PDA

View Full Version : A philosophical question about banning.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 06:24 PM
The moderators ban a person VS. everyone on the board puts that person on ignore. Please compare and contrast.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I'll have a nice little treatise on this in a few minutes. I consider myself an expert in this field.

luv
07-17-2005, 06:26 PM
The moderators ban a person VS. everyone on the board puts that person on ignore. Please compare and contrast.
I would say ignoring someone is a personal option. If enough people complain, or if the moderators feel someone is out of line, well, they are the moderators for a reason. Banning is up to them.

Rain Man
07-17-2005, 06:27 PM
I'll have a nice little treatise on this in a few minutes. I consider myself an expert in this field.

ROFL We'll defer to the Einstein of banning.

Logical
07-17-2005, 06:35 PM
Unless a moderator takes away thread creation privelages you still see the threads created by people on iggy.

Also a person banned cannot be quoted. You can still see the quotes from the people you have on iggy. Basically the moderators have an obligation not to iggy anyone themselves (at least I felt that way) so since they are human they might still quote them.

So a ban is far more comprehensive.

Hammock Parties
07-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Regular ban: Thinking nothing is wrong and you're A-OK (sometimes, not always), you log onto your favorite internet message board. Suddenly a pang of fear rips through your guts as you see the image below:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/4937/banned0zm.jpg

Yes, you've seen it many times before. You know what it means. Did you accidentally click "edit" on another poster's message? You reload the website to be sure. No, no, you're banned. Hopefully it's not an IP ban. If it's not, you can just log out and browse the board as a guest, but then you have to deal with those annoying multiple page thread links.

Oh shit. It IS an IP ban.

Well, time to turn on your proxy. You used to use www.anonymizer.com, but it's kind of a hassle and doesn't work as well. Proxies rule. You remember the day you discovered how to use them. It was like being reborn. The air crackled with power at the moment of discovery.

Hahahahaha! You'll never catch me now, you evil moderators!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Global Ignore: Dum deedily doo. Time to check Chiefsplanet. What's the flavor of today? Ah, dumbassery. Hey! A football thread. Oh, I have an opinion on that.

*clicketyclicketyclickety* *clickety click* *click clickety* *click* *tap*

Dum de do. Maybe that will incite Taco. Oooh, this thread looks funny.

*clicketyclicketyclickety* *tap* *tap* *clickety click* *tap* *click clickety* *click* *tap*

That's funny. I hope I get some rep for that one. Hey, Taco's on! I wonder if he saw my football post?

Hmmm. Nope. Let's see if anyone liked my joke.

What? Come on. It's been like 15 minutes. Surely someone saw it. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

Ooh! Hey! Good thread idea!

*clicketyclicketyclickety* *tap* *tap* *clickety click* *tap* *click clickety* *click* *tap* *clicketyclicketyclickety* *clickety click* *click clickety* *click* *tap*

Alright. That's sure to get some replies. Top shelf dumbassery right there!

I'm thirsty. BRB.

Hmmm. No replies yet?

WTF is going on?

Heeeeeeeey....wait a second.

*logs out*

WTF IS GOING ON?

Shit.

chiefs4me
07-17-2005, 08:45 PM
ROFL

Herzig
07-17-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't really have an opinion on this subject. I've got your poll on "iggy".

HemiEd
07-17-2005, 09:17 PM
When reading the question literally, the end result would be the same. That poster would not be seen, read or answered by anybody since everyone has that poster on ignore.
However they are not the same because the Mod can do it with a lot less effort overall.

Mr. Laz
07-17-2005, 09:23 PM
only ban if the person is a troll

irritating is not a troll ... that's where iggy comes in as a individual choice.

Bowser
07-17-2005, 09:24 PM
I'd give a detailed explanation of what I think of the subject, but chances are nobody would see it.

Frazod
07-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Oh shit. It IS an IP ban.

Well, time to turn on your proxy. You used to use www.anonymizer.com (http://www.anonymizer.com), but it's kind of a hassle and doesn't work as well. Proxies rule. You remember the day you discovered how to use them. It was like being reborn. The air crackled with power at the moment of discovery.

Hahahahaha! You'll never catch me now, you evil moderators!

This is when the moderators should come to your house and chop your fingers off with an axe.

:)

Hammock Parties
07-17-2005, 09:42 PM
This is when the moderators should come to your house and chop your fingers off with an axe.

:)

You talk it types.

ChiTown
07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
If we never banned Taco Bell, we should never ban anbody.

Logical
07-17-2005, 09:56 PM
When reading the question literally, the end result would be the same. That poster would not be seen, read or answered by anybody since everyone has that poster on ignore.
However they are not the same because the Mod can do it with a lot less effort overall.Even if you take it literally it is not true because the current version we are using of vBB has not been hacked so that you won't see a thread created by a user on your iggy list.

StcChief
07-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned meaning acct can't post.

The banned BB user will just get a new acct, under fictious name.

Hammock Parties
07-18-2005, 12:23 AM
Even if you take it literally it is not true because the current version we are using of vBB has not been hacked so that you won't see a thread created by a user on your iggy list.

That is wrong. I saw a thread created by rxrider the other day. There was no first post but I could go into the thread and see replies.

Logical
07-18-2005, 12:26 AM
That is wrong. I saw a thread created by rxrider the other day. There was no first post but I could go into the thread and see replies.Really, so they fixed that. That should make Gaz happy. I don't think I have anyone on Iggy at least no one active anymore. LOL like I would know since they are on iggy. I guess I need to go check.

Logical
07-18-2005, 12:29 AM
Hmmm I have LeftytheRight on iggy and someone I do not remember at all DavidWilliams. I think the first guy has been banned but I have no idea who the second one is or how he ended up on my iggy list.

HemiEd
07-18-2005, 05:33 AM
Even if you take it literally it is not true because the current version we are using of vBB has not been hacked so that you won't see a thread created by a user on your iggy list.

Oh, I did not know that. I only recently used the function for the first time and I guess that person has not started any threads since then. Thanks for clearing that up.

Gaz
07-18-2005, 05:38 AM
Banning is for crimes against the Planet.

Ignore is for people who diminish MY enjoyment of the Planet.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has his cursor on the button.

Kerberos
07-18-2005, 05:46 AM
That is wrong. I saw a thread created by rxrider the other day. There was no first post but I could go into the thread and see replies.

I will bury the hatchet if you will GoatCheese? Take me off iggy for one second and you will see I am trying to be civil. I have extended this offer once before but you can't seem to get past your own self pity to see my post!

Ball is in YOUR court.

Skip Towne
07-18-2005, 06:08 AM
So if I put BigRedChief on iggy will the word association thread go away?

chiefs4me
07-18-2005, 07:12 PM
So if I put BigRedChief on iggy will the word association thread go away?

ROFL...omg

Logical
07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
I will bury the hatchet if you will GoatCheese? Take me off iggy for one second and you will see I am trying to be civil. I have extended this offer once before but you can't seem to get past your own self pity to see my post!

Ball is in YOUR court.

.In case this is a serious offer and he actually has you on iggy I will quote you.

Hammock Parties
07-18-2005, 07:27 PM
In case this is a serious offer and he actually has you on iggy I will quote you.

I took him off yesterday, Saulbadguy alerted me.

Logical
07-18-2005, 07:28 PM
I took him off yesterday, Saulbadguy alerted me.Very good, hope it works out.