PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil radio show still in limbo

Mr. Laz
07-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Posted on Tue, Jul. 12, 2005
Jeffrey Flanagan

Vermeil’s radio show still in limbo

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Is there a trend developing with Kansas City managers and coaches not doing their traditional radio shows?

First it was Tony Peña, who quit his pregame show this season and then quit everything all together.

Now there are some whispers that Dick Vermeil may not do his Monday night coaches show, which had been on KCFX. And, of course, it’s widely believed that Vermeil, too, will ride off into the sunset after this season.

But hold on, says Chiefs public-relations director Bob Moore. Nothing is written in stone yet.

“Everything is still kind of up in the air,” Moore said. “We’re discussing a lot of possibilities about some type of show, possibly with other entities. And truthfully, we haven’t even discussed everything with Dick yet.

“I can’t say it’s going to be the traditional show with the coach at a certain venue each week. But I do think there will be some type of show involving coach Vermeil.”

Moore did confirm that the Chiefs’ contract with KCFX, the radio rights holder, does not require Vermeil to do a coach’s show.

Vermeil’s show last season on KCFX aired on Monday nights. The station sent out a release recently indicating a show called “Chiefs Kingdome” will air on Monday nights this fall.

The Chiefs had four players — Trent Green, Tony Gonzalez, Tony Richardson and Will Shields — voted among the top 99 “good guys in sports” by The Sporting News.

The magazine makes the selections from all sports based on an individual’s civic responsibility and character.

Former Metro Sports reporter Chad Harberts, who was entered in the World Series of Poker in Las Vegas, almost made it through the grueling first day of the tournament.

“I busted out in the 13th hour of the first day,” Harberts said by phone. “Because there were so many contestants they had to make the first day like 16 hours, much longer than I thought it would be. It was grueling.

“I got beat by a pair of kings. Oh, well. It was a great experience. These guys are really good.”

Another familiar name also is gone from the tourney — former Missouri Tigers punter Jared Gilpin, who is close friends with Justin Smith.

Oh, and this will make Chiefs fans smile: Shannon Sharpe busted out in the 13th hour of the first day, getting bested by pocket aces.

Remember Whitney Scott, the Northwest Missouri State grad and Lockwood native, who was a contestant last year on ESPN’s “Dream Job?” Scott eventually landed a job as a sports reporter with television station KSPR 33 in Springfield.

Word has it that Scott also will be host of a radio show in Springfield on the weekends on KWTO.

To reach Jeffrey Flanagan, call (816) 234-4492 and leave a message or email at jflanagan@kcstar.com

ct
07-12-2005, 12:22 PM
yawn...

sure can tell it's early july

ChiefsCountry
07-12-2005, 12:27 PM
About the Whitney Scott part, she has had a show on KWTO for a while now.

Phobia
07-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Who the hell listens to Vermeil's show anyway?

"Eric Hicks is a doggone good defensive end in this league, a good one. Our kicking game sucks. But Eric Hicks has a motor that doesn't quit."

He refuses to bash a 4 year underachiever, but absolutely blisters the players who are manning the most mental spot on the field. WTF?

Saulbadguy
07-12-2005, 12:45 PM
I like to call up the Vermeil show.

Phobia
07-12-2005, 12:47 PM
I like to call up the Vermeil show.

Me too. "Hi Dick - how does Eric Hicks' mouth feel?"

whoman69
07-12-2005, 12:52 PM
"Chiefs Kingdome?" Somebody needs to get their ass fired for that one.

shaneo69
07-12-2005, 07:59 PM
I hope they replace DV's show with a show that has Rufus reading e-mails from frustrated Chiefs' fans and then making smart-ass comments about the fact that the e-mailers take the game way too seriously. That would make for some good radio.

Of course they'd probably have to use a synthesizer to alter Rufus' voice so that nobody could figure out who he was.