PDA

View Full Version : Million Dollar Baby

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:01 PM
Just got done watching the DVD.

Wow. Just wow.

I fully understand why it won all the awards it did. Hilary Swank is amazing. Hell, everybody in the movie is great.

If you haven't seen this yet, you should.

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:03 PM

Wow. Just wow.

I fully understand why it won all the awards it did. Hilary Swank is amazing. Hell, everybody in the movie is great.

And? What's it about??

Herzig
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM

Wow. Just wow.

Saw it at the theater..I agree..it is a must see. Eastwood, Swank, and Morgan Freeman are all awesome in this show.

FloridaChief
07-13-2005, 10:06 PM
And? What's it about??

It's about 132 minutes.

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:07 PM
And? What's it about??

Hell, I figured everybody knew by now.

It's about a female boxer and her relationship with her manager. I won't say anything more than that. Just rent it.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:10 PM
For some reason, I will not watch that movie. I hate it, and I've never seen a second of it. I do that sometimes.

Nzoner
07-13-2005, 10:11 PM

It's about a female boxer from the scratch ass hills of Missouri and her relationship with her manager. I won't say anything more than that. Just rent it.

Fixed it.

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:12 PM
Fixed it.

Good catch. :D

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:13 PM
For some reason, I will not watch that movie. I hate it, and I've never seen a second of it. I do that sometimes.

How can you hate something you have never seen?:hmmm:

OK Fraz, I do remember seeing clips of it..........I will rent it. (You paying)? :D

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:14 PM
Fixed it.

FAULKER....;)

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
FAULKER....;)

Hey, TK might actually be able to understand everything Hilary Swank says.

Certainly Skip could. :D

KChiefsQT
07-13-2005, 10:15 PM
This is wierd.... I almost started a thread on this movie today as well. I watched it this afternoon and it was soooo amazing. I adored every minute of it...what an emotional rollercoaster though. Seriously, one of the best movies I have EVER seen in my life. Stunning!!!!!!!

Miles
07-13-2005, 10:18 PM
I have been waiting for this on for a while but probably wont get around to it till this weekend. Nice to see some good things about it around here. I was worried it was one of those that didnt live up to the critic's reviews.

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:18 PM
Hey, TK might actually be able to understand everything Hilary Swank says.

Certainly Skip could. :D

YOU COMPARING ME TO SKIP??????????????4321

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:19 PM
YOU COMPARING ME TO SKIP??????????????4321

Well, you're both hillbillies. :evil:

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:21 PM
How can you hate something you have never seen?I think sometimes I just don't like things because other people do.

And, hell, don't tell me there's things you don't like, even though you've never tried them. Like, uh, liver and onions. I used to hate liver and onions, even though I never tried them. Then one day I tried them, and discovered I was right all along. It's a matter of taste, knowing what kind of things you like and don't like.

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Well, you're both hillbillies. That's an odd way of spelling "old farts".

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:22 PM

FAULKER...:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:23 PM
That's an odd way of spelling "old farts".

AND YOUR AGE FART FACE? FAULKER! Bite me!:mad:

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:24 PM
AND YOUR AGE FART FACE? FAULKER!Being old doesn't bother me. I am what I am. :shrug:

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:24 PM
FAULKER...:cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Oh c'mon. Surely you and Skip can settle your differences over a jug of moonshine.

ROFL

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:25 PM
Oh c'mon. Surely you and Skip can settle your differences over a jug of moonshine.That's an odd way to spell "Metamucil".

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:27 PM
That's an odd way to spell "Metamucil".

Yeah, moonshine probably won't provide enough fiber for them.

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:28 PM
That's an odd way to spell "Metamucil".

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG:mad:

I'll never share a room with you again Frazzie.........heehee.

Keg? :Lin:

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah, moonshine probably won't provide enough fiber for them.I don't know. With the alzheimer's, skip might occasionally forget to filter out the corn silk.

Frazod
07-13-2005, 10:34 PM
Shit. I've helped to hijack my own thread! :eek:

tommykat
07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Shit. I've helped to hijack my own thread! :eek:

ROFL I wondered when that would hit you.............DING DING.....

keg in kc
07-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Shit. I've helped to hijack my own thread!Hell, what's more fun than that.

Rausch
07-14-2005, 01:09 AM

It's about a female boxer and her relationship with her manager. I won't say anything more than that. Just rent it.

Eh, think I'll pass...

Jenson71
07-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Bought the DVD yesterday...Just as excellent the second time around...

Simplex3
07-14-2005, 01:12 AM
Eh, think I'll pass...
Don't be fooled, it has very little to do with boxing.

old_geezer
07-14-2005, 05:33 AM
An old geezer's take on the movie;

My son recommended it to me when it first came out. I dislike boxing movies and I thought Hillary Swank should have been named Skank instead (homliest female "star" I've seen in a long time). After renting the movie - I will make it my next DVD purchase. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time with a plot twist I didn't see coming at all. Also my opinion of Swank changed 90%. I can't imagine a better job of acting by anyone; She, along with Freeman and Eastwood were just perfect. (I still think she's homely, but a great actress).

Skip Towne
07-14-2005, 05:50 AM
Sticks and stones may break my bones..........

DJay23
07-14-2005, 07:18 AM
the ****'s a faulker?

anyway, I saw it twice in the theater, and while it was a really good movie and should have won the awards it did, it just didn't grab me like the other people I saw it with. The only thing that really got me was his nickname for her. I thought that was pretty sweet.

Coach
07-14-2005, 07:24 AM
the ****'s a faulker?

It's tommykat's way of saying "f***er".

Like some people in here use the letter c on chit instead of the letter s.

DJay23
07-14-2005, 07:41 AM
It's tommykat's way of saying "f***er".

Like some people in here use the letter c on chit instead of the letter s.
I see. That's awfully gay.

Frazod
07-14-2005, 07:45 AM
Don't be fooled, it has very little to do with boxing.

True, but the fight scenes are AWESOME. Swank kicks some serious ass.

chagrin
07-14-2005, 07:47 AM
Isn't it basically about right to life, or whatever?

Brock
07-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Eh, think I'll pass...

That would be a mistake.

Iowanian
07-14-2005, 09:34 AM

but she doesn't approve of Cursing or taking the lawds name in vain....

Simplex3
07-14-2005, 10:23 AM
but she doesn't approve of Cursing or taking the lawds name in vain....
Hey, God is stupid. He can't figure out that you meant "s**t" as long as you say chit instead. Goes right past his old omniscient ass. Besides, all he cares about is the act, not the intent.

And if you believe that I have a bridge for you to look at. It has toll booths on it, so it's a good money-maker. I'll let you have it for $1,000.

chagrin
07-14-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey, God is stupid. He can't figure out that you meant "s**t" as long as you say chit instead. Goes right past his old omniscient ass. Besides, all he cares about is the act, not the intent.

And if you believe that I have a bridge for you to look at. It has toll booths on it, so it's a good money-maker. I'll let you have it for $1,000.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
:clap:

Pennywise
07-14-2005, 11:09 AM

Your chit faulking right it is...........:mad:...........Ding Ding.........

keg in kc
07-14-2005, 11:13 AM
You guys are so full of chit, gosh darn it.

WilliamTheIrish
07-14-2005, 11:18 AM
I hadn't been to movie in a theater since I took my daughter and her two elementary school friends to see Titanic.

Took the opportunity to see this movie (on a whim-I had no idea what it was about) and left stunned.

Eastwood was fantastic. Constantly rummaging through the Gaelic dictionary. Giving Swank her nickname. The narration of Freeman. The enthusiastic attitude of Swank the wannabe boxer.

On my top 3 movies of all time it knocked Braveheart down to #3.

keg in kc
07-14-2005, 11:31 AM
I hadn't been to movie in a theater since I took my daughter and her two elementary school friends to see Titanic.Yeah, that would probably do it for me, too. If Titanic wasn't bad enough on it's own, elementary school kids would definitely ruin the whole moviegoing experience.

Deberg_1990
07-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Amazing flick. All the awards it recieved were for once, truly deserved. Eastwood as always been a good director, but its time to start thinking of this guy as brilliant now. What a career this guy has had. I knew the plot twists going in and it still knocked me on my feet. The only thing that bothered me a little was the portrayal of Maggie's family as such backwoods hicks from Missouri. Being from Missouri originally, i couldnt help but be a little offended, but thats a minor complaint. Great great film.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Amazing flick. All the awards it recieved were for once, truly deserved. Eastwood as always been a good director, but its time to start thinking of this guy as brilliant now. What a career this guy has had. I knew the plot twists going in and it still knocked me on my feet. The only thing that bothered me a little was the portrayal of Maggie's family as such backwoods hicks from Missouri. Being from Missouri originally, i couldnt help but be a little offended, but thats a minor complaint. Great great film.
Eastwood knows MUrons when he sees them.

luv
07-17-2005, 12:49 PM
There are some Missouri people who are very backwoods. Just depends on what part of Missouri you're from, I guess. I'm taking a couple of movies I got last night back today. I'm going to see if they have that movie back in yet.

Ninjaman
07-17-2005, 11:49 PM
I saw it tonight. I don't know if i would have given it 'oscar' props but it was good. I thought the ending is very 'melodramatic' and bit implausible.

Liked the movie till the ending.

Frazod
07-17-2005, 11:58 PM
The only thing that bothered me a little was the portrayal of Maggie's family as such backwoods hicks from Missouri. Being from Missouri originally, i couldnt help but be a little offended, but thats a minor complaint. Great great film.

Remember, Maggie was from Missouri as well. Try to think of it that way. :thumb:

The one thing I was a bit dissappointed about was the fate of the evile bitch from the last fight. Certainly it wasn't important to the overall story, but I would have liked to know the price she would have paid for her actions.

Deberg_1990
07-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Remember, Maggie was from Missouri as well. Try to think of it that way. :thumb:

The one thing I was a bit dissappointed about was the fate of the evile bitch from the last fight. Certainly it wasn't important to the overall story, but I would have liked to know the price she would have paid for her actions.

yea they picked a good chick to play an evil bitch. she was mean looking. I noticed her manager was Acevado from "The Shield".

Miles
07-18-2005, 12:13 AM
yea they picked a good chick to play an evil bitch. she was mean looking. I noticed her manager was Acevado from "The Shield".

I think the guy that played Army in the Shield was also in it. He was one of the guys at the gym at the beginning.

Jenson71
07-18-2005, 12:17 AM

Yeah, she actually is a professional boxer.

wazu
07-18-2005, 01:46 AM
I hated that movie. Even though the acting was good/great, it's too depressing. And the whole Clint Eastwood's REAL daughter story was incomplete/weird/should have been left out.

J Diddy
07-18-2005, 01:48 AM
I hated that movie. Even though the acting was good/great, it's too depressing. And the whole Clint Eastwood's REAL daughter story was incomplete/weird/should have been left out.

So now everyones a critic.

keg in kc
07-18-2005, 01:49 AM
So now everyones a critic.I thought that post was a bit short. Perhaps you were trying for "concise" or "to the point" but what you ended up with was "trite".

J Diddy
07-18-2005, 01:50 AM
I thought that post was a bit short. Perhaps you were trying for "concise" or "to the point" but what you ended up with was "trite".

Hows this for post length.

nlm

BigMeatballDave
07-18-2005, 01:53 AM
Watched it Saturday night. Great flick! Swank is a wonderful actress. Looks like she can really throw a punch, wouldn't wanna fight her...

ChiTown
07-18-2005, 07:24 AM
Watched it Saturday night. Great flick! Swank is a wonderful actress. Looks like she can really throw a punch, wouldn't wanna fight her...

Wow.

I watched it Friday night and I was totally into it. What a great flick. Morgan Freeman was outstanding.

Adept Havelock
07-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Fantastic film. Depressing? Yes. So is life on occassion. The function of art being to hold a mirror up to life/nature, that's gonna happen occasionally.

Those who prefer their glasses rose-colored need not watch. More copies to rent for the rest of us.

Michael Michigan
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
It's about a female boxer.

If I want to see chicks fight, I'm thinking more along the lines of jello being involved.

Is there any of that in the movie?

Chiefnj
07-18-2005, 10:48 AM
I rented it this weekend. Great movie, very well done. Not your typical Hollywood film where everything has to be bright and fuzzy.

Ninjaman
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
Orchestrated , manipulative ending to pull heart strings and sell books and movies.

ChiTown
07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
Orchestrated , manipulative ending to pull heart strings and sell books and movies.

Of course it was orchestrated......it's a movie.

Smoke
07-18-2005, 01:40 PM

I watched the movie last week. Went in not knowing much about it, other than it was supposed to be great. I was shocked when they showed her being from Theodosia, Mo. I live like 20 minutes from there and honestly it didn't piss me off or even upset me how they played up her family. The truth is there are people there just like her family...cheat on thier welfare, live in a trailer..yadda yadda. But they made it look like the whole town was a trailer park which it isn't. It's mostly lake homes filled with grumpy retired folks from St. Louis. It's really a nice looking place with some good bass fishing and alot of tourist camping in the summer. The actors accents were way off but I guess I'm getting picky with that.
I'd love to know how the writer decided to place her home town there. He/She would have had to visited the area at some point.
Later, Smoke

Carlota69
07-18-2005, 02:19 PM
I have to agree--the movie was incredible. I had no idea about the ending. Truly amazing.

Clint Eastwwod and Morgan Freeman are incredible actors/directors without a doubt, but Hillary Swank is phenomenal (Sp?). She deserved the Oscar for this flick and the one she got for "Boys Dont Cry". Both movies she gave fantastic performances. "For Boys Dont Cry" she lived as a guy for over a month just to get ready for the role.

But she isn't at the top of anyone list becasue she isn't the best looking actress out there. Too Bad, she one of the best of our time.

fan4ever
07-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I saw it tonight. I don't know if i would have given it 'oscar' props but it was good. I thought the ending is very 'melodramatic' and bit implausible.

Liked the movie till the ending.

I agree with you about the movie in general. I liked it a lot, but would have never guessed it received so many accolades had I not known. And as much as I liked the narration, it made me think of Shawshank Redemtion with boxing gloves. I don't think the Swank character was that demanding of a role for acting, but she certainly worked her ass off to come off as a boxer. Loved the nick-name.

Carlota69
07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I agree with you about the movie in general. I liked it a lot, but would have never guessed it received so many accolades had I not known. And as much as I liked the narration, it made me think of Shawshank Redemtion with boxing gloves. I don't think the Swank character was that demanding of a role for acting, but she certainly worked her ass off to come off as a boxer. Loved the nick-name.

Really? You don'th think the Swank character was demanding?Even the hospital scenes after the "life changing" fight? :hmmm:

Ninjaman
07-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Carlota. Is that your real photo ?

Hillary Swank seems to play rednecks real well.

I agree about her getting into shape to play boxer took dedication. I don't know if the role was that demanding.

The Aviator actress won the best female I think. Her Hepburn was just too good.

DaneMcCloud
07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Hillary Swank won Best Female Lead for Million Dollary Baby and Blanchett won for Best Supporting Actress for the Aviatior. That said, both women we extremely deserving and very impressive in their respective roles.

Dane

fan4ever
07-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Really? You don'th think the Swank character was demanding?Even the hospital scenes after the "life changing" fight? :hmmm:

Don't get me wrong; she did a great job, but I think the last time I saw a flick where the female acting really floored me was Charlize Theron in "Monster".

Carlota69
07-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Don't get me wrong; she did a great job, but I think the last time I saw a flick where the female acting really floored me was Charlize Theron in "Monster".

Well I agree with you there--Monster was intense and so was Charlize. She definetly deserved any accolade she recieved.

And to Ninjaman--yes it is my real picture.

ROYC75
07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
We watched it last night..... I was impressed with the way Hillary carried the part. She not only trained hard to look like a fighter in the ring, she had to of worked hard to play the hospital scenes.

The ending was bizarre, no follow up on the dirty boxer, his daughter, the gym or his whereabouts .

As for her looks, some of you are too damn picky, she is not bad looking at all. The body is nice, how many of you would kick it out of bed ?

fan4ever
07-19-2005, 09:56 AM
We watched it last night..... I was impressed with the way Hillary carried the part. She not only trained hard to look like a fighter in the ring, she had to of worked hard to play the hospital scenes.

The ending was bizarre, no follow up on the dirty boxer, his daughter, the gym or his whereabouts .

As for her looks, some of you are too damn picky, she is not bad looking at all. The body is nice, how many of you would kick it out of bed ?

I didn't know this until the other day when my niece told me; Hillary Swank played the lead in "The Karate Kid III"

Talk about humble beginnings.

Rausch
07-19-2005, 10:04 AM
That would be a mistake.

Well, no reason to buck tradition now...

Carlota69
07-19-2005, 11:23 AM
I didn't know this until the other day when my niece told me; Hillary Swank played the lead in "The Karate Kid III"

I think she was also in that really cheesy show 'Melrose Place"..

Deberg_1990
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM

she played the lead in the 4th film "The Next Karate Kid" She was also a regular on one season of Beverly Hills 90210 in the mid 1990's. Humble beginnings indeed.

ChiefFripp
07-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I bought the dvd the day it was released because a friend of mine whos taste I trust recommended it so highly. I wasn't dissapointed.

HemiEd
07-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Sold, going to rent it tomorrow. :D

cdcox
07-23-2005, 10:15 AM
I watched the movie last night. No question that it was a very well made film. But...

very slight spoiler below. Highlight with your curser if you want to read it.

[SLIGHT SPOILER]

It was also propaganda, which pretty much ruined the last third of the film for me.

[/SLIGHT SPOILER]

Phobia
07-23-2005, 10:56 AM
I rented it this weekend. Great movie, very well done. Not your typical Hollywood film where everything has to be bright and fuzzy.

We watched it last night. That's the reason I liked it. Spectacular. Hopefully Hollywood will follow this film's lead. "Too Hollywood" and "Like in the movies" or "Fairytale ending" are cliche' for a reason. I hate the predicability of most movies and this was one I didn't really see coming.

eazyb81
07-23-2005, 11:48 AM
Wow, it looks like I am in the minority on this film.

My girlfriend and I rented it last weekend on the recommendation of a friend of mine. We really enjoyed the first half of the film, but the second half of the movie was awful, especially the ending. It was such a stupid twist for the film to take, I don't know why they felt it was necessary for the film to completely go in another direction. Also, there is no way in hell those cheap shots would fly in a real boxing match.

In my opinion, this film was WAY overrated and certainly was not Oscar-worthy.

Baby Lee
07-23-2005, 11:52 AM
The merits of issues brought up by the ending aside, can someone explain how the ending developments built on the lessons of the first half of the film?

I mean, we're talking about a fighter, supposedly with a fighter's heart, then all of the sudden it's

"Awww, Ahh fell down. Life ain't perfect. Ahh juss wanna die. Hep me die bawss"

I mean, even that misspriss Scarlett O'Hara could stand up at the end and say 'tomorrow's another day.'

Guess that's why you don't manage girls.

Ninjaman
07-23-2005, 12:43 PM
It wan't believable to me.

Morgan Freeman won an Oscar for this ?

I also didn't think Hillary Swanks role was demanding except to get in shape.

Yeah, overrated.

Phobia
07-23-2005, 12:45 PM
I also didn't think Hillary Swanks role was demanding except to get in shape.

Yeah, because all girls punch like Mike Tyson.

Are you kidding me?

The film was great. Yeah, perhaps it's overrated. But it's not your typical garbage out of Hollywood. It was different and that's why it was highly rated, IMO. I liked it in spite of the accolades. I generally don't like Oscar winning films.

HemiEd
07-23-2005, 05:35 PM
Hey Hey, we watched it Thursday night. Good Flick! :thumb:

Dartgod
07-23-2005, 07:40 PM
I generally don't like Oscar winning films.
Me neither and i finally rented it the other night after reading all the good reviews here. I wasn't disappointed. Excellent flick, IMO.