PDA

View Full Version : I just saw Crash last night - anyone else seen it?

KC Jones
07-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Best movie I've seen in a long long time. I almost forgot something this well written could come out of a major hollywood studio. I thought it did a great job of showing some of the depths of inhumanity that can run amok in our society, but at the end actually uplifting you with a sense of redemption and the grace we all can release from within.

(DISCLAIMER For the BB redundant thread nazi's: I searched for "movie crash" and came up with nothing so if there's already been a thread about it - blow me)

DaneMcCloud
07-10-2005, 04:34 PM
To call Lion's Gate a major studio is like calling the Royals a MLB team (not to dis the Royals, per se). Lion's Gate didn't produce the film, the only distributed it, according a lawyer friend of mine over there, like they do with so many pictures. Regardless, it is a good film but that's due to Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby) than Lion's Gate or any studio.

It was made for 6.5 million but has grossed over $50 million before DVD sales.

Dane

KC Jones
07-10-2005, 04:47 PM
To call Lion's Gate a major studio is like calling the Royals a MLB team (not to dis the Royals, per se). Lion's Gate didn't produce the film, the only distributed it, according a lawyer friend of mine over there, like they do with so many pictures. Regardless, it is a good film but that's due to Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby) than Lion's Gate or any studio.

It was made for 6.5 million but has grossed over $50 million before DVD sales.

Dane

I had no idea - I just assumed since it had so many big names and was playing in a mainstream theater it had to come from one of the big studios.

Nightfyre
07-10-2005, 04:55 PM
I saw it in theatres.... I still don't know what to think of it. I think I like it, but it would take a second screening and a few hours of pondering to decide.

Nzoner
08-28-2005, 06:42 PM
The mrs and I finally got around to seeing it today and all I can say is wow,easily the best movie I've seen in sometime at a theatre.I usually have to go to Hastings and search through the independent movies to find something this good.

The acting was A+ as well as the story.

This one will definitely be taking up residence in my personal collection as soon as it's released on DVD.

irishjayhawk
08-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Where did you see it?

Im waiting for the DVD on Sept 6th

Nzoner
08-28-2005, 07:49 PM
Where did you see it?

Im waiting for the DVD on Sept 6th

We got one of those $1.50 theatres here was able to catch it there.

irishjayhawk
08-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Wow, im surprised it's still there. I saw it the day before it came out and came out knowing id purchase the dvd.

ChiefsGirl
08-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Crash was definitely the best movie I've seen in years. I can't wait for the DVD release so I can see it again.

Sully
01-21-2006, 10:28 PM
The fiance and I rented this movie this week.
It was amazing, simply put.
It definitely shows both the worse and the best side of humanity,and how boh sides can be in the same person... absolutely amazing.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:32 PM
It was ok. I wasnt as impressed with it as much as most people. It was a little too preachy, but i guess that was the point. For a better Terance Howard pic, check out "Hustle and Flow" I just watched it the other night and its pure Dynamite. What a performance by Howard.

Sully
01-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Nothing wrong with a preachy movie, if done well and with a strong message to preach.
I am VERY interested in seeing Hustle and Flow, looks terrific.

doomy3
01-21-2006, 10:36 PM
I really liked Crash, I thought it was a very great movie.

I will need to check out Hustle and Flow too...

melbar
01-21-2006, 10:36 PM
Seen it? I've never even heard of it!

KcMizzou
01-21-2006, 10:42 PM
It was ok. I wasnt as impressed with it as much as most people. It was a little too preachy, but i guess that was the point. For a better Terance Howard pic, check out "Hustle and Flow" I just watched it the other night and its pure Dynamite. What a performance by Howard.I agree. "Hustle and Flow" was much better than I expected.

Miles
01-21-2006, 10:42 PM
It was ok. I wasnt as impressed with it as much as most people. It was a little too preachy, but i guess that was the point. For a better Terance Howard pic, check out "Hustle and Flow" I just watched it the other night and its pure Dynamite. What a performance by Howard.

I thought almost exactly the same. Pretty decent movie but nothing great. It was a little over done and preachy for my taste.

I tried to find "Hustle and Flow" tonight but it was checked out. When I saw the previews I didnt think much of it but the reviews are pretty positive.

John Matrix
01-21-2006, 10:52 PM
I figured Hustle and Flow would be terrible, but I've heard a lot of good things about it...I find that surprising, but I might as well give it a look.

Crash was pretty good, but over the top. Unfortunately, it's probably hard for them to get the point across w/o being way over the top, so maybe it's not fair to blame them.

Deberg_1990
01-21-2006, 10:54 PM
I figured Hustle and Flow would be terrible, but I've heard a lot of good things about it...I find that surprising, but I might as well give it a look.

Yes, it takes a very overdone story (Hood movie, Pimps and Hoes, the underdog theme) and makes something special out of it. Its really extemely well made and entertaining.

Nzoner
01-21-2006, 11:25 PM
I am VERY interested in seeing Hustle and Flow, looks terrific.

It is,enjoy.

PunkinDrublic
01-22-2006, 01:05 AM
I thought this movie was a little overrated myself. It wasn't horrible but I thought many of the scenes were very cliched.

htismaqe
01-22-2006, 05:54 AM

Crash was pretty good, but over the top. Unfortunately, it's probably hard for them to get the point across w/o being way over the top, so maybe it's not fair to blame them.

I watched "Crash" on HBO last night, and over-the-top is pretty much how I'd describe it too.

Honestly, I felt the story was lacking.

Too much time ****ing, not enough time exploring the characters.

Nzoner
01-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Crash wins top SAG honors (http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/entnews/ap/20060129/113860548000.html)

NewChief
01-30-2006, 03:10 PM
Loved Crash and loved Hustle and Flow. Both really excellent movies.

I watched the Aristocrats this weekend and was a little dissapointed with it. I guess I'd just read so much about it that it wasn't that funny to me. There were a few of the comedians who were pretty funny, though. The Mime was awesome.

Baby Lee
01-30-2006, 03:13 PM
I watched "Crash" on HBO last night, and over-the-top is pretty much how I'd describe it too.

Interesting dialog
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060108/COMMENTARY/601080310
http://www.laweekly.com/index.php?option=com_lawcontent&task=view&id=12416&Itemid=9
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/SCANNERS/60120002

I vaccilate between calling it an 'afterschool special on 'roids' and a 'modern day morality play.'

I think that the movie simultaneously expands the genre and falls victim to the limitations of the medium. By portraying each and every character as demonic and angelic by turn, it illuminates the contradictions we all carry, but it does so in such an amplified manner that we can all say "well, I'm not THAT bad."

RockChalk
01-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Just watched Crash the other night.

I enjoyed it, but would have a hard time describing it as one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

Nzoner
01-30-2006, 03:48 PM
Just watched Crash the other night.

I enjoyed it, but would have a hard time describing it as one of the best movies I've seen in a long time.

As for me I described it as the best movie I've seen in a theatre in a long time,I tend to lean more towards Independent type movies.

foxman
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Powerful movie, sort of reminded me of the Movie Grand Canyon, anyone remember that?

DJJasonp
01-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Powerful movie, sort of reminded me of the Movie Grand Canyon, anyone remember that?

You're absolutely correct.....

Crash owes a lot to a movie called Short Cuts directed by Robert Altman.

Crash was pretty darn good, but Altman is the master at this genre.

If you liked Crash....check out Short Cuts.

RockChalk
01-30-2006, 04:22 PM
I saw Grand Canyon in one of my classes a few years ago. The way everything ties together is in that same fashion. I'd put Crash ahead of that though, although I do like most movies with Kevin Kline in them...especially A Fish Called Wanda...anyone remember that?

NewChief
01-30-2006, 09:06 PM
You're absolutely correct.....

Crash owes a lot to a movie called Short Cuts directed by Robert Altman.

Crash was pretty darn good, but Altman is the master at this genre.

If you liked Crash....check out Short Cuts.

Just want to point out, once again, that Altman's movie is pretty much lifted straight from the pages of Raymond Carver's collection of short stories by the same name. Great movie. Even better collection of short stories.

irishjayhawk
01-30-2006, 10:13 PM

Wow, can't believe you didn't like it.,

IMO, it wins best picture, hands down.

Jenson71
01-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Just want to point out, once again, that Altman's movie is pretty much lifted straight from the pages of Raymond Carver's collection of short stories by the same name. Great movie. Even better collection of short stories.

And how much influenential importance and recognition should James Joyce receive?

Nzoner
01-30-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, can't believe you didn't like it.,

You may want to check out Cronenberg's Crash (http://imdb.com/title/tt0115964/)?

Johnson&Johnson
01-30-2006, 11:09 PM
:rockon:

NewChief
01-31-2006, 05:54 AM
And how much influenential importance and recognition should James Joyce receive?

Are you referring to the end of Crash? The snow scene definitely reminded me of the end of "The Dead," though the meaning is entirely different.

A few light taps upon the pane made him turn to the window. It had begun to snow again. He watched sleepily the flakes, silver and dark, falling obliquely against the lamplight. The time had come for him to set out on his journey westward. Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Or maybe you're just referring to the fact that Dubliners depicts life in a single city in much the same way these do with LA? The difference is that Altman's movie is a screen adaptation of Carver's collection. It's not like Altman was influenced by the collection or got some ideas from it. He adapted the collection of short stories to the screen.

Dunit35
02-26-2006, 04:33 PM
I just saw this movie for the first time today and it was amazing. I am going to have to buy this movie. Did it win any awards or anything?

Uncle_Ted
02-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Strangely enough, I didn't just dislike it, I hated it. It felt waaaaaaaay too preachy to me. Maybe it could have been a good made-for-tv movie for the Lifetime network without all the star power. Otherwise a complete waste of time.

Frankie
02-26-2006, 06:56 PM
Crash stayed in my head for a week. Since then it comes back from time to time. Powerful movie. Bought the DVD as soon as it came out. :thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins
02-26-2006, 07:20 PM
"Crash" was a good movie, but it wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. It seems like the kind of movie that polarizes people not because its great, but because people don't think about this subject matter very often. Therefore, you either get the preachy message from it, or the 'great social commentary' message from it. I don't really think that it's either--this is a movie that average Joe's will use as a 'text' to explain their own understanding of American racial issues. People in cube farms will watch it and suddenly come to the conclusion that they get it in regards to America's social problems, but if they really wanted to get it they'd actually read some friggin books from time to time.

Jenson71
02-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Or maybe you're just referring to the fact that Dubliners depicts life in a single city in much the same way these do with LA? The difference is that Altman's movie is a screen adaptation of Carver's collection. It's not like Altman was influenced by the collection or got some ideas from it. He adapted the collection of short stories to the screen.

Yes, I was thinking along the lines the structure and how all these people's lives seem to relate and intertwine. I'm not entirely educated on this stuff, but was it Joyce who sort of started this idea?

DeepPurple
02-27-2006, 02:51 PM
The Crash on HBO is not the same movie, I've got all ten of the HBO channels, they're showing the one with James Spader from about five years ago which is about people who get off when seeing car crashes or the results of them. The Crash that is currently winning awards and nominations was released last year and on DVD about six months ago. It involves the interaction of a group of people from different lifestyles and races all with different racial attitudes. During the movie some characters paths will cross but eventually a car crash at the end results in everyone's life being effected.

My only complaint with the movie was it was a little over-the-top. For example, when Sandra Bullock starts stereotying the locksmith with her comments, I can't imagine in real life that she would of said it like that, but would of instead mentioned it later to her husband or had told him in another room out of earshot. If she was that intimidated by his presence, then she would of been just as intimidated to speak up.

One of the nominations I just saw was Cinderella Man, I didn't think I would like it and only rented it because I like Russell Crowe. To me, it turns out to be a great movie, it may start out slow but it's well worth the build up to appreciate the story. I would rate Cinderella Man ahead of Crash.

MOhillbilly
02-27-2006, 02:59 PM
it was alright- seemed alittle daylate and a dollar short make the sheep think kind of message.
ill watch dr. doolittle if i wanna see a push me pull me.

beavis
02-27-2006, 04:04 PM
People in cube farms will watch it and suddenly come to the conclusion that they get it in regards to America's social problems, but if they really wanted to get it they'd actually read some friggin books from time to time.
Sweet, I was unaware that reading a book would help me "get it" about America's social issues. :rolleyes:

Pseudo-intellectual snobs ought to shampoo my crotch.

MOhillbilly
02-27-2006, 04:19 PM
"Crash" was a good movie, but it wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. It seems like the kind of movie that polarizes people not because its great, but because people don't think about this subject matter very often. Therefore, you either get the preachy message from it, or the 'great social commentary' message from it. I don't really think that it's either--this is a movie that average Joe's will use as a 'text' to explain their own understanding of American racial issues. People in cube farms will watch it and suddenly come to the conclusion that they get it in regards to America's social problems, but if they really wanted to get it they'd actually read some friggin books from time to time.

or how about stepin out and live life? ya goof.

Brock
02-27-2006, 04:22 PM
People in cube farms will watch it and suddenly come to the conclusion that they get it in regards to America's social problems, but if they really wanted to get it they'd actually read some friggin books from time to time.

In other words, people who work for a living and don't live on Acadamia Boulevard on campus don't really have the time nor inclination to wonder and worry about how our minorities view us.

On topic, this movie was a wannabe Magnolia.