PDA

View Full Version : What is the hardest pitch to hit?

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 01:41 PM
I've never played organized baseball at any level, but I can't hit a knuckleball to save my live on MVP Baseball 2005.

Poll forthcoming.

Braincase
07-12-2005, 01:43 PM
Spitball

ChiTown
07-12-2005, 01:46 PM
First of all, there aren't many amateur pitchers that can throw an effective knuckle pitch. It's extremely difficult to control, and to place. Pitchers that try that pitch can get severely punished as it can often just "float" over the plate. Can you say Homerun Derby, AKA batting practice?

I think the hardest pitch to hit is a nasty curveball from a hard throwing pitcher. Guys that can toss a great fastball, and have a nasty curve can throw you so off balance that you can literally screw yourself into the batters box. jmo

KChiefsQT
07-12-2005, 01:46 PM
The hardest pitch to hit is a well pitched slider(IMO).... otherwise I'd have to say a change-up.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 01:47 PM
First of all, there aren't manner amateur pitchers that can throw an effective knuckle pitch.

Tim Wakefield has been my nemesis on baseball games since I started playing them. I finally got to him last time I faced him. Going to throw slow, riding pitches, Tim? I'm going to steal all day long on your ass. 4321

Dremel
07-12-2005, 01:48 PM
Phil Nekro Sandpaper Nuckler Special

shakesthecat
07-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Orel Hershiser once said something to the effect of -The average person couldn't even catch a big league curveball, let alone hit one.

I agree with that.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 01:52 PM
Orel Hershiser once said something to the effect of -The average person couldn't even catch a big league curveball, let alone hit one.

I agree with that.

Orel's the man. He has single-handedly turned the Rangers pitching around in the last 3 years.

TRing
07-12-2005, 02:01 PM
The hardest pitch to hit is a 100 mph fastball on the black of the plate.... enough said

MOhillbilly
07-12-2005, 02:02 PM
the hardest pitch to hit is the one 40 ft outta the strike zone.

TRing
07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
to shay

gblowfish
07-12-2005, 02:03 PM
The Beanball.
Because it hits you.
Ask Don Zimmer.

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 02:04 PM
The hardest pitch to hit is a 100 mph fastball on the black of the plate.... enough said

followed by the straight change....toughest combo in baseball.

cadmonkey
07-12-2005, 02:05 PM
This is a tough question to answer with any sort of acurracy. This is completely depending on the type of pitcher you are facing.

If you are facing a hard throwing fastball pitcher, the hardest thing to do is try and hit his forkball. It looks like a fast ball but then shoots down about 5 feet in front of the plate.

If you are facing an off speed pitcher, like Wakefield, his fastball is is the hardest thing to hit because you are so used to a pitch coming at you 20 mphs slower so you can't pick up the speed as quick. Plus, these type of pitchers have little rhyme or reason behind when they pitch different speeds, so you are caught off gaurd.

The only reason why so many people say the knuckle is so hard to hit is because they don't see it often enough to practice it.

For my money, nothing is harder than a Forkball

cadmonkey
07-12-2005, 02:10 PM
followed by the straight change....toughest combo in baseball.

Wrong, high and tight fast ball followed by a low and outside off speed pitch. You have the batter shaken up a bit and is terrified to lean over the plate at all, and he is still thinking about that fastball that almost took his head off.

Nastiest combo that most pitchers can't do because they themselves are too scared to go high and tight now without being tossed out of the game and fined.

HemiEd
07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
for me it was the one that was moving

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 02:18 PM
Wrong, high and tight fast ball followed by a low and outside off speed pitch. You have the batter shaken up a bit and is terrified to lean over the plate at all, and he is still thinking about that fastball that almost took his head off.

Nastiest combo that most pitchers can't do because they themselves are too scared to go high and tight now without being tossed out of the game and fined.

If you can locate a 100mph fastball any where, then follow up with a Change up (offspeed of your choice, just as long as it still looks like a fastball) you are going to be a cy young canidate year in and year out. I am not talking about scaring your average hitters...even the best hitters look foolish being called out on a called strike three change.

cadmonkey
07-12-2005, 02:22 PM
If you can locate a 100mph fastball any where, then follow up with a Change up (offspeed of your choice, just as long as it still looks like a fastball) you are going to be a cy young canidate year in and year out. I am not talking about scaring your average hitters...even the best hitters look foolish being called out on a called strike three change.

I'm not saying to scare them into striking out. Even if it isn't chin music, but something in and fast, even low followed by something on the outside half of the plate will make them swing.

TRing
07-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Basically it's all about deception. Any pitch can be equally as deadly if the batter is thinking something else. Cadmonkey you are right to an extent, and so are you Dawson, but not every situation is scripted. If a hitter is looking low and away after he gets the heat high and tight, and that is where it is thrown.. well.... touch em' all

RedDread
07-12-2005, 02:27 PM
I always had a problem with a tailing fastball from a righty, one that starts over the plate and tails inside. It's so hard to do anything with that pitch

I think it's a 2 seam so that's what I voted for

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Francisco Cordero has the combo thing going. I've seen so many batters strike out on his slider as it dips out of the strike zone. They were thinking "here comes the 98 mph fastball in on my hands" and suddenly it takes a dive. I really like watching him pitch.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 02:34 PM
I always had a problem with a tailing fastball from a righty, one that starts over the plate and tails inside. It's so hard to do anything with that pitch

I think it's a 2 seam so that's what I voted for

Yes that is the same pitch. A few of these are similar. What's the difference between a palmball, a splitter, a forkball and a sinker? Just speed or what?

Dawson4004
Basically it's all about deception. Any pitch can be equally as deadly if the batter is thinking something else. Cadmonkey you are right to an extent, and so are you Dawson, but not every situation is scripted. If a hitter is looking low and away after he gets the heat high and tight, and that is where it is thrown.. well.... touch em' all

Could not have said that any better....Deception is the key. But I still dont care what anyone says...a 100mph fastball located that has some movement on it is damn near impossible to hit well.

TRing
Francisco Cordero has the combo thing going. I've seen so many batters strike out on his slider as it dips out of the strike zone. They were thinking "here comes the 98 mph fastball in on my hands" and suddenly it takes a dive. I really like watching him pitch.
if you get a chance, watch barry zito just kill people with his looping curve. It is one of the best in the majors (when it is working)

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
if you get a chance, watch barry zito just kill people with his looping curve. It is one of the best in the majors (when it is working)

He's a tough nut in MVP, too.

I was really impressed with Andy Pettite at the last real ballgame I went to. The Astros pen sucks apparently, so they left him in 8 innings and 120 pitches. He was dominant.

Miles
07-12-2005, 02:38 PM
I think it depends on how effective the pitcher is at making the particular pich and how it is set up.

For a single pitch Mariano Rivera's cut fastball comes to mind. 95mph and runs away from right handers and at the hands of lefties.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 02:39 PM
I think it depends on how effective the pitcher is at making the particular pich and how it is set up.

For a single pitch Mariano Rivera's cut fastball comes to mind. 95mph and runs away from right handers and at the hands of lefties.

I think the cut fastball is maybe my favorite pitch. No one on my MVP roster throws it though. :(

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Yeah Cut fastball is a filthy pitch. espically one that cuts late like Mariano Rivera's cut fastball does.

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Rogers Clemens' splitter is one of the nastiest pitches in real life...on MVP the hardest pitch to hit I would say is the Slider that breaks 10-4 that goes 90mph right after they throw the Curveball that breaks 10-4 that goes 70mphs.

Ghostof
07-12-2005, 02:49 PM
"What is the hardest pitch to hit?"

Your mom...oh wait....you said PITCH...

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Rogers Clemens' splitter is one of the nastiest pitches in real life...on MVP the hardest pitch to hit I would say is the Slider that breaks 10-4 that goes 90mph right after they throw the Curveball that breaks 10-4 that goes 70mphs.

Rob Nen throws that. I hate him.

TRing
07-12-2005, 02:53 PM

you're a piece of sh!t

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 02:55 PM

Wow that might have been the most insightful piece of info I have ever heard.

you're a piece of sh!t ROFL

David.
07-12-2005, 03:04 PM
I played HS baseball and the hardest pitch to hit for me was a good curveball. Not only do you have to re-adjust your swing to account for the speed, but the movement as well. Tough to do.

ROYC75
07-12-2005, 03:09 PM
I could hit anything thrown at me except a guy with a good circle change / curveball or a good knuckleball pitcher.

In my 2 years of Ban Johnson play, I only saw 1 good knuckleballer, even at that he wasn't as hard to hit as a good change up / curve ball .

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 03:16 PM
I could hit anything thrown at me except a guy with a good circle change / curveball or a good knuckleball pitcher.

In my 2 years of Ban Johnson play, I only saw 1 good knuckleballer, even at that he wasn't as hard to hit as a good change up / curve ball .

So really you couldnt hit anything thrown your way, JK. I would assume if you couldnt hit a Circle change or a curveball you had a tough time out there at the plate.

Miles
07-12-2005, 03:18 PM
http://majorleague3.warnerbros.com/img/haysbert.jpg

Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

Thig Lyfe
07-12-2005, 03:19 PM
I've never played organized baseball at any level, but I can't hit a knuckleball to save my live on MVP Baseball 2005.

Poll forthcoming.

Oh man, Tim Wakefield is a bitch and a half on that game.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 03:26 PM
http://majorleague3.warnerbros.com/img/haysbert.jpg

Bats, they are sick. I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid. I ask Jobu to come, take fear from bats. I offer him cigar, rum. He will come.

I say F*CK YOU Jobu. I do it myself! ROFL

ROYC75
07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
So really you couldnt hit anything thrown your way, JK. I would assume if you couldnt hit a Circle change or a curveball you had a tough time out there at the plate.

Nope, not at all, I always hit for a high average and had power to all alleys.

I probally just didn't explain it well enough. The toughest pitches for me were a good curve ball from a hard thrower. If he consistantly threw the heat, I was all over him, good hand/eye contact.

Most of the Ban Johnson players didn't have very good stuff, just a few of them did. BTA, we are talking about 1976 and 1977, a gopod time ago when pitchers didn't develope as fast as they do now. There are more HS teams with baseball, more of a chance for a player to develope year round instead of summer time only.

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Nope, not at all, I always hit for a high average and had power to all alleys.

I probally just didn't explain it well enough. The toughest pitches for me were a good curve ball from a hard thrower. If he consistantly threw the heat, I was all over him, good hand/eye contact.

Most of the Ban Johnson players didn't have very good stuff, just a few of them did. BTA, we are talking about 1976 and 1977, a gopod time ago when pitchers didn't develope as fast as they do now. There are more HS teams with baseball, more of a chance for a player to develope year round instead of summer time only.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying...I personally probably coundnt hit either a curveball or a change up if thats all they threw at me....hitting a baseball for a high average with power is probably one of the top 3 hardest things to do.

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
hitting a baseball for a high average with power is probably one of the top 3 hardest things to do.

Um...what kind of statement is this? ROFL

Say, is that harder or easier than flying? :)

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 03:53 PM

come on now...i am talking in sports...and again...i am betting that most pilots in the world cant hit a good 12-6 curve. And as for pitchers flying I dont care...

Hammock Parties
07-12-2005, 03:58 PM
come on now...i am talking in sports...and again...i am betting that most pilots in the world cant hit a good 12-6 curve. And as for pitchers flying I dont care...

ROFL

I agree, in sports it is probably up there. I think nailing a Hockey puck from across the ice into a gap between the goalies' pads and the net pipe takes some amazing skill, too.

TRing
07-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Where did this come from??? Flying?? What does that have anything to do with sports? Get outta here.

TRing
07-12-2005, 04:00 PM
oh and f*ck hockey

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 04:02 PM
ROFL
I agree, in sports it is probably up there. I think nailing a Hockey puck from across the ice into a gap between the goalies' pads and the net pipe takes some amazing skill, too.

I would say Playing QB in the NFL; hitting a baseball for power and a high average; and winning consistantly in the PGA. I hate hocky so I dont consider that one of the top three hardest things to do. But if I did like hocky I could imagine it being hard as hell.