PDA

View Full Version : Rod Gardner to be released

Mile High Mania
07-18-2005, 10:37 AM
It's a football thread, so hopefully that's cool.. :p

Gardner is about to be released and there's no doubt he'll find a lot of interests. I would really like to see him go outside of the AFCW. I think Gardner has huge upside in the right system and if the Chargers or Chiefs were to sign him, I think he would be a great fit.

I wonder if a team like Atlanta or Cleveland, possibly even the Giants would make a strong push for him. I don't think he's a #1 caliber guy, but I'm not sure that he can't become a top starter.

Atlanta is really needing help at receiver since Price has never paid off and with Edwards holding out in CLE and no other true threat to name, I would think they would be greatly interested.

The Chargers have McCardell and some talented youth like Caldwell, but I think Gardner could have a hell of an impact for that team. Same goes for KC... which is why I would not like to see him go to either club.

Granted, he'd be a great fantasy option as a #3 receiver with the Bolts or Chiefs.

+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+
| Year TM | G | Att Yards Y/A TD | Rec Yards Y/R TD |
| 2001 was | 16 | 1 16 16.0 0 | 46 741 16.1 4 |
| 2002 was | 16 | 1 1 1.0 0 | 71 1006 14.2 8 |
| 2003 was | 16 | 0 0 0.0 0 | 59 600 10.2 5 |
| 2004 was | 16 | 3 7 2.3 0 | 51 650 12.7 5 |
| TOTAL | 64 | 5 24 4.8 0 | 227 2997 13.2 22

His top QB in those years were Banks and Ramsey... not exactly stellar, but he still had 50+ catches in 3 of the 4 years... he has a nice YPC average and has pulled in 600+ with 5 TDs each of the last 2 seasons.

In 2002, he showed a lot of potential and I think the last 2 seasons he's really suffered with the changes on the team. I think this guy could really rock on a solid offense.

Imagine what he could do in Philly, now there's an option I just thought about... or with the Vikings or god forbid the Rams, but I think the last 2 are pretty set with WR depth.

Bowser
07-18-2005, 10:42 AM
Ehhh, opinions of Gardner are lukewarm at best around here. He apparently comes with the nickname "50/50", meaning that's what he catches most of the time.

I think he would make a good #2, or a great #3 for some team. He has the size, just not the blazing speed. Could be a low risk/high reward guy for the right team.

wasi
07-18-2005, 10:52 AM
It's a football thread, so hopefully that's cool.. :p

Gardner is about to be released and there's no doubt he'll find a lot of interests. I would really like to see him go outside of the AFCW. I think Gardner has huge upside in the right system and if the Chargers or Chiefs were to sign him, I think he would be a great fit.

I wonder if a team like Atlanta or Cleveland, possibly even the Giants would make a strong push for him. I don't think he's a #1 caliber guy, but I'm not sure that he can't become a top starter.

Atlanta is really needing help at receiver since Price has never paid off and with Edwards holding out in CLE and no other true threat to name, I would think they would be greatly interested.

The Chargers have McCardell and some talented youth like Caldwell, but I think Gardner could have a hell of an impact for that team. Same goes for KC... which is why I would not like to see him go to either club.

Granted, he's be a great fantasy option as a #3 receiver with the Bolts or Chiefs.

I've never seen him live, only on TV but he doesn't look very fast. Most of the longer catches I've seen him make are jump balls. Gardner isn't very elusive and doesn't gain much after the catch from what I've seen. This doesn't make him a very good fit for a KC receiver in the current offense. The Chiefs have TG and Kris Wilson as jump-ball recievers already.
I could see the Chargers interested in him if he is a good run blocker. Gardner seems like a Derrick Alexander to me, which is why I could see Marty's interest in him for SD.
The same goes for ATL. If he can improve the run-blocking then he should get some interest. However, ATL did draft a WR in the first this year.
I actually think the Packers might be interested as they coud have trouble keeping Jevon Walker past this season.

Deberg_1990
07-18-2005, 11:04 AM
He will end up in Sand Diego with Marty again. Marty drafted the guy. Bank on it.

Electric
07-18-2005, 11:07 AM
My guess is that MHM thinks he can convince us that the donko's cast offs are better than what we currently have. I'm not so sure he hasn't been drinking the sacremental wine.

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Cut Fred-Ex and grab him.

Mile High Mania
07-18-2005, 11:18 AM
My guess is that MHM thinks he can convince us that the donko's cast offs are better than what we currently have. I'm not so sure he hasn't been drinking the sacremental wine.

And, where did you read anything in this thread regarding Denver...

Mr. Laz
07-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Cut Fred-Ex and grab him.

we don't have to cut mitchell, his contract is so cheap he doesn't even count against the cap yet.

neither does Ambrose iirc