PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Album #4 - Lochloosa

CosmicPal
07-10-2005, 11:46 AM
This is the fourth in a series of underrated books and music I’d personally like to share with the Planet. There are a myriad works of art since the dawn of time that have not been given their due artistic merit. Remarkable pieces of music, art, and stories that have garnered critical acclaim, but were never embraced by the mass. So, without further ado- let us begin:

MOFRO - Lochoosa

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002C4GW4.01._PE7_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unique and entirely original front porch soul music: You can almost smell the backwoods swamps of the Sunshine State when you're listening to this dusky blend of Southern rock, blues, and soul. The first thing that grabs you about Mofro's sophomore CD is the deep, soulful grooves that permeate every song, whether on up-tempo funky workouts or lowdown gritty laments. There is a deep sentimental attachment to the state of Florida here, but it should not be forgotten that this music will embed itself into your soul and remain there for a long, joyous time.

Repeated listens reveal a range of subject matter that moves from domestic abuse to rural overdevelopment to the lost innocence of youth. Two guys primarily make up MOFRO – and these two guys know how to make some resounding music that will tap your feet and lift your spirits.

“Everybody’s” is quite honestly one of the most beautiful and soulful piece of music ever rendered in rock.

“Fireflies” is a haunting and chilling reminder asking the serial question, “...where oh where oh have all the fireflies gone?”

and the title track, “Lochloosa” is a heartbreaking, tonal song about losing the natural beauty of Florida to greed and overdevelopment:

“...homesick but it’s alright
Lochloosa is on my mind
she’s on my mind

I swear it’s ten thousand degrees in the shade
Lord have mercy knows
how much I love her

Every mosquito,
every rattlesnake,
every cane break
everything

Every alligator
every blackwater swamp
every freshwater spring
everything

All we need is one more
damn developer
tearin’ her heart out

All we need is one more Mickey Mouse
another golf course
another country club
another gated community

Lord I need her,
lord I need her
and she’s slippin’ away...”

Don’t let this masterpiece from 2004 slip away from you. It’s a little early to add an underrated album from 2000 on, but this is one album you’ll be glad to know. The harmonies, the scrub-board music, the entertainment- it’s all here. And it’s all good.

Megbert
07-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Heard them on an NPR show a year or so ago. Been Meaning to pick up a CD. They played PHX a while back unfortunately I missed them.