PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Chiefs Preview

BossKiller
07-20-2005, 01:49 PM
My site Chiefscoalition.com has an exclusive season preview written up by the guys at footballoutsiders.com. It's a view of the season based on the unique way footballoutsiders breaks downs games, seasons, etc. I personally think they are a little off but hey, at this time of year any good read is worth it. Check it out at http://www.chiefscoalition.com

Enjoy!

Reaper16
07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks. That was pretty good. They talked about how great the defensive additions were, and how the offense has depth...
...and then get the conclusion that we're going to be mediocre again. That last section came out of nowhere. "The team looks good, but you only have a 26% chance to win 11 games."

regald
07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
If any of you go to the Chiefs homepage and look at the press conference held after drafting Derrick Johnson, Carl Peterson and Dick Vermeil almost summed up the draft as a crap shoot.

"Sometimes they workout, sometimes they don't, you move", etc. They said their prior 1st round picks were projects and it could've been their fault for drafting them so high. They also said they had no idea how well Derrick Johnson would pick up the defense. I can away with the impression that Peterson's ability to scout talent specifically for Vermeil is mediocre and it seemed like he acknowledged that. Vermeil's also not one to teach defensive players.

oldandslow
07-20-2005, 02:38 PM
If we come out of the gate 2-2, I think we will be ok.

Otherwise, who knows.

Calcountry
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
If we come out of the gate 2-2, I think we will be ok.

Otherwise, who knows.2-2 is the mark, because those are a tough 4 games. 3-1, and its time to get really excited. 1-3, just another year in Chiefs Paradise.

alpha_omega
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Interesting, however this quote from the article makes me wonder exactly how much the author knows about our team.

John Wellbourn/Jordan Black battle at right tackle

I beleive Welbourn is back to guard. IIRC, it is Black and Sampson.

milkman
07-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Interesting, however this quote from the article makes me wonder exactly how much the author knows about our team.

I beleive Welbourn is back to guard. IIRC, it is Black and Sampson.

There are always mistakes like this in articles about the Chiefs, but this was one of the most up to date one I've seen.

And the formula for adjusted line yards was really quite interesting, and really gives some ammo for those who might argue that the Chiefs D-Line isn't as bad as most of us perceive it to be, myself included.

It also confirms what we all knew.
Our LBs and secondary sucked in just about evey aspect of their play.

keg in kc
07-20-2005, 05:01 PM
And the formula for adjusted line yards was really quite interesting, and really gives some ammo for those who might argue that the Chiefs D-Line isn't as bad as most of us perceive it to be, myself included.Sounds interesting, might have to read it.

This is the year we find out for sure what we have on the d-line. We won't be able to point fingers at anyone else now that 4 or 5 positions behind them have been upgraded. Significantly.

ChiefGator
07-20-2005, 07:53 PM
I have two comments:

1) WEBSITE AESTHETICS.
BossKiller, I am real happy to see anyone maintaining a Chiefs site. That said, it is hard to look at your site for me. My screen is not just 600 pixels wide... please let it adjust to my larger screen. It is too narrow right now. This narrowness contributes to the busy-ness of the page, and contributes to my immediate desire to look away. The lead story on this page starts out a mere 1 inch wide.

2) REBUILDING
I'm damn tired of hearing about rebuilding years. The suggestion of the author that we may have a rebuilding year if we don't win it all this year is both assinine and obvious.

i) Every year is a 'rebuilding' year in the NFL
ii) Hasn't this offseason been a rebuilding year for our defense already?
iii) We lose our coach next year most likely. Doesn't that pretty much imply some rebuilding?

The word is used too lightly now, when before it seemed to mean dumping all your high-priced players and sucking for 2-3 years. I don't see that happening with the CHiefs, and neither does the author I think. ANd yet he speaks of rebuilding.

Other than that.. I liked it.

Mark