PDA

View Full Version : Online Degree

foxman
07-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Folks,

I am trying to last another 6-8 years or so in my current career but am considering beginning some online courses for my next career. I havent made my final decision of course but I am leaning towards teaching for a couple of reasons and one of them is retirement benefits. So, anyone familier with any good online courses first of all and secondly what type of degree should I consider if I am considering teaching?

Thanks for the consideration.

4th and Long
07-11-2005, 08:02 PM
*singing* "Get your degree, your online degree, from National American University."

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Science teachers are a position of need almost everywhere. Well, unless you want to teach in KS. They don't teach science there ;)

FRCDFED
07-11-2005, 08:07 PM
I completed a significant portion of my degree via Internet based courses offered by Park University. You can access their homepage at www.park.edu.

The Internet based courses are 8 weeks long. When you go to their website you can see the various degrees offered online.

Good luck!!

Phobia
07-11-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah - the shelf life of a transvestite hooker is pretty short. I'd be surprised to see you get another 3 years, much less 6. I think classes are a great idea.

DaKCMan AP
07-11-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah - the shelf life of a transvestite hooker is pretty short. I'd be surprised to see you get another 3 years, much less 6. I think classes are a great idea.

Speaking of hookers...

Granny grows tired of prostitution at age 63 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050711/od_nm/germany_prostitute_dc;_ylt=AgN2B_RoPi9VQl238OZ7SFCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-)

it seems the shelf life has lengthened. Although I'm not sure the same is for the transvestite prostitute..

Bob Dole
07-11-2005, 08:10 PM
Many accredited colleges and universities have expanded their distance education programs to include affordable web-based courses, and you are no longer limited to places like University of Phoenix and Kaplan College.

Bob Dole would recommend starting your search with the state run universities in your state of residence. Many instituations offer very few or no lower level courses online, however, because they feel the campus experience and face-to-face interaction is an important part of the educational experience.

You might also encounter a shortage of education degree programs online. The classroom experience is sort of a basic function of the teaching profession...

DJay23
07-11-2005, 08:16 PM
The classroom experience is sort of a basic function of the teaching profession...

Ding Ding! You may be able to take some gen ed's online, but your core ed courses, plus whatever your cert is in will need coursework (unless you already hold a degree) that usually you can't take online.

If you already have a bachelors in something, you can go back for cert only in most places. This all depends on what your previous degree is in. You will need to take the state sanctioned certification test for teachers, which usually requires approval of an accredited university that you have completed the coursework for whatever cert you would like to go for.

I've never taken online courses, but i have friends who have and observing what they went through, I'd go for the classroom approach. I'm sure it's more a scheduling thing, but those online courses seem like quite a pain.

Fezzic
07-11-2005, 08:17 PM
http://www.elearners.com/online-degrees/bachelor/

That's a pretty good resource, and there are a lot of REAL schools with online Bachelor's and Master's programs (Gonzaga, Boston University, etc). I hooked up with Boston University to finish off the ol' Master's in IT: Information Security.

-Fezzic

Electric
07-12-2005, 08:08 AM
I have found that some disciplines that you may want to get a degree in may run you the same, or higher, in tuition and fees.

One priced the curriculum to me at $18,000 per year (two semesters). For that kind of money you can go to KU or KState and have a recognizable schools name on your degree. Accredited is a big thing with most employers. A degree from "Bubba's skool of nowlege" ain't goin' a cut it!!

Some of the online schools are "less than" acceptable for some employers. I was being interviewed by a large company that had narrowed it's search down to 3 of us, two had degrees one didn't. The interviewer actually made fun of the guys that tried to use other than accredited credentials. BTW, I got the job and was the one without a degree......24 years of experience seemed to sway them. Although I missed out on many places because they have the hard and fast rule that you must have a BSEE regardless of your project work.

Teaching would be a little different, but I'd go with the named schools if possible.

foxman
07-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the input, the problem is I work 8:30 AM to 9:00 PM most days and Saturday's from 8:30 to 7:00. I get most Tuesday's off, but I work enough of those to know I couldnt even commit to class on Tuesdays. We were open 3 Sundays last year so I am concerned even about commiting to a Sunday. Thats why online is so apealing. I contacted the Phoenix online school and as far as I can tell I can get a Masters degree in education with them in roughly 5 1/2 years at an estimated cost of 40K. The guy told me I would need to spend between 8 to 12 hours a week online, but it would be when ever I could do it.

My only other option is to refinance my house to lower the payment allowing me to do this the normal way, but in 6 or 7 years it will be paid off allowing me to focus on my childrens college. My goal was to be debt free by the time they go to High School and I will be close to that if I stay the course I am on. Of course this little 40K changes that a tad also. I don't know, it's a lot to consider.

Electric
07-12-2005, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the input, the problem is I work 8:30 AM to 9:00 PM most days and Saturday's from 8:30 to 7:00. I get most Tuesday's off, but I work enough of those to know I couldnt even commit to class on Tuesdays. We were open 3 Sundays last year so I am concerned even about commiting to a Sunday. Thats why online is so apealing. I contacted the Phoenix online school and as far as I can tell I can get a Masters degree in education with them in roughly 5 1/2 years at an estimated cost of 40K. The guy told me I would need to spend between 8 to 12 hours a week online, but it would be when ever I could do it.

My only other option is to refinance my house to lower the payment allowing me to do this the normal way, but in 6 or 7 years it will be paid off allowing me to focus on my childrens college. My goal was to be debt free by the time they go to High School and I will be close to that if I stay the course I am on. Of course this little 40K changes that a tad also. I don't know, it's a lot to consider.

I know that Phoenix is an online school that claims to be accredited but i sat in on a resume review for personnel on the last job I was working and the automatic kickout was online, Phoenix was actually the only online school that was mentioned.

You might try to contact some of the universities in your area for online classes. There might be a way to go that direction. I'm actually opting to cut loose from work and spend two years completing my BSEE or BSEET.

Good Luck.

Fat Elvis
07-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Speaking of hookers...

Granny grows tired of prostitution at age 63 (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050711/od_nm/germany_prostitute_dc;_ylt=AgN2B_RoPi9VQl238OZ7SFCs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3NW1oMDRpBHNlYwM3NTc-)

it seems the shelf life has lengthened. Although I'm not sure the same is for the transvestite prostitute..

i liked this line...

"What do you want here, you old whore, get lost," Dolle said they shouted at her. "What did I ever do to them?"

chagrin
07-12-2005, 09:19 AM
*singing* "Get your degree, your online degree, from National American University."

ROFL

if I may...

(singing)..."At Ayerrrrrrs, (then real fast) the future is now!"

DeepSouth
07-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Well, unless you want to teach in KS. They don't teach science there ;)
But they do make sure all graduates can articulate the following two phrases;

"Would you like fries with that?"

"Would you like to supersize that for 37 cents more?"