PDA

View Full Version : Does your state you live in have a min. speeding fine ?

ROYC75
07-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Damn, Kentucky is try'n to crack down on speeders and last week implimented a Min. $ 100 fine. :shake:

The state here has been piss poor broke for sometime and me thinks they are cracking down for 2 reasons instread of one as mentioned.

ROYC75
07-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Does anybody think $ 100.00 is kinda stiff to start off with ?

Brock
07-05-2005, 01:50 PM
No, I don't think it's excessive at all. In fact, I think your employer should be notified as well, as he may want to fire you for it.

jspchief
07-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Does anybody think $ 100.00 is kinda stiff to start off with ?Is the speed limit 70? Or did they just raise it?

A lot of states are taking on a zero tolerance policy towards speeding, since raising the limit to 70. Their reasoning is "we gave you an extra 5 mph, don't take ten". Of course that's only in relation to max speed limits.

I'd say $100 is pretty stiff for 35 in a 25 or something of that nature.

ROYC75
07-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Is the speed limit 70? Or did they just raise it?

A lot of states are taking on a zero tolerance policy towards speeding, since raising the limit to 70. Their reasoning is "we gave you an extra 5 mph, don't take ten". Of course that's only in relation to max speed limits.

I'd say $100 is pretty stiff for 35 in a 25 or something of that nature.

Anything that is 5 mph over , either in a 55 or a 65 zone........ it was mentioned that it was going to be no tolerance, anything over period. The public went nuts over it for $ 100.00 for 1 mph over / 0 tolerance.

Amnorix
07-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Massachusetts isn't that bad in some ways, but very bad in others.

The "minimum" fine is $50 plus a fee ("voluntary" contribution to some fund for those injured in auto accidents or somesuch) of like $15. That's for anything up to 10 MPH over the limit.

Reality is that Massachusetts cops, in general, are VERY reasonable and would never nail you for doing less than 10 MPH over the limit. The rule of thumb is more like 15. Much of the Eastern part of the state is 55 MPH on the highway, but many areas are 65, and doing 80 in the speed lane isn't rare at all.

Here's the thing, though, it's $10 for EACH MPH over the first 10. So your ticket, if you're bagged doing, say, 100 in a 55, would be a cool $415 or thereabouts. $50 for going up to 65, and then another $350 for the next 35 MPH past that. Then the $15 "voluntary contribution".

Still, I've driven all around the Northeast, and I'll take Massachusetts cops / State Troopers over those of any other state. Especially f'n Connecticut, where the State Troopers have a hardon for anyone with out of state plates doing more than the limit.

NH is also nice, cuz there's like 1 cop for every 100 miles of highway, if that. :)