PDA

View Full Version : Pick the five greatest all-time Chiefs from this list. Part 10.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Last but not least, we have our tenth poll.

Upon completion of this poll, we will move to the second round.

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Someone make it stop. Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease.

ChiTown
07-17-2005, 01:42 PM
DT, ET, Tyrer, and Wilson were no-brainers. I kicked in Woods because no one else was even close to being deserving, imo.

FloridaChief
07-17-2005, 01:47 PM
DT, ET, Tyrer, and Wilson were no-brainers. I kicked in Woods because no one else was even close to being deserving, imo.

Same here.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 01:48 PM
My top four were easy: Derrick, Emmitt, Jim Tyrer, and Jerrell Wilson.

Fifth was hard. Do I go with Jerome Woods, a long-time starter and one-time pro bowler? Brian Waters, an up and coming star with a pro bowl under his belt? Tamarick Vanover, an eye-opening kick returner? Eric Warfield, a long-time starter? or perhaps steady veterans such as Casey Wiegman, Wilbur Young, or Marvin Upshaw? In the end, I had to go with flash and take Tamarick Vanover.

old_geezer
07-17-2005, 01:49 PM

How about a write-in for Johnny Robinson?

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 01:49 PM
Ditto except I kicked in Waters. Why is Waters last year listed as 2003?

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Ditto except I kicked in Waters. Why is Waters last year listed as 2003?

These are all from the Chiefs media guide, which is a year out of date.

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 01:53 PM
I would've gone with Waters, too. He's one of the top guards in the league. Never been a big fan of Woods, and Wesley's been a disappointment the last year or two.

DJay23
07-17-2005, 01:59 PM
I went with the 4 automatics and then Vanover. He single handedly won a lot of games by himself.

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Vamarick Turnover.

Rausch
07-17-2005, 02:13 PM
The four idiots that voted for Warfield over Fred Williamson should be taken to an empty theater, eyes strapped open, and forced to watch all of "The Hammer's" blacksploitation flims...
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg

FloridaChief
07-17-2005, 02:16 PM
The four idiots that voted for Warfield over Fred Williamson should be taken to an empty theater, eyes strapped open, and forced to watch all of "The Hammer's" blacksploitation flims...

I didn't vote for Warfield. I Would have voted for Fred but his career was just too brief...

Great screen cap, btw...

Logical
07-17-2005, 02:21 PM
First 4 were easy

Derrick Thomas
Emmit Thomas
Jim Tyrer
Jerrel Wilson (2nd best punter of the modern age behind only Ray Guy)

then it got tough

In the end had to go with Mike Webster a steller player during his time with the Chiefs (at least as good as the other potential 5ths) and a true Hall of Famer for Canton

HemiEd
07-17-2005, 02:21 PM

Pretty much the same except I put Waters in to complete the five instead of Woods. I can not disagree that Woods may have been a wiser choice.

Phobia
07-17-2005, 02:25 PM
Pretty much the same except I put Waters in to complete the five instead of Woods. I can not disagree that Woods may have been a wiser choice.

Yeah - I picked Waters as well. Two years ago Woods would have gotten the nod.

HemiEd
07-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Yeah - I picked Waters as well. Two years ago Woods would have gotten the nod.

How do they say it? Waters has a better up side right now.

keg in kc
07-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Even if you don't take upside into consideration, Waters is already a better player at guard than Woods ever was at safety. Maybe that's the surrounding cast. Maybe it's not.

chefsos
07-17-2005, 02:50 PM
After clicking the first 2 names, I figured I had better back off or risk going all ghostof and annoying Phobia.

I needn't have been concerned.
After DT, Emmitt, and Jerrel Wilson, slim pickin's. Well, here they are:

DT- 'nuff said.

Emmitt Thomas-Great CB, longevity

Jerrell Wilson- He and Stenerud were there when I became a fan. I thought great kicking was a given every year. Boy was I wrong.

Jim Tyrer and Brian Waters- Good, but I think I am picking too many O-linemen.

Who's gonna pick Warfield?

chefsos
07-17-2005, 02:56 PM
How about a write-in for Johnny Robinson?

He's already in. (Isn't he?)
Crap. Looked it up, he just missed.

DJJasonp
07-17-2005, 02:57 PM
My fifth was Toungue.....I think in their primes, Tongue was a bit better than Woods....a big hitter too.

heapshake
07-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Well my fifth went for Robb Thomas because he was one of my favorite receivers when I was a kid (I'm not sure why though) and I knew no one else was going to vote for him.

chefsos
07-17-2005, 03:18 PM
.....I think in their primes, Tongue was a bit better than Woods....

I think in my prime, my Tongue was a bit better than my Wood(s), too.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Well my fifth went for Robb Thomas because he was one of my favorite receivers when I was a kid (I'm not sure why though) and I knew no one else was going to vote for him.

You're absolutely right.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 03:30 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/cultureshock/flashpoints/theater/images/clockwork_big.jpg
Heh, "The Hammer" had to be carried off the field in SB I.

Zebedee DuBois
07-17-2005, 03:31 PM
My fifth vote went to Wiegeman as a nod to our Oline.

I remember Rob Thomas as a third down guy who would make an outstanding catch and then have to be carted off the field.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 03:33 PM
After clicking the first 2 names, I figured I had better back off or risk going all ghostof and annoying Phobia.

I needn't have been concerned.
After DT, Emmitt, and Jerrel Wilson, slim pickin's. Well, here they are:

DT- 'nuff said.

Emmitt Thomas-Great CB, longevity

Jerrell Wilson- He and Stenerud were there when I became a fan. I thought great kicking was a given every year. Boy was I wrong.

Jim Tyrer and Brian Waters- Good, but I think I am picking too many O-linemen.

Who's gonna pick Warfield?
Tyrer was the left tackle on the best team we ever had. He committed suicide for those of you that didn't know.

KChiefs1
07-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Four were no-brainers & I voted for Waters based upon his potential to be a possible 10+ year All-Pro performer for the Chiefs in the future.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 03:42 PM
When does round 2 start? You aren't going to leave us sitting on the runway again are you?

chefsos
07-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Tyrer was the left tackle on the best team we ever had. He committed suicide for those of you that didn't know.

Damn. I forgot about the suicide. I did vote for him, but kinda lumped him and Waters together in my rather confusing post.

cdcox
07-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I went with the big four, then had to take Fred "The Hammer" Williamson. Any guy who's knickname is based on a now-illegal "tackling" technique is okay in my book. I imagine he dropped the hammer on a few Raiders, back in the day. I imagine Williamson would have said a thing or two if Joe Jurevicius tried to punch him in the face.

chiefs4me
07-17-2005, 04:46 PM
hmmmmm

Thomas,D :(
Thomas,E
Waters,B
Wison,J
Wesley,G

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 04:52 PM
hmmmmm

Thomas,D :(
Thomas,E
Waters,B
Wison,J
Wesley,G
Wesley > Tyrer?

milkman
07-17-2005, 04:52 PM
I went with the No-Brainers,
DT
ET
JT
JW.

After that it was a crap shoot.
I think Waters will become one of the greats, but he hasn't yet.
Wiegman isn't.

In the end, I went with the Hammer.
He wasn't great, but better than Woods, and he's something of an icon in Chiefs lore.

Logical
07-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Damn. I forgot about the suicide. I did vote for him, but kinda lumped him and Waters together in my rather confusing post.That suicide has likely kept Tyrer from being inducted into the Pro Football HOF in Canton. He certainly deserved to be in.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 04:57 PM
That suicide has likely kept Tyrer from being inducted into the Pro Football HOF in Canton. He certainly deserved to be in.
Oh, I dunno. Flo says Greg Wesley is better than Tyrer.

Logical
07-17-2005, 05:02 PM
He's already in. (Isn't he?)
Crap. Looked it up, he just missed.
How in the name of all that is holy did Jack Rudnay and Ed Podolak end up in and Johnny Robinson perhaps in the top 7 all time Chiefs end up left out. Wow what an unbelievable injustice. Course what is worse is that really Podolak made it with a huge vote given he had only one game worthy of consideration. Granted it was an unbelievable game, but it was still just one game.

chefsos
07-17-2005, 05:02 PM

Well, I'd give him the nod too, but only because he's breathing.

Logical
07-17-2005, 05:06 PM

I just know she has at least made an effort lately. Lame choice of course but she ain't the only person ignorant of the truly great Chiefs of the past.

Also this alpabetical methodology has created some inequities with really weak players making it because alphabetically our strength in players is not well distributed. But Kevin has addressed this already so I am no longer complaining (I would just hope he takes a few liberties for cases like Robinson.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 05:08 PM
I just know she has at least made an effort lately. Lame choice of course but she ain't the only person ignorant of the truly great Chiefs of the past.

Also this alpabetical methodology has created some inequities with really weak players making it because alphabetically our strength in players is not well distributed. But Kevin has addressed this already so I am no longer complaining (I would just hope he takes a few liberties for cases like Robinson.

I'm going to check the figures, but I'm leaning toward letting anyone into the second round who garnered more than 5 percent of their poll votes in the first round.

Logical
07-17-2005, 05:10 PM
I'm going to check the figures, but I'm leaning toward letting anyone into the second round who garnered more than 5 percent of their poll votes in the first round.:thumb:

heapshake
07-17-2005, 05:32 PM
That suicide has likely kept Tyrer from being inducted into the Pro Football HOF in Canton. He certainly deserved to be in.

I imagine the murder before the suicide has probably played more of a role in keeping him out then the suicide itself.

Phobia
07-17-2005, 05:34 PM
If Robinson was so drastically overlooked in the first round, that injustice will simply repeat itself into the second.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
If Robinson was so drastically overlooked in the first round, that injustice will simply repeat itself into the second.

Yeah, but he'll get a nice second-round plaque.

Logical
07-17-2005, 06:05 PM
I imagine the murder before the suicide has probably played more of a role in keeping him out then the suicide itself.OK I have forgotten that, did he kill his wife then himself?

Logical
07-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Just out of curiousity Kevin is the 2nd round going to be grouped by position played, decade played or :Lin: alphabetically again?

4th and Long
07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
OK I have forgotten that, did he kill his wife then himself?
It would be kinda hard to do it in reverse fashion, don't you think?

Logical
07-17-2005, 06:09 PM
It would be kinda hard to do it in reverse fashion, don't you think?Uh, the question is not that but who did he kill? I really don't remember that.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 06:15 PM
Just out of curiousity Kevin is the 2nd round going to be grouped by position played, decade played or :Lin: alphabetically again?

I'm leaning toward doing a completely random shuffle. The decade thing wouldn't be bad, but I think it would lead to some great 60s players getting knocked out before some less great 70s or 80s players.

I think Tyrer killed his wife, didn't he? I wouldn't have remembered the murder part of it without the hypnosis on the other thread.

Skip Towne
07-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Uh, the question is not that but who did he kill? I really don't remember that.
Me either. Don't remember the murder part.

Logical
07-17-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm leaning toward doing a completely random shuffle. The decade thing wouldn't be bad, but I think it would lead to some great 60s players getting knocked out before some less great 70s or 80s players.

I think Tyrer killed his wife, didn't he? I wouldn't have remembered the murder part of it without the hypnosis on the other thread.

You are right about the decade part and a random shuffle seems like a good way to handle. This is why you are the Planet Poll Professional (PPP for short)

Hey I am no KCJohnny.

milkman
07-17-2005, 07:02 PM
You are right about the decade part and a random shuffle seems like a good way to handle. This is why you are the Planet Poll Professional (PPP for short)

Hey I am no KCJohnny.

We all know that KCJimmy! :rolleyes:

Crush
07-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Definately DT, ET, Tyrer, and Wilson. I went with Vanover as the 5th because he was the Dante of yesteryear.

Phobia
07-17-2005, 08:50 PM

Yes, he killed his wife. Local rumor says some of the Chiefs were involved in some wife-swapping/swinging activites that led to the Tyrer tragedy.

whoman69
07-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Wonder how this is all going to play out in the end? Many of these lists had 6 deserving while some only had 4. Johnny Robinson not making the final cut would be a travesty. He is perhaps the greatest safety in the history of the Chiefs.