PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here ever programmed a plc?

chop
07-05-2005, 11:15 AM
I was just curious to see if there were any plc programmers in the house. If there are, what types of jobs have you done?

andoman
07-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Not really. We have two flat bed routers where I work that use OpenCNC. I did not set them up, but have done some customization on them.

Donger
07-05-2005, 05:11 PM
PLC as in a programmable logic controller?

Ninjaman
07-05-2005, 05:43 PM
http://www.plcs.net/contents.shtml

ExtremeChief
07-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Allen Bradley using RS Logix/Linx (Ladder Logic)

Some seimens using Step 5 (statement list)

Some micrologix

Used for controlling machines, conveyors, etc

Electric
07-05-2005, 06:36 PM
I have and do program PLC's.

I've done all PLC-5's, SLC-500's through the 5/05, MicroLogix 1000 and 1500.

PLC-2's (ancient history)

A couple of Siemens and some Gould Modicons.

Most of my experience is in material handling, temperature control, pressure control, boiler control and automotive assembly machines.

If you can build a machine that works, I can program it to run.

I also integrate HMI Graphics. InTouch, Panel Views and RSView. Some work with Intellution "The Fix".

chop
07-05-2005, 06:54 PM
PLC as in a programmable logic controller?

You are correct sir.

Electric
07-05-2005, 06:55 PM
I was just curious to see if there were any plc programmers in the house. If there are, what types of jobs have you done?

Are you a programmer? What industry?

chop
07-05-2005, 06:56 PM
I have and do program PLC's.

I've done all PLC-5's, SLC-500's through the 5/05, MicroLogix 1000 and 1500.

PLC-2's (ancient history)

A couple of Siemens and some Gould Modicons.

Most of my experience is in material handling, temperature control, pressure control, boiler control and automotive assembly machines.

If you can build a machine that works, I can program it to run.

I also integrate HMI Graphics. InTouch, Panel Views and RSView. Some work with Intellution "The Fix".

So you haven't used the contrologix platform yet?

Do you work for an OEM or end user?

chop
07-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Are you a programmer? What industry?

I live in the Detroit area so I work in the auto industry. Yes I have programmed various plc's myself.

Electric
07-05-2005, 06:59 PM
I live in the Detroit area so I work in the auto industry. Yes I have programmed various plc's myself.

Have you written programs from the ground up?

Have you ever heard of spagetti logic? I just left a plant that had 90% of the machines programmed that way. Trouble shooting was really tough. The worst part of it all was that the guy that wrote the programs used one shots for every input and had the complete ladder in one program file. When you have 2000+ rungs it becomes a nightmare to find anything.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Right now I'm providing support to OEM's on a job that will end up in a Chrysler plant.

dtebbe
07-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I always wanted to try using one for automation in Radio & Television, but never could really find one that had an accurate real time clock that could be referenced in the program. In broadcast you need to reference the clock quite a bit for "hard breaks", but most of the time you need just the type of functions that a PLC provides. Timing is critical on the hard breaks, however, you have to be within .1 - .5 of a second at the network level, which pretty much required a GPS-locked clock.

DT

Electric
07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
So you haven't used the contrologix platform yet?

Do you work for an OEM or end user?

Both, I work for an engineering house. We contract with plants that need operational help as well as engineering plants from inception to startup.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:01 PM
Have you written programs from the ground up?

Have you ever heard of spagetti logic? I just left a plant that had 90% of the machines programmed that way. Trouble shooting was really tough. The worst part of it all was that the guy that wrote the programs used one shots for every input and had the complete ladder in one program file. When you have 2000+ rungs it becomes a nightmare to find anything.

Yes I have and Yes I have seen spaghetti logic. Those are always fun to try to debug.

Electric
07-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I always wanted to try using one for automation in Radio & Television, but never could really find one that had an accurate real time clock that could be referenced in the program. In broadcast you need to reference the clock quite a bit for "hard breaks", but most of the time you need just the type of functions that a PLC provides. Timing is critical on the hard breaks, however, you have to be within .1 - .5 of a second at the network level, which pretty much required a GPS-locked clock.

DT

You can access a real time clock in the AB PLC's. Use the status words. The only shortcoming is that you have to write your own code for DST.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:03 PM
So what software do you prefer to use?

chop
07-05-2005, 07:07 PM
The timer base in contrologix processors is one msec.

Electric
07-05-2005, 07:10 PM
So what software do you prefer to use?
I've used the old AB 6200, ICOM (pos), the AB version of ICOM - AI, and RSLogix5 and RSLogix500. I've opened the RSLogix5000, but didn't have any programs that were pre-built so I could self teach a little easier.

The 5.51 release of RSLogix5 seems to work well.

Have you ever used SFC's?

chop
07-05-2005, 07:14 PM
I've used the old AB 6200, ICOM (pos), the AB version of ICOM - AI, and RSLogix5 and RSLogix500. I've opened the RSLogix5000, but didn't have any programs that were pre-built so I could self teach a little easier.

Flow charts. Actually yes I have.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:17 PM
AB has a new software out called Enterprise controls.

It uses a form of flow chart programming.

Electric
07-05-2005, 07:20 PM
Flow charts. Actually yes I have.

SFC's were Sequential Function Charts. It's kind of like a flow chart but seemed to be somewhat difficult to ensure that your scan would not stop in the middle of the program.

I've seen a little of the Enterprise system, but most of it was associated with RSLinx and RSView.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:32 PM
SFC's were Sequential Function Charts. It's kind of like a flow chart but seemed to be somewhat difficult to ensure that your scan would not stop in the middle of the program.

I've seen a little of the Enterprise system, but most of it was associated with RSLinx and RSView.

RSEnterprise controls is a programming tool that allows the end user to have standard logic routines. Different programmers have various ranges in experience and skill which results in various ways to write logic for a machine . This software helps to make sure that all logic is exactly the same every time (no more spaghetti programs).

chop
07-05-2005, 07:43 PM

If you would like a program to look at and learn from, I could probably arrange that for you. It is different than RSlogix 5 and 500.

Electric
07-05-2005, 07:51 PM
RSEnterprise controls is a programming tool that allows the end user to have standard logic routines. Different programmers have various ranges in experience and skill which results in various ways to write logic for a machine . This software helps to make sure that all logic is exactly the same every time (no more spaghetti programs).
That's probably good, but will it make programmers less inventive?

It actually sounds like they are using the basics for windows programs. Pre-built components that everyone uses for programming. I would guess that the programmer would still have the freedom to create his own routines for specific applications.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:53 PM
That's probably good, but will it make programmers less inventive?

It's better for the end user.

chop
07-05-2005, 07:57 PM
I would guess that the programmer would still have the freedom to create his own routines for specific applications.

The person/persons in charge of the library create all of the routines. The person using the library creates flow charts.

Electric
07-05-2005, 07:59 PM
The person/persons in charge of the library create all of the routines. The person using the library creates flow charts.

We will have to continue this later, I've got to leave for a while. I'm helping a neighbor clean gutters while it's cool.

chop
07-05-2005, 08:06 PM
We will have to continue this later, I've got to leave for a while. I'm helping a neighbor clean gutters while it's cool.

Later

chop
07-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Last time someone asked me that question he was trying to grow shrooms.

I'm trying to figure out the connection? :hmmm:

Donger
07-05-2005, 08:12 PM
Whoa. SCADA geek thread.

chop
07-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, I guess it's obvious you never helped my buddy grow shrooms.

I can say that this is a true statement.

Still looking for the connection. Help me to understand,

Donger
07-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I can say that this is a true statement.

Still looking for the connection. Help me to understand,

If I had to guess...

Endelt's shroom growing buddy probably wanted an automated way of helping grow the shrooms. A PLC could help with that (watering, feeding, et al).

chop
07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
If I had to guess...

Endelt's shroom growing buddy probably wanted an automated way of helping grow the shrooms. A PLC could help with that (watering, feeding, et al).

So I guess I found his friend. ROFL

Simplex3
07-05-2005, 11:45 PM
I used to have to fight with PLCs that sat between my computer software and the physical world. God I hate ladder logic. :shake:

chop
07-06-2005, 07:57 AM
I used to have to fight with PLCs that sat between my computer software and the physical world. God I hate ladder logic. :shake:

What plc's did you use?

Otter
07-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Last time someone asked me that question he was trying to grow shrooms.

Brown rice flower, vermiculite, canning jars, inject with spores...

Ahhh, college.

chop
07-06-2005, 11:42 AM
chop, the aquarium needed to be at a particular temp & humidity, and have a certain amount of light per day. Somehow my buddy had stumbled on a PLC and wanted to know if I could program it to control the light and humidifier.

Did he have all of the other equipment needed to automate the process?

By the way, I wouldn't have guessed you were into drugs based on the high school picture you posted here the other day.

Simplex3
07-06-2005, 12:25 PM
What plc's did you use?
Mostly Idec and some Omron

chop
07-06-2005, 02:14 PM
Mostly Idec and some Omron

That's your problem you should have used AB processors.

I have used omron in the past but I haven't used Idec.