PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: Warfield’s status paints Chiefs into a corner...

DaWolf
07-22-2005, 01:44 AM
Warfield's status puts Chiefs into a corner (http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12192676.htm)

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Eric Warfield will receive plenty of practice time when the Chiefs begin training camp next week.

He just won’t be getting any as a starter.

Coach Dick Vermeil indicated the Chiefs hope to keep Warfield as sharp as possible during camp but plan to waste no time finding his replacement at starting cornerback for the first four games of the regular season.

Vermeil said veteran Dexter McCleon would be given first shot at Warfield’s job. Benny Sapp would be next in a line that also includes Ashley Ambrose.

Warfield was suspended by the NFL for the first four games for violating the league’s substance-abuse policy. He is eligible to return for the Oct. 16 game against Washington at Arrowhead Stadium.

“He’ll practice just like he would be playing, except he’s not going to be in the starting unit,” Vermeil said. “He’ll get his share. We’re going to do everything we can to make sure that if he’s going to be our starter after four games, he’s prepared to be the starter.”

That sounds as if it’s less than a sure thing Warfield will be handed his starting job back once he returns. There is precedent for a cornerback losing his starting job because of injury.

In 2003, McCleon replaced injured William Bartee for the start of the season and played so well he kept the job once Bartee returned.

Vermeil said the Chiefs plan to bring Warfield back as the starter against Washington.

“Normally, a guy would not lose his starting job due to injury and this would be in the same category,” Vermeil said. “But if someone else is playing the position so much better than it was being played, then you have an obligation to the team to play the best player. Eric was our best corner last year. There’s no reason to believe he won’t be as good or better this year. He had the best offseason he’s ever had.”

Warfield couldn’t be reached for comment. He did release a statement Thursday through his agent, Craig Domann, and apologized for his actions leading to the suspension.

Warfield pleaded no contest in January to driving under the influence of alcohol. The Overland Park incident was the third time in three years Warfield was charged with DUI in Johnson County.

“I am looking forward to Chiefs’ training camp next week and getting back with my teammates to play some football,” Warfield said in the statement. “I’m anxious to get back onto the field and make an impact on the Chiefs’ defense. I am grateful for this opportunity, and I plan to make the most of it.”

Domann said the Chiefs haven’t told Warfield he would return as a backup.

“Eric will start 12 games and be a valuable contributor to the Chiefs this season,” Domann said. “I expect Eric to bounce back in a big way and have one of his best seasons yet.”

During his suspension, Warfield will not count against the Chiefs’ regular-season roster limit of 53 players.

Cornerback was a position of great upheaval for the Chiefs during the offseason. They lost Warfield for four games and Julian Battle for the season because of a torn Achilles’ tendon.

They added one starter, Patrick Surtain, in a trade with Miami. They recently signed Ambrose, another veteran.

“I’d like to have another Patrick Surtain. I’d like to go out and get another All-Pro corner,” Vermeil said, addressing his comfort with the cornerback situation.

A former Pro Bowler, Ty Law, is available, though his asking price will apparently have to drop significantly if he’s to join the Chiefs.

“The last time I talked to (assistant general manager Denny Thum) about that, (Law’s) agent was talking numbers that were delusions of grandeur,” Vermeil said.

“I have a lot of confidence in Dexter McCleon. It’s not blind confidence. I’ve seen him play extremely well. I’ve seen him play extremely well for the Kansas City Chiefs. He’s healthy, and he will play well. I also think our coaches will do a good job of asking our corners to do what they can do well.”

Rausch
07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
“I’d like to have another Patrick Surtain. I’d like to go out and get another All-Pro corner,” Vermeil said, addressing his comfort with the cornerback situation.

That settles it, we aren't looking to improve the CB position...

DaWolf
07-22-2005, 02:01 AM
That's actually a HUGE statement from Vermiel, who ALWAYS stresses that he hates adding players from outside once the offseason work has begun because he wants to give his own guys who have been working with the team the job. To say that he would like to add another player to the roster as we enter training camp is a big time change from what I expect to hear him say...

Rausch
07-22-2005, 02:11 AM
That's actually a HUGE statement from Vermiel, who ALWAYS stresses that he hates adding players from outside once the offseason work has begun because he wants to give his own guys who have been working with the team the job. To say that he would like to add another player to the roster as we enter training camp is a big time change from what I expect to hear him say...

Nah, he's just another CP stooge.

And we couldn't want to add any TOP CB TALENT to the roster...

Mecca
07-22-2005, 02:17 AM
Wow that comment about McCleon makes me cringe. If he's starting when the season opens, I may cry. Even Ashley Ambrose is a better choice than he is.

McCleon isn't made to play outside corner in this scheme. No matter how bad Vermiel wants to talk about his boy being good here 2 years ago. He needs to give up on that pipe dream say he's the nickel and move on.

morphius
07-22-2005, 06:06 AM
Wow that comment about McCleon makes me cringe. If he's starting when the season opens, I may cry. Even Ashley Ambrose is a better choice than he is.

McCleon isn't made to play outside corner in this scheme. No matter how bad Vermiel wants to talk about his boy being good here 2 years ago. He needs to give up on that pipe dream say he's the nickel and move on.
Well, we are not going to ask him to do something that he can't do, which I'm guessing means we will not make him cover someone very often or anyone over 5'6".

Mecca
07-22-2005, 06:10 AM
Well, we are not going to ask him to do something that he can't do, which I'm guessing means we will not make him cover someone very often or anyone over 5'6".

So he'll get to play when Denver uses their drafted corners as WR's?

King_Chief_Fan
07-22-2005, 06:11 AM

It is crap like this that makes me think.....Thanks for the memories Dick. Have a nice retirement. McCleon is not even close to being the best option for the position. Buddy blinders are on again.

Chiefnj
07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
"He had the best offseason he’s ever had.”

Wow, if getting convicted of a felony, having to do jail time and then be under house arrest for several months is the best offseason Warfield ever had, I'd hate to know what he went through other years.

I don't know why Vermeil said that McLeon is getting first shot at the CB position. I thought Vermeil was big on the "it's anybody's position, it's up for grabs" rather than saying someone has first shot at it; especially Dexter.

Coach
07-22-2005, 07:14 AM
Vermeil said veteran Dexter McCleon would be given first shot at Warfield’s job. Benny Sapp would be next in a line that also includes Ashley Ambrose.

What? Are you f**king kidding me? Hello, Coach Vermeil, have you even seen this ass-clown cover last year? JFC, he can't even cover my grandmother, for crying out loud.

Why is he not released? :shake:

the Talking Can
07-22-2005, 07:42 AM
I can't believe Gun wants to play McCleon

“The last time I talked to (assistant general manager Denny Thum) about that, (Law’s) agent was talking numbers that were delusions of grandeur,” Vermeil said.

well, he just bitch slapped Law.....

jspchief
07-22-2005, 07:56 AM
I hope the "Mcleon is first in line" comments just mean that he will be the first CB to get practice time with the first team, then as weeks progress, others will get a chance to show their stuff.

Personally, I don't think Sapp will make a good outside corner. I think he's more of a nickelback type player (like McCleon). I don't know what Ambrose will bring to the table.

InChiefsHeaven
07-22-2005, 08:10 AM
well, he just bitch slapped Law.....

And rightly so. :harumph:

Sparhawk
07-22-2005, 08:25 AM
I think I'd still rather see an unknown Ambrose in as starter than a known McCleon..Or even Benny Sapp, Perkins, Hodge, anyone else!

ptlyon
07-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Warfield couldn’t be reached for comment.

Did you check Tanners?

Skip Towne
07-22-2005, 08:40 AM
When was the last time we drafted a CB in the first 2 rounds? It seems like we ignore top quality CB's.

the Talking Can
07-22-2005, 08:42 AM
When was the last time we drafted a CB in the first 2 rounds? It seems like we ignore top quality CB's.

we used our 2nd this year on a probowl CB....

jspchief
07-22-2005, 08:47 AM
When was the last time we drafted a CB in the first 2 rounds? It seems like we ignore top quality CB's.Bartee in 2000

We're too busy drafting DT busts to concentrate on any other position.

ptlyon
07-22-2005, 08:50 AM
Bartee in 2000

We're too busy drafting DT busts to concentrate on any other position.

He was a safety, IIRC.

ROFL on the last comment.

htismaqe
07-22-2005, 08:59 AM
I hope the "Mcleon is first in line" comments just mean that he will be the first CB to get practice time with the first team, then as weeks progress, others will get a chance to show their stuff.

Personally, I don't think Sapp will make a good outside corner. I think he's more of a nickelback type player (like McCleon). I don't know what Ambrose will bring to the table.

I do. Having watched Sapp cover tier-1 Big 10 WR's and shut them down, yes, he's short, but he's also more physical than anyone else on our roster at CB, save Surtain.

Chieficus
07-22-2005, 09:03 AM
He was a safety, IIRC.

I forget what he entered the draft as. For the majority of his college career he played safety, but for his senior season, he was moved to CB for the most part.

TRR
07-22-2005, 09:09 AM
I do. Having watched Sapp cover tier-1 Big 10 WR's and shut them down, yes, he's short, but he's also more physical than anyone else on our roster at CB, save Surtain.

Sapp was a product of an unbelievable D Line and LB's. Sapp will be a solid player in the NFL, but he isn't going to be of starting quality any time soon. I watched him play at UNI after he beat up a woman, and got kicked off of Iowa's team. He wasn't the same CB at UNI as he was at Iowa.

jspchief
07-22-2005, 09:28 AM
I do. Having watched Sapp cover tier-1 Big 10 WR's and shut them down, yes, he's short, but he's also more physical than anyone else on our roster at CB, save Surtain.What tier 1 WRs did he shut down? He was decent for the Hawks, but he wasn't a shutdown corner. In fact, wasn't Stockdale the #1 CB that year?

htismaqe
07-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Sapp was a product of an unbelievable D Line and LB's. Sapp will be a solid player in the NFL, but he isn't going to be of starting quality any time soon. I watched him play at UNI after he beat up a woman, and got kicked off of Iowa's team. He wasn't the same CB at UNI as he was at Iowa.

If Sapp was the product of an unbelievable line and LB, why did Jovon Johnson and Antwan Allen struggle so mightily the year after Sapp was kicked off the team?

Because Sapp was that much better than they are. Yes, he wasn't the same CB at UNI, but I attribute alot of that to him being in the doldrums. He said it took him a while to really have everything sink in and it wasn't really until TC with the Chiefs that he realized that he could still accomplish the things he want to accomplish...

jspchief
07-22-2005, 09:32 AM
If Sapp was the product of an unbelievable line and LB, why did Jovon Johnson and Antwan Allen struggle so mightily the year after Sapp was kicked off the team?

Because they were new to the starting role.

htismaqe
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
What tier 1 WRs did he shut down? He was decent for the Hawks, but he wasn't a shutdown corner. In fact, wasn't Stockdale the #1 CB that year?

Sapp started 8 games his freshman season and all 12 his sophomore season. Stockdale started on the other side.

I remember the Michigan State game in 2001, when Sapp held Charles Rogers to 1 catch while Stockdale got abused on the other side.

No, Sapp wasn't a shutdown corner, but he was a SOPHOMORE. He was still developing.

htismaqe
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Because they were new to the starting role.

So was he.

DJJasonp
07-22-2005, 09:41 AM
If Mccleon is the starter for the first four games, I dont think I'll be able to watch. I was at the San Diego game last year (last game of the season)...and 2 WR's that were basically picked up from a weekend flag-football league, ate Dexter up. What made his toasting even worse, is he sat on the ground and cried to the referee that the WR was pushing off. It was a sad, sad sight. Dexter has no business being on the field outside of maybe the dime package. Jerry Porter, Ashley Lelie, Keenan McCardell, and the rest of the league's #2 WR's are licking their chops. Please coach Vermeil, drink a bottle of ensure and come to your senses!

htismaqe
07-22-2005, 09:44 AM
And I'm not trying to make the case that Sapp is the next coming of Albert Lewis. I'm just suggesting that he's ABSOLUTELY a better option than Dexter McCleon.

StcChief
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Leave it a competition Vermeil.

Let the candidates try out, this is preseason training camp. If the D positions are up for grabs, All should be open.

Gun may have something to say about during player evaluation.

Coogs
07-22-2005, 09:48 AM
If we go into the season with this same cast, I would not be all that surprised to see Hodge win the job. And before anybody says he never intercepeted a pass in college, I already know that. I watched him play in the Senior Bowl game (TiVo'd it and watched it after the draft). The QB's on the opposing team could not throw the ball his direction. You could see them look his way as the first read, then turn away to look for another receiver. From what I heard about his college days was much the same as this.... they didn't throw to his side.

jspchief
07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
[
Lee Evans torched us in '01. Northwestern also torched us with a couple of no-names.

I think Sapp could be a decent NFL player, I just question whether he'll do as well on the outside as he would in the slot. It's not like he's shown us enough to accurately predict either way.

Iowanian
07-22-2005, 10:46 AM
I look at it this way.........He's out, we know it now, to me, its better than if he'd sprained an ankle the last week of TC.

At least the Chiefs know where they stand, and have to luxury of preparing for it ahead of time, and getting the extra reps to the younger guys........The competition to start, should improve the entire depth at CB imo.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
And rightly so. :harumph:

bullchips...

Vermeil needs to just shut the fuuck up

first Vincent will have to come in a compete with bartee for the nickleback role and now he's taking shots a law's contract demands.

:cuss: :cuss:

if you don't wanna pay that amount ... fine ... but you don't shoot your mouth off for no reason.

If Law's demands come down, i wonder if he's gonna remember Vermeil's mouth?

Frazod
07-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Someone over 5'6" who isn't on crutches.

Every time I start to feel good about things, Dick says something that just scares the shit out of me. :shake:

stevieray
07-22-2005, 10:59 AM
facts are facts..it's no secret Law's asking for what isn't there.

Brock
07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
This is the sort of thing that makes me question whether or not Vermeil has Alzheimer's.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 11:02 AM
facts are facts..it's no secret Law's asking for what isn't there.
agreed ... but you still don't talk smack about it

Vermeil needs to be politically correct in case things change in the future.

don't burn bridges just to hear yourself talk ... Vermeil is starting to make a habit of it.

stevieray
07-22-2005, 11:04 AM
agreed ... but you still don't talk smack about it

Vermeil needs to be politically correct in case things change in the future.

don't burn bridges just to hear yourself talk ... Vermeil is starting to make a habit of it.

I disagree, if things change, then the comment is moot.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 11:06 AM
I disagree

we don't agree about much of anything, so no surprise :)

btw - if the comment irritates Law then the comment will never be moot

stevieray
07-22-2005, 11:11 AM
we don't agree about much of anything, so no surprise :)
this isn't about us...sorry if i came off that way.

i think Ty law is posturing, to get as much he can due to timing and circumstances...bottom line, he'll agree with what someone OFFERS him, not what he predetermines. Stating that he has delusions of granduer is just telling like it is, and I think law knows that. H'es not going to say, well, I'll sign, but not till DV apologizes...it's not realistic.

Look at TO. I'll bet that the eagles won't budge, and he'll be playing opening weekend.

stevieray
07-22-2005, 11:13 AM
btw - if the comment irritates Law then the comment will never be moot

Laws not signing the check, the owner is.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 11:24 AM
Laws not signing the check, the owner is.
i guess i'm just not communicating very well (no surprise)

1. i think everyone knows that Law is asking too much ... even Law

2. everyone thinks that Law will eventually drop his posturing and lower his demands.

3. when he does lower his demands, he's going to make his choice between a few teams based on other things.

4. you don't want bring anything bad up that might make him chose another team when it finally gets down to beyond dollars.

5. the chiefs really could use Law at the right price .

6. Vermeil's little jab doesn't help us in the good grace department

vermeil's comment MIGHT make a slight difference, so why take the risk when the comment was completely unnecessary.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM
this isn't about us...sorry if i came off that way

was just teasing a bit about our almost completely different way of looking at things ... not taking a jab. :)

ptlyon
07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
this isn't about us...sorry if i came off that way.

Oh now... You two kiss and make up!

Rausch
07-22-2005, 12:03 PM
And I'm not trying to make the case that Sapp is the next coming of Albert Lewis. I'm just suggesting that he's ABSOLUTELY a better option than Dexter McCleon.

Couldn't agree more...

Chiefs Pantalones
07-22-2005, 12:15 PM
I think anything would be a better option that McCleon. No way does he beat out Ambrose. Gunther won't let it happen. I guarantee you Gun doesn't feel the same about the situation as DV does.

keg in kc
07-22-2005, 12:16 PM
You know, if you think about it, "Vanilla Thunder from Down Under" could be a reference to some nasty STD ooze.

TEX
07-22-2005, 12:20 PM

YIKES! :doh!:

Chiefs Pantalones
07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that if it were up to Gun McCleon wouldn't even be on the team?

Chiefs Pantalones
07-22-2005, 12:34 PM
You know, if you think about it, "Vanilla Thunder from Down Under" could be a reference to some nasty STD ooze.

You couldn't handle Vanilla Thunder.

Nor would I want a man to.

ROFL

keg in kc
07-22-2005, 12:35 PM
You couldn't handle Vanilla Thunder.

Nor would I want a man to.I have my own Vanilla Thunder. Although the medication helped clear it up. Maybe I'll refer to it as Chunky Monkey now, to avoid confusion.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
I have my own Vanilla Thunder. Although the medication helped clear it up. Maybe I'll refer to it as Chunky Monkey now, to avoid confusion.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10059/samltopic_1.jpg

whoman69
07-22-2005, 05:01 PM
I'd feel alot better if our best choice was someone not named Dexter McCleon. He simply does not fit in this type defense. The receivers he covered last year could not have been more wide open on a consistent basis.

KCFANinNC
07-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Ambrose will start w/ McToast as the .05

the Talking Can
07-22-2005, 08:41 PM
If McCleon starts then Gun doesn't have ultimate control of the D...I don't believe that is true, so I have to belive McCleon won't start...

stevieray
07-22-2005, 08:46 PM
...I don't believe that is true, so I have to belive McCleon won't start...

I agree, considering Gun said that all starting postions were open for competition.

I'm really looking forward to it.

milkman
07-22-2005, 08:50 PM
In an open competition, someone has to get first shot.

I think that all that Dick is saying is that McPassOn will be the first guy to work out with the #1 unit.

I don't think anyone expects McPassOn to break camp as the #2 corner, not even Dick.

He's just the senior guy.

jspchief
07-22-2005, 08:59 PM
In an open competition, someone has to get first shot.

I think that all that Dick is saying is that McPassOn will be the first guy to work out with the #1 unit.

I don't think anyone expects McPassOn to break camp as the #2 corner, not even Dick.

He's just the senior guy.That's pretty much the way I'm reading it as well. I think it was the same with Battle back in mini camp. He wasn't neccessarily the guy that had the job, he was just the first guy to get an audition.

ZootedGranny
07-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Guys, calm down. All Vermeil has to do is walk up to Dexter and say "Dexy, I need you to get sexy this season. I don't call you Sexy Dexy for nothing, don't make me look like an ass this season."

That's all McCleon needs to hear. He'll hear that, go out on the field, and then get torched up and down it. Then they'll let Sapp play, and he'll start beasting.

Logical
07-22-2005, 10:01 PM

McCleon isn't made to play outside corner in this scheme. No matter how bad Vermiel wants to talk about his boy being good here 2 years ago. He needs to give up on that pipe dream say he's the nickel and move on.Even worse it almost sounded like Vermiel was going to force Gunther to change his scheme to fit McCleon's abilities (or lack therof).
:banghead:

“I have a lot of confidence in Dexter McCleon. It’s not blind confidence. I’ve seen him play extremely well. I’ve seen him play extremely well for the Kansas City Chiefs. He’s healthy, and he will play well. I also think our coaches will do a good job of asking our corners to do what they can do well.”