PDA

View Full Version : If Warfield Sucks So Much Why All The Crying??

petegz28
07-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Ok I just went through the Warfield Suspended thread. All I ever hear or mostly what I hear on this board is how much Warfield sucks. Now all the sudden throughout that thread I saw whining and crying an d"Oh no we better sign Ty Law..." and such.

If Warfield sucks so much why the fuss? Obviously we won't miss him!

Personally I think Warfield is a good player.

David.
07-12-2005, 07:30 PM
he's decent.

KChiefsQT
07-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Ok I just went through the Warfield Suspended thread. All I ever hear or mostly what I hear on this board is how much Warfield sucks. Now all the sudden throughout that thread I saw whining and crying an d"Oh no we better sign Ty Law..." and such.

If Warfield sucks so much why the fuss? Obviously we won't miss him!

I always said we should sign law whether or not Warfield got suspended. If this is the "last string of chances to make the Superbowl" like so many believe it's GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 07:41 PM
why so much crying?...because we have Dexter and Benny as our back ups...thats why so much crying.

royr17
07-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Dexter is something to cry about, but Benny is not.

royr17
07-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Anytime Benny Sapp was in the game last year i was impressed with him.

DaKCMan AP
07-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Warfield will be an excellent #2 CB for us. He has improved tremendously over the past couple of seasons. He will be missed some the first 4 games and hopefully it wont hurt us.

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Anytime Benny Sapp was in the game last year i was impressed with him.

I agree about Benny Sapp...I think he has a chance to be a very soild CB, but I think if you are counting on him this year to step up and by a solid #2 guy then we might be in trouble. But I am equally impressed with Benny. In my dream world: Surtain #1 Law #2 Warfield #3 Sapp #4 and Battle #5...or vice versa for #4 and #5..depends on who has a better camp....

But in reality it will be Surtain #1 Ambrose #2 Sapp #3 Dexter #4
I dont think I am forgetting anyone...if I am help me out.

milkman
07-12-2005, 07:53 PM
The belief that Warfield sucks is not universal on the planet.

Some of us think he is a solid CB.

milkman
07-12-2005, 07:55 PM
I agree about Benny Sapp...I think he has a chance to be a very soild CB, but I think if you are counting on him this year to step up and by a solid #2 guy then we might be in trouble. But I am equally impressed with Benny. In my dream world: Surtain #1 Law #2 Warfield #3 Sapp #4 and Battle #5...or vice versa for #4 and #5..depends on who has a better camp....

But in reality it will be Surtain #1 Ambrose #2 Sapp #3 Dexter #4
I dont think I am forgetting anyone...if I am help me out.

I'm pretty sure that Sapp is going to have a better camp than Battle, since Battle is out for the season.

Skip Towne
07-12-2005, 07:56 PM
Because we suck? :shrug:

chief52
07-12-2005, 08:00 PM
The thing that really surprised me is how some people were shocked that he received a 4 game suspension. I thought the probability of that was extremely high. The Chiefs planned on it during practice...

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm pretty sure that Sapp is going to have a better camp than Battle, since Battle is out for the season.

Hints the "dream" scenario.

Valiant
07-12-2005, 08:17 PM
Cant he appeal the suspension time??? It is obvious that he should have been suspended last year, when it happened... Can the players union do anything??? Out of what the last 30 some odd suspensions for this it happened right after the incident, where does the commish get off waiting 7-8 months to suspend??? To me sounds like he should be able to pick when he is suspended...

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Cant he appeal the suspension time??? It is obvious that he should have been suspended last year, when it happened... Can the players union do anything??? Out of what the last 30 some odd suspensions for this it happened right after the incident, where does the commish get off waiting 7-8 months to suspend??? To me sounds like he should be able to pick when he is suspended...

I could be mistaken but I think he can appeal how long too. I dont know what the success rate is for appeals but worth a shot. I am wondering if being in the offseason they didnt feel the need to hurry. Who knows, but Eric got screwed, thinking this whole time you might not get any suspension or at least a minimum game suspension then 3 weeks before training camp starts...oh by the way Eric you cant play the first 4 games of the year....good luck.

milkman
07-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Hints the "dream" scenario.

OK, gotcha.

Didn't know if Battle was included in the "dream" scenario along with Law or not.

Valiant
07-12-2005, 08:27 PM
I could be mistaken but I think he can appeal how long too. I dont know what the success rate is for appeals but worth a shot. I am wondering if being in the offseason they didnt feel the need to hurry. Who knows, but Eric got screwed, thinking this whole time you might not get any suspension or at least a minimum game suspension then 3 weeks before training camp starts...oh by the way Eric you cant play the first 4 games of the year....good luck.

But if I recall right, he could have been suspended last year when we were out of it, but the league did not do it...If I were the Chiefs, the players Union and the fans I would be throwing a giant negative PR fight agianst Tag or whatever-the-hell his name is on his way of handling this situation...

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 08:29 PM
OK, gotcha.

Didn't know if Battle was included in the "dream" scenario along with Law or not.

He is if he plays well...and apparantly he was playing well enough for Dick because he had him running with the #1 D.

On a side note, I was at the practice that Battle went down in, and it happened right in front of us and you could see in his face as well as the trainers that it was something serious. I could not imagine tearing your achilles.

Wile_E_Coyote
07-12-2005, 08:31 PM
But if I recall right, he could have been suspended last year when we were out of it, but the league did not do it...If I were the Chiefs, the players Union and the fans I would be throwing a giant negative PR fight agianst Tag or whatever-the-hell his name is on his way of handling this situation...

Warfield had not appeared before a judge until after the season was done. I don't think the league could do much until then

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 08:31 PM

Yeah, I cant imagine them not fighting this because of how poorly the league handled this. But did the court ruling happen after the season, do you know? Because I dont know if the NFL waits until the court makes there ruling.

Dawson4004
07-12-2005, 08:33 PM
Warfield had not appeared before a judge until after the season was done. I don't think the league could do much until then

Great minds think alike?

So they probably didnt rush themselves because they knew they had all offseason to make the ruling.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-12-2005, 09:03 PM
I do to. He's actually one of my favorite players. He was my in my original avatar. He's not perfect by any means but I like his effort.

StcChief
07-12-2005, 09:07 PM
Great player with issues, especially when it come to partying......

Watch him like a hawk. Don't let bars/rest. let him leave period, this should be a complete non-issue for a man that makes this much money.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Great player with issues, especially when it come to partying......

Watch him like a hawk. Don't let bars/rest. let him leave period, this should be a complete non-issue for a man that makes this much money.
Money has nothing to do with having a dependancy problem. Ask Elvis and a million others.

chiefz
07-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I've thought Warfield has played pretty well the past couple of years considering.

tommykat
07-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Without reading all of this...........Warfield improved HUGE......he also or did you all forget??? that he drove when his friend couldn't. HUG MISTAKE, but he did. Just seems all want to call him a drunk etc, but he did rehab....how many here should do the same? Food for thought ey? ;)

whtgldwldr
07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Warfield isn't bad, he was one of our top tacklers last year AND one of the best tackling conerbacks in the league.

That being said, hes not an outstanding shut down corner. Thats what we got Surtain for. But as far as a number two goes, he will more than likely be a dominant force against all teams but those like Oakland (moss and porter) or Indy (The Harrison-Wayne combo). He, when actually playing, will be a more than sufficient force opposite the black hole that is surtain.

And in reference to wishing we had law, that would be amazing, but if we got him... not only would we have two of the highest payed corners in the league playing opposite one another, but we will have the single highest payed nickleback frickin ever in Warfield. It is not economically sound to get Law for the chiefs. Not when Warfield will do a sufficient job, as soon as he is allowed to do so.

CosmicPal
07-12-2005, 09:25 PM
Without reading all of this...........Warfield improved HUGE......he also or did you all forget??? that he drove when his friend couldn't. HUG MISTAKE, but he did. Just seems all want to call him a drunk etc, but he did rehab....how many here should do the same? Food for thought ey? ;)

Are you runk?

tommykat
07-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Are you runk?

:shake: Nope off to bed.....;)

Red Dawg
07-12-2005, 10:43 PM
I don't think he sucks. He's turned out to be pretty damn good.

Chiefnj
07-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I cant imagine them not fighting this because of how poorly the league handled this. But did the court ruling happen after the season, do you know? Because I dont know if the NFL waits until the court makes there ruling.

He entered his guilty plea in January.

Valiant
07-12-2005, 11:05 PM

They have suspended others before a court hearing, my understanding was the nfl did not act on the first two dwi's... They have suspended others before they were found guilty or pleaded guilty... The league could not have handled this case any worse then they did...

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-12-2005, 11:26 PM
I'm not worried, but I am a homer. I believe Ashley or Dexter will fill in and do enough to win 2-3 of the first 4 games. When Warfield comes back, Dexter can move to Nickel where I think he will have a solid season.

jspchief
07-13-2005, 05:18 AM
Money has nothing to do with having a dependancy problem. Ask Elvis and a million others.Dependancy didn't get him suspended. Getting behind the wheel after drinking did. And having money makes it much easier to get an alternate ride home. I think that's what nm_dbf was getting at.

DaWolf
07-13-2005, 05:36 AM
Obviously I've never been a Warfield fan but the past two years he has actually become a pretty decent cornerback and had some standout games like the one against Buffalo. I'll be interested to see how he does this year as with Surtain he'd go back to being the 2nd corner and the one teams are likely to go after the most. At times I'm still not impressed with what I percieve (and this could be a mistaken perception on my part) to be his lack of toughness and intensity, and his inconsistent focus.

I give Warfield credit. I used to call him our $30 mil dime back, but he has turned himself into what I would consisder a solid 2nd corner. If his mind and focus matched the physical talents he has, there'd be no limits to how good he could be. That being said, having a Ty Law would really turn this secondary from one with little proven depth to one which would have two top notch starters and our nickel back would be a proven 3rd starter, with McBurnon moving down the chart. After Sexy Dexy's performance last year it has me nervous thinking he's next in line along with Ambrose to start. And with the recievers we have to defend this year and, hopefully, in the playoffs, having solid corners would be important. Because let's face it, we don't have the best pass rush in the world, and as much as people like Gunther, he is no Bill Bellichik...

Brock
07-13-2005, 08:22 AM
>bad≠good

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 08:54 AM
The people who say Warfield sucks just don't know wtf they're talking about. He has been the best defender on our team over the past few seasons... teams don't try him very often anymore. That's partially because there have been bigger weaknesses to exploit, but mostly because he can <b>play</b>.

Some tools started railing on him when he started at CB and after he received the fat contract. Now that he has learned the position (remember, he is a converted safety) and really excelled, only the dipshits who parrot what they've heard say he "sucks".

Brock
07-13-2005, 09:06 AM
The people who say Warfield sucks just don't know wtf they're talking about. He has been the best defender on our team over the past few seasons... teams don't try him very often anymore. That's partially because there have been bigger weaknesses to exploit, but mostly because he can <b>play</b>.

Some tools started railing on him when he started at CB and after he received the fat contract. Now that he has learned the position (remember, he is a converted safety) and really excelled, only the dipshits who parrot what they've heard say he "sucks".

I don't necessarily think Warfield sucks, I just think he's very average. He doesn't seem to possess any kind of football smarts.

I don't believe the team will miss him at all.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-13-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't necessarily think Warfield sucks, I just think he's very average. He doesn't seem to possess any kind of football smarts.

I don't believe the team will miss him at all.
I have to disagree. There was a period there early last season when he became one of those guys you EXPECTED to get an interception sometime during the game. IIRC he picked one off in the first 3 or 4 games. I think he was on his way to becoming a "shutdown" corner. Is he Ty Law or Pat Surtain... no. But I think he's above average. I hadn't gotten that feeling that a Chiefs CB WOULD make a difference in a game with a turnover in a while.

ptlyon
07-13-2005, 09:21 AM
I don't necessarily think Warfield sucks, I just think he's very average.

Boy, if he is "very average" then our whole defense in the past three years really sucked.

Brock
07-13-2005, 09:24 AM
Boy, if he is "very average" then our whole defense in the past three years really sucked.

No way.

jspchief
07-13-2005, 09:26 AM
Boy, if he is "very average" then our whole defense in the past three years really sucked.In other news... Water is wet. More at ten.

RedThat
07-13-2005, 09:49 AM
I like Warfield, I think he is a very solid #2 corner. I do think he lacks certain intangibles to make him an elite cover corner though. Dawolf, is right. At times, he lacks toughness, intensity, and inconsistent focus. I would also like to add, that, he needs to clean up his act off the field. Having several DUI convictions can set him back, and DID! Those are his weaknesses imo. Like Beer me said, he's not perfect and that's fine. On the other hand, I'm very satisfied with him simply because he has grown at the CB position, and keeps showing steady progress year after year. We all remember, he's converted from safety to cornerback. That is a big jump, and as a fan I appreciate his patience, persistence, and just the way he managed to handle that change.

If I were the Chiefs, I would still go after Law. And here are my reasons why:

-Ty Law is better than Warfield hands down. He easily makes our defense better.

-Ty Law came from a championship program in New England. He has championship experience(3x SB champion). We could use that.

-He simply fits the mold of another James Hasty, Dale Carter. Basically, he can do everything Gunther likes and could ask for from a CB. He fits the scheme real well, and is Gunthers type of corner. Would you guys like to see another Hasty, Carter CB tandem? I would. Especially this year!

-Having Ty Law would easily give us the best CB tandem in the league, and possibly the best NB in the league. Signing Ty Law would easily solidify the starting CB's and depth. Imagine Surtain, Law as our starting corners? Then to top that off Warfield, and Ambrose as our Nickle and Dime backs? Bring on any team Sunday!

-Adding another top CB not only helps our coverage units, it also improves our pass rush because it gives the D-line more time to rush. And, it enables us to take more chances on blitzes. Ty Law would not only improve our secondary, he can make the 10 guys around him better. Think about it? When we had Carter, and Hasty, we could leave them on islands 1-on-1 with the best receivers. We could play a lot more press man-to-man coverages and utilize the LBing speed on blitzes a lot more. That is what I want to see again. Get a player like Law can enable Gunther to get back to his old ways, and makes his life a lot easier. That way he could do the things he always wanted to do on defense.

PHOG
07-13-2005, 10:00 AM
So I have a question..

Since Warfield will miss (barring a successful appeal) 4 games, and that he will loose out on 3/4 of a mil in salary, are the Chiefs awarded that amount towards their salary cap? :shrug:

milkman
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I like Warfield, I think he is a very solid #2 corner. I do think he lacks certain intangibles to make him an elite cover corner though. Dawolf, is right. At times, he lacks toughness, intensity, and inconsistent focus. I would also like to add, that, he needs to clean up his act off the field. Having several DUI convictions can set him back, and DID! Those are his weaknesses imo. Like Beer me said, he's not perfect and that's fine. On the other hand, I'm very satisfied with him simply because he has grown at the CB position, and keeps showing steady progress year after year. We all remember, he's converted from safety to cornerback. That is a big jump, and as a fan I appreciate his patience, persistence, and just the way he managed to handle that change.

If I were the Chiefs, I would still go after Law. And here are my reasons why:

-Ty Law is better than Warfield hands down. He easily makes our defense better.

-Ty Law came from a championship program in New England. He has championship experience(3x SB champion). We could use that.

-He simply fits the mold of another James Hasty, Dale Carter. Basically, he can do everything Gunther likes and could ask for from a CB. He fits the scheme real well, and is Gunthers type of corner. Would you guys like to see another Hasty, Carter CB tandem? I would. Especially this year!

-Having Ty Law would easily give us the best CB tandem in the league, and possibly the best NB in the league. Signing Ty Law would easily solidify the starting CB's and depth. Imagine Surtain, Law as our starting corners? Then to top that off Warfield, and Ambrose as our Nickle and Dime backs? Bring on any team Sunday!

-Adding another top CB not only helps our coverage units, it also improves our pass rush because it gives the D-line more time to rush. And, it enables us to take more chances on blitzes. Ty Law would not only improve our secondary, he can make the 10 guys around him better. Think about it? When we had Carter, and Hasty, we could leave them on islands 1-on-1 with the best receivers. We could play a lot more press man-to-man coverages and utilize the LBing speed on blitzes a lot more. That is what I want to see again. Get a player like Law can enable Gunther to get back to his old ways, and makes his life a lot easier. That way he could do the things he always wanted to do on defense.

If Warfield plays nickel against the slot, then the masses will once again rail about Warfield's level of suckage.

When asked to give a receiver space, rather than line up on the LOS and jam the receiver at the snap, Warfield is toast.

That's why he is perceived to have sucked in the years under Spinner.
He's not versatile enough to switch up and make plays when the receiver is allowed to run the route unimpeded at the snap, like the slot receiver.