PDA

View Full Version : Got my Athlon 64 chip, now I need a mobo! Recommendations?

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 11:43 AM
Title says it all. I'm pretty sure my ASUS A7V8X-X won't support the new chip:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X-X&langs=09

Not interested in going SLI or anything like that.

Pants
07-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Title says it all. I'm pretty sure my ASUS A7V8X-X won't support the new chip:

http://usa.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7V8X-X&langs=09

Not interested in going SLI or anything like that.

Smart people buy combos - they are much cheaper and are synchronized. I'd return the processor and buy a combo. Also, this belongs in the Tech Forum.

Saulbadguy
07-07-2005, 01:50 PM
I like Abit motherboards.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 01:51 PM
I got a bargain on the chip....I'm saving more money than any combo I've seen online.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I like Abit motherboards.

That's nice. How about a link, bitch? I'm probably going to grab something from newegg. :)

Pants
07-07-2005, 01:52 PM
I got a bargain on the chip....I'm saving more money than any combo I've seen online.

Have fun clocking it on the new MB, heh.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 01:53 PM
Have fun clocking it on the new MB, heh.

You mean setting the FSB multiplier in the bios? That's hardly an inconvenience.

Pants
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
You mean setting the FSB multiplier in the bios? That's hardly an inconvenience.

It's an inconvenience when you set the frequency to what it should run at (not even talking about overclocking) and having your computer lock up.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 01:58 PM
It's an inconvenience when you set the frequency to what it should run at (not even talking about overclocking) and having your computer lock up.

Sounds like a personal problem. :D

I'm not into overclocking anyway.

ZootedGranny
07-07-2005, 02:07 PM
Combos are for suckers unless you're getting a cheap deal, and even a place like Monarch Computers isn't cutting combo prices much more than you can put together seperately from a place like Newegg. As long as you buy quality, you'll never have any compatibility problems.

Is your A64 socket 939 or 754?

If you're not overclocking, you can't really go wrong with something from ASUS, Abit, or even MSI or DFI. All you need to really check for is to make sure that you're not locking your videocard out, whether it be PCI-E or AGP.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 02:11 PM

ZootedGranny
07-07-2005, 02:38 PM
It depends how much you really want to save, but on both the 754 and 939 sockets, I've heard nothing but good things with the Lan Party series of boards from DFI, that run about $100.

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136147

If you want to go cheaper, I've also read good things about the Epox and Gigabyte 754 boards, which are around $60.

Honestly, since you're not overclocking, as long as you stay with any of the quality mobo makers, you should be good to go. A great source of information and hands on reviews can be found at the forums @ Hardocp. They specialize in overclocking, but you should be able to find a ton of posts on any board you're looking at.

http://www.hardforum.com/

dirk digler
07-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Combos are for suckers unless you're getting a cheap deal, and even a place like Monarch Computers isn't cutting combo prices much more than you can put together seperately from a place like Newegg. As long as you buy quality, you'll never have any compatibility problems.

Is your A64 socket 939 or 754?

If you're not overclocking, you can't really go wrong with something from ASUS, Abit, or even MSI or DFI. All you need to really check for is to make sure that you're not locking your videocard out, whether it be PCI-E or AGP.

I guess I am a sucker. I like combos. I looked at buying separately but I didn't find a much of a price difference. I can buy a combo with a
Asus K8V SE Deluxe Socket 754 ATX Motherboard with AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor and Ultra 512MB DDR Memory for $300. I don't think I can beat that buying the separately.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 02:57 PM
I'll be spending a little over $150 on my CPU and mobo purchased separately.

Fry's had a nice combo deal for 139.99 a few weeks ago but the motherboard was shite.

dirk digler
07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
I'll be spending a little over $150 on my CPU and mobo purchased separately.

Fry's had a nice combo deal for 139.99 a few weeks ago but the motherboard was shite.

Damn that is cheap.

Where did you get that at?

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Damn that is cheap.

Where did you get that at?

Well I sniped an Ebay auction for the CPU and I'll probably go newegg on my motherboard.

Fry's combo is still on their site but its 159.99. Like I said, bottom of the barrel motheboard:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4465546?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

dirk digler
07-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Well I sniped an Ebay auction for the CPU and I'll probably go newegg on my motherboard.

Fry's combo is still on their site but its 159.99. Like I said, bottom of the barrel motheboard:

http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4465546?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Thanks.

ZootedGranny
07-07-2005, 03:17 PM
Well, I say combos are for suckers in the sense that most store-sourced combos come with at least one piece of hardware that's either low quality or straight out junk, as evidenced by the Fry's deal Packfan mentioned. Most of the boards involved aren't worth the trouble.

And most online places, like the aforementioned Monarch Computers, make the deal seem better because they will test your system, or throw in some free software.

If you go to any reputable online store and buy a quality mobo and a processor, you're not going to have any problems.

dirk digler
07-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, I say combos are for suckers in the sense that most store-sourced combos come with at least one piece of hardware that's either low quality or straight out junk, as evidenced by the Fry's deal Packfan mentioned. Most of the boards involved aren't worth the trouble.

And most online places, like the aforementioned Monarch Computers, make the deal seem better because they will test your system, or throw in some free software.

If you go to any reputable online store and buy a quality mobo and a processor, you're not going to have any problems.

I am thinking getting the one I mentioned at TigerDirect.com. Monarch wanted around $400 for the exact same components.

My advice to newbies is that I think that if you are going to replace your motherboard/cpu or build you a new PC you really need to know what you are doing and what you are buying, and where you are buying it from.

I have read alot of reviews and research prior to doing everyone of my upgrades and this will be my fourth.

go bo
07-07-2005, 03:24 PM
I am thinking getting the one I mentioned at TigerDirect.com.i used to get things at tiger direct, but i started getting a bunch of defective parts and it was really a major hassle to get them replaced...

even worse, i started having troubles trying to collect rebates with them too...

finally, i tried newegg and i haven't gone back...

dirk digler
07-07-2005, 03:28 PM
i used to get things at tiger direct, but i started getting a bunch of defective parts and it was really a major hassle to get them replaced...

even worse, i started having troubles trying to collect rebates with them too...

finally, i tried newegg and i haven't gone back...

Thanks I will keep that in mind. I have never bought from TigerDirect before but I have from Newegg.

I have read about several complaints about TigerDirect so it makes me a little leery.

As of right now I haven't decided where I am going to purchase my upgrade at.

Imon Yourside
07-07-2005, 03:32 PM
send back the socket 754 and get a 939 chip and board. I would go with the Asus A8N, sparkling reviews and you will be ready for the new age of SATA2, Pci-express etc. I have a 754 board and i'm kicking myself for not going 939.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:33 PM
send back the socket 754 and get a 939 chip and board. I would go with the Asus A8N, sparkling reviews and you will be ready for the new age of SATA2, Pci-express etc. I have a 754 board and i'm kicking myself for not going 939.

No.

Imon Yourside
07-07-2005, 03:34 PM
No.

Then your a buttlog with legs. :)

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:35 PM
When I get a 939 chip somewhere down the line, I'll get a 939 board to go with it. I'm never on the cutting edge with hardware...that's just how I operate.

Do they even make a 939 board with AGP?

Imon Yourside
07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
When I get a 939 chip somewhere down the line, I'll get a 939 board to go with it. I'm never on the cutting edge with hardware...that's just how I operate.

Do they even make a 939 board with AGP?

yeah, but i was trying to get you to avoid agp because the next time you upgrade you will get hit with large costs, because you will have to buy board,chip, new memory, and new video card. Also Nvidia is not going to make agp on there next generation of video cards. Heres a link for the shop i go to http://www.hypertechcomputer.com/

check out the asus a8v-deluxe it has an agp slot. www.asus.com

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:43 PM
yeah, but i was trying to get you to avoid agp because the next time you upgrade you will get hit with large costs, because you will have to buy board,chip, new memory, and new video card. Also Nvidia is not going to make agp on there next generation of video cards. Heres a link for the shop i go to http://www.hypertechcomputer.com/

When I decide to upgrade that "large cost" will be $300 at the most.

Imon Yourside
07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
When I decide to upgrade that "large cost" will be $300 at the most.

I understand but it will probably take a while for a decent pci-express video card to come down. Hell my ati 9600xt is the same price I bought it for 2 years ago.

Mr. Laz
07-07-2005, 03:45 PM
Smart people buy combos - they are much cheaper and are synchronized
ROFL ROFL noob

so tell me, how are these combo's are "synchronized"?

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 03:45 PM
I understand but it will probably take a while for a decent pci-express video card to come down. Hell my ati 9600xt is the same price I bought it for 2 years ago.

What do you mean? Most of the high-end cards are PCI-E right now.

Imon Yourside
07-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Smart people buy combos - they are much cheaper and are synchronized. I'd return the processor and buy a combo.

I really have heard more uninformed nonsense in my life, but i can't remember when.

Packard-bell = the greatest most synchronized outfit ever, no really! ROFL

Imon Yourside
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
What do you mean? Most of the high-end cards are PCI-E right now.

I mean video cards are not dropping in price like they used too. So it may be 5 years before you can upgrade again because the industry is making us all upgrade more parts at one time.

Pants
07-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I really have heard more uninformed nonsense in my life, but i can't remember when.

I was just speaking from personal experience. Maybe it was a freak accident, like goat said.

dirk digler
07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
I was just speaking from personal experience. Maybe it was a freak accident, like goat said.

The last time I upgraded my PC I got a motherboard/cpu/memory combo and it worked great.

Don't let them think you are stupid.

Pants
07-07-2005, 03:57 PM
The last time I upgraded my PC I got a motherboard/cpu/memory combo and it worked great.

Don't let them think you are stupid.

Yeah, same here. When I got them separate, I had problems with my comp locking up so I had to go from 2.2 Ghz (I believe) to 1.7, I don't know why. When I got the combo everything was smooth. Just my limited experience.

P@ckfan
07-07-2005, 04:35 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131518R

I think I will be going with this one unless anyone objects.

ZootedGranny
07-07-2005, 05:38 PM
The one thing to watch for about refurb'ed mobos from Newegg is that the chances are you won't receive a backplate that normally comes with the mobo, and that may be a big pain in the ass.

If that ends up being the case, you might be able to email ASUS about getting one.