PDA

View Full Version : Lunch question

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Why are grilled cheese sandwiches so expensive when you order them at a restaurant? I'm looking at a menu right now and they have them listed as $1.50.

I mean it is 2 pieces of bread and a slice of cheese and a little butter.

For cryin out loud, you could probably buy a package of cheese and a loaf of bread for $1.50.

I don't think labor in making one is that intensive, is it?

mlyonsd
07-15-2005, 11:12 AM
That'd be about a $20 meal for you then wouldn't it?

Iowanian
07-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Thats why I bought a sandwich maker, and started taking a loaf of bread, package of chese, pizza sauce and pepparoni's to work a few years ago......between that, and buying cases of pop...I saved a Ton of money on my car insurance.

I'm lucky enough now to only live a few blocks from work....its leftover BLT and Sweetcorn Day.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:15 AM
I'm lucky enough now to only live a few blocks from work....its leftover BLT and Sweetcorn Day.

You guys have sweetcorn already over there? :banghead:

mlyonsd
07-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Thats why I bought a sandwich maker, and started taking a loaf of bread, package of chese, pizza sauce and pepparoni's to work a few years ago......between that, and buying cases of pop...I saved a Ton of money on my car insurance.

I've never heard of a leftover BLT.

KCFalcon59
Because cooks hate making them.

ptlyon
That'd be about a $20 meal for you then wouldn't it?

shaaaaddddaaaaap post

mlyonsd
You guys have sweetcorn already over there? :banghead:

He buys it at Fareway. They sell the good stuff from Florida.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:18 AM
AND they have cheese balls for only $1.65.

More fat for the buck.

I think I'm going that route.

Iowanian
07-15-2005, 11:19 AM
I've never heard of a leftover BLT.

I bought 2lbs of bacon yesterday from the locker...cooked 1, for 2 people. That, and 4 ears of sweetcorn, was more than enough.

My secret source is bringing me as much Sweetcorn as I want at 3pm.....free. This is LOCAL grown, you fatheaded pecker puffer. There is no REAL corn in Floriduh.

I rule. you Drool.

gblowfish
07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
A guy I used to work with (who now works for one of my Evil Competitors) is taking me to lunch today. We loaned him some parts for a job. He's a good guy. And hey, free lunch, so WTF?!!

Simplex3
07-15-2005, 11:20 AM
The majority of the labor costs in serving you at the restaraunt don't come from the cooking. It's the waiter, the dishwasher, the bus boy, etc. The water to wash your dishes and any number of other things that don't change no matter what you order.

mlyonsd
07-15-2005, 11:21 AM
I bought 2lbs of bacon yesterday from the locker...cooked 1, for 2 people. That, and 4 ears of sweetcorn, was more than enough.

My secret source is bringing me as much Sweetcorn as I want at 3pm.....free.

I rule. you Drool.

I quit eating sweet corn years ago when I lost my teeth.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
A guy here at work said he got some sweet corn out Moville way last night - said it was excellent.

It's just starting Baby!!!

Iowanian
07-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Whatever...You know you cut it off the cob, and have PT chew it up for you.

I'll probably take 3-4dozen ears today......I'll cook some on the grill with Cabobs tonight, and just look at the rest and laugh.......knowing you don't have any yet.

Its really good and sweet too.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 11:23 AM
The majority of the labor costs in serving you at the restaraunt don't come from the cooking. It's the waiter, the dishwasher, the bus boy, etc. The water to wash your dishes and any number of other things that don't change no matter what you order.

Drive thru man, we're living in the drive thru

Simplex3
07-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Are you still looking for them or did you give up?

Simplex3
07-15-2005, 11:24 AM
Drive thru man, we're living in the drive thru
Well then, your costs are going to the disposables they have to give you and increased condiment packaging costs.

PastorMikH
07-15-2005, 11:25 AM

Interestingly enough, I got one of my front teeth knocked out playing basketball when I was a kid (Linebacker is my favorite position on the court). Now, when I eat corn on the cob, I can't eat with the partial in so I leave a trail all away around.

Jenson71
07-15-2005, 11:25 AM
Damn, that would suck not to be able to eat corn on the cob.

mlyonsd
07-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Whatever...You know you cut it off the cob, and have PT chew it up for you.

I'll probably take 3-4dozen ears today......I'll cook some on the grill with Cabobs tonight, and just look at the rest and laugh.......knowing you don't have any yet.

Its really good and sweet too.

Probably has worms. All Iowa corn does.

Skip Towne
07-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, and then KCChiefsman expects you to pay him to bring it to you.

mlyonsd
07-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Are you still looking for them or did you give up?

Teeth are way overrated.

Rain Man
07-15-2005, 12:28 PM
I can't believe they're only charging $1.50 for it. The grilled cheese sandwiches around here are always around $3 or more.

Having a $1.50 entree on your menu isn't a good idea in most cases. I'll bet it cannibalizes people from ordering more expensive items on the menu.

As a side note, we have a gourmet grilled cheese restaurant here in Denver. They've got something like 50 types of cheeses and 25 types of bread, and you order combinations. I haven't been there yet to see their pricing, though.

ptlyon
07-15-2005, 12:34 PM
For 3 bucks a Hooters type chick better bring it to me and hand feed me too.