PDA

View Full Version : Hockey's Back

Hercules Rockefell
07-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Perfect day to announce with no other sporting event taking place. If either side votes it down, they need to be shot.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130274

Phobia
07-13-2005, 10:50 AM
I would like to make the inaugural Chiefs4me post on this thread. We need to talk about her more on Chiefs4mePlanet.

HC_Chief
07-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Kick ass!

6-yr CBA
- a hard team-by-team <b>salary cap</b> with a payroll of range of $21 million to $39 million (in the first year), which includes all player costs (benefits, insurance etc).

- the league's total expenditure on player costs (salaries, bonuses, benefits and insurance) is not permitted to exceed 54 per cent of defined hockey-related revenue and the salary cap and payroll range will move up or down as revenues increase or decrease each year of the deal.

- a 24 per-cent salary rollback for any NHL player who has time remaining on an existing contract, keeping in mind that the players will receive none of the monies they were slated to earn in the lost season of 2004-05.

- liberalized free agency (including unrestricted status at 27 by year four of the deal), a more restrictive entry level system, totally revamped salary arbitration, improved pension benefits and a revenue-sharing plan.
NHL is getting smart... this is a solid foundation modeled a bit after the NFL.

DeepSouth
07-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I would like to make the inaugural Chiefs4me post on this thread. We need to talk about her more on Chiefs4mePlanet.
You can sidetrack this thread. Not too many people would care.

Phobia
07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
You can sidetrack this thread. Not too many people would care.

Is that an idictment on Chiefs4me or hockey?

Electric
07-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Hockey's Back............................Who cares?

Bearcat
07-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Good for Sidney Crosby & the NHL that he might not end up in Pittsburgh or Chicago or Carolina. The NHL needs to rig it so a big US market (not Chicago) gets the first chance at him. Seriously.

I really wonder what attendance will be like outside of Canada, Denver, Detroit, etc... people tend to quickly forget, but if prices aren't any lower... :shrug:

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Sweet. It better happen.

Bearcat
07-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Oh, wait, I mean "Nobody cares" :rolleyes:

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Its on YOU, threadwrecker.

Demonpenz
07-13-2005, 11:04 AM
lets go penguins!

Saulbadguy
07-13-2005, 11:06 AM
For a Chiefs board, we have an unusually high amount of Pittsburgh Penguins fans.

chagrin
07-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Rippin!

Coach
07-13-2005, 11:12 AM
It's time to do the Hokey..

Oh... Hockey?

Carry on.

teedubya
07-13-2005, 11:16 AM
zzzz

DJay23
07-13-2005, 11:21 AM
The only time i missed hockey this year was when college hoops finished and the baseball season had settled in. I like the playoffs, but was very glad it was gone last year. Got to watch a lot more college basketball than I normally would.

Predarat
07-13-2005, 11:25 AM
Bring on the Kansas City Blues!!!!!!

gblowfish
07-13-2005, 11:27 AM
It's time to do the Hokey..

Oh... Hockey?

Carry on.That's what it's all about!

Hoover
07-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Hoover has season tix to the Des Moines Stars, the New Hockey Team in town. I'll be seeing Lord Stanley's Cup tonight along with my friend Gordie Howe!

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Cool.

Calcountry
07-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Jeremy Roenick, kiss my ass.

DeepSouth
07-13-2005, 12:08 PM

I've avoided the Chiefs4Me controversy so I let's go with hockey.

Mr. Laz
07-13-2005, 12:11 PM
"....a hard team-by-team salary cap"

now if Baseball can just do it

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 01:42 PM
now if Baseball can just do itCue aerosmith.

FloridaMan88
07-13-2005, 02:07 PM
Hockey was gone?

Didn't notice

Miles
07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Well it was nice while it lasted.

whoman69
07-13-2005, 03:20 PM
Now KC can get back on track for its bid to get an NHL team since they probably don't want a WNBA team and the chance of it getting an NBA team are pretty slim.

morphius
07-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Cool, something to watch next football offseason.

Go Av's.

BIG_DADDY
07-13-2005, 03:47 PM
It will be good to be back in the Shark Tank.

Bearcat
07-13-2005, 03:50 PM
I did enjoy watching more college basketball, even though I'm not one of those people who think regular season hockey is worthless.... but once March Madness was over, I started to miss it a little.

Here's to the Avalanche's hope of drafting Sidney Crosby :toast: :D

andoman
07-13-2005, 03:52 PM
The people that dis hockey have never played it or just sucked a$$ when they did. Probably got their a$$ knocked around in hockey in jr high gym class.

:)

suds79
07-13-2005, 04:19 PM
The people that dis hockey have never played it or just sucked a$$ when they did. Probably got their a$$ knocked around in hockey in jr high gym class.

:)

I don't see what having played hockey has anything to do with knowing if you like it or not. To me that just seems like a pretty poor attemt as to explain/attack the vast majority in this country that couldn't care less about hockey. Have I played hockey? No. Not exactly your everyday sport offered where I grew up. But I've seen enough of it to know that I don't like it.

Hockey to me is just one of those sports that doesn’t make me say "wow what an unbelievable athletic move". IMO the excitement isn't there.

When Dante jukes 2 defenders on his way for a touchdown, that's one of those moments, when Lebron James elevates over sombody and slams it home, that's one of those moments.

I just don't get that out of hockey.

morphius
07-13-2005, 04:28 PM
I don't see what having played hockey has anything to do with knowing if you like it or not. To me that just seems like a pretty poor attemt as to explain/attack the vast majority in this country that couldn't care less about hockey. Have I played hockey? No. Not exactly your everyday sport offered where I grew up. But I've seen enough of it to know that I don't like it.

Hockey to me is just one of those sports that doesn’t make me say "wow what an unbelievable athletic move". IMO the excitement isn't there.

When Dante jukes 2 defenders on his way for a touchdown, that's one of those moments, when Lebron James elevates over sombody and slams it home, that's one of those moments.

I find it funny that you mention a juke by Dante Hall, while almost as exciting ones are made in hockey all the time. Normally most peoples issue with Hockey seems to be the low scoring. Personally I get not enjoyment from the NBA at all anymore. Just turn the game on in the 4th quarter after the refs decide to equal out the game again and watch the last two minutes take a lifetime...

BIG_DADDY
07-13-2005, 04:34 PM

Have you actually been at a playoff game before?

andoman
07-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Funny, I'm that way about basketball. They are great athletes, but its not nearly as exciting to watch as hockey. If they lowered the basket, added a "goal tender" and got rid of "fouling" I might like it. :hmmm:

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Oh God...can this day get any better....

PBJ PBJ PBJ

unlurking
07-13-2005, 07:32 PM

Ahh, you've obviously neveer seen guys like Peter Forsberg (Dirty AvMonkey) or Peter Yzerman (God) leave a defensman pulling his shorts back up. You've never seen guys like Kasparitis or Konstantinov blow people up with a solid hit in the middle of the rink. Apparently you haven't seen guys like Probert and McSorley throw about 30 punches each in 60 seconds in a haymaker.

chop
07-13-2005, 07:51 PM
I guess I'll start seeing all of the Redwing flags on the windows of cars around here.

Mile High Mania
07-13-2005, 07:53 PM
What is this... "hockey" that you speak of?

the Talking Can
07-13-2005, 07:54 PM
sweet, now it will be even more exciting when I pay no attention to it....

unlurking
07-13-2005, 07:58 PM
I guess I'll start seeing all of the Redwing flags on the windows of cars around here.
You'd see several if you were in my bar!

RED WINGS RULE!!!!!!!!

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:00 PM
sweet, now it will be even more exciting when I pay no attention to it....
Shit, with how little you understand football, hockey aficianados won't be missing your "understanding" of the sport.

Edit:

Forgot the ;)

chop
07-13-2005, 08:19 PM
You'd see several if you were in my bar!

RED WINGS RULE!!!!!!!!

Where are you located?

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:26 PM
Where are you located?
Colorado.

But I was here before the AvMonkeys realized that a sport played on ice kept there beers cooler than that crappy ass soccer shit.

plbrdude
07-13-2005, 08:27 PM
ahh yes hockey. it may very well be the downfall of this great nation.

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 08:31 PM
STARS BABY STARS....

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:32 PM
ahh yes hockey. it may very well be the downfall of this great nation.
hahahaha

Like ballroom dancing is the sport to keep this "great nation" sophisticated?

chop
Colorado.

But I was here before the AvMonkeys realized that a sport played on ice kept there beers cooler than that crappy ass soccer shit.

Tough place to be a Redwing fan. That's like being a Chiefs fan while living in Oakland.

milkman
Colorado.

Isn't hockey nothing more than soccer on ice skates.

I think "crappy ass" is an apt description for both.

I will say this.
Baseball owners could learn a lot from their hockey counterparts.

They (hockey owners) stuck to thier guns, and are getting a salary cap.
Baseball needs to do the same thing.

unlurking
STARS BABY STARS....
OK, now you can ban her. Stars suck AvMonkey dicks!

;)

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:35 PM
Tough place to be a Redwing fan. That's like being a Chiefs fan while living in Oakland.
Well, I tried to be a Colorado fan when the Avs came to town, but the Turtle popped up and I had to go back to my roots. Nothing compares to watching Shanahan clothesline Roy, or the Vladinator upending the turtle.

morphius
07-13-2005, 08:43 PM

I will say this.

Maybe to the untrained eye with no love of sports that involve lots of hitting, finnesse and nearly non stop action...

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 08:53 PM
OK, now you can ban her. Stars suck AvMonkey dicks!

;)

The stars let the avs win every now and then to keep it interesting...they OWN the avs...and don't even get me started on your wing dings...

;)

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:53 PM

I will say this.

Until you've seen Probert or Kocur fighting on skates, you ain't seen nothin'!

Unfortunately, Betteman screwed this up with that ****ed up instigator rule.

unlurking
07-13-2005, 08:54 PM
The stars let the avs win every now and then to keep it interesting...they OWN the avs...and don't even get me started on your wing dings...

;)
Yeah, the Wings own the Stars like like ENDelt owns the fatties!!!

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 08:56 PM
Maybe to the untrained eye with no love of sports that involve lots of hitting, finnesse and nearly non stop action...

Don't forget the fights...sigh...when the gloves come off.PBJ

Slayer Diablo
07-13-2005, 08:57 PM
Hockey's back? Eh...it can stay as long as it does nothing to piss me off.

milkman
07-13-2005, 08:59 PM

So, to be a hockey fan you have to get a trained eye?

Is that something you buy, or something you go to school for?

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Yeah, the Wings own the Stars like like ENDelt owns the fatties!!!

wow...you sure do know how to ruin a good time.....:(

milkman
07-13-2005, 09:03 PM
Don't forget the fights...sigh...when the gloves come off.PBJ

Of course, that's why that old joke about hockey and boxing is around.

Hockey is sort of like Nascar.

People only watch to see the entertaining side shows.

morphius
07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
So, to be a hockey fan you have to get a trained eye?

Is that something you buy, or something you go to school for?
Well, if you don't have it then it must obviously be schooling.

:D

chiefs4me
07-13-2005, 09:27 PM

unlurking
07-13-2005, 09:34 PM

Unless you want the white trash NASCAR version which includes a glowing puck. Man that was absolutely horrible.

I must say, hockey in HD is phenomenal.

Predarat
07-14-2005, 09:44 AM
"....a hard team-by-team salary cap"

now if Baseball can just do it
Then we would have to be without the Royals for a year. What am I talking about? We have been without them the last 10 years.

Bearcat
07-14-2005, 10:04 AM

If they don't find ways to speed up the game, like cracking down on holding/hooking, banning the trap, taking out the red line, etc; then the only thing a salary cap will do is make for mediocre & even lower scoring hockey, which is bound to turn off the average fan.

There were teams with 25 ties/OTL last year.... but let's spread out the talent more, and strive for 50%!

keg in kc
07-14-2005, 10:05 AM
taking out the red line, etcI was talking to my dad about the league the other day, and he mentioned that they were taking the red line out. Not sure if he's right about that or not. Mentioned a few rule changes, in fact, but I haven't bothered to look any of it up.

CASHMAN
07-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Who cares if hockey is back? not me :shake: , i have never watched a game nor do i plan on it.
But i am 1 person but i am sure there are others out there that dont really care.

CASHMAN.

keg in kc
07-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Here we go. Guess some are in and some are still in the "maybe" stage.

Changes in store when NHL returns (http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/rangers/ny-spchanges0714,0,1546718.story?coll=ny-rangers-bigpix)

July 13, 2005

When the NHL returns, as expected, from its 10-month lockout in October, plenty will have changed. After cancelling the 2004-05 season, skipping the 2005 entry draft, and missing a full year of free agent shopping, the league and its 30 teams will look drastically different.

Here's an outline of what will or may happen:

-- Smaller goalies: The NHL players and owners have already agreed to shrink the size of goaltender equipment whenever the league gets back on ice. The width of goalie pads will be reduced from 12 to 11 inches. Blockers, gloves and shoulder pads will be held to stricter standards. Goalies will also be required to wear form-fitting uniforms that compact their upper-body gear more.

-- Overtime shootouts: Desperate to reduce the number of wearisome tie games, the NHL instituted four-on-four overtimes six years ago, with one point awarded to the loser and two points awarded to the winner. However, the league wasn't thrilled with the results, and now it seems likely that shootouts will be used to decide regular-season games that remain tied after a five-minute overtime. Playoff games would still be decided in 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods.

-- No goaltender puckhandling: Prior to the lockout, the NHL's board of governors approved a rule that would prevent goalies from handling the puck outside of a prescribed area behind the crease. The idea is that it would allow for more creative flow and pressure in the offensive zone.

-- Bigger nets: The NHL's new rules committee has experimented with the idea of new, curved goals that will give shooters 13 percent more room to score. The new nets are one of a number of rules changes the NHL is mulling. Also under consideration: Removal of the center red line, widening of the blue lines, and the return of tag-up offsides.

-- Sidney Crosby: The 17-year-old Junior forward who Wayne Gretzky himself declared the NHL's next great star wasn't selected in the NHL draft this summer because, well, there wasn't one. Now, Crosby may be available to all 30 teams, depending on how the league structures its draft lottery. One theory suggested that teams would be given a weighted opportunity to win the first pick based on their cumulative record over the past three seasons, but the prevailing notion now seems to be that all 30 teams will have equal shot at drafting Crosby.

-- Free agent frenzy: Although salaries will never approach the levels they hit during the NHL's pre-cap era, owners will be forced to sign dozens of free agents once the lockout ends. That's because more than 60 percent of the league's players are eligible for free agency following a full year of inactivity. Further adding to the confusion, it's believed that the new CBA will allow for teams to buy out existing contracts, adding more big names to the free agent pool. All this means that many teams will have entirely different rosters when play resumes in 2005-06.

chagrin
07-14-2005, 10:25 AM
-- Overtime shootouts: Desperate to reduce the number of wearisome tie games, the NHL instituted four-on-four overtimes six years ago, with one point awarded to the loser and two points awarded to the winner. However, the league wasn't thrilled with the results, and now it seems likely that shootouts will be used to decide regular-season games that remain tied after a five-minute overtime. Playoff games would still be decided in 20-minute, sudden-death overtime periods.

Sucks

Bearcat
07-14-2005, 10:42 AM
Who cares if hockey is back? not me :shake: , i have never watched a game nor do i plan on it.
But i am 1 person but i am sure there are others out there that dont really care.

CASHMAN.

Why is everyone compelled to go through the "I don't care" on every single hockey thread? We don't care that you don't care, and we don't even care if you know that we don't care about you not caring, so I don't see why you care so much about telling us that you don't care.

chagrin
07-14-2005, 10:44 AM

Stanley Cups...

Stars 1*

Avalanche 2

Detroit 3 (since 1996)

'Nuff said...

;)

Bearcat
07-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Sucks

To me, it's like deciding a football game by a field goal kicking contest. I wouldn't be so opposed to it if they had a full OT first.

99% of the problems on the ice can be solved by not tinkering with the actual game.... reducing the goalie's pads & cracking down on the rules that are already there. That's it. Personally, I like the international game & college game more than the NHL, so I think no red line and a larger sheet of ice could add some excitement. Besides that, stuff like not letting the goalie out of the crease is a freakin' gimmick, and they would be condoning one of the things that slows the game down -- constantly dumping the puck in and fighting for it in the corners.

Predarat
07-14-2005, 10:53 AM
I like the idea of shootouts but only after one or two overtimes. But they need to keep the number of shootouts down somewhat so they dont get old. They are very exciting, especially at first! I think instead of not letting the goalie out of the crease they should make them fair game. That would be cool to see a goalie get slammed into the boards and the resulting events!

chagrin
07-14-2005, 10:56 AM
[QUOTE=Bearcat]To me, it's like deciding a football game by a field goal kicking contest. I wouldn't be so opposed to it if they had a full OT first.

I might agree with that one, but they HAVE to have at least one OT for regular season games!

Eliminate offsides please NHL!!!

-- constantly dumping the puck in and fighting for it in the corners.

The grinding in the corners is very cool, to me that is, but there are WAY too many fouls called for stupid shit like offsides.

Otter
07-14-2005, 12:09 PM
-- No goaltender puckhandling: Prior to the lockout, the NHL's board of governors approved a rule that would prevent goalies from handling the puck outside of a prescribed area behind the crease. The idea is that it would allow for more creative flow and pressure in the offensive zone.

Can't say I understand how this will speed up the game. To counter any "creative flow and pressure" the opposing team is simply going to hold back the defensemen to do the puck handling until it's out of the zone.

There's a much better chance of a goalie fumbling the puck for a goal than any defenseman in the league turning it over.

Great news overall though! :thumb: :rockon:

http://www.signaturetumblers.com/images/NHL/NHL_Philadelphia_Flyers.jpg

Saulbadguy
07-14-2005, 12:12 PM
The Flyers haven't been the same since the days of the Broad Street Bullies.

Otter
07-14-2005, 12:24 PM
The Flyers haven't been the same since the days of the Broad Street Bullies.

They still make a run just about every year since 1990 and as far as 'bullies' I'd put Donald Brashear up against anyone in the league.

What they need to do is acquire a top 10 goalie.

brent102fire
07-14-2005, 12:37 PM
:ZZZ:

Otter
07-14-2005, 01:02 PM
:ZZZ:

Bump!

andoman
07-14-2005, 03:49 PM
Ahh, you've obviously neveer seen guys like Peter Forsberg (Dirty AvMonkey) or Peter Yzerman (God) leave a defensman pulling his shorts back up. You've never seen guys like Kasparitis or Konstantinov blow people up with a solid hit in the middle of the rink. Apparently you haven't seen guys like Probert and McSorley throw about 30 punches each in 60 seconds in a haymaker.

Are you really a Wings fan?

Calcountry
07-14-2005, 03:57 PM
Can't say I understand how this will speed up the game. To counter any "creative flow and pressure" the opposing team is simply going to hold back the defensemen to do the puck handling until it's out of the zone.

There's a much better chance of a goalie fumbling the puck for a goal than any defenseman in the league turning it over.

Great news overall though! :thumb: :rockon:

http://www.signaturetumblers.com/images/NHL/NHL_Philadelphia_Flyers.jpgDid they get rid of the red line too?

Calcountry
07-14-2005, 03:59 PM
It will be good to be back in the Shark Tank.Yes, I missed it so much, I bought a mini season ticket package for the A's.

Calcountry
07-14-2005, 04:00 PM

I just don't get that out of hockey.Dude, it is "athletic", just to be able to skate, let alone skate, maintain focus on a puck and be harrassed without falling down, then shoot the damn thing on net.

Calcountry
07-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Ahh, you've obviously neveer seen guys like Peter Forsberg (Dirty AvMonkey) or Peter Yzerman (God) leave a defensman pulling his shorts back up. You've never seen guys like Kasparitis or Konstantinov blow people up with a solid hit in the middle of the rink. Apparently you haven't seen guys like Probert and McSorley throw about 30 punches each in 60 seconds in a haymaker.Apparently not. ROFL :thumb:

Calcountry
07-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Tough place to be a Redwing fan. That's like being a Chiefs fan while living in Oakland.I live 40 miles from Oakland, but yeah, its hell come September.

Calcountry
07-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Don't forget the fights...sigh...when the gloves come off.PBJYes, if they want to get the fans back, they should let em go.

unlurking
07-14-2005, 04:33 PM
hahaha, musta been while I was wrining my hands about paying respect to Flopsberg. I'm ashamed.

:(

Otter
07-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Hockey's Back............................Who cares?

bump

chiefs4me
07-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Are you really a Wings fan?

ROFL

milkman
07-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Why is everyone compelled to go through the "I don't care" on every single hockey thread? We don't care that you don't care, and we don't even care if you know that we don't care about you not caring, so I don't see why you care so much about telling us that you don't care.

Because we're post whores, and since to don't have anything of merit to add, to only way to satiate our need to post is to post "I don't care".

Does that help? :p

andoman
07-14-2005, 08:46 PM

Hockey is more like Lacrosse on skates.

I'd probably like soccer if they didn't handicap the game by not allowing players to touch the ball with their hands and arms. :shake: