PDA

View Full Version : How to kill Racoons?

jspchief
07-10-2005, 06:16 PM
I've got a bit of a problem. The local racoons have decided my backyard is a good place to take a dump. Normally this wouldn't bother me much, because I can just scoop it along with the dog poo. The thing is, everytime I let my dog out, and there is a fresh pile of racoon poo, he decides he needs to roll around in it.

As you can imagine, a dog that just rolled in fresh racoon sh*t doesn't smell very good. In fact, it's enough to gag a maggot. Since it normally happens at night, or first thing in the morning, I'm repeatedly stuck with a dog that needs a bath at the most inconvenient times. If I shower him at night, I have a wet dog that needs to stay inside (stinking of wet dog) until the morning. Bathing him first thing in the morning isn't exactly convenient either. And in general, regardless of the time of day, I don't enjoy bathing a 85 pound ADHD Weimeraner.

The obvious solution is to eliminate the racoons. What's not obvious is how to do it without discharging a gun within city limits. I would prefer to snuff the life out from the rotten little bastards, in a slow painful way. I'm also open to suggestions on how to just keep them off my property, but I really would prefer it if they were dead.

My thinking at this time is to leave out an anti-freeze smoothie. The plus side would be eliminating any stray cats as well. The downside is the risk to dogs. I may also try spotlighting them at night. Problem being my pellet gun won't kill them, and I can't hold a spotlight while shooting a bow. Not to mention waving a spotlight in a residential area at night is bound to attract cops.

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions. I may even try and post some sort of progress report, with pictures of the enemy's corpses.

Valiant
07-10-2005, 06:19 PM
If you would quit leaving your boba fett action figures outside, gochiefs would quit coming over to play and dumping in your yard...

Iowanian
07-10-2005, 06:23 PM
This guy I know has assassinated Racoons in town for hire before.

If you know where they're coming through your fence or under something, its pretty easy to pick them off with a 110 conobear trap that you can buy for $15.

If they're coming under your deck/porch/house...you can use some simple household Amonia in a mayonaise lid to run them off...same for skunks et al.

You can also get some "silent" .22 shells that are quiet, and will Eliminate the problem if placed in the brainpan.

jspchief
07-10-2005, 06:31 PM
This guy I know has assassinated Racoons in town for hire before.

If you know where they're coming through your fence or under something, its pretty easy to pick them off with a 110 conobear trap that you can buy for $15.

If they're coming under your deck/porch/house...you can use some simple household Amonia in a mayonaise lid to run them off...same for skunks et al.

You can also get some "silent" .22 shells that are quiet, and will Eliminate the problem if placed in the brainpan.I thought about traps. I have several trapping buddies that could hook me up with the equipment. It's just a matter of setting them in the right spot, and not catching my own dog or a neighbor kid.

They aren't bothering the house. They seem to mess around in my hedgerow that lines my back chain link fence. It's pretty dense in there, but I'm certain they don't actually live in there, or they would have met my dog by now. That damn hedgerow attracts more f*cking wildlife. I had the pleasure of mowing some baby bunnies this morning, and the few that survived will be weimeraner snacks soon enough, further ruining my dog's interest in pheasant.

Iowanian
07-10-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't know how big your dog is, but a 110 looks like 2 metal squares not much larger than a CD/DVD box..they fold out into a springed "x" with a trip switch and will smash their neck. Unless you've got one of those little yappers....it won't be a life threatening problem...cats, rabbits et al...there Could be "collateral damage".

Its silent...and effective BUT you have to put it either on a closed point in a trail, or where they crawl through/under a fence/building.

Find where they're crawling through/under your chainlink, borrow a trap and you'll have the problem solved in a week. It'd work better if your friend can Show you how to set them properly....

Get them tossed out of town that day though...coons stink fast.

4th and Long
07-10-2005, 06:35 PM
It's just a matter of setting them in the right spot, and not catching my own dog.
Sounds to me like you need a better dog. One that will kill a coon.

DTLB58
07-10-2005, 06:39 PM
http://www.havahart.com/nuisance/raccoon/raccoons.asp

I have used the havahart products to get squirrels out of my attic and it worked really well. Most of the squirrels don't even come in my yard anymore. They have sprays,pellets to put down on your property line or cages.

Kylo Ren
07-10-2005, 06:41 PM
How to kill a racoon:
If he's far away, use a rifle. If he's close, use a shotgun. Simple.

WilliamTheIrish
07-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Sounds to me like you need a better dog. One that will kill a coon.

Not as easy as it sounds.

Real coon dogs are awesome. But adult coons are strong mofo's. I've heard of them dragging good size dogs to tje nearest pond and drowning them.

Iowanian
07-10-2005, 06:42 PM
Brilliant Idea, for the Suburban homeowner...

Its obvious JSP, you need to hire the Guntherizershow to rope in from a chopper at take a chain gun to them...........

rrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Over-Head
07-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Sneak up behind them as they start to attack the "accidently left under the step garbage bag with left over sdunday dinner in it" and smash em' in the head with a pike pole while their eating a last supper :evil:

Coach
07-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Well, a silencer 9mm gun will solve it.

Bowser
07-10-2005, 07:25 PM
This looks like a perfect opportunity for jspchief and mohillibilly to become best friends!

:evil:

Old Guard
07-10-2005, 07:39 PM
I've traped lots of racoons in live traps in barns and out buildings. That way if you catch something you don't want to catch you can turn it loose. You can take the racoon out into the country and either shoot it or turn it loose. This also works on skunks, but you want to cover them when you approach the trap so you won't get sprayed.

Bwana
07-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Trap it, kill it, move on.

chiefs4me
07-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Throw moth balls all over your yard or along the fence line or under the house/porch.

Frazod
07-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Perhaps you should get a new dog that isn't as f#cking stupid as your current dog.

KChiefsQT
07-10-2005, 08:04 PM
Bang Bang!! :bang:

Nzoner
07-10-2005, 08:09 PM
This looks like a perfect opportunity for jspchief and mohillibilly to become best friends!

ROFL

Bwana
07-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Perhaps you should get a new dog that isn't as f#cking stupid as your current dog.

Oh now that's rep. ROFL

Rain Man
07-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Give it a smallpox-infected blanket. That's a proven method.

Bowser
07-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Give it a smallpox-infected blanket. That's a proven method.

The least you could do is loan out that trained bear you have in your backyard to jsp.

Rain Man
07-10-2005, 09:11 PM
The least you could do is loan out that trained bear you have in your backyard to jsp.

I've still never seen it. It must come at night.

Another potential idea for the raccoons would be to buy a mountain lion and let it loose. Your problems will be over.

Rain Man
07-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Perhaps I should point out something, too. If you kill one and then another one comes running out of the woods, don't kill it. It's probably a medic.

Skip Towne
07-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I think Frazod is probably right. Around here, the young guys coon hunt at night. They use dogs to tree the coon then shoot it. Coons are deathly afraid of dogs. They normally stay clear away from a house with a dog.

Slayer Diablo
07-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Trap it, throw it in a barrel, put a lid on tight, and burn it!!!

MOhillbilly
07-11-2005, 08:07 AM
this is what i use for live traps.

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/traps/page19.html

set the trap bait it w/ 2-3 eggs. place a 1in board inside the trap so that it lays against the lever in back.(this way the trap will spring up front)

cover trap w/ tarp or put it in a cardboard box anything so that the coon cant reach in from the sides.

if you catch one make sure to wear leather gloves and a longsleeve shirt when you dispose of it.(dont want rabies)

if you use a spring style trap set trap and hang the bait youll have better luck.

Skip Towne
07-11-2005, 08:15 AM
this is what i use for live traps.

http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/traps/page19.html

set the trap bait it w/ 2-3 eggs. place a 1in board inside the trap so that it lays against the lever in back.(this way the trap will spring up front)

cover trap w/ tarp or put it in a cardboard box anything so that the coon cant reach in from the sides.

if you catch one make sure to wear leather gloves and a longsleeve shirt when you dispose of it.(dont want rabies)

if you use a spring style trap set trap and hang the bait youll have better luck.
Do you fry or boil the eggs?

Saulbadguy
07-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Kill them with your bare hands.

Rain Man
07-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Do you fry or boil the eggs?

Eggs Benedict, with just a hint of worcestershire, and hash browns on the side.

Hammock Parties
07-11-2005, 08:33 AM
How dare you kill those sweet racoons! What are they doing to you that is so bad? Leave them alone. You are evil. Men! :shake:

htismaqe
07-11-2005, 08:34 AM
How dare you kill those sweet racoons! What are they doing to you that is so bad? Leave them alone. You are evil. Men! :shake:

Thank you PETA. Don't you have some dog carcasses to illegally dispose of? :D

HemiEd
07-11-2005, 08:35 AM

Exactly my thoughts, scary.

Hammock Parties
07-11-2005, 08:35 AM
Wait, wait....before Phobia can horn in on the moment.....

PUT OUT A BOWL OF ANTIFREEZE!!!

Hammock Parties
07-11-2005, 08:37 AM
My thinking at this time is to leave out an anti-freeze smoothie.

god dammit!!!

Hammock Parties
07-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Eggs Benedict, with just a hint of worcestershire, and hash browns on the side.

I've never heard of ANYONE putting worcestershire on eggs.

Ghostof
07-11-2005, 09:10 AM
"The obvious solution is to eliminate the racoons. What's not obvious is how to do it without discharging a gun within city limits"

THis is the best way possible and has worked several times for me.

Serious, as stupid as this sounds try it.

Get a hollow log, anything else wont hold their curiousity. Raccoons love shiny things. Seriously. What you do is cut a hole in the log and place some aluminum foil wrapped object small enough to fit in the hand of a raccoon. Let me finish and pay attention. You place this item in the hole and then add some type of barbs on the sides of the hole. The Raccoon, once it grasps the shiny object, will not release it. They will not drop the item and will hold on to it trying furiously to pull it out. the barbs around the opening of the hole are just for insurance in case you piss it off enough for it to attack you.

get a gunny sack and a cage, grab the raccoon and toss his ass in the cage

drive it on the outskirts of whereever and toss his ass in the river.

raccoons can swim, but seeing their facial expression flying through the air and splashing in the water is a kodak moment.

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I just let the dog out but you gotta have real dog to do that. Before that I used an R-1 air rifle 1000 fps. I shoot it from inside the house so it isn't very loud. Head shot takes them out every time.

Rain Man
07-11-2005, 10:25 AM
I've never heard of ANYONE putting worcestershire on eggs.

Heathen.

http://holiday.allrecipes.com/az/eggsbenedict.asp?fxnt=1

Amnorix
07-11-2005, 10:32 AM

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Hammock Parties
07-11-2005, 10:32 AM
I only eat fried, scrambled and soft boiled. And then scrambled are the only kind that need extra shit. I usually throw in cheese and a few drops of tabasco.

Rain Man
07-11-2005, 10:37 AM
I only eat fried, scrambled and soft boiled. And then scrambled are the only kind that need extra shit. I usually throw in cheese and a few drops of tabasco.

Actually, I never eat eggs benedict. My wife has had them occasionally, though.

I'm pretty much just an omelet guy myself. Scrambled in a pinch.

Amnorix
07-11-2005, 10:41 AM
"The obvious solution is to eliminate the racoons. What's not obvious is how to do it without discharging a gun within city limits"

THis is the best way possible and has worked several times for me.

Serious, as stupid as this sounds try it.

Get a hollow log, anything else wont hold their curiousity. Raccoons love shiny things. Seriously. What you do is cut a hole in the log and place some aluminum foil wrapped object small enough to fit in the hand of a raccoon. Let me finish and pay attention. You place this item in the hole and then add some type of barbs on the sides of the hole. The Raccoon, once it grasps the shiny object, will not release it. They will not drop the item and will hold on to it trying furiously to pull it out. the barbs around the opening of the hole are just for insurance in case you piss it off enough for it to attack you.

get a gunny sack and a cage, grab the raccoon and toss his ass in the cage

drive it on the outskirts of whereever and toss his ass in the river.

raccoons can swim, but seeing their facial expression flying through the air and splashing in the water is a kodak moment.

:spock:

http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/collections/1988-color/images/df1988-color-15.jpg

Oxford
07-11-2005, 01:59 PM
Not as easy as it sounds.

But adult coons are strong mofo's. I've heard of them dragging good size dogs to tje nearest pond and drowning them.

If you like your dog, don't let them tangle with a coon.

I have heard of this method..

In a deadfall log, bore a 1 1/2" hole around 6" deep
Drive nails at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 clock positions and at an angle so
the nail points protrude into the hole near the bottom.
Place some tinfoil in the bottom of the hole........

The idea being that there isn't anythng more stubborn than a coon.
He reaches in to grab the foil and as tries to pull out the paw the nails bite in and he's too stubborn the let go of the foil.

MOhillbilly
07-11-2005, 02:09 PM
If you like your dog, don't let them tangle with a coon.

I have heard of this method..

In a deadfall log, bore a 1 1/2" hole around 6" deep
Drive nails at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 clock positions and at an angle so
the nail points protrude into the hole near the bottom.
Place some tinfoil in the bottom of the hole........

The idea being that there isn't anythng more stubborn than a coon.
He reaches in to grab the foil and as tries to pull out the paw the nails bite in and he's too stubborn the let go of the foil.

what the deal is that hounds trail them to water and the coon will stand on there head. Ive seen it happen.
Ive never seen a coon haul a dog of anysize away to drown it.ROFL
though they are tough as hell.
i once put a dog on a coon and the coon bit to the gums and balled up on the dogs face.
had to go get another dog.:)

you can buy a springtrap at mfa/farm and homes for 15$

i caught one last week and put my pup on it,when i got a shot i blew its back legs off and the coon sat up and ate its own flesh.........

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2005, 02:40 PM
what the deal is that hounds trail them to water and the coon will stand on there head. Ive seen it happen.
Ive never seen a coon haul a dog of anysize away to drown it.ROFL
though they are tough as hell.
i once put a dog on a coon and the coon bit to the gums and balled up on the dogs face.
had to go get another dog.:)

you can buy a springtrap at mfa/farm and homes for 15$

i caught one last week and put my pup on it,when i got a shot i blew its back legs off and the coon sat up and ate its own flesh.........

My dog has hit coons 3 different times but didn't get a lock on any of them. They ran like hell.

Calcountry
07-11-2005, 02:51 PM
I've got a bit of a problem. The local racoons have decided my backyard is a good place to take a dump. Normally this wouldn't bother me much, because I can just scoop it along with the dog poo. The thing is, everytime I let my dog out, and there is a fresh pile of racoon poo, he decides he needs to roll around in it.

As you can imagine, a dog that just rolled in fresh racoon sh*t doesn't smell very good. In fact, it's enough to gag a maggot. Since it normally happens at night, or first thing in the morning, I'm repeatedly stuck with a dog that needs a bath at the most inconvenient times. If I shower him at night, I have a wet dog that needs to stay inside (stinking of wet dog) until the morning. Bathing him first thing in the morning isn't exactly convenient either. And in general, regardless of the time of day, I don't enjoy bathing a 85 pound ADHD Weimeraner.

The obvious solution is to eliminate the racoons. What's not obvious is how to do it without discharging a gun within city limits. I would prefer to snuff the life out from the rotten little bastards, in a slow painful way. I'm also open to suggestions on how to just keep them off my property, but I really would prefer it if they were dead.

My thinking at this time is to leave out an anti-freeze smoothie. The plus side would be eliminating any stray cats as well. The downside is the risk to dogs. I may also try spotlighting them at night. Problem being my pellet gun won't kill them, and I can't hold a spotlight while shooting a bow. Not to mention waving a spotlight in a residential area at night is bound to attract cops.

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions. I may even try and post some sort of progress report, with pictures of the enemy's corpses.Blast them with a shot gun. That won't work, how bout poison? No, well then, perhaps you get a bad ass Dog, I am sure Big D has a breed in mind. No, well then just grin and bear it then.

MOhillbilly
07-11-2005, 02:54 PM
My dog has hit coons 3 different times but didn't get a lock on any of them. They ran like hell.

i trap them and sometimes put them in the barn w/ the dog-dogs.
sometimes i just turn em loose in the barnyard w/ dog and shotgun in tow.

HC_Chief
07-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Spring traps work great and they're cheap. Coons love chicken... throw a drumstick bone w/ some meat on it in the trap & you'll catch 'em in no time. Just be sure to get a solid trap... one that can take abuse & isn't easy to open (they're smart little bastards).

Calcountry
07-11-2005, 02:59 PM
Big D, flush your mailbox regularly. Not doing so, leads to constipation.

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2005, 03:00 PM
A high powered air rifle will work great and won't get your neighbors all pissed.

MOhillbilly
07-11-2005, 03:01 PM
A high powered air rifle will work great and won't get your neighbors all pissed.

cause you shoot them?

BIG_DADDY
07-11-2005, 03:04 PM
cause you shoot them?

I'm just saying people are suggesting using a shotgun and that could get your neighbors all pissed if you are within the city limits. An air rifle gets the job done nice and easy without bringing the goon squad to your front door.

MOhillbilly
07-11-2005, 03:12 PM
I'm just saying people are suggesting using a shotgun and that could get your neighbors all pissed if you are within the city limits. An air rifle gets the job done nice and easy without bringing the goon squad to your front door.

only crazy people live in the city. In the country you can kill till your bloodlust is filled........and then some.

jiveturkey
07-11-2005, 03:19 PM
Find where the coon lives (rabbits will talk if given the right incentive) and then take a dump in his house.

Leave the dog at home, he may be tempted to roll in it and if your shit smells anything like mine then you'd probably prefer the coon smell.

HC_Chief
07-11-2005, 03:21 PM

Heh, shotguns do tend to have a bit louder report than air rifles ;)

Of course, that didn't stop me from blasting away at a crappy station wagon parked at my friends' house in a heavily populated urban neighborhood. Beer + guns + "hey, when is that dumbass going to fix that gawddamn car or have it towed?" thoughts @ 2AM, not far from the KBI office bld, tends to bring the 5-0 running. Oh, and helos. :D

Ghostof
07-11-2005, 03:30 PM
only crazy people live in the city. In the country you can kill till your bloodlust is filled........and then some.

Which is why if the Texas Holdem happens it will have to be in the city

Hammock Parties
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I have a coon in my garden right now. He won't move. I sprayed the ****er with a hose and poked him with a stick. He won't move.

kstater
02-04-2008, 05:20 PM
I have a coon in my garden right now. He won't move. I sprayed the ****er with a hose and poked him with a stick. He won't move.

So many ways to run with this, all would lead to being banned.

Frazod
02-04-2008, 05:44 PM

Try bullets.

Hammock Parties
02-04-2008, 05:45 PM
Try bullets.

Try cops.

Frazod
02-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Try cops.

Hmm... good point. I've had enough of those cocksuckers this weekend. :grr:

Demonpenz
02-04-2008, 06:57 PM
have you ever heard racoons fight? IT sounds like a gross between a cat being squashed in a trashcompactor and a bagpipe

Chiefmanwillcatch
02-04-2008, 07:32 PM
http://www.danvebber.com/museum/artifacts/raccoon.jpg

Bwana
02-04-2008, 07:56 PM
http://www.danvebber.com/museum/artifacts/raccoon.jpg

This is a prime example why you want to kill the little bastards. They WILL come into your yard and bone your dog. ROFL

Chief Faithful
02-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Spring traps work great and they're cheap. Coons love chicken... throw a drumstick bone w/ some meat on it in the trap & you'll catch 'em in no time. Just be sure to get a solid trap... one that can take abuse & isn't easy to open (they're smart little bastards).

They also love kittens. Two birds one stone.

Chief Faithful
02-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Put some Peanut Butter in the street and run them over.

Hammock Parties
02-04-2008, 09:44 PM
That ****ing Coon was playing possum! He wouldn't budge an inch when I was poking him and squirting him earlier. Now he's up and moving around, pissing off the dog and making her bark her head off.

HOW THE **** DO I KILL THIS SOB?

Eleazar
02-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Brilliant Idea, for the Suburban homeowner...

Its obvious JSP, you need to hire the Guntherizershow to rope in from a chopper at take a chain gun to them...........

rrrrRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Eleazar
02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
That ****ing Coon was playing possum! He wouldn't budge an inch when I was poking him and squirting him earlier. Now he's up and moving around, pissing off the dog and making her bark her head off.

HOW THE **** DO I KILL THIS SOB?

Go into the garage and find a garden tool or piece of sporting equipment such as a bat or a golf club. Beat the hell out of it.

You bergina

88TG88
02-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Throw some big rocks at its head.

Hammock Parties
02-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Go into the garage and find a garden tool or piece of sporting equipment such as a bat or a golf club. Beat the hell out of it.

You bergina

Raccoons are too cute to kill with my own hands. I couldn't live with myself.

Frazod
02-04-2008, 10:55 PM

You bergina

That certainly works on possums. I beat a couple of them to death with an old table leg.

I don't have any particular malice towards coons, though.

Demonpenz
02-04-2008, 11:01 PM
racoons get big and they tend to get in your trash making a mess. they get pretty damn big. I saw a couple of them go into a sewer one time and this one fat **** barely could fit in.

Frazod
02-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Seriously - if you want to kill it, quickly and quietly, try a crossbow. No restrictions on purchasing them - they even sell them on ebay.

blueballs
02-04-2008, 11:31 PM
It's about time for them to give birth
maybe she's looking for a sugar daddy

stonedstooge
02-04-2008, 11:32 PM
In Missouri you can call the conservation department and they will trap them for you. I don't know what you Iowegians have for a conservation department but I'd call them and ask about it.

blueballs
02-04-2008, 11:37 PM
Nick honor paternity leave

Mojo Rising
02-04-2008, 11:42 PM
I have been having a problem with either rats or possum in the backyard. They keep eating all of the oranges off of my tree. I have been using rat poison bars but they have only been a little effective.

I am trying a new strategy and will let you know if it's effective.

1/2 plaster of paris and 1/2 oatmeal. From what I hear the stomach juices harden the plaster while inside. If it doesn't work then I'll try anti-freeze.

btlook1
02-05-2008, 04:16 AM
Do you have a .22? If so get some .22 CB they are shorts that are very quiet to shoot. I have shot them off in town quite a few times never had a problem. Shooting from inside your door would help to if you can. They are a low powered .22 shell. That will fix your problem if you can hit him...if not try the trap if I was you put a rope on the trap and head to the nearest pond if you get him.

Abba-Dabba
02-05-2008, 04:47 AM

You bergina

Oh no, don't try this.

A raccoon will be up and down you, biting, clawing, scratching before you can say, "Oh Shit!"

When taking on a raccoon, think of taking on a very pissed off dog. Shoot the little fugger, dump him in a bag and throw in the trash.

Bwana
02-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Raccoons are too cute to kill with my own hands. I couldn't live with myself.

Hit it with pepper spray, I bet it hits the road chop chop.

Iowanian
02-05-2008, 08:03 AM

That is a sick animal. Its probably distempered. If you're in town, and can't shoot it, call animal control, because an animal like that can make pets sick.

On a side note, reading my past contribution I must correct myself. I'm a dumbass. A 110 conobear is a muskrat sized trap....220 are for racoon sized animals, 330 for beaver.

Something tells me goatchiefs will be confused when he sets a 330 with a twinkey by the spring down at Lane Giant.

J Diddy
02-05-2008, 08:16 AM
In Missouri you can call the conservation department and they will trap them for you. I don't know what you Iowegians have for a conservation department but I'd call them and ask about it.

shoot I had a bearsize one in my back yard, they told me to **** off and deal with it myself

HonestChieffan
02-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Coons come ther to eat not take a dump. Take away food source.

tooge
02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
I live on tyhe Missouri side, and I called the conservation dept once about some muskrats in the pond. They sent a guy out and he trapped them for free and hauled em off. You could try that, if in KS, then KDWP.com woudl be the place to start. Otherwize, just lace some cheese with rat poison and put it out for 2 or 3 nights.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-05-2008, 10:10 AM
I bought me one of these last year. It will solve your problem and provide lots of fun times. Don't know if they are legal where you live but they are in Texas.

http://www.awcsystech.com/badlander.html

It's a silenced .22 pistol , get the laser hand grip for it and you're in business.

Iowanian
02-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I know a guy that has a barrel full of water in his shop/garage. He sets out a live trap and when he gets an oppossum, racoon or other varmit that needs to go away, he quietly drops it into the barrel of water for a couple of minutes. Quiet and effective.

Its terribly cruel though and only a savage would harm an innocent mammal. Don't you know that there Cartoons of these lovable creatures!!?

KC Kings
02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
You can buy smaller versions of bear-trap clamp style traps and some smaller hardwares or TSC's, Feldmans, Orscheln, etc... Make sure the trap is on the outside of your fence, because if you trap one and your dog decides to investigate, a racoon would still be able to whip a dog being trapped down.

Just make sure it is racoon, and not some other mid-sized varmit. My grandmother had "groundhogs" under her house, and we set up a clamp-trap with the 12" chain it came with staked in the ground. It turned out to be a skunk, and not so easy to get rid of. By the 7th one we trapped we found out that if you hit is with 3 1/2" turkey mags you will kill it before it can spray, and blast it out of the trap.

If you live in the city, you can buy .22 shorts that don't make much noise. My brother shoots squirrels off of his birdfeeders, and they are so quiet he never draws any attention. Of course he lives in Ruskin, where gun fire is pretty common and doesn't usually draw too much attention.

Eleazar
02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
Oh no, don't try this.

A raccoon will be up and down you, biting, clawing, scratching before you can say, "Oh Shit!"

When taking on a raccoon, think of taking on a very pissed off dog. Shoot the little fugger, dump him in a bag and throw in the trash.

Shh!

I doubt there really was one anyway.

Skip Towne
02-05-2008, 11:28 AM
In Iowa, the conservation dept calls Iowanian to take care of it.

Midway Chief
02-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Try this; believe me it works:
Get a bowl and fill it with a coke. Add a handfull of fly pellets (the yellow granuals that you can spread around that kills flys; available at farm and home stores, ect.). The coons are attacted by the sweetness of the coke and the fly poison works fast on coons. It will be dead within sight of the bowl.

biggunns
02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
The live trap is the way to go use tuna as bait...

Iowanian
02-05-2008, 11:44 AM
In Iowa, the conservation dept calls Iowanian to take care of it.

Chuck Norris calls me when he's too scared to remove his own varmits.