PDA

View Full Version : Misc Top 10 amusement parks

Goapics1
07-13-2005, 09:34 AM
msn.com has ranked the 10 top theme parks in their opinion. Which one is your favorite?

Hammock Parties
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Those money traps all suck. Every single last one of them.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Silver Dollar City isn't bad, actually. I'd go with that place.

Dartgod
07-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Link?

Phobia
07-13-2005, 09:38 AM
Link?

Only because tommykat is sure to see this later....

http://www.msn.com

HemiEd
http://special.msn.com/local/funinthesummersun.armx?GT1=6727

Dr. Johnny Fever
Amusement parks don't amuse me. I only go for the kids.. To take my kids that is.

Dartgod
07-13-2005, 09:39 AM
Never been there, but I would think Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH would have to be the best. They have what, 15 roller coasters now? What other reason is there to go to these places other than the coasters?

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 09:40 AM
Joyland in Wichita. :)

Goapics1
07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Never been there, but I would think Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH would have to be the best. They have what, 15 roller coasters now? What other reason is there to go to these places other than the coasters?

It is great. We went over Memorial Day weekend. The Top Fuel Dragster roller coaster is the best I have ever been on. Goes 120mph and is over in 20 seconds. Speed rush galore.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
I've only been to 4 of them, but I voted the Cedar Point. I've always wanted to go there.

Plus, I think The 6 Flags near San Antonio is better than Astroworld. I used to have a tradition with some of my Houston friends where we went to that 6 Flags the day after all the kids go back to school each summer. It was awesome.

oaklandhater
07-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Those money traps all suck. Every single last one of them.

I would hardly call Santa Cruz Boardwalk a money trap more like a dirt trap or aka homeless/drugaddicts trap

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 09:43 AM
I voted for Disneyworld only because it's one of the few I've ever been to. These places are heaven when you're 12, but as an adult there's not a whole lot of attraction.

I remember just being crazed with glee at going to these places as a kid, and then I remember going with a friend to Six Flags near St. Louis when I was 18. It was very disturbing to me to come back and realize deep in my heart that it just wasn't that fun any more. I think that day was my first step toward old fogeydom.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
Steal your Dollar city? Its fun if you are a cuuuun-try fella, and like rodeos and crap like that.

My favorite is Disney World (Magic Kingdom in this case).

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 09:44 AM
<a href="http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/ioa_landing.html">Islands of Adventure</a>: Orlando, FL

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 09:45 AM
If you want to DIE!!!

Actually, they closed Joyland. They are looking for buyers now.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 09:46 AM
I voted for Disneyworld only because it's one of the few I've ever been to. These places are heaven when you're 12, but as an adult there's not a whole lot of attraction.

I had more fun at Disney World this time (at age 24) than I did when I was 11 years old. I don't know why, but I guess it made me feel like a kid again. I'm planning on going back real soon.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2005, 09:46 AM
Steal your Dollar city? Its fun if you are a cuuuun-try fella, and like rodeos and crap like that.

I always liked the shows they put on and all the arts and crafts stuff was cool. My relatives are all midwest hicks (Iowa and Missouri) so I went a couple times.

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Worlds of Fun has a RESORT now. I wonder how they plan on making money with that.

sd4chiefs
07-13-2005, 09:49 AM

You have to have lots of tattoos and missing teeth to get in there.

BigMeatballDave
07-13-2005, 09:50 AM
I'd have to go with Cedar Point. Its the only park mentioned that I've been too.

Useless info: Cedar Point is owned by a company named Cedar Fair that owns several parks including Worlds of Fun in Kansas City...

Ghostof
07-13-2005, 09:52 AM

How Ironic, thats the requirement to bang your mom

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 09:54 AM
If you want to DIE!!!

Actually, they closed Joyland. They are looking for buyers now.

Things sure change, when I was growing up they had two amusement parks, the other was "KiddieLand." Joyland was the nice one.

Goapics1
07-13-2005, 10:04 AM
U R A DIPSHIT. Go away.

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/011018/hunchback.jpg

bkkcoh
07-13-2005, 10:05 AM
I always liked the shows they put on and all the arts and crafts stuff was cool. My relatives are all midwest hicks (Iowa and Missouri) so I went a couple times.

Hasn't almost everyone from Missouri, with the possibility of some of the St. Louis residents. :banghead:

Heck, I have actually been there 3 or 4 times..

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 10:30 AM

So was she good?

Katipan
07-13-2005, 10:32 AM
I grew up working at Six Flags in Los Angeles.

Awesome way to spend teenage years.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 10:40 AM
So you were kind of a non-nomadic carnie, mer?

Bearcat
07-13-2005, 10:42 AM
Islands of Adventure (http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/ioa_landing.html): Orlando, FL

You can always count on amusement park polls to do two things.... mention Camp Snoopy only because it's indoors, and exclude Islands of Adventure.

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 10:48 AM
You can always count on amusement park polls to do two things.... mention Camp Snoopy only because it's indoors, and exclude Islands of Adventure.

Why is that? IOF is a frigging blast... the Spiderman ride is quite possibly the greatest non-rollercoaster coaster ever :D

Katipan
07-13-2005, 10:50 AM
So you were kind of a non-nomadic carnie, mer?

Every morning I'd have to pick up my bright blue pants, a red and white striped shirt, and a red bow tie from wardrobe.

But I can toss a fugging ring around a bottle better than anyone.

CoMoChief
07-13-2005, 10:51 AM
Me and some of my buddies all took a road trip a few years ago in a van to Sandusky, Ohio to go to Cedar Point. We drove up one day, next day went to the park from open to close, then the next day we drove back to KC. It was by far the best Amusement Park I have ever been to. There's around 15 roller coasters, in which about 12 of them are better than any roller coaster ar WOF. The other 3 are either little kids rides or the really old ones from the 50's and 60's. They have a roller coaster there that puts the Mamba to shame called the Millenium Force. It's 315ft. tall (compared to Mamba's 205ft.) and it runs approx. 95-100mph (compared to Mamba's 75mph). At night time they leave the track completely dark and when you're at the top of the first drop you cant see the track but for only 20ft. down. They have 3-4 roller coasters that are inverted and around 4 of them that are like the Orient Express but better and a few wooden ones. This is by far the best theme park I have been to. Universal Studios Islands of Adventure come in at a close 2nd, only because of the Incredible Hulk roller coaster. If there are 3 roller coasters in the US you must ride. The very best one is in California somewhere, where theres a new Superman rollercoaster where they tip you over like your flying in the air like Superman. I havent ridden that one (yet) but I saw it on Discovery Channel. The Hulk and the Millenium Force though are awesome roller coasters.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 10:53 AM
Every morning I'd have to pick up my bright blue pants, a red and white striped shirt, and a red bow tie from wardrobe.

But I can toss a fugging ring around a bottle better than anyone.

I would just like to take a moment to nominate the amusement park "Mer" as an other vote in this poll. I've been to Mer and enjoyed some great rides.

Katipan
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I would just like to take a moment to nominate the amusement park "Mer" as an other vote in this poll. I've been to Mer and enjoyed some great rides.

zero to psycho in 3.5 seconds, baby.

Electric
07-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Islands of Adventure (http://themeparks.universalstudios.com/orlando/website/ioa_landing.html): Orlando, FL

I agree with Islands of Adventure. But I've got to say that I've only been to three of the parks listed.

Busch Gardens
Disney Land
Disneyworld (Magic Kingdom) MGM Grand, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom,

Universal Studios Florida (http://orlando.citysearch.com/profile/11279889/orlando_fl/universal_studios_florida.html?) seems to have plenty to keep your heart pumping. IOA is part of Universal and has Incredible Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Jurassic Park, and a few other less intense rides. Spiderman is good, Popeye's Bilge Raft ride is OK, Dudley Dooright is fun, especially if you are riding with some hot women that enjoy getting wet!!!

Bearcat
07-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Why is that? IOF is a frigging blast... the Spiderman ride is quite possibly the greatest non-rollercoaster coaster ever :D

I have no idea... I had a blast when I went. The two things that stuck out to me were Spiderman and the Hulk rollercoaster.... Granted, I haven't been on many of the so-called best coasters on the world, I hadn't ever been on a coaster that accelerated so well out of each turn.

DJay23
07-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I had to go with Disney World because it's the only one on the list I've been to.

My favorite though, is Hershey Park in Hershey, PA. No, it's not the most incredible place you'll ever go, but it's got a good mix of older rides and big fancy new ones. They've also got a small zoo next door, and Chocolate World, where you go on a tour of a chocolate factory.

Rain Man
07-13-2005, 11:24 AM
zero to psycho in 3.5 seconds, baby.

I run whenever I start hearing, "clack clack clack clack..."

Nzoner
07-13-2005, 05:51 PM
It is great. We went over Memorial Day weekend. The Top Fuel Dragster roller coaster is the best I have ever been on. Goes 120mph and is over in 20 seconds. Speed rush galore.

That was the first ride I rode there and the last for the better part of 5 hours.

penchief
07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
I've been to Disney, Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, and Six Flags. But I have to say that, for me, the most pleasant surprise was Hershey Park. As a PA resident, I've always heard of Hershey Park but never visited until several years ago.

IMO, it is on par with all of the above.

Calcountry
07-13-2005, 06:22 PM
I would hardly call Santa Cruz Boardwalk a money trap more like a dirt trap or aka homeless/drugaddicts trapROFLYes, I was stunned by its inclusion on the list.

Speaking of traps, I was literallly trapped there once when the marine layer rolled in a couple of hours early and ruined a nice sunny day. EVERYONE attempted to leave at the same time, and it was a gridlock getting on Highway 1.

DJay23
07-13-2005, 06:53 PM
I've been to Disney, Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, and Six Flags. But I have to say that, for me, the most pleasant surprise was Hershey Park. As a PA resident, I've always heard of Hershey Park but never visited until several years ago.

IMO, it is on par with all of the above.
Where in PA are you a resident?

My personal favorite ride is the Great Bear, but the Wildcat is a close second.

|Zach|
07-13-2005, 06:55 PM
Dude.....

C'mon.

|Zach|
07-13-2005, 06:56 PM
World's Of Fun not number 1?!?!?!

The media hates Kansas City! Damn Peter King!

Heh.

jiveturkey
07-13-2005, 06:56 PM
Worlds of Fun has a RESORT now. I wonder how they plan on making money with that.They've had good results from the RV park and the cabins and they haven't even completed the entire complex yet.

They also started construction on a new coaster for next year. It's supposedly an invert and the constuction area looks quite large.

Frazod
07-13-2005, 06:59 PM
I've been only been to a few - Six Flags Mid America, Worlds of Fun, Disney World and Six Flags Great America.

Of those limited choices, I'd have to go with Six Flags Great America. Has the best rides.

jiveturkey
07-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I also voted for Cedar Point. My wife and I are coaster nerd and make an annual trip up that way. The WoF pass gets us in for free and with direct flights to Cleveland it's a no brainer. The same pass also gets us into the park in Cleveland (Geauga Lake).

16 coasters and 3 of them have been world records when they first opened. Cedar Point was the first to top 200', 300' and 400'.

Thig Lyfe
07-13-2005, 07:04 PM
No Silver Dollar City? This is an outrage.

Their funnel cakes are excellent.

chop
07-13-2005, 07:05 PM
I didn't vote but I do plan on going to Cedar point this year. It's only three hours away but I haven't been. The kids are getting old enough now to enjoy this type of park.

penchief
07-13-2005, 07:47 PM
Where in PA are you a resident?

My personal favorite ride is the Great Bear, but the Wildcat is a close second.

Wellsboro, Pa. About 50 miles north of Williamsport. God's Country. The endless mountains. Home of the Laurel Festival.

Funny you should mention the Great Bear. My daughter convinced me to ride it with her in hopes that she could break me of my roller coaster phobia. It worked. I rode all of Hershey's roller coasters twice that day and I overcame my fears. I've never had more fun at an amusement park. It was liberating.

DJay23
07-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Wellsboro, Pa. About 50 miles north of Williamsport. God's Country. The endless mountains. Home of the Laurel Festival.

Funny you should mention the Great Bear. My daughter convinced me to ride it with her in hopes that she could break me of my roller coaster phobia. It worked. I rode all of Hershey's roller coasters twice that day and I overcame my fears. I've never had more fun at an amusement park. It was liberating.
Wow! I actually went to Williamsport High School and now live in Trout Run! So when you say God's country, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I teach in MOntoursville and we took our kids on a field trip to Harrisburg and then Hershey Park. I broke one of the kids in my chaperone group of his roller coaster fear too. The only one he WOULDN'T ride was the Great Bear.

runnercyclist
07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Just went to Kings Island in Cincinnati. Amusment park was lame. They did have two of the worlds largest wooden roller coasters. But I hate wooden roller coasters, they just jerk the shit out of you.

Hershey park is the best. Great coasters and water rides and chocolate for the women.

Kennywood is OK for Pittsburgh and Cedar Point rocks!

Bowser
07-13-2005, 08:34 PM
No Adventureland in Ankeny, Ia.? This poll is crap.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 08:52 PM
No Adventureland in Ankeny, Ia.? This poll is crap.

Heh heh. That's what I grew up on. Adventureland, WOF, 6 Flags StL, and whichever Disney is in Anaheim. My old man wouldn't spend a nickel anytime but family vacation.

Hog Rider
07-13-2005, 09:00 PM
No Kiddieland on Wornal or Fairyland, or even the old Electric Park. My how times change.

HemiEd
07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
My old man wouldn't spend a nickel anytime but family vacation.

ROFL I can relate, and there were not many of them.

Mosbonian
07-13-2005, 09:32 PM
I"ve been to all of the above Parks except Cedar Point & Astroland....I will admit to a bias but DisneyWorld is still good entertainment to me and gets my vote.

One thing I cannot fathom is how Paramount's Carowinds made the list...it's almost as bad as going to a County Fair...only larger.

mmaddog

luv
07-14-2005, 12:21 AM

They don't hold rodeos at SDC. You ever been there?

Rausch
07-14-2005, 12:39 AM
My old man wouldn't spend a nickel anytime but family vacation.

My old man was the type that refused to let you stop and piss.

"We're only 7 hours from ****ing Disneyworld! We've been on the road for 20 hours already. You can hold it..."

Logical
07-14-2005, 02:55 AM
I would say it would have to be Magic Mountain (Six Flags affiliate) just slightly North of LA.

Goapics1
07-14-2005, 06:38 AM
"We're only 7 hours from ****ing Disneyworld! We've been on the road for 20 hours already. You can hold it..."

My old man was the same way. Dammit, I'm the exact same now.

penchief
07-14-2005, 06:42 AM
Wow! I actually went to Williamsport High School and now live in Trout Run! So when you say God's country, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I teach in MOntoursville and we took our kids on a field trip to Harrisburg and then Hershey Park. I broke one of the kids in my chaperone group of his roller coaster fear too. The only one he WOULDN'T ride was the Great Bear.

Wow is right! We're neighbors. I guess it is a small world.

Those mountains down in your area are some of the most beautiful in the world. There's a pure, untouched, lush quality to the area we live in that you just can't find anywhere else. I've traveled all over this country by car and by foot and I'm convinced of that fact.

Just a couple weeks ago I watched huge black bear (I'd guess about 400 lbs.) a 100 yards out in the field walk parallel to the road for about 30 minutes. It was like a circus attraction. Cars were pulling off and I was passing my binoculars around. The bear acted as though he didn't have a care in the world. Every once in a while he'd turn his head and look as if he was wondering what all the commotion was.

By the way, my sister lived in Trout Run for several years.

DJay23
07-14-2005, 07:03 AM
Wow is right! We're neighbors. I guess it is a small world.

Those mountains down in your area are some of the most beautiful in the world. There's a pure, untouched, lush quality to the area we live in that you just can't find anywhere else. I've traveled all over this country by car and by foot and I'm convinced of that fact.

Just a couple weeks ago I watched huge black bear (I'd guess about 400 lbs.) a 100 yards out in the field walk parallel to the road for about 30 minutes. It was like a circus attraction. Cars were pulling off and I was passing my binoculars around. The bear acted as though he didn't have a care in the world. Every once in a while he'd turn his head and look as if he was wondering what all the commotion was.

By the way, my sister lived in Trout Run for several years.
Small world indeed. It's rare to run into people AROUND HERE who have lived in Trout Run, much less on the internet.

I agree about the mountains. They really cool things off. When I go running, one of the roads I take has Lycoming Creek on one side and a mountain on the other with lots of trees. The temp is probaly 5 degrees cooler on that one road than the rest of the town.

One of my favorite things to do on a sunny mild day is to hike up a mountain up here. I also like to go to Rock Run or Rickett's Glen for a day. It is beautiful here.

penchief
07-14-2005, 11:39 AM
Small world indeed. It's rare to run into people AROUND HERE who have lived in Trout Run, much less on the internet.

I agree about the mountains. They really cool things off. When I go running, one of the roads I take has Lycoming Creek on one side and a mountain on the other with lots of trees. The temp is probaly 5 degrees cooler on that one road than the rest of the town.

One of my favorite things to do on a sunny mild day is to hike up a mountain up here. I also like to go to Rock Run or Rickett's Glen for a day. It is beautiful here.

I've been to Rock Run, my friend. I went swimming in a nice little swimmin' hole there with my sister and her boyfriend. Coldest damn water I ever experienced. Felt like a million bucks afterwards, though. If you've never been to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon you ought to go sometime. It's quite a scenic view.

I also do a good bit of hiking and running. Something about nature that really helps keep my feet on the ground.

DJay23
07-14-2005, 11:58 AM
I've been to Rock Run, my friend. I went swimming in a nice little swimmin' hole there with my sister and her boyfriend. Coldest damn water I ever experienced. Felt like a million bucks afterwards, though. If you've never been to the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon you ought to go sometime. It's quite a scenic view.

I also do a good bit of hiking and running. Something about nature that really helps keep my feet on the ground.
I heard that.

I actually try not to go to Rock Run unless it's a REALLY hot day. It's so much cooler there. I've never actually gotten in that water, but from stepping in it, I can tell there would be significant shrinkage.

Never been to the Grand Canyon, but everyone tells me I should.

penchief
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
I heard that.

I actually try not to go to Rock Run unless it's a REALLY hot day. It's so much cooler there. I've never actually gotten in that water, but from stepping in it, I can tell there would be significant shrinkage.

Never been to the Grand Canyon, but everyone tells me I should.

If you go to the Grand Canyon, the Leonard Harrison State Park side has two scenic views. While most people view the canyon from the peak, the better view is the one that is lower. It allows you to view the length of the canyon on both ends much better. Plus, don't get caught up in looking down or viewing the canyon. My favorite part is viewing the mountain tops for as far as the eyes can see. It is like a desert of mountain tops that extends to the horizon.

DJay23
07-14-2005, 01:27 PM
If you go to the Grand Canyon, the Leonard Harrison State Park side has two scenic views. While most people view the canyon from the peak, the better view is the one that is lower. It allows you to view the length of the canyon on both ends much better. Plus, don't get caught up in looking down or viewing the canyon. My favorite part is viewing the mountain tops for as far as the eyes can see. It is like a desert of mountain tops that extends to the horizon.
Awesome, I'll have to get out there with a camera before the summer's over.

03-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Just curious...

Cedar Point
or
Universal Studios Orlando

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 05:31 AM
Just curious...

Cedar Point
or
Universal Studios Orlando

Depends on what u want.

Cedar Point = Coasters. Do you love Coasters? Lots of Coasters?

Universal = Family atmosphere. Big budget shows and tons of dark rides. No coasters.

The also have Universal Islands of Adventure right next door.

EyePod
03-31-2009, 06:08 AM
Cedar point for the roller coasters. Millenium Force is amazing. So is that one that you stand up for the ride. Now, how could they not include Islands of Adventure? It has really great rides and it's so much cheaper to go to Universal/Islands of Adventure than to go to Disney. Oh, and one of the classics is Knoebels. Great memories there.

EyePod
03-31-2009, 06:09 AM
Only because tommykat is sure to see this later....

http://www.msn.com

Wow, that's the best link I've ever seen. I'm surprised you just didn't say "www.google.com" It's not like the info on MSN's front page changes or anything...

BigRedChief
03-31-2009, 06:14 AM
Depends on what u want.

Universal = Family atmosphere. Big budget shows and tons of dark rides. No coasters.

The also have Universal Islands of Adventure right next door.
Never been to Cedar Point. Hear its the best though.

Where's Universal studios on the list? Thats my favorite. No coasters? The Hulk? Dueling Dragons? Mummy? Some of the best.

We went on a 11 day trip to Orlando one year. Spent a day a each of the 4 parks in Disney. Spent a day a each of the 4 parks in Universal and another day at Sea World. That was way too much.:shake:

Katipan
03-31-2009, 06:31 AM
This list is still crap 4 years later.

I can't imagine any Knott's Camp Snoopy could be much different from the original one, and that one is boring for anyone under 60. Or anyone that doesn't like jam.

MMXcalibur
03-31-2009, 06:31 AM
Went with the California Disneyland. I dunno, I'm a sucker for Disney.

Katipan
03-31-2009, 06:34 AM
Went with the California Disneyland. I dunno, I'm a sucker for Disney.

My son couldn't hear very well for the first few years of his life. Disneyland in C.A. found out in conversation and gave us passes to skip to the front of every line.

18 years growing up in Southern California, and it took me until I was 28 to go on every ride in one day.

CoMoChief
03-31-2009, 06:41 AM
Universal Studios Islands of Adventure needs to be on there.

Besides Cedar Point, its the best park I've been to.

Pioli Zombie
03-31-2009, 06:50 AM
George Costanzas privates
Posted via Mobile Device

MOhillbilly
03-31-2009, 07:38 AM
busch gardens= free beer. its a no Fn brainer people.

blaise
03-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Six Flags Astroworld isn't even open anymore.

blaise
03-31-2009, 09:30 AM

I lived in Williamsport for about a year. Also Lewisburg for a year. It's beautiful there. I've driven up and down Route 15 so many times going up to NY State and down to DC I know it like the back of my hand.
We never went to Hershey Park though. We went to the factory for the tour, but not the amusement park.
We used to go to Knoebels, which I loved for what it was. You don't pay for parking, you don't pay admission, you just pay per ride- like $1.50 for a roller coaster. And they had good roller coasters there. I like the wooden ones best anyway. It was a very laid back place. Not crowded, you could bring food and eat at the picnic tables.

Deberg_1990
03-31-2009, 10:12 AM
I lived in Williamsport for about a year. Also Lewisburg for a year. It's beautiful there. I've driven up and down Route 15 so many times going up to NY State and down to DC I know it like the back of my hand.
We never went to Hershey Park though. We went to the factory for the tour, but not the amusement park.
We used to go to Knoebels, which I loved for what it was. You don't pay for parking, you don't pay admission, you just pay per ride- like $1.50 for a roller coaster. And they had good roller coasters there. I like the wooden ones best anyway. It was a very laid back place. Not crowded, you could bring food and eat at the picnic tables.

Busch Gardens in Williamsburg is one of my fave parks of all time. Great mix of coasters and family entertainment. Nice and clean.

HersheyPark in PA. was great too. Just a cut below Busch Gardens, but still a nice park.

That was 8 or 9 years ago, so they may have changed...

Archie F. Swin
03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
apparently not Astroworld

for that bitch is closed

03-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Depends on what u want.

The also have Universal Islands of Adventure right next door.We are all about the coasters. I just recently found out that Universal/IOA wouldn't cost that much more than Cedar point and I wouldn't have to spend 2 days just driving there. It's more expensive to fly to Cleveland than to Orlando too. I think my boy is still more interested in CP though so it may not even matter. If I went motel 6 the whole way we can do CP for $1200 not including food with a stop at Kings Island on the way back. Universal would be $1400 including the flight but not including food.

Hootie
03-31-2009, 03:46 PM
I've only been to Cedar Pointe, so it gets my vote.

HC_Chief
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Islands of Adventure - Universal Orlando.

03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
Islands of Adventure - Universal Orlando.any chance you could elaborate on why Universal over Cedar Point?

HC_Chief
03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
any chance you could elaborate on why Universal over Cedar Point?

Not many reasons; Cedar Point = roller coaster mecca.

This time of year, I'd choose FL over OH because of the weather. I also like the fact that IOA is right next to Disneyworld. You can go to half a dozen parks in that area, which is nice.

I think they're both great. My favorite ride however is at IOA: Spiderman. It is uberbadass.

03-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Not many reasons; Cedar Point = roller coaster mecca.

This time of year, I'd choose FL over OH because of the weather. I also like the fact that IOA is right next to Disneyworld. You can go to half a dozen parks in that area, which is nice.

I think they're both great. My favorite ride however is at IOA: Spiderman. It is uberbadass.We aren't going until June so weather really isn't an issue.

I think my son is leaning pretty heavily toward Cedar Point though. Now I just need to figure out if Kings Island is worth a one day stop or if we should just spend the week at CP and maybe hit the rock n roll hall of fame.

jiveturkey
03-31-2009, 04:17 PM
We are all about the coasters. I just recently found out that Universal/IOA wouldn't cost that much more than Cedar point and I wouldn't have to spend 2 days just driving there. It's more expensive to fly to Cleveland than to Orlando too. I think my boy is still more interested in CP though so it may not even matter. If I went motel 6 the whole way we can do CP for $1200 not including food with a stop at Kings Island on the way back. Universal would be $1400 including the flight but not including food.King's Island is adding a badass coaster for this year. I'm not sure where you're driving back to but Holiday World is another option that you might consider. It's about 3 hours from King's Island in South Indiana.

jiveturkey
03-31-2009, 04:19 PM
You can easily conquer Cedar Point in 2.5 days. King's Island is a good time. The best drop tower out there. Diamondback is the giant steel coaster that they're adding.

03-31-2009, 04:23 PM
King's Island is adding a badass coaster for this year. I'm not sure where you're driving back to but Holiday World is another option that you might consider. It's about 3 hours from King's Island in South Indiana.

You can easily conquer Cedar Point in 2.5 days. King's Island is a good time. The best drop tower out there. Diamondback is the giant steel coaster that they're adding.This is the input I have been looking for. Been trying to decide if I want to spend the extra day driving down to KI or not. I just might now since we will have the Cedar Fair Platinum Pass anyway.

jiveturkey
03-31-2009, 04:35 PM
This is the input I have been looking for. Been trying to decide if I want to spend the extra day driving down to KI or not. I just might now since we will have the Cedar Fair Platinum Pass anyway.I believe that the Platinum pass gets you into the CP and KI early. CP might also have an after hours option for pass holders. At least they did last year.

Whatever they have this year be sure to make use of it. The best time to be at a big ass park like that is first thing in the morning and the last couple of hours their open.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission/season_passes/point_perks.cfm

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/events.cfm?ec_id=27
The Gold pass is a step below the Platinum so you'll get all of the benefits listed here.

pr_capone
03-31-2009, 04:47 PM
My favorite?

Wild West World (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_West_World) FTW!

Wild West World was a Wild West theme park in Park City, Kansas that opened on May 5, 2007 and closed on July 9, 2007. It was located on 130 acres (0.53 km2) along Interstate 135 near Wichita.

03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I believe that the Platinum pass gets you into the CP and KI early. CP might also have an after hours option for pass holders. At least they did last year.

Whatever they have this year be sure to make use of it. The best time to be at a big ass park like that is first thing in the morning and the last couple of hours their open.

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/admission/season_passes/point_perks.cfm

http://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/events.cfm?ec_id=27
The Gold pass is a step below the Platinum so you'll get all of the benefits listed here.The Gold Pass reads as if it is only for Kings Island and their waterpark though. Platinum seems to be the way to go. Plus it gets us into WOF for the rest of the year.

TEX
03-31-2009, 04:48 PM
I've only been to 4 of them, but I voted the Cedar Point. I've always wanted to go there.

Plus, I think The 6 Flags near San Antonio is better than Astroworld. I used to have a tradition with some of my Houston friends where we went to that 6 Flags the day after all the kids go back to school each summer. It was awesome.

Hey bro, they tore Six Flags Astroworld down a couple of years ago. It's just a huge field across 610 from the Dome and Reliant Stadium. The bridge over 610 is still there, but it leads to nowhere...Looks weird ,especially if you know what was once there. How long have you been gone now?

jiveturkey
03-31-2009, 04:52 PM
The Gold Pass reads as if it is only for Kings Island and their waterpark though. Platinum seems to be the way to go. Plus it gets us into WOF for the rest of the year.That's what I'm sayin'. The Platinum pass get's you all of the Gold pass benefits at other parks. :thumb:

03-31-2009, 04:58 PM
That's what I'm sayin'. The Platinum pass get's you all of the Gold pass benefits at other parks. :thumb:Free parking as well. that kicks ass.

Al Bundy
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
I voted for Busch Gardens in Tampa, but I also really liked Circus World in Haines City.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2018, 05:37 PM
At Cedar Point right now. First time here. holy sh*t, this place rocks. Every direction you turn is a superb coaster. My son and I are in heaven!

Bowser
07-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Holy 9 year bump, Batman.

And yeah, Cedar Point is a pretty kick ass place. Have fun.

ThaVirus
07-14-2018, 06:10 PM
13 years late but I like Busch Gardens in VA over FL. It's cleaner, better coasters, and the weather is more agreeable.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2018, 06:48 PM
13 years late but I like Busch Gardens in VA over FL. It's cleaner, better coasters, and the weather is more agreeable.

I would agree with this. Been to both. The Virginia park is beautiful. Probably my fave park

AssEaterChief
07-14-2018, 09:48 PM
At Cedar Point right now. First time here. holy sh*t, this place rocks. Every direction you turn is a superb coaster. My son and I are in heaven!

It is the best hands down

In quality and quantity....it just cannot be beat

Al Bundy
07-15-2018, 07:12 AM

It is fucking awesome.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2018, 08:05 AM
It is the best hands down

In quality and quantity....it just cannot be beat

It’s pretty overwhelming. The pure amount of rides here. Rides everywhere you turn.

Al Bundy
07-15-2018, 08:20 AM
It’s pretty overwhelming. The pure amount of rides here. Rides everywhere you turn.

Which one was your favorite?

MahiMike
07-15-2018, 04:59 PM
I just remember working at Worlds of Fun for $2/hour. I worked 6 days a week then went there on my day off to ride for free.

We drove the dumpsters 3 at a time using the same trams they do to pull planes at KCI. I learned how to back up a trailer at 16.

I got more tang behind the dumpster than I ever have since. Plus free food when they closed down the restaurants.

Was a great job for a kid.

Deberg_1990
07-15-2018, 05:19 PM
Which one was your favorite?

So far Maverick, Steel Vengeance and Gemini. Gemini is just a cool old racing coaster but holds up well for being 40 years old.

Al Bundy
08-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Six Flags Astroworld is now a parking lot for the Texans stadium. My GF and I are going to Cedar Point at the end of September to get in on the Halloweekends event.