PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Chiefs still weak?

Electric
07-07-2005, 07:37 PM
I've seen some concern for the CB's over the past week, but I suspect that those concerns will we covered.

What more do we need to win the SB?

Deberg_1990
07-07-2005, 07:44 PM
IM still not 100% sold on Lawrence Tynes. Our kickoff coverage was pretty weak last year as well. Hicks, Sims, McCleon, Barber, Mitchell, Warfield and Woods still play for this team at this time.

Dunit35
07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
DT...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-07-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm still concerned with our Dline, but have hopes that a better LB core could cover that up. Won't know until the games begin for real.

Dunit35
07-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Good DT's will free up the Linebackers so much..I heard on FSN last night that Tony G was in a contract year? anybody see that or was that an old one. It was on the Worst Damn Sports Show.. He said he wasnt botherd by how much he is getting paid now..

Saulbadguy
07-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Fan board posters.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Good DT's will free up the Linebackers so much..I heard on FSN last night that Tony G was in a contract year? anybody see that or was that an old one. It was on the Worst Damn Sports Show.. He said he wasnt botherd by how much he is getting paid now..

That Patriots (to be quicker to the ball) went with a 2-5 scheme through most of the playoffs last year and in the Super Bowl.

Iowanian
07-07-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm still concerned about the DTs, LDE, MLB and Kicker

I'm most concerned with my Smack being too weak to last on fanboard.

Logical
07-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Well in order my concerns are:

CB
Middle Linebacker
WR
D-line in general

milkman
07-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Well in order my concerns are:

CB
Middle Linebacker
WR
D-line in general

My concerns are the same, only in a different order.

D-Line
MLB
CB
WR

Mr. Kotter
07-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Experienced quality #1 WR--even a #2 (and we ain't likely gettin' one :( )

Experienced quality depth at CB, unless Ambrose surprises.

DT, unless Siavii and Simms live up to potential.

Backup QB; we gotta pray Trent can stay healthy....again.

DE, unless Hicks is revived or Hall/Wilkerson surpass expectations.

Dave Lane
07-07-2005, 08:17 PM
Wins. We haven't won a game in like 8 months.

Dave

Dave Lane
07-07-2005, 08:18 PM
In reality CB CB CB CB CB CB CB CB DL

Dave

~big dback fan

Saulbadguy
07-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Heh. I'm starting to like this Dave Lane character.

Mr. Kotter
07-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Heh. I'm starting to like this Dave Lane character.

Wait till you meet him, and see his bling-bling.... :thumb:

wolfpack0735
07-07-2005, 08:30 PM
we stay injury-free on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side,,,,, the d-line.

Miles
07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Defensive line. One of them badly needs to have a breakout year.

penchief
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
DE and CB, in my opinion.

I like Allen and the buzz about Hall is good. However, Hicks is subpar, IMO, and we I think we need an intimidating run-stopper at LDE.

While I think that Surtain is as good as ANY corner in the league (CP deserves a lot of credit for this move, we couldn't have done better, including Rolle, IMO) and Warfield is a solid number two, we need a solid number three that can step into the number two role, if needed.

Other than that, we are good to go, IMHO.

Fairplay
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
If i picked one place where we are weakest it has to be at CB.
Remember last year when the Colts never ran a single play the second half? They passed and passed and passed the ball.

Manning exploited, as well as other teams, our weakness.
We have Surtain, Ambrose and Knight this season. But i really have to be convinced of the CB position this year to get rid of my doubts by watching a few games.
I am really looking forward to this season!

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 08:51 PM
we stay injury-free on the offensive side of the ball and the defensive side, the d-line.

Winner! I think all of the ingredients are there, they just need to stay injury free as possible and bust some ass.

PastorMikH
07-07-2005, 08:56 PM
WR & MLB

I know EVERYONE will blast on this, but I've seen enough of Mitchel at MLB that I hope Maz is healthy and able to play.

Fairplay
07-07-2005, 08:58 PM
WR & MLB

I know EVERYONE will blast on this, but I've seen enough of Mitchel at MLB that I hope Maz is healthy and able to play.

Maz is gone, how come some people won't accept this?

PastorMikH
07-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Maz is gone, how come some people won't accept this?

I think you are right, but with what I have seen of Mitchel, I'm still hoping.

milkman
07-07-2005, 09:00 PM
WR & MLB

If Mitchell does lose his job, either Gopher or Scanlon gets the job, unless Gun decides that Bell should be moved to the middle so that Key Fox can get onto the field.

Fairplay
07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
I think you are right, but with what I have seen of Mitchel, I'm still hoping.

You, me and a lot of other people had higher expectations of him (Mitchell) as well.
This better be his break-out year. If not i think the Chiefs made a poor draft pick.

PastorMikH
07-07-2005, 09:06 PM
If Mitchell does lose his job, either Gopher or Scanlon gets the job, unless Gun decides that Bell should be moved to the middle so that Key Fox can get onto the field.

Personally, I'm thinking that Bell is our best bet in the middle, but the coaching staff doesn't sound like they are willing to put him there. Fujita and DJ on either side of him would also be fine with me. I do think it is odd that Fujita was our best LB last year and he is looking at sitting on the bench and watching DJ play while Mitchel gets to stink up the middle again.

milkman
07-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Personally, I'm thinking that Bell is our best bet in the middle, but the coaching staff doesn't sound like they are willing to put him there. Fujita and DJ on either side of him would also be fine with me. I do think it is odd that Fujita was our best LB last year and he is looking at sitting on the bench and watching DJ play while Mitchel gets to stink up the middle again.

I agree, that is odd.

I'm not sure why Gun and Dick have such a hard on for Kawika.
It's got to be potential.

I think Fujita has just about reached his his maximum potential.

That is the only explanation that makes any sense.

PastorMikH
07-07-2005, 09:13 PM

Even so, he was the most solid LB we had - he isn't one of the best in the leage, but he is dpendable, doesn't make a lot of stupid play, and can hold his own. Put him out there with DJ on the other side and Bell in the middle keeping them up to speed and I think Fuji will look even better.

HemiEd
07-07-2005, 09:14 PM

I will very suprised if the put Bell in the middle.

Dave Lane
07-07-2005, 10:41 PM

Bell is best in a turn him loose on the QB and in coverage on the TE. I think Mitchell is passable in the middle IF he continues to improve. I have the last 3 games on Tivo and he looks really good.

Dave

Dave Lane
07-07-2005, 10:43 PM

Ummm isn't Gopher Scanlon?

Dave

greg63
07-07-2005, 10:50 PM
While I haven't looked at all the thread responses, the one area that seems to be missing from the few that I've seen are the WR position. I think if we were stronger at this position it would take pressure off Green and Holms, as well as the O-Line.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
QBotF

Red Dawg
07-07-2005, 10:51 PM
We need the d line to find a pass rush.

Rausch
07-07-2005, 10:57 PM

We were top 10 in the league in QB pressures last year.

When all you have to do is put it up there for a jump ball between your WR and whatever slob lined up across from Warfield for an 80% completion percentage there's no need to hold on to the ball...

arrowhead20
07-07-2005, 10:58 PM
im not even going to say a position, all we need is a trace of a decent pass rush from any of our players and our secondary and linebackers will create so many turnovers it'll be hard to lose,
( maybe a little overzelous about our secondary, but it is very possible)

Rausch
07-07-2005, 10:59 PM
I think we're weakest when it comes to depth at WR and depth at CB.

Battle wasn't getting beat and he wasn't getting burned, he just played the man way to physical and drew an ungodly amount of penalties. He's got to learn he can't molest the guy on the other side of the LOS like he did in college...

Bwana
07-07-2005, 11:31 PM
DT/DE

beer bacon
07-07-2005, 11:56 PM

We were 12th in sacks last year. We had the best pass rush in the AFC-West by far. Our pass defense was horrible despite a pretty good pass rush, not because of a lack of pass rush. It really shows how horrible our pass coverage was.

I am most worried about our DTs and MLBs. In order to have a dominant defense we need to be strong up the middle. If the middle of our defense isn't solid we will still be bottlenecked even if our secondary and OLBs are vastly improved.

regald
07-08-2005, 01:36 AM
Cornerback?

Most of you guys are already taking Patrick Surtain for granted? That leaves your #1 CB from last year, Warfield, now on #2 wide receivers. Couple that with the fact that you now have Ashley Ambrose, your almost loaded.

The equation definitely is not solved, but that's like Denver saying their CB position is in trouble. Losing Julian Battle doesn't mean the World is freezing over.

Electric
07-08-2005, 06:13 AM
WR & MLB

I don't really disagree with you on Mitchel, but when he first went in was when Maz went down it was like putting a hs freshman behind the wheel of an Indy race car. He was totally unprepared for the job as well as not having any leadership qualities (i.e. Willie Lanier or even Maz). The following year he had a little experience at the position, but was still like the deer in the headlights.

I'm not as worried about WR, but I can see where there would be some concern.

KCTitus
07-08-2005, 06:15 AM
KC needs more depth at FB...the huge hole left with the departure of Easy to FA means that KC is going to be soft and it wouldnt suprise me if this bonehead move by Carl is the reason why KC doesnt make the SB.

StcChief
07-08-2005, 07:04 AM
MLB
DE
DT

Mr. Kotter
07-08-2005, 07:16 AM
....while Mitchel gets to stink up the middle again.

Mitchell was getting better the last month or so last year. I'm gonna trust Gun's judgement....he says Mitchell is the guy, right now.

Now, that may change....I wouldn't be totally shocked, if a healthy Maz, Scanlon, or even Boomer are able unseat him.

the Talking Can
07-08-2005, 07:24 AM
We were 12th in sacks last year. We had the best pass rush in the AFC-West by far. Our pass defense was horrible despite a pretty good pass rush, not because of a lack of pass rush. It really shows how horrible our pass coverage was.

But I wonder how much our sack rating was a function of the other team throwing so much?

My memory is of QB's standing in the backfield all day and picking our secondary apart.

Maybe to be more specific, I think we need more a push from the middle of the DL. We got it from Dalton, but not from Sims or the backups.

Sparhawk
07-08-2005, 07:33 AM
Several posts here I concur with. I think the Defensive line is the key and MLB. I'm hoping Wilkerson, Sims, and Siavii can step up, and I'm hoping Ambrose shows us something. Gun has been working with Mitchell and it's his 3rd year, so hopefully the light will turn on and he'll be solid. WR is a concern too. Though for some reason I think we'll be okay there barring injuries.

ChiTown
07-08-2005, 07:45 AM
It would be nice to have better depth along the OL, but it's still pretty damned good by comparison. Roaf and Shields age concern me, but they're still 2 of the best in the biz.

I'm most concerned with DE and MLB. It has less to do with personnel and more to do with actual performance. Until I see these guys in action, those two spots will continue to bother me.

DB has more depth than we've had in some time, so I think we'll cover that area ok, especially if we can get pressure on the QB. I'm a little concerned at WR, only because we have such a drop off in experieince after Kennison. Mitchell does nothing for me, and I'll have to see more than one long reception from Boe before I anoit him into WR sainthood.

the Talking Can
07-08-2005, 07:51 AM
ranking my biggest concerns:

#1 - Sims, DT
#2 - Hicks, DE
#3 - #2 WR
#4 - Mitchell, MLB
#5 - Nickle CB
#6 - QBOTF

I'm also worried about who will play in Warfield's abscence, but that is not a season long concern.

Last year, at this point, every single defensive position except Safety was a concern...definite improvement.

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 07:51 AM
I agree, that is odd.

I'm not sure why Gun and Dick have such a hard on for Kawika.
It's got to be potential.

That is the only explanation that makes any sense.

This has nothing to do with Kawika.

It's that Gunther has a perma-woody for having Bell on the outside. Gunther thinks he's Derrick Thomas.

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Bell is best in a turn him loose on the QB and in coverage on the TE. I think Mitchell is passable in the middle IF he continues to improve. I have the last 3 games on Tivo and he looks really good.

Dave

You should have stopped your 1st sentence after "QB". Bell is not good in coverage at all.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Collins turns 34 in November. Tomorrow Green turns 35 & Huard turns 32. A young gun pushing Todd for #2 would make him better & ease my mind. Green is due an injury

beer bacon
07-08-2005, 10:42 AM
But I wonder how much our sack rating was a function of the other team throwing so much?

My memory is of QB's standing in the backfield all day and picking our secondary apart.

Maybe to be more specific, I think we need more a push from the middle of the DL. We got it from Dalton, but not from Sims or the backups.

Your memory and mine don't seem to fit. In 2003, I remember having a pretty bad pass rush, but I seem to remember getting pretty good pressure last year. Another thing I recall is that if the QB was under pressure he could just heave it in the direction of a receiver that was not being covered by Warfield and have a very good chance of completing it.

Electric
07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
Do we have any "untested" QB's in the fold?

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Collins turns 34 in November. Tomorrow Green turns 35 & Huard turns 32. A young gun pushing Todd for #2 would make him better & ease my mind. Green is due an injury

Green suffered a pretty severe injury in 2003 and played through it.

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Your memory and mine don't seem to fit. In 2003, I remember having a pretty bad pass rush, but I seem to remember getting pretty good pressure last year. Another thing I recall is that if the QB was under pressure he could just heave it in the direction of a receiver that was not being covered by Warfield and have a very good chance of completing it.

I'll never forget the Jake Delhomme "double pirouhette" TD pass last year.

I was, unfortunately, at that game.

ChiTown
07-08-2005, 10:48 AM

Don't know if you've turned 35 yet, but the body does some weird shit after you get to that point. Not saying that will happen to a finely tuned athlete, but little injuries can pop up pretty quickly at that age.

Chiefnj
07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd say the Chiefs are weak up the gut.

DT and MLB against the run.

Safeties in the passing game.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM

The Chiefs have been lucky with Green, hasn't missed a start. I was hopeful after a few retirements they could afford to keep the O clicking. A proven QB=major investment

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Don't know if you've turned 35 yet, but the body does some weird shit after you get to that point. Not saying that will happen to a finely tuned athlete, but little injuries can pop up pretty quickly at that age.

He's a pro football player. I would imagine the difference between 33 and 35 is pretty minimal.

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 11:12 AM
I'll never forget the Jake Delhomme "double pirouhette" TD pass last year.

I was, unfortunately, at that game.
:(

Wile_E_Coyote
07-08-2005, 11:43 AM
most of the other postions get game experience, even if just special teams. QBs do not, unless it's a holding the snap. If the D really starts clicking maybe Green won't have to play every O snap

RedThat
07-08-2005, 11:53 AM
i say the chiefs weakness is d-line. to me, the d-line has failed to establish a constant push and consistent pass-rush. sure we gotta a lot of sacks and qb pressures last year. however, teams passed like crazy on us. when opposing teams pass the ball 80% of the time on you, expect more qb pressures and sacks than normal.

dalton showed us some flash and dash last year. at times he did push threw and collapsed the pocket, but, at times he was invisible. i think dalton is servicable. however, i dont think he strikes fear in opposing lineman, or alter an offensive coordinators game plan. Ryan sims is just awful and the big weakness on our d-line. eric hicks is solid, but, subpar d-lineman. i think his run game is ok, he does a good job containing the run, and is a very average pass-rusher. Again, like dalton, hicks is servicable, but, doesn't strike fear into opposing lineman or alter an offensive coordinators game plan. jared allen is a good pass-rusher, and the only one we have on our d-line. however, he needs to work on his run defense badly. he overpursued, overran a lot of run plays last year. he needs to do a better job containing himself at the point of attack.

Our d-line is average,imo. they're inconsistent at times. i hope the linebackers can make up for our average d-line. i think we could do that, we improved speed at linebacker big time. we could utilize that speed to work around blockers. i say the chiefs get back to their old ways on defense, like, the way we did it in '97.

so im saying, go out and make a push for law. you have law and surtain those are 2 great cover corners. with 2 cover corners, we can enable ourselves to play a lot more press man to man coverages, and utilize the linebackers speed a lot more on the blitz, especially on 3rd downs rushing the passer. I figure we have to somewhat makeup for our lost play from the d-line, someway, somehow?

whoman69
07-08-2005, 12:17 PM
I see the defensive line as still having the most questions. We've thrown quite a few draft picks in there and they need to start panning out. Wide receiver I feel better about now than last year knowing we don't have a mediocre player like Morton around anymore. I think the young guys will flourish if given a chance to step up. I do worry that Freddie Mitchell becomes another excuse for DV not to depend on young players.

greg63
07-08-2005, 01:24 PM
For the most part I agree with every response to this thread, however, I believe the Chiefs biggest liability has yet to be mentioned - that being the GM position. Hunt needs to show Peterson the door!

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 01:29 PM
For the most part I agree with every response to this thread, however, I believe the Chiefs biggest liability has yet to be mentioned - that being the GM position. Hunt needs to show Peterson the door!

Yeah, that's the ticket.

Electric
07-08-2005, 01:34 PM

I don't understand you guys. CP is the main reason that the Chiefs have not suffered extended losing seasons. If you want to see the worst time frame, you need to look between 1972 and 1988. CP came in and the Chiefs began to be respectable. Even with their off seasons they have been one of the best draws in the NFL.

I fully support CP and the basic way he does business. He's not perfect but he is by far better than what we had in the past.

keg in kc
07-08-2005, 01:47 PM
There are no weaknesses right now. Only question-marks. Weaknesses don't show in July. At least not early July.

KCTitus
07-08-2005, 01:48 PM

He's says after this offseason...now that's genious (chiefsplanet spelling).

greg63
07-08-2005, 02:24 PM
I don't understand you guys. CP is the main reason that the Chiefs have not suffered extended losing seasons. If you want to see the worst time frame, you need to look between 1972 and 1988. CP came in and the Chiefs began to be respectable. Even with their off seasons they have been one of the best draws in the NFL.

I fully support CP and the basic way he does business. He's not perfect but he is by far better than what we had in the past.

I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Peterson is constantly looking for the "quick fix", instead of actually building a team like in the case with New England, or any other team that has had multiple trips to the Super Bowl in almost as many years. He constantly is getting a few seasoned veterans in some key positions for one or two seasons in an attempt to pacify Hunt and the fan base with a play-off berth or two, but never does what’s necessary to go all the way.

ChiefsOne
07-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Just like everyone else DL, one CB, one Saftey and backup QB.

Electric
07-08-2005, 02:30 PM
I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that Peterson is constantly looking for the "quick fix", instead of actually building a team like in the case with New England, or any other team that has had multiple trips to the Super Bowl in almost as many years. He constantly is getting a few seasoned veterans in some key positions for one or two seasons in an attempt to pacify Hunt and the fan base with a play-off berth or two, but never does what’s necessary to go all the way.

What basis do you say he is looking for the quick fix? Does he tell himself what the team needs? Does DV tell him? Does Gun tell him?

We are nothing more than "uneducated" fans of the game. If we were as good as we think we would be making those decisions for some NFL team. As you can plainly see, we are not.

We feel that CP needs to get the players we feel will make the team better, but we don't see things from the same perspective as a team president/general manager.

I would venture to guess that if CP leaves the Chiefs that the next guy will operate in the same manner and have the same arrows shot at him due to his way of doing things. It's entirely possible that the Chiefs without CP could be back in the doldrums as they were from '72 - '88.

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 02:36 PM

:clap:

You heard it here first, folks! Signing Patrick Surtain was a MISTAKE.

ROFL

greg63
07-08-2005, 02:38 PM
What basis do you say he is looking for the quick fix? Does he tell himself what the team needs? Does DV tell him? Does Gun tell him?

We are nothing more than "uneducated" fans of the game. If we were as good as we think we would be making those decisions for some NFL team. As you can plainly see, we are not.

We feel that CP needs to get the players we feel will make the team better, but we don't see things from the same perspective as a team president/general manager.

I would venture to guess that if CP leaves the Chiefs that the next guy will operate in the same manner and have the same arrows shot at him due to his way of doing things. It's entirely possible that the Chiefs without CP could be back in the doldrums as they were from '72 - '88.

Point well taken, however, I also speculate that it is entirely possible that we could do better with someone else. Your right I am just an armchair GM, Head Coach, etcetera, that is just a bit tired Peterson's five year plan to get to the Super Bowl that has long since expired.

Reaper16
07-08-2005, 02:39 PM
He's says after this offseason...now that's genious (chiefsplanet spelling).

Yeah, it's been a great offseason. But think of how good of a shape we'd be in if he did his job last offseason, too. We'd be better off financially without terrible resignings like Woods, Bartee, etc and could have done a bit in free agency last year, too.
Carl does these great offseasons every once in a while to keep the fans energized, but he ruins that esteem with his boneheaded GMing the rest of the time.
Keep him as president of the club, cuz he's been wonderful in that aspect. But rest assured, I'd kill a man to get someone like Pioli as GM.

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah, it's been a great offseason. But think of how good of a shape we'd be in if he did his job last offseason, too. We'd be better off financially without terrible resignings like Woods, Bartee, etc and could have done a bit in free agency last year, too.
Carl does these great offseasons every once in a while to keep the fans energized, but he ruins that esteem with his boneheaded GMing the rest of the time.
Keep him as president of the club, cuz he's been wonderful in that aspect. But rest assured, I'd kill a man to get someone like Pioli as GM.

He did his job last offseason. He asked our coaching staff what they wanted to do and Gunther "I can fix anything" Cunningham and Dick "I love these guys" Vermeil told him to re-sign them.

KCTitus
07-08-2005, 02:50 PM

That's primarily why I bolded the word 'this' in that post. While it's definately easy to link last years inactivity in the FA market to the 7-9 season, Carl did say on more than one occasion that they didnt have the money to sign many FA's that year and that 2005 would be different.

I point the finger at the owner for that, not Carl.

greg63
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM
He did his job last offseason. He asked our coaching staff what they wanted to do and Gunther "I can fix anything" Cunningham and Dick "I love these guys" Vermeil told him to re-sign them.

You were present at that meeting???

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 03:08 PM
You were present at that meeting???

Yep.

greg63
07-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Yep.

Well, I gotta tell ya: I certainly am honored to be sharing this dialog with the likes of you. It's not often I get to have a conversation with someone who is privy to inside meetings between Peterson and the Chiefs coaching staff.

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
Well, I gotta tell ya: I certainly am honored to be sharing this dialog with the likes of you. It's not often I get to have a conversation with someone who is privy to inside meetings between Peterson and the Chiefs coaching staff.

It's one of the "French" benefits of being an Apologist.

greg63
07-08-2005, 03:38 PM
It's one of the "French" benefits of being an Apologist.

LOL

Fair enough, and thanks for helping me to finally get to my 100 post now I can post a singnature pic.

ROFL

htismaqe
07-08-2005, 03:45 PM
LOL

Fair enough, and thanks for helping me to finally get to my 100 post now I can post a singnature pic.

ROFL

Well shit. If THAT is what you were after you should have said so. I'm a mod. I could give you 100,000 posts if I wanted to. :D

piattrocks
07-08-2005, 04:08 PM
The Chiefs are still weak against the Big Play, and will be until we see them play. Hopefully, the D will minimize the big plays against us and create some of thier own.

greg63
07-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Well shit. If THAT is what you were after you should have said so. I'm a mod. I could give you 100,000 posts if I wanted to. :D

Well, I do appreciate the sentiment and it really has been a pleasure talking to ya. Now I just have to figure out how to post a signature pic.