PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Dennis to make landfall today

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Extremely dangerous Hurricane Dennis nears Gulf Coast
Landfall Sunday afternoon or evening
8:28 a.m. ET Sun.,Jul.10,2005
B. Bernard, Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

At 8:00 a.m. EDT, Dennis' maximum sustained winds remained at 145 mph making it an extremely dangerous
Category 4 hurricane. This is the second time that Dennis has reached Category 4 status. The current central
pressure of 930 mb (27.46") is the lowest so far recorded in the hurricane.

Dennis continues to swirl toward the north-northwest at 15 mph and seems destined to thunder ashore somewhere
between Mobile, Ala. and Ft. Walton Beach, Fla., this afternoon. A jog in Dennis' course over the past few hours suggests
a growing likelihood of a strike on the western portion of the Florida Panhandle. Destruction of coastal property in
this region will be extensive. Water rise is expected to be in the 12- to 18-foot range; thus, all people should be far
away from low-lying areas.

Outer rain bands of Dennis are radiating northward now, flinging heavy rain and gusty winds into the Florida Panhandle,
southern Alabama and southern Georgia well in advance of the eye. Gusty winds continue to batter much of
the Florida Peninsula (particularly the western half of the state).

Winds will increase rapidly across the Florida Panhandle today as Dennis approaches. A tornado watch remains posted
until 3 p.m. EDT for the Florida Panhandle, southwest Georgia and southern Alabama. A tornado watch has also
been issued for the west coast of the Florida Peninsula, generally north of Port Charlotte. This watch is valid until 2 p.m. EDT.

At U.S. landfall, Dennis may be as strong as when it hit the south-central coast of Cuba on Friday. And when
the hurricane crashes into the Gulf Coast it will certainly be stronger than last year's Ivan. Rainfall amounts of
4-8 inches are forecast for the Florida Panhandle, southern Alabama and southern Mississippi. Locally higher
amounts are likely along and east of where the center of circulation tracks.

Hurricane warnings remain in effect for the northern Gulf Coast from the Pearl River east to the Steinhatchee River
with tropical storm warnings from the Steinhatchee River to Bonita Beach, Florida. The hurricane warning in
the Florida Keys has been downgraded to a tropical storm warning from the Seven Mile Bridge to the Dry Tortugas.
In Louisiana, tropical storm warnings are posted from Morgan City to the Pearl River, including New Orleans and
Lake Ponchatrain.

Four Atlantic tropical cyclones -- Arlene, Bret, Cindy and Dennis -- reached tropical storm status by July 5
this year, the earliest there have been four named storms in the Atlantic. Only three major hurricanes
(Category 3 or higher) have hit the U.S. coast in July in the past 100 years. When Dennis' winds peaked at
150 mph on Friday, the storm became the strongest July Atlantic Basin hurricane on record and the strongest
Atlantic hurricane so early in hurricane season.

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/archdat/tropical_cyclones/tc05/ATL/04L.DENNIS/vis/geo/1km_zoom/20050710.1245.goes12.x.vis1km_high.04LDENNIS.125kts-930mb-285N-863W.jpg

Bwana
07-10-2005, 08:03 AM
Ouch!

badgirl
07-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Thanks a lot 4th, make me even more scared looking at the pic with me in the bullseye :rolleyes: :deevee: :deevee:

Skip Towne
07-10-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks a lot 4th, make me even more scared looking at the pic with me in the bullseye :rolleyes: :deevee: :deevee:
Do you have any kind of storm shelter? Some of the churches will provide them.

badgirl
07-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Do you have any kind of storm shelter? Some of the churches will provide them.
no shelter, and the shelters are all full except taking special needs, we have a rock house or concrete or something like that, I'm hoping it doesn't take us all away.
I'm scared to death I don't care to admit it.

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 08:35 AM
Normally I would feel sorry for someone in your predicament. However, you put yourself in harms way by not
paying attention. You see, there's this really cool thing called "The Weather Channel" and they knew
about this storm a week ago. You should watch more television. :p

Seriously, stay safe. :) We're all thinkin about ya. We want you to come back and post more. The Planet wouldn't
be the same without your booby avatar. ;)

badgirl
07-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Normally I would feel sorry for someone in your predicament. However, you put yourself in harms way by not
paying attention. You see, there's this really cool thing called "The Weather Channel" and they knew
about this storm a week ago. You should watch more television. :p

Seriously, stay safe. :) We're all thinkin about ya. We want you to come back and post more. The Planet wouldn't
be the same without your booby avatar. ;)
Well after it went over cuba and ended up a catagory 2 we wasn't sure if it would be bad, then everyone ran out of gas and the rooms were booked all the way to north texas, we just ended up screwed and yea we screwed ourselves at that.

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 08:48 AM
I actually had my vacation scheduled starting yesterday and running through next weekend.
I was going to go to Florida. Luckily for me, I moved my vacation to the end of the month.

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 02:14 PM
LAND HO!
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/FLOAT/VIS/20.jpg