PDA

View Full Version : anyone got any opinions about mitsubishi cars?

phisherman
07-08-2005, 08:40 AM
just curious as to the general opinion...

looking for a new car right now, could get a real good deal on a 2005 galant right now, should i do it?

bp

Saulbadguy
07-08-2005, 08:45 AM
Never liked them, but thats just a personal opinion.

BTW, awesome avatar. You just contradicted me!

Nzoner
07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
I owned a Mitsubishi Montero for 8 years,except for general maintenance and some body work due to an accident it never needed any kind of major repair.I was very happy with it.

Soupnazi
07-08-2005, 08:49 AM
The Galant has been getting good reviews lately in auto magazines. According to most of them, they stack up well with Accord and Camry.

Obviously, you can't know how the new design is going to hold up long term.

The junk Mitsubishi was putting out in the mid 90's was horrendous. Back then, you'd have been better off setting it on fire and walking home.

RedDread
07-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Currently the owner of a 3000GT VR-4

it's fast...

phisherman
07-08-2005, 08:53 AM
The Galant has been getting good reviews lately in auto magazines. According to most of them, they stack up well with Accord and Camry.

Obviously, you can't know how the new design is going to hold up long term.

The junk Mitsubishi was putting out in the mid 90's was horrendous. Back then, you'd have been better off setting it on fire and walking home.

yep, it's hard to say no....i've got a chance to snag a 2005 Galant for around 14,500...

it drive well, very responsive...all the reviews that i've read have said that it can finally compete w/ altimas, camrys and accords...it's also got a great warranty, plus 5 years free roadside assistance

bp

chagrin
07-08-2005, 08:53 AM
just curious as to the general opinion...

looking for a new car right now, could get a real good deal on a 2005 galant right now, should i do it?

bp

that's not an argument, you simply contradicted me...LOL!

Mitsubishi's, if I am remembering correctly have been tagged to be decommissioned, no longer produced after this year I think? Or 2006. Great deals right now for them, but, I don't know....

MOhillbilly
07-08-2005, 08:54 AM

Saulbadguy
07-08-2005, 08:54 AM
yep, it's hard to say no....i've got a chance to snag a 2005 Galant for around 14,500...

it drive well, very responsive...all the reviews that i've read have said that it can finally compete w/ altimas, camrys and accords...it's also got a great warranty, plus 5 years free roadside assistance

bp
Heck of a deal.

cdcox
07-08-2005, 09:02 AM

bp

We have a 2003 Altima that we are extremely happy with. I like the styling of the Galant. At that price if it is any where near the Altima or Accord (I'm not a big fan of the Camary on styling/handling) in terms of quality, you can't go wrong.

PastorMikH
07-08-2005, 09:37 AM
I wouldn't take a Mitsubishi if it were given to me. Had 2 of their motors in Chrysler products, both were junk.

FWIW, that pic that Mohillbilly put up is correct, the Zeros were made my Mitsubishi. Like I've said before, I think those Kamakazis weren't on a death mission, I think they were dive-bombing when the stupid motors quit running on them.

PastorMikH
07-08-2005, 09:40 AM
We have a 2003 Altima that we are extremely happy with. I like the styling of the Galant. At that price if it is any where near the Altima or Accord (I'm not a big fan of the Camary on styling/handling) in terms of quality, you can't go wrong.

That Altima will last you 15-20 years if you want to hang onto it that long. A much better buy in the long run.

I like our Astro van, but I told the wife the other day that I am thinking I would like to go back to buying cars that still have life in them when they are paid for. We ahd our Sentra for 11 years and it was still solid and dependable when we sold it. The Stanza (replaced by the Altima) is a 1987 that my grandparents bought new. It is still going strong.

MOhillbilly
07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
read the caption above the pic.
id f#cking walk before id own a rice burner on the sheer principal that the same companies killed americans. perifu<kined!!!!!!!!

PastorMikH
07-08-2005, 09:47 AM
read the caption above the pic.
id f#cking walk before id own a rice burner on the sheer principal that the same companies killed americans. perifu<kined!!!!!!!!

'Course, most Japanese cars nowadays are built in the USA by US Workers. Do you know how many American cars are built in Mexico?

I SAY REMEMBER THE ALAMO!!!

:)

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 09:48 AM
'Course, most Japanese cars nowadays are built in the USA by US Workers. Do you know how many American cars are built in Mexico?

Amazing.

phisherman
07-08-2005, 09:48 AM
surprisingly enough, the Galant is manufactured in the US by UAW workers..

per the uaw web site

bp

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Had a friend with a Gallant, IIRC it had the same V-6 as the 3000GT just “de-camed” for more mid-range/less peak power. Know how you’re supposed to change the spark plugs on the back bank of cylinders? Unbolt the engine from the motor mounts and rotate it forward. Factory service manual calls for a ridiculous amount of time just to change spark plugs.
Not maintenance friendly.

morphius
07-08-2005, 09:51 AM

Now 3 days old, love the V6 SE. Though having a spoiler on a 4 door car is a tad embarrassing...

MOhillbilly
07-08-2005, 09:54 AM

sellouts the money all goes to the same families that killed americans

i drive an 80 dodge P/U.
Cause im a MAHN.

and i like old trucks.

Soupnazi
07-08-2005, 09:57 AM
Had a friend with a Gallant, IIRC it had the same V-6 as the 3000GT just “de-camed” for more mid-range/less peak power. Know how you’re supposed to change the spark plugs on the back bank of cylinders? Unbolt the engine from the motor mounts and rotate it forward. Factory service manual calls for a ridiculous amount of time just to change spark plugs.
Not maintenance friendly.

That's pretty much the same for every sideways mounted front wheel drive V6.

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 10:00 AM
I wouldn't take a Mitsubishi if it were given to me. Had 2 of their motors in Chrysler products, both were junk.

FWIW, that pic that Mohillbilly put up is correct, the Zeros were made my Mitsubishi. Like I've said before, I think those Kamakazis weren't on a death mission, I think they were dive-bombing when the stupid motors quit running on them.

That’s too bad. Though Mitsubishi Eclipses are widely used for Import Drag Racing because they’re light, can make enormous power with a turbo/blower and/or nitrous and the stock bottom end, clutch and transmission can handle up to 600 horse applications.
I had an Eclipse with the 2.0 DOHC 4-banger and it was very reliable for me. Only problem with it was when I didn’t change the timing belt when I should’ve, chunked it and bent valves. I rebuilt the cylinder head, sold it to a friend’s dad who let his youngest daughter drive it and it worked great for her for another 14K miles. Then he got his hands into it and it never worked the same again.
“Your worst nightmare is an operator with a screwdriver.” SSGT. Badger from my HAWK AIT. Truer words haven’t been spoken.
;)

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 10:01 AM
That's pretty much the same for every sideways mounted front wheel drive V6.

Yup.

Radar Chief
07-08-2005, 10:05 AM
sellouts the money all goes to the same families that killed americans

i drive an 80 dodge P/U.
Cause im a MAHN.

and i like old trucks.

And you like the smell of a carbureted big block spitting out unburned hydrocarbons. ;)

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 10:06 AM
I should look into something more mahnly.

phisherman
07-08-2005, 10:22 AM
yes, more MAHNLY would be good

:LOL:

bp

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 10:24 AM
I have an '01 Ford Explorer Sport. It has treated me pretty well.

BIG_DADDY
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
I have an '01 Ford Explorer Sport. It has treated me pretty well.

Funny I always saw you as more of a VW Bug kinda guy.

bobbything
07-08-2005, 10:28 AM
I had 2002 Galant for two years before I got in a wreck. I loved it. Never had any problems. Rode very smooth.

However, Mitsubishi's do not hold their value like the other Japanese cars (Honda, Toyota, Nissan). It only had about 50,000 miles on it when I got rid of it and, even if it were to have been in perfect condition, IIRC the Blue Book value was only around $6000. I paid $12,000 for it.

PastorMikH
07-08-2005, 10:28 AM

I don't know, I could see him driving a Mini-Cooper around.

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 10:30 AM
You think of me a lot don't you?

Sorry to dissapoint buddy.

BIG_DADDY
07-08-2005, 10:30 AM

The thuper duper Mini-Cooper. ROFL

phisherman
07-08-2005, 10:36 AM

that's a call out!

i can't help it, i give a friend of mine s**t all the time cuz he was considering buying one

bp

|Zach|
07-08-2005, 10:37 AM
that's a call out!

heh

PastorMikH
07-08-2005, 10:41 AM

ROFL ROFL

Last year one of the college kids here at the Church wanted one of those. His mom and him went shopping and got him one. Now he's an athlete - always in the gym, and usually has attractive laddies trying to get him to notice them. Sometime this last spring/winter, he came to the realization of who the typical driver of one of those cars tends to be. Now he's wanting to get rid of it big time but mom thinks he's silly and doesn't want to go car shopping for him again. They traded him their Altima for a week her about a month ago so they could get some body work done to the cooper, and his step dad refused to drive the Mini-Cooper that entire week.ROFL

BIG_DADDY
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
You think of me a lot don't you?

Sorry to dissapoint buddy. ROFL

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Worst of all of the Japenese cars IMO, well except for the Suzuki. They should have stuck with Airplanes in WWII. They were caught cheating on their quality reports recently and have been losing money hand over fist. They are usually well behind the design curve in the Electronics area. Other than that, they are great. :p

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 12:53 PM
And you like the smell of a carbureted big block spitting out unburned hydrocarbons. ;)

Dodge no longer had a big block in 1980. :p

HC_Chief
07-08-2005, 12:55 PM
Misubishi = great electronics, horrible cars. The latter may have changed in (very) recent years; however I would still be leary of them. FTR, several American vehicles had Mitsubishi engines in them... cheap crap that breaks regularly (this, coming from my fil who owns a shop).

Amnorix
07-08-2005, 01:06 PM
If you go back a few years, Mitsubishi was easily the worst run Japanese car company. Their product was total crap, they knew it, and they didn't care.

'bout 5 years ago they kicked out all the top management, cleaned house, got their shat together, and my understanding is they are putting out much better product now.

I've never owned one, but I'd go by what the latest reviews are saying rather than people's memories of how bad they sucked 10 years ago or whatever. They did, THEN, but this is now.

MOhillbilly
07-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Dodge no longer had a big block in 1980. :p

225 slant six. i seen the gas prices coming.
I had looked at a 79 ford f-250 camper special w/ a 460.
screw that.

Saulbadguy
07-08-2005, 01:50 PM
Worst of all of the Japenese cars IMO, well except for the Suzuki. They should have stuck with Airplanes in WWII. They were caught cheating on their quality reports recently and have been losing money hand over fist. They are usually well behind the design curve in the Electronics area. Other than that, they are great. :p
Don't forget about ISUZU.

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 02:14 PM
225 slant six. i seen the gas prices coming.
I had looked at a 79 ford f-250 camper special w/ a 460.
screw that.

Great choice, that engine will run 250,000 easily in most cases without any work. They should know how to build it by now, they introduced it in 1960.

Don't forget about ISUZU.

But they are so forgetable, you are right, they suck to. I had just read a report last Thursday in the USA today on the latest repair numbers on the three year old cars. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler and Chevrolet were all above the mean. Isuzu and Suzuki were well below average. The Lexus was the best.

HC_Chief
07-08-2005, 02:16 PM
The Lexus was the best.

You get what you pay for. Hell, regular old, run-of-the-mill Toyotas are highly reliable.... their luxuary models are phenominal (but you'll pay out the ass to have one)

HemiEd
07-08-2005, 02:19 PM
You get what you pay for. Hell, regular old, run-of-the-mill Toyotas are highly reliable.... their luxuary models are phenominal (but you'll pay out the ass to have one)

My three year old Chrysler is very reliable, a weatherstrip has been replaced, that is all. They had a recall on the seat bolts, craziness in my opinion. It was the most I have ever paid for a set of wheels so I am very picky.

Reaper16
07-08-2005, 02:25 PM
Mitsubishi Lancer. Now.

Saulbadguy
07-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Mitsubishi Lancer. Now.
Lancer EVO.

Reaper16
07-08-2005, 02:30 PM
Lancer EVO.

Word up.

dilligaf
07-08-2005, 02:30 PM
But they hold their value very well.
If you buy a Mitsubishi, you are driving a car that will have no factory support in a couple years. They are going bankrupt because they cannot compete with even the domestic cars. Pay the extra money and get a reliable car that will also hold its value. Toyota or Honda.

Reaper16
07-08-2005, 02:33 PM
But they hold their value very well.
If you buy a Mitsubishi, you are driving a car that will have no factory support in a couple years. They are going bankrupt because they cannot compete with even the domestic cars. Pay the extra money and get a reliable car that will also hold its value. Toyota or Honda.

Yeah... but you can drift like a mother f*****!
:rockon:

StcChief
07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Mitsu - issues with longivity. or use to be.
Seems like the cut corners in places.

Had 87 Nissan Stanza 259K miles, no issues other than normal maintenance.Tranny high get went.

Driving Maxima now. Great car.

Skip Towne
07-08-2005, 06:22 PM
An Isetta would fit him fine.

dilligaf
07-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Now thats a sport I would like to try. Looks like a ton of fun. :p

Miles
07-08-2005, 06:35 PM

I dont think he is looking for a car to use in Gran Turismo ;)