've priced 2"x6"x8' pressure-treated pine at Home Depot at $6.69 each.

Is that expensive?

Donger
05-20-2005, 03:01 PM
When they're done, I'll post some shots of that.

Take pictures of them when they're working. They like that.

Phobia
05-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Phobia, where are you going to buy wood? I'm contemplating a very simple 8x8 deck, and I've priced 2"x6"x8' pressure-treated pine at Home Depot at $6.69 each.

Is that expensive?

Nah. That's about right. Believe it or not, I get most of my lumber at Lowes and Home Depot. The local lumber yards and deck suppliers aren't any cheaper and there's a Lowes/Depot within a couple miles of all my jobs.

Donger
05-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Nah. That's about right. Believe it or not, I get most of my lumber at Lowes and Home Depot. The local lumber yards and deck suppliers aren't any cheaper and there's a Lowes/Depot within a couple miles of all my jobs.

Excellent. Thank you. I'm tempted to buy the redwood but it's around $9.50 a board. The Douglas Fir is $4.50. Ever use Douglas Fir?

Phobia
05-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Use douglas fir on a deck only if you intend to put about 3 coats of paint on each side.

Logical
05-20-2005, 10:35 PM
Putting together the new decking has begun.

.That looks nice. I expect a great result. On other fronts your HOA sucks, because those stairs are indeed same as before in color and look almost as bad. Oh well at least I am sure they are safe now.

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 08:19 AM
New steps.

Are those steps wide enough for.....um.....the things you need to take up there?

Baby Lee
05-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Any consideration to laying your deck out in Trex or the like?
My buddy just got one of those multi-level decks that span the entire back of the house, and it was composed entirely of composite. Don't know if it was Trex or one of the competitors. Mix of sawdust and recycled plastics with UV protection. He chose the one he did because of it's sturdiness and because it was molded with redwood grain.
Very nice.
Not too much more expensive in the long haul, considering that it's maintenance free. Biggest drawback was it is murder on sawblades. Think MDF on crack.

PastorMikH
05-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Are those steps wide enough for.....um.....the things you need to take up there?

If she won't fit up those steps, she's to heavy for Phil's work anyway.:)

Skip Towne
05-21-2005, 06:08 PM
If she won't fit up those steps, she's to heavy for Phil's work anyway.:)
ROFL Good one!!

Bob Dole
05-23-2005, 05:53 PM
There was discussion of using composite, but Phil was concerned that the composite decking holds heat more than wood, and that in Arizona that could be an important detail. So, we went with wood.

Wood-amia.

Baby Lee
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
There was discussion of using composite, but Phil was concerned that the composite decking holds heat more than wood, and that in Arizona that could be an important detail. So, we went with wood.
I can see that as a concern, particularly as you are inevitably gonna run into recycled plastics.
Just kind of interested in how much work they've put into durability under extreme heat, because my buddy put a lot of research into what the specs were on durability under UV and durability under changing conditions [hot to cold].
And I must say, it's a sweet deck. Now to see how it looks 10-15 years from now.

Bob Dole
05-23-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't think that speech pattern ever did actually get utilized. Though, to be honest, my memory's kinda blurry.

Perhaps that's one of the problemamias.

|Zach|
05-23-2005, 08:25 PM
I just started a new job today doing deck preservation and stuff like that. It has been good so far.

Phobia
05-23-2005, 10:41 PM
That looks nice. I expect a great result. On other fronts your HOA sucks, because those stairs are indeed same as before in color and look almost as bad. Oh well at least I am sure they are safe now.

Those steps haven't been painted yet. The kickboards were recycled from the previous stairs, but the decking on the stairs is an unpainted redwood. Despite the grain patterns in the wood playing tricks on your eyes, they're completely straight and level now. In some spots we had to make a 3" adjustment to the right side.

Phobia
05-23-2005, 10:43 PM
I can see that as a concern, particularly as you are inevitably gonna run into recycled plastics.
Just kind of interested in how much work they've put into durability under extreme heat, because my buddy put a lot of research into what the specs were on durability under UV and durability under changing conditions [hot to cold].
And I must say, it's a sweet deck. Now to see how it looks 10-15 years from now.

I wasn't as concerend about the temperature affecting durability as I was comfort. I've experienced a hybrid wood and trex deck in 90 degree heat. The trex was too hot to stand on and I had to jump over to the wood decking. I can't imagine how that would affect not only the comfort on his feet, but also the surrounding temperature if the plastic is holding that much heat. If he were allowed to cover the deck, that would be another story.

teedubya
05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
this deck progress is going really slow as far as I can see.

NewChief
05-25-2005, 08:48 PM
this deck progress is going really slow as far as I can see.

I think for an accurate picture of what's going on now, we should all go rent Leaving Las Vegas. For Phil's part, just picture Elizabeth Shue with a much bigger head and a goatee.

unlurking
05-26-2005, 05:53 PM
I've just been lazy the past couple days. We were out of town over the weekend. Monday got lost to Mexico. I'll probably post some new pics tomorrow.
Well, it's tomorrow lazy ass!

;)

unlurking
05-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Yeah, but it ain't quittin' time in AZ yet.
Ahh, good point, work that lazy biotch to the bone.

Oughtta post pics of you lounging with a drink in your hand while Phobia's on his hands and knees poppin nails into the deck!

;)

KCWolfman
05-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Ahh, good point, work that lazy biotch to the bone.

Oughtta post pics of you lounging with a drink in your hand while Phobia's on his hands and knees poppin nails into the deck!

;)
That's what I was thinkin

"Okay, deck boy, if you get enough done tonight, you get a single clue as to where the truck is being stored. If I don't see progress, then you only get a piece of the truck, removed with a sledgehammer"

Jenny Gump
05-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Wow, you have a big deck.

KCWolfman
05-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Just a couple new pics today.

More progress on the decking.
That broad's legs are horrible. I sure hope she can cook at least.

KC Dan
05-26-2005, 09:26 PM
Phil gonna still be there Tuesday night?

pink
05-26-2005, 09:33 PM
Phil gonna still be there Tuesday night?
his wife hopes not.

Mr. Kotter
05-26-2005, 09:33 PM
his wife hopes not.

Gettin' horny, eh?

teedubya
05-26-2005, 09:36 PM
progress looking good. that phil guy apparently has a skill or two... who knew?

KC Jones
05-26-2005, 09:52 PM
that phil guy apparently has a skill or two... who knew?

That's weird, his wife was just talking about how unskilled he was just last night.

cdcox
05-27-2005, 12:12 AM
I notice you have a solid wall around your deck. Have Phobia leave a section a little shorter so you and your male guests can experience one of the finer pleasures in life: whizing off the deck. Not every one has enough length to flop it over or a small enough prostrate (Skip) to arch it over.

NewChief
05-27-2005, 04:54 AM
That's looking pretty sweet. Very pretty wood that's beign used. I didn't realize you'd gottten so ambitious with it...bar, outdoor kitchen, daaamn.

KC Dan
05-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I suppose that depends on the progress made this weekend. I honestly don't know how long it will take him to finish what's left. It seems to me that there's a lot left to be done, but I don't have a solid grasp on what tasks are more time consuming than others.
Well, I will give you a call while I'm there. I will be staying closer to the airport this time at Legacy Golf Resort. Be there Monday night through Friday.

Donger
05-27-2005, 09:35 AM
Does anyone (Phob?) know if it's acceptable to use 2"x6"x8' for framing and joists? Deck's going to be 8' x 8' and will not have much weight on it. I know the 2x6s are fine for the decking, but I was curious if the framing and joists need to be 2x8s or if I can get by with 2x6s.

Thanks.

Phobia
05-27-2005, 10:04 AM
Does anyone (Phob?) know if it's acceptable to use 2"x6"x8' for framing and joists? Deck's going to be 8' x 8' and will not have much weight on it. I know the 2x6s are fine for the decking, but I was curious if the framing and joists need to be 2x8s or if I can get by with 2x6s.

Thanks.

If the deck is 12" or less off the ground, yes you can use 2X6 for the joists. Anything higher should use 2x8

Donger
05-27-2005, 10:14 AM
If the deck is 12" or less off the ground, yes you can use 2X6 for the joists. Anything higher should use 2x8

Thanks Phob. That's 12" or less at the top or the bottom of the deck?

Phobia
05-27-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks Phob. That's 12" or less at the top or the bottom of the deck?

Well, the purpose of the "rule" or code is to prevent falls in case of breakage. So, it must be 12" from the top of the decking. It may even be 18" in your area. You would need to check with a local building inspector or call your housing authority.

Donger
05-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Well, the purpose of the "rule" or code is to prevent falls in case of breakage. So, it must be 12" from the top of the decking. It may even be 18" in your area. You would need to check with a local building inspector or call your housing authority.

Thanks again. I'm pretty sure that it'll be less than 12" at the top of the decking.

Brando
05-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Wow..I'm impressed. It appears Phil does have talents other than giving good BJ's.

Brando
05-27-2005, 12:08 PM
His BJ skills are really on the decline. It's a good thing he makes a nice looking deck.

Sorry man..I got him used to handling something with girth. I'm sure your toothpick is a little slender now that I've broken him in.

teedubya
05-27-2005, 02:12 PM
Sorry man..I got him used to handling something with girth. I'm sure your toothpick is a little slender now that I've broken him in.

More Brando Gay jokes... heh. Dude, is that all you got in your joke reportaire?

ROFL

Brando
05-27-2005, 02:35 PM
More Brando Gay jokes... heh. Dude, is that all you got in your joke reportaire?

ROFL

Does the thought of Phil and I sharing a sloppy embrace really offend you that much? Geethus.

Skip Towne
05-27-2005, 02:38 PM
Is that because the atmosphere is thinner above 12"?

pink
05-27-2005, 02:55 PM
Does the thought of Phil and I sharing a sloppy embrace really offend you that much? Geethus.
dude, you need a woman. like bad.

KCWolfman
05-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Is it appropriate for you to be hitting on guys like this while your husband is out of town?

pink
05-27-2005, 04:54 PM
Is it appropriate for you to be hitting on guys like this while your husband is out of town?
you must have misunderstood. he'd have to start a lot slower. all this woman so soon after his breakup and he'd be ruined for life. ;)

KCWolfman
05-27-2005, 05:17 PM
you must have misunderstood. he'd have to start a lot slower. all this woman so soon after his breakup and he'd be ruined for life. ;)
LOL - true dat

Logical
05-27-2005, 06:01 PM

I will only say that if you don't watch out Mr. Kotter will be determined to out you.

Bob Dole
05-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Where are today's updates?

Bob Dole
05-28-2005, 05:57 PM
It's really hot out, and the deck's still not done.

You need more contractors.

Bowser
05-28-2005, 09:15 PM
This just dawned on me. Damned mod abuse......

Skip Towne
05-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Really hot, huh? It's real nice here, 76° and sunny.

morphius
05-29-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a B-i-L n phoenix who might be able to use some hours, I know he does construction work and had done some work on houses a while back. LOL!

morphius
05-29-2005, 05:19 PM
Huh?
Bowsers been drinking again. Nothing to see here, now move along!

Skip Towne
05-30-2005, 11:05 AM
I have a B-i-L n phoenix who might be able to use some hours, I know he does construction work and had done some work on houses a while back. LOL!
Is he a "bargain worker"?

Bob Dole
05-30-2005, 12:28 PM
Bob Dole is wondering why some guy named Elwayne is answering Phil's cell phone.

Jenson71
05-30-2005, 02:04 PM
I must say, I'm extremely proud of myself. I'm tearing down my deck cause we're building a patio. I grind up these screws with the power screw driver and so the reg. ones won't work either. I decided to use a hammer and pull up while twisting at the same time. Worked like a charm, screws came right out. I'm a genius.

Fire Me Boy!
05-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by ENDelt260

You need more contractors.
Try this; "It's really ho'ut," an'the deck's stilln't done."

That work fo you?

Shit.... that's contractIONS... nevermind. :sulk:

AustinChief
05-30-2005, 03:16 PM
... if I thought I could've gotten away with it ...

Couldn't find the wide angle lens?

Phobia
05-30-2005, 04:54 PM
Couldn't find the wide angle lens?

She actually was hot. Brutally hot. Nice rack and no jiggles. She may have had an eyesight problem because not only was her fiance as husky as myself, he was also half bald.

KCWolfman
05-30-2005, 06:13 PM
She actually was hot. Brutally hot. Nice rack and no jiggles. She may have had an eyesight problem because not only was her fiance as husky as myself, he was also half bald.
Tongue length is in direct correlation with the maintaining of a relationship more than looks from the male side.

Phobia
05-30-2005, 08:17 PM
Tongue length is in direct correlation with the maintaining of a relationship more than looks from the male side.

Russ, I don't know why you felt compelled to respond to that. Obviously, Beth has eye problems as well.

pink
05-30-2005, 09:43 PM
since when do you care about eyesight dude? i'm thinking you should have at least been neighborly and asked to borrow her phone so you could call your wife and ask her if she would come get your sorry ass cuz you seem to have misplaced the truck while you were in mexico starin' at the local tiddies.

KC Dan
05-30-2005, 11:09 PM
since when do you care about eyesight dude? i'm thinking you should have at least been neighborly and asked to borrow her phone so you could call your wife and ask her if she would come get your sorry ass cuz you seem to have misplaced the truck while you were in mexico starin' at the local tiddies.
Truly Classic, Pink!!!

btw, boyz, I am in town - Brian you have the number, check your smokes

Pants
05-31-2005, 12:13 AM

OWNED.

teedubya
05-31-2005, 02:35 AM
what a great thread...

Mr. Kotter
05-31-2005, 12:34 PM
I will only say that if you don't watch out Mr. Kotter will be determined to out you.

You must have missed his outing back in January. That's why his "girlfriend" dumped him.

FWIW, the deck looks like it's gonna be great; sorry about the bumps along the way, Phil...and Brian.

Amnorix
05-31-2005, 02:30 PM
Great thread. Looks like the deck is coming along great.

I wish Boston was closer to KC. I could use some good work done (want my basement finished and have a few other projects), and getting a good, reliable contractor is a helluva challenge.

pink
05-31-2005, 07:51 PM

I wish Boston was closer to KC. I could use some good work done (want my basement finished and have a few other projects), and getting a good, reliable contractor is a helluva challenge.
you don't live near the mexican border do you? and how's the security at your place?

Skip Towne
05-31-2005, 08:35 PM

I'd sure give Phil a chance at it. Especially if you supply the beer. His wife only has half a brain so she wouldn't be a problem.

Nzoner
05-31-2005, 08:38 PM
he was also half bald.

I'm surprised you didn't let him know.

Manila-Chief
05-31-2005, 09:24 PM

Skip, quite the contrary. I think Pink has a lot more intelligence than we think. The only thing that questions her intelligence is her marr.................

Pink, I hear Phil saying admiringly great and wonderful things about you but something tells me you are all of that but you are also more up to date on how things happen than he wants to let us in on???? BTW ..Your post was classic! I got a great laugh out of it. Kinda neat how you are funny and serious at the same time!!!!!!!!

Phobia
05-31-2005, 09:26 PM
I'm surprised you didn't let him know.

I didn't tell him, but I did tell some other kid (mid to late 20's) that he needed to stop hiding his MPB and roll with it. He told me he knew he was going bald and that he had embraced it. I asked why he was attempting (badly) to hide it then. He asked me to remove my hat so I did. Heh. He was none too happy. My bald friend (new acquaintance) bought him a shot of Petron. The bald bastard was too pussy to drink it. After it sat in front of him for 5 minutes, I downed it.

I guess that's the end of that story.

pink
05-31-2005, 10:50 PM
Skip, quite the contrary. I think Pink has a lot more intelligence than we think. The only thing that questions her intelligence is her marr.................

than "we think" ?? hmmm lol... but in skip's defense, he pulled that from another thread where i set myself up -- big time. no worries.

Pink, I hear Phil saying admiringly great and wonderful things about you but something tells me you are all of that but you are also more up to date on how things happen than he wants to let us in on????

yes, and your point? ;) as for phil... he knows who's boss.

BTW ..Your post was classic! I got a great laugh out of it. Kinda neat how you are funny and serious at the same time!!!!!!!!

yes, i'm seriously funny. seriously.

Manila-Chief
05-31-2005, 11:49 PM
and my point is that he knows that you know!!!!

Lzen
06-01-2005, 07:52 AM
So, you got any more deck pics? Or did they steal your camera, too?

Over-Head
06-01-2005, 09:50 AM
I just read this entire thread, and can honestly say WOW!
Phibia, your defiantly a skilled craftsman.

Many is the time I’m in doing high end interior refinishing reno’s on $500,000 homes and literally watched the external reno’s like you’ve done go sour real fast.
This is incredible work IMO.
The lumber pattern really gives it a “desert” type look, and the use of the lattes gives the appearance of cut off from the main door thus creating more of a separate room, as opposed to “just a deck”.

And I’ll bet I can safely say the pic’s don’t do it justice.
Not too shabby a reno to have on your resume’ sir. Not shabby at all!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

teedubya
06-01-2005, 08:00 PM

Pink, I hear Phil saying admiringly great and wonderful things about you but something tells me you are all of that but you are also more up to date on how things happen than he wants to let us in on???? BTW ..Your post was classic! I got a great laugh out of it. Kinda neat how you are funny and serious at the same time!!!!!!!!

Yeah, Pink is definately the brains running the show. Belee Dat! :)

Bowser
06-01-2005, 08:49 PM
This deck job has turned into the movie The Money Pit.

"How long until you guys are done?"

"Two weeks."

Hammock Parties
06-01-2005, 09:12 PM
Ok... I lied. I'll post a new pic.

The outdoor kitching is coming along nicely.

That's really badass.

Donger
06-01-2005, 09:45 PM
I've never seen a deck like that. Are those alternating 2x6s and 2x4s?

Logical
06-01-2005, 09:50 PM
Ok... I lied. I'll post a new pic.

The outdoor kitching is coming along nicely.

Looking good, are you going to have the Stucco redone?

Phobia
06-01-2005, 10:10 PM
I've never seen a deck like that. Are those alternating 2x6s and 2x4s?

Yeah. Unique, huh?

Phobia
06-01-2005, 10:14 PM
Looking good, are you going to have the Stucco redone?

It's nearly finished. We redid that entire wall. Just have to put a final coat on it.

Donger
06-01-2005, 10:41 PM
Yeah. Unique, huh?

Yes. Very nice.

jspchief
06-01-2005, 10:43 PM
What type of wood is that? If it's cedar, what did you use to get the grain to pop like that?

Logical
06-01-2005, 10:46 PM
It's nearly finished. We redid that entire wall. Just have to put a final coat on it.

Most of the wall looks done, except on the left next to the cabinet just below the grill.

Phobia
06-01-2005, 11:03 PM
Most of the wall looks done, except on the left next to the cabinet just below the grill.

Oh - that will be covered by tile anyway. The grey you see is where some tile thinset slopped off the trowel. We need to touch up the color all over that wall anyway.

Phobia
06-01-2005, 11:04 PM
What type of wood is that? If it's cedar, what did you use to get the grain to pop like that?

No cedar in this part of the country. Redwood is comparably priced and I used a Sherman Williams redwood toner on it. Sprayed it. It really did pop nicely, didn't it?

Phobia
06-01-2005, 11:06 PM
FWIW, the entire deck in that picture slopes a little over a 1/4" per foot (including the counter), but the grill and the stainless doors are level. Which is why it looks a little goofy at the moment. I think the tile I'll be bookending the doors with will clean that "off-kilter" look up a bit.

jspchief
06-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Hey Phil, quick hi-jack.

I replaced the wrought iron on my front porch with cedar, and we originally planned to wait and paint it with the house. Since then, we've decided we would rather stain/treat it, and keep a more natural look.

Parts of it have weathered more because they are exposed to rain. When we stain it, is there a stain that will make the grey stuff and the non-weathered stuff the same color?

Any other suggestions on products to use?

Phobia
06-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey Phil, quick hi-jack.

I replaced the wrought iron on my front porch with cedar, and we originally planned to wait and paint it with the house. Since then, we've decided we would rather stain/treat it, and keep a more natural look.

Parts of it have weathered more because they are exposed to rain. When we stain it, is there a stain that will make the grey stuff and the non-weathered stuff the same color?

Any other suggestions on products to use?

You can either powerwash the grey away and wait for a few dry days before staining or you can use a baking soda/water mixture to artificially age the newer cedar to match the weathered cedar. I don't know of a product that will overpower the weathered look unless it's a surface stain.

PastorMikH
06-02-2005, 07:44 AM
I just read this entire thread, and can honestly say WOW!
Phibia, your defiantly a skilled craftsman.

Many is the time I’m in doing high end interior refinishing reno’s on $500,000 homes and literally watched the external reno’s like you’ve done go sour real fast.
This is incredible work IMO.
The lumber pattern really gives it a “desert” type look, and the use of the lattes gives the appearance of cut off from the main door thus creating more of a separate room, as opposed to “just a deck”.

And I’ll bet I can safely say the pic’s don’t do it justice.
Not too shabby a reno to have on your resume’ sir. Not shabby at all!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Geeesh! If you want to suck up that bad, how about just dropping the losers you're rooting for and start wearing Red & Gold?

Lzen
06-02-2005, 08:24 AM
This deck is freakin' sweeeeeeett!!!!!!1

Brando
06-02-2005, 12:25 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Sounds like Phil is getting spanked when he gets home. LUCKY!

Baby Lee
06-02-2005, 12:31 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

ROFL - from theonion

Entire Napoleon Dynamite Plot Pieced Together Through Friends' Quotes
AUSTIN, TX—Although he has never seen the 2004 indie hit Napoleon Dynamite, Michael Osman, 23, has cobbled together its entire plot via his friends' endless quoting of the film. "Well, Napoleon's brother said, 'Don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day,' and then got a visit from his Internet girlfriend," Osman said. "Then Napoleon told his Uncle Rico that he could make 120 bucks 'in like five seconds,' and went to work on a chicken farm. Then Napoleon gave Trisha a drawing, said, 'It took me like three hours to finish the shading on your upper lip,' and asked her to the dance." Osman added that he has a pretty good idea what a liger looks like.

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 07:56 PM
Phil decided my fireplace needed to be painted.

Dude you should be ashamed you spent so much money on your deck and thats the TV you watch the Chiefs on :shake:

Hammock Parties
06-02-2005, 07:58 PM
Dude you should be ashamed you spent so much money on your deck and thats the TV you watch the Chiefs on :shake:

Pretty sure he goes to the bar for KC games.

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 08:04 PM
Pretty sure he goes to the bar for KC games.

lighten up francis

DenverChief
06-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I think my new deck is way cooler than a big screen.

Me too :sulk:

speaking of is it done already or is phil really not coming home yet?

pink
06-02-2005, 10:54 PM
I think my new deck is way cooler than a big screen.
i think every guy's deck should be bigger than their tv screen

pink
06-02-2005, 11:13 PM
ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Logical
06-03-2005, 12:51 AM
i think every guy's deck should be bigger than their tv screen:eek: LOL

Hammock Parties
06-03-2005, 03:11 AM
2) While Phil slaves away on my deck.

Note: this pics are real time. Phil's doing tile work at 1am right now.

ROFL

"**** shit got my ****ing truck stolen and ****ing doing this shit at 1 am ****!"

Lzen
06-03-2005, 10:37 AM
i think every guy's deck should be bigger than their tv screen

Pardon? You did say deck, didn't you?

Lzen
06-03-2005, 10:37 AM
2) While Phil slaves away on my deck.

Note: this pics are real time. Phil's doing tile work at 1am right now.

Wow, you're a real slave master. :shake:

Mile High Mania
06-04-2005, 03:36 PM
That looks really nice.

Saulbadguy
06-04-2005, 04:31 PM
Did you let Phil enjoy the fruits of his labor? I hope not.

Hammock Parties
06-04-2005, 07:06 PM
That hammock is f*cking awesome. Is it rated for about 500 lbs? :D

Jenson71
06-04-2005, 09:00 PM
That's really nice. I wish I had a getup like that. Something I'll have to remember for later. Have fun.

Lzen
06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
I suck at photography

Agreed.

But you guy a sweet deck. :thumb: Nice job, Phil.

Skip Towne
06-04-2005, 09:20 PM
Man, that deck looks great!!. Phil is truly an "artiste". Must've got it from FDE. Really, it went from looking like a tenement to a penthouse. I'll bet all your neighbors are jealous.

Brando
06-04-2005, 10:03 PM
You should certainly be able to harpoon some whales up there bro!
In all seriousness...looks kick ass. Phil did some great work.

Logical
06-05-2005, 02:22 AM
I especially like the grill and counter. I think the three levels given your proclivity for drunkeness, though it looks great, could be dangerous as hell.

Nice work by Phil and I think Endo made a smart investment of his money.

Logical
06-05-2005, 02:25 AM
F*ck yeah, they are.

Playing with the camera some... here's an attempt at some night shots.

.picture 221This one is good 232 is IMO the best night shot.

HemiEd
06-05-2005, 04:00 AM
F*ck yeah, they are.

This picture could qualify for the Sales Brochure to the Condo community. Great Job on the Deck, very nice.

Bowser
06-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Where the hell do you live? Melrose Place?

Outstanding job, Phil! I'm quite jealous!

Bowser
06-05-2005, 10:19 AM
Upon further review, I have decided I want to be 25 again, single, and have a place like this.

I for one expect you to put that digi camera to good use at all the right times. Please have no less than five full memory sticks with you at the ChiefsPlanet gathering. I'll make sure and get you some Natty Light. :D

Over-Head
06-05-2005, 11:28 AM
and gives my living room a pretty reddish glow.

Why End, I didn't know you had a soft side? ROFL

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 03:00 PM
So, does it ever rain? Would that be a problem for the hammock?

Also, what is the point of having the two levels? Creativity? It's not bad, I'm just wondering.

Phobia
06-05-2005, 03:08 PM
So, does it ever rain? Would that be a problem for the hammock?

Also, what is the point of having the two levels? Creativity? It's not bad, I'm just wondering.

The level next to the bar is raised. That serves 2 purposes:

1. It makes the height of the bar more comfortable.
2. It allows individuals under 6'4" to see the pool on the lower level. The entire bar overlooks the pool - which was kinda the point of putting the bar (and raised deck) there.

The hammock is designed to be outdoor furniture. It is resistent to rain and the resulting mildew. This is not your grandfather's canvas hammock.

Jenson71
06-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Awesome. Well done. :toast:

Mr. Kotter
06-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Looks very nice, gentlemen. :clap:

I hope you got paid up front for your efforts though, Phil. I suspect Brian's "entertainment" budget for the summer will crimp his cash flow... :p

Phobia
06-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks y'all. You guys are too kind. It was a rewarding project. I get to have the pictures and hopefully land similar, more lucrative projects in the future based upon the evidence. The thing isn't perfect, but it's pretty darn good for my first effort at a functional outdoor living space. I've done many decks, but function is generally left to the imagination of the homeowner after I've gone.

I'm particularly proud of the design elements. I had a lot of fun doing it and I know Brian is going to have fun enjoying the space for a long time and then he'll enjoy the fat check from the increased resell value, too. Heh.

That's fat "check", not fat "chick".

Logical
06-05-2005, 05:16 PM
The pattern must be playing tricks on your eyes. There's only two levels.

I guess so, I guess what I thought was the third level was actually a decorative seam. Here is the picture that deceived me.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=42666

Again I think you chose wisely with this investment.

Skip Towne
06-05-2005, 06:20 PM
Yeah, Endelt is definately a two level drunk. It takes years of experience to become a three level drunk.

Phobia
06-05-2005, 07:09 PM
I guess so, I guess what I thought was the third level was actually a decorative seam. Here is the picture that deceived me.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=42666

Again I think you chose wisely with this investment.

Well, in your defense - the "level" on the far left had an additional coat of sealant applied a couple hours before that photo was taken. The level in the middle had had several days of AZ sun beating on it, so that's what you're picking up. In a couple days they'll both look very similar.

Pants
06-05-2005, 07:12 PM
Well, in your defense - the "level" on the far left had an additional coat of sealant applied a couple hours before that photo was taken. The level in the middle had had several days of AZ sun beating on it, so that's what you're picking up. In a couple days they'll both look very similar.

Damn, can I have your skills please?

Phobia
06-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Can you have my skills? Heh. I don't think I'm really all that skilled, to be honest. I have the best tools money can buy. That makes a big difference, believe it or not.

Pants
06-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Can you have my skills? Heh. I don't think I'm really all that skilled, to be honest. I have the best tools money can buy. That makes a big difference, believe it or not.

Dude, I can have the best tools in the world and fifty mexicans and I still wouldn't be able to do shit.

Skip Towne
06-05-2005, 08:13 PM
I noticed you use DeWalt products. That was my first tipoff you knew what you were doing.

Hammock Parties
06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
When did you decide to get into home upgrades and etc, Phobia?

Phobia
06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
When did you decide to get into home upgrades and etc, Phobia?

I dunno - about 3 years ago. It was after I couldn't find any more IT related projects in Houston.

Phobia
06-06-2005, 12:24 PM
I was just showing a family friend these pics. They're really good. I didn't realize how good this project turned out until just a few minutes ago. Maybe I was too tired previously.

At any rate, I'm moving this to the main forum for a while - just in case somebody wants a kickass project done on their house. Heh.

Skip Towne
06-06-2005, 12:43 PM
I dunno - about 3 years ago. It was after I couldn't find any more IT related projects in Houston.
How did you learn to do that stuff? That is artistic chit. Does your dad do that kind of thing? Any good stories on him?

Spicy McHaggis
06-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Looks great Phil and Delt, good work. Makes me want to kick back myself and grill. You've motivated me now to go out by the pool rather than mow the lawn like I was going to. I thank you.

Goapics1
06-06-2005, 01:41 PM
The deck looks outstanding fellas.

cadmonkey
06-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I was just showing a family friend these pics. They're really good. I didn't realize how good this project turned out until just a few minutes ago. Maybe I was too tired previously.

or maybe you were just trying to get the hell out of ENDelts house as fast as you could

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2005, 02:53 PM
...At any rate, I'm moving this to the main forum for a while - just in case somebody wants a kickass project done on their house. Heh.

I don't know; that may qualify as "spamming" right?

:spock:

Ah, crap....never mind; you own half the place now; carry on.... :p

Fairplay
06-06-2005, 05:19 PM
I hope you got paid up front for your efforts though, Phil.

ENdelt told me he was going to pull a JOhn on Phobia.

Mr. Kotter
06-06-2005, 05:48 PM
Phil had the final check in his hand before he left town.

Course, he probably lost it 5 minutes later.

No, no...but he was robbed and "assaulted" in the back of his new pickup, at a reststop en route home....

Phobia
06-06-2005, 06:39 PM
How did you learn to do that stuff? That is artistic chit. Does your dad do that kind of thing? Any good stories on him?

My dad fixes toilets and replaces light fixtures for a living. He's what you might call a "handyman".

I'm unsure how I "learned" how to do this stuff. I spend copious amounts of time researching projects like this one. I subscribe to periodicals, I watch building related shows, and I buy picture books. The rest of it just comes naturally because I'm a very particular, high maintenance person. That doesn't translate well to my checkbook, but it helps me design and build pretty things.

pink
06-07-2005, 09:30 AM
...I buy picture books.
yeah, but the cat in the hat doesn't count, dude.

J Diddy
06-07-2005, 09:55 AM
yeah, but the cat in the hat doesn't count, dude.

um

That's the greatest book ever.

Mile High Mania
06-07-2005, 10:05 AM
My dad fixes toilets...

So do I, but it's only because they haven't created a "facility" that can surpass my quality control testing.

Thig Lyfe
06-07-2005, 10:14 AM
F*ck yeah, they are.

The picture on 238 is fantastic.

Bob Dole
06-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Bob Dole is too lazy to read through all this shit.

What's the link to ENDelt's Deckcam?

Jenny Gump
06-07-2005, 12:14 PM
I suck at photography

That can't be your foot. It doesn't have a ghey shoe attached.

Jenny Gump
06-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Oh...there they are.

yeti
06-07-2005, 01:43 PM
I can't believe that I just went through this entire thread looking at the deck transform, but I couldn't stop. Good job! I used to live in the desert and that deck will be sweet to hang out on at night and grill.

pink
06-08-2005, 08:44 AM
um

That's the greatest book ever.
true.

Brando
06-08-2005, 08:55 AM
When are you going to start posting glamour shots of you on the deck. You know..you with your fist under your chin looking up. Maybe a nice shot of you in a kimona?

Monkeylook4food
05-31-2006, 01:47 PM
This thread is awesome. I just finished a small addition for Brando's girlfriend that turned out well. Maybe I'll post pictures one day.

Mr. Kotter
06-02-2006, 12:44 AM
If I bump this, will it land in the Lounge? :hmmm:

Stinger
06-02-2006, 06:54 PM
This thread is awesome. I just finished a small addition for Brando's girlfriend that turned out well. Maybe I'll post pictures one day.

More importantly did you lose any vehicles this time?

Monkeylook4food
06-02-2006, 11:02 PM
More importantly did you lose any vehicles this time?
I just bought a Toyota mini-van. Does that count for anything?

Bowser
07-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I just bought a Toyota mini-van. Does that count for anything?

It just means you've officially lost 3/4ths of your testosterone.