PDA

View Full Version : stealing the internet?

Demonpenz
07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I would like to say that don't keep up on computers like I once did, but last year i bought a wireless network card and a router. Now all this time i thought that they had to be the same brand for it to work. Well today i brought a computer out of my parents basement back to work on it in lenexa. So i get it out and reinstall windows and start surfing the net then I then stop (as my modem was not plugged) and am like how the fug am i surfing the net? I guess someone where i live named big pappa didn't secure is network. I thought it was pretty funny

Hammock Parties
07-17-2005, 06:54 PM
Wardriving rules.

Iowanian
07-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Wasn't there a court ruling last week, where someone got thier ass popped for using someone's unprotected Network?

Coach
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Wasn't there a court ruling last week, where someone got thier ass popped for using someone's unprotected Network?

I believe you are correct.

Been nice knowing you Demonpenz. :p

Demonpenz
07-17-2005, 07:13 PM
It wasn't working that well anyway. I should put a giant X outside now or something

Fire Me Boy!
07-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I did a story for a newspaper in the KC area detailing a drive from one side of the city to the other side where they guy NEVER lost internet connection on his laptop... got to doing some searching around, and some of the unsecured connections were MAJOR companies... scary shit.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 08:25 AM
I did a story for a newspaper in the KC area detailing a drive from one side of the city to the other side where they guy NEVER lost internet connection on his laptop... got to doing some searching around, and some of the unsecured connections were MAJOR companies... scary shit.

It's common just about everywhere.

Fire Me Boy!
07-18-2005, 08:27 AM
It's common just about everywhere.
I know, but it's friggin' scary if you think about the companies who are completely open to attack... the guy that I did the story with (the wardriver) said several of these large companies he could get right in and look at/change account information... easily.

jspchief
07-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Someone in Florida just got busted for it.

My personal opinion is, if you leave your faucet running, don't be suprised when someone drinks from it. It should be the responsibility of the person who buys the internet service to secure it from leeches.

jspchief
07-18-2005, 09:15 AM
I know, but it's friggin' scary if you think about the companies who are completely open to attack... the guy that I did the story with (the wardriver) said several of these large companies he could get right in and look at/change account information... easily.I don't think that's accurate, but I'm no expert.

The way I understood it, the person leeching the service was exposing themselves, not vice versa.

Fire Me Boy!
07-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I don't think that's accurate, but I'm no expert.

The way I understood it, the person leeching the service was exposing themselves, not vice versa.
The guy said he could EASILY start opening their files. :shrug:

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 09:28 AM
I don't think that's accurate, but I'm no expert.

Generally, if I'm someone who was going to utilize a wide-open 802.11 AP, I'm gonna take steps to conceal my presence and prevent exposure of my own data.

At one time, I could walk down to the local mall here and check out internal data of your typical mall jeweler, cell phone kiosk, or clothing store. That kind of thing is less prevalent as those types of companies hire people like me to fix it. ;)

Kerberos
07-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Generally, if I'm someone who was going to utilize a wide-open 802.11 AP, I'm gonna take steps to conceal my presence and prevent exposure of my own data.

At one time, I could walk down to the local mall here and check out internal data of your typical mall jeweler, cell phone kiosk, or clothing store. That kind of thing is less prevalent as those types of companies hire people like me to fix it. ;)

I agree ... what is so hard about getting into a router and starting up WEP and if you have a NICE wireless router it will have the MAC table and put all MAC address in that are allowed to access the network. Time consuming but VERY secure.

I realize most owners/CEO's don't have the first clue on securing a network ... but that is why they need to hire people like us to secure it for them.

:D

Bowser
07-18-2005, 10:35 AM
I seriously doubt Gore would let the internet out of his closet long enough to have anyone steal it. Sheesh.

htismaqe
07-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree ... what is so hard about getting into a router and starting up WEP and if you have a NICE wireless router it will have the MAC table and put all MAC address in that are allowed to access the network. Time consuming but VERY secure.

I realize most owners/CEO's don't have the first clue on securing a network ... but that is why they need to hire people like us to secure it for them.

:D

I use WEP at home just to keep my web browsing etc. from being out there in clear text for anyone with a sniffer to see. If I'm doing work stuff, I use IPSec, since WEP pretty much sucks.

For SECURITY, I use MAC filtering and anti-spoofing. And I use the MOST secure installation out there:

I turn the wireless radio off when I'm not using it. :D