PDA

View Full Version : Mechanics - Need help on the rear drum brakes on a 1998 Pontiac Transport

Lzen
07-04-2005, 05:35 PM
I've been told that the hub should just pull off after I remover the wheel. Also, tap it all the way around with a hammer should help break it loose. Well, I've done this to no avail. Is there some special trick to this? Any suggestions? I can't get that hub off.

go bo
07-04-2005, 05:44 PM
well, it is the 4th of july, so there should be lots of explosives laying about...

4th and Long
07-04-2005, 05:47 PM
well, it is the 4th of july, so there should be lots of explosives laying about...
ROFL

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Is your parking brake set?

BigMeatballDave
07-04-2005, 06:37 PM
Is your parking brake set?I'm asking this because I've known people who've actually tried to pull off the drum with the brake engaged...

Phobia
07-04-2005, 07:25 PM
I'm asking this because I've known people who've actually tried to pull off the drum with the brake engaged...

Laz is WAY smarter than that.

Skip Towne
07-04-2005, 08:55 PM
I'll bet it's rusted. Shoot the "12 o'clock" lugbolts liberally with WD-40. Then rotate 180° and do the same. Use lots of WD-40. Let it sit overnight then use a 3# hammer and a block of wood to knock it loose.

Lzen
07-05-2005, 07:16 AM
Parking brake, eh? What's that?

j/k No, it's not set. I'm smarter than that. ;)

Skip, that sounds like a good idea. Thanks, I'll try that. Just wasn't sure if there was some trick to getting it loose or if it was just corroded together.

HemiEd
07-05-2005, 07:39 AM
You need to back off the adjuster from the back side of the backing plate with an adjusting tool. These have self adjusting brakes and need to be loose.

Lzen
07-05-2005, 08:06 AM
You need to back off the adjuster from the back side of the backing plate with an adjusting tool. These have self adjusting brakes and need to be loose.

Eh, how do you do that? I felt back there and there is a small rubber cap on something. Would that be the adjuster? Is it just a bolt or something?

HemiEd
07-05-2005, 08:09 AM
Eh, how do you do that? I felt back there and there is a small rubber cap on something. Would that be the adjuster? Is it just a bolt or something?

You pull the rubber plug out. It is intended to keep water out. Then you can shine your light in there and see the adjuster wheel. It has little teeth on it. Look at the threads to determine which direction to go. You can use a screw driver but a tool is only a couple bucks at the parts store.

Edit: you want to make the adjuster shorter, thus bringing the shoes in.

Lzen
07-05-2005, 08:37 AM
You pull the rubber plug out. It is intended to keep water out. Then you can shine your light in there and see the adjuster wheel. It has little teeth on it. Look at the threads to determine which direction to go. You can use a screw driver but a tool is only a couple bucks at the parts store.

Edit: you want to make the adjuster shorter, thus bringing the shoes in.

Thank you very much. I'll try that.