PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Hawkeye 2-Deeps for August camp

vailpass
07-20-2005, 01:15 PM
A lot of new names along the D-line; Greenway and Hodge may have their hands full early on..

July 18, 2005
Iowa releases new two deeps
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Blair Sanderson
Staff
Associated Press
Included in the 2005 Media Guide for Iowa Hawkeye football are the new two deeps as August camp approaches for Coach Kirk Ferentz and the Hawkeyes. Read on for the new two deeps, released just this week.

OFFENSE

LT - Ben Gates, Nyere Aumaitre
LG - Ben Cronin, David Walker
C - Brian Ferentz, Todd Plagman
RG - Mike Elgin, Seth Olsen
RT - Mike Jones, Marshal Yanda
TE - Ryan Majerus, Scott Chandler
WR - Clinton Solomon, Calvin Davis
WR - Ed Hinkel, Matt Melloy OR Herb Grigsby
QB - Drew Tate, Jason Manson
FB - Tom Busch, Paul Wilson
RB - Marques Simmons OR Sam Brownlee OR Damian Sims, Marcus Schnoor OR Albert Young

DEFENSE

DE - Kenny Iwebema, Jacob Spratt
DT - Matt Kroul, Alex Willcox OR Ettore Ewen
DT - Nate Roos, Mitch King
DE - Bryan Mattison OR Mike Follett, Ted Bentler
OLB - Ed Miles, Chris Kuehl
MLB - Abdul Hodge, Zach Gabelmann OR Mike Klinkenborg
WLB - Chad Greenway, Mike Klinkenborg OR Mike Humpal
CB - Jovon Johnson, Bradley Fletcher
CB - Antwan Allen, Adam Shada
SS - Miguel Merrick OR Marcus Paschal, Devan Moylan
FS - Charles Godfrey, Andrew Becker

SPECIAL TEAMS

K - Kyle Schlicher
P - Andy Fenstermaker OR John Gallery

dpool2002
07-20-2005, 01:18 PM
For some reason I can't post a new thread so hopefully someone can copy this post and make a new thread about it so people can see.

Here is the Derrick Johnson video from his 4 years at Texas to show you guys the type of player you're getting. You need divx to download.

IF someone could please make a new post with this in it I would really appreciate it.

http://www.jcdenton40.com/DerrickJohnson.html

Hope the link format works, if not, if someone could also correct that. Thanks and let me know what you think in the new thread!

Saulbadguy
07-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Defense should be awesome. Don't know about the O.

shakesthecat
07-20-2005, 01:34 PM
Defense should be awesome. Don't know about the O.

As long as Tate is healthy, the O will be just fine.
Remember, last year they were down to the 5th string RB and still won 10 games.

Plus, if there's one thing Ferentz knows how to do, it's develop O linemen.

vailpass
07-20-2005, 01:42 PM
As long as Tate is healthy, the O will be just fine.
Remember, last year they were down to the 5th string RB and still won 10 games.

Plus, if there's one thing Ferentz knows how to do, it's develop O linemen.

You are right on however I would sincerely like our chances better if we didn't have the #145 ranked rushing O this year.

We have some new O & D linemen who will be tested early and often. If we can get out of the first half of the season with only one loss we will be in good shape for a big bowl.

Iowanian
07-20-2005, 02:11 PM
To me, the biggest 2 questions for the Hawks are obvious.....How will the 4 new starters on D line step in, and Will one of the RBs step up and be somebody?

The Oline was young last year....should be improved. Giving Tait time to throw to Hinkle and Solomon will produce results.

jspchief
07-20-2005, 02:12 PM
I think our offense is going to kick ass this year. Tate is going to continueto get better, and our receiving corps of Hinkel, Solomon, Davis in the slot, and Chandler at TE should be very good. Look for a big year from Clinton Solomon. The O-line will be solid. Jones and Elgin will be good, and hopefully Ferentz can avoid snapping the ball over the QB's head. The only question is the running game, and I think it's more about health than talent. As long as we can keep guys healthy, one of these guys will emerge as a solid RB.

The D actually scares me more. The D-line is a big question mark, although the coaches claim a few of these kids would have been starting last year for other Big 10 schools. Obviously the LBs are going to kick ass. Probably among the best LB corps in college. Allen and Johnson are solid corners, and it's interesting to see someone pushing Paschal for the starting SS spot.

I think the team has been a little overhyped here in IA. But if they can get their feet under them in time for the ISU game, hopefully it will build confidence for a tough Big 10 opener at Ohio State. I could see them losing that opener, then not losing again.

I'm still pissed at Missouri for pussing out. We could have used that test early in the year, not to mention the strength of schedule ranking.

htismaqe
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm not as worried about the defensive line as some are.

Iwebema and Mattison will be strong. The tackles worry me a little (anybody else notice that it appears Richard Kittrell has left the team?) but I look at it this way.

When guys like Robinson and Babineaux came in, they were 3-4 out of 10 kinda guys. Roth was highly recruited, but he was also a LB. They GREW into pretty good linemen. These guys coming in are ahead of where Robinson was when he arrived, and they're WAY ahead of guys like Tyler Luebke and Jared Clauss (who is actually contributing at DT for the Titans).