PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs | Alexander to Retire With KC

Bill Lundberg
07-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Chiefs | Alexander to Retire With KC
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:04:56 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced that free agent WR Derrick Alexander (Vikings) has signed a contract with the team and will retire as a member of the Chiefs. "We're pleased and proud that Derrick requested that he retire from the NFL as a member of the Chiefs," said Chiefs president Carl Peterson. "Derrick was a very productive receiver for this franchise. We are just as pleased that he and his family have made Kansas City their home." Alexander spent nine seasons in the NFL, playing for the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City and the Minnesota Vikings. His last season was with Minnesota in 2002.

stevieray
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
I saw him at the Arrowhead offices earlier this year.

KCChiefsMan
07-22-2005, 11:14 AM
huh

KChiefs1
07-22-2005, 11:19 AM
WTF?

Saulbadguy
07-22-2005, 11:20 AM
This is getting out of hand.

Tribal Warfare
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
I guess KC needs more people of the custodial arts to scurry around the stadium

keg in kc
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Wasn't too thrilled with him back in '01, but no ill will now. Hard to fault a guy who's made his home here.

siberian khatru
07-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Is this for real? It makes for great parody if it's not.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 11:28 AM
Wasn't too thrilled with him back in '01, but no ill will now. Hard to fault a guy who's made his home here.
i'm a little bit surprised about it myself :hmmm:

but big thumbs up for him wanting to retire a chiefs ... 'tis all good

Bill Lundberg
07-22-2005, 11:33 AM
He owns Geeks on Call in KC. One of their AE's came by the office and said, "Yeah, Derrick's a Geek at Heart". I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Soupnazi
07-22-2005, 11:35 AM
I always thought he got a bit of a bum rap. There were certainly issues here besides him. Twice a 1000 yd receiver in 4 years, always productive. He never fumbled in his career in KC.

Glad to see him retire a chief.

BigRedChief
07-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I always thought he got a bit of a bum rap. There were certainly issues here besides him. Twice a 1000 yd receiver in 4 years, always productive. He never fumbled in his career in KC.

rightfully or wrongly he did come off as a wimp sometimes. Not that there is anything wrong with that.:rolleyes:

Bill Lundberg
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM

I'm glad to. IIRC he was an every other year receiver. It seems like I picked him for my fantasy team every down year!!

Ultra Peanut
07-22-2005, 11:46 AM

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced that free agent WR Derrick Alexander (Vikings) has signed a contract with the team and will retire as a member of the Chiefs. "We're pleased and proud that Derrick requested that he retire from the NFL as a member of the Chiefs," said Chiefs president Carl Peterson. "Derrick was a very productive receiver for this franchise. We are just as pleased that he and his family have made Kansas City their home." Alexander spent nine seasons in the NFL, playing for the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City and the Minnesota Vikings. His last season was with Minnesota in 2002.You know the "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA" at the beginning of "Feel Good Inc.?" That's quite similar to the sound I heard emanating from myself as I saw the thread title and clicked.

I'm still doing it. ROFL

TEX
07-22-2005, 12:22 PM
I think this is pretty funny.

ChiTown
07-22-2005, 12:23 PM
give me a break............. :rolleyes:

Braincase
07-22-2005, 12:31 PM
He owns Geeks on Call in KC. One of their AE's came by the office and said, "Yeah, Derrick's a Geek at Heart". I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Laugh if you want, but it's true. Guy is a computer nut. Passed his A+ exams with perfect scores, and he's coming over here to take his Network+ class in a few weeks.

And one other thing - his best year was about twice Johnny Morton's best year. That and he's a genuinely nice guy, and if I could ever get him on the Planet, I would.

The guy they OUGHT to give a one day contract to is the guy I've been backing for a couple of years now - Isn't it time to give Kimble Anders his due?

StcChief
07-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Good for him. Geeks unite.

Not like he's HOF bound.
Cool that he's retiring as a Chief.

ChiefsOne
07-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Good now I can wear my Alexander jersey again.

Braincase
07-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Good for him. Geeks unite.

Not like he's HOF bound.
Cool that he's retiring as a Chief.

Think also of the free publicity he'll get for this. I'm a semi-celeb, former Chief and HERE'S WHAT I'M DOIN' NOW!

KCFalcon59
07-22-2005, 12:56 PM
The guy they OUGHT to give a one day contract to is the guy I've been backing for a couple of years now - Isn't it time to give Kimble Anders his due?

It's overdue IMO

Spicy McHaggis
07-22-2005, 12:56 PM
rightfully or wrongly he did come off as a wimp sometimes. Not that there is anything wrong with that.:rolleyes:

Yeah but compared to Morton he looked like an Ironman.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I sold his jersey a few weeks ago.

penguinz
07-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Laugh if you want, but it's true. Guy is a computer nut. Passed his A+ exams with perfect scores, and he's coming over here to take his Network+ class in a few weeks.

And one other thing - his best year was about twice Johnny Morton's best year. That and he's a genuinely nice guy, and if I could ever get him on the Planet, I would.

The guy they OUGHT to give a one day contract to is the guy I've been backing for a couple of years now - Isn't it time to give Kimble Anders his due?Doesn't everyone pass the A+ with high scores? Not like it is a hard exam. As far as Network +... How much you charge for the class? Does it include the cost of the exam?

WebGem
07-22-2005, 01:59 PM
Kimble Anders owns

ptlyon
07-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Kimble Anders owns

PWNS!!!

penguinz
07-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Kimble Anders ownsKeith Cash could take him any-day.

Mr. Kotter
07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Wow. Wierd. :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
I sold his jersey a few weeks ago.And now you're the personification of "regret."

penguinz
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Wow. Wierd. :hmmm:
Might even be weird.

ptlyon
07-22-2005, 02:04 PM
I am still waiting for my call back from Carl Peterson on my request to retire as a Chief also.

C@ks@ker must have taken an extra long lunch... :hmmm:

Mr. Kotter
07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Might even be weird.

yeah, that too....typo-Nazi.... :p

ptlyon
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM

And to think that America's kids are learning from this guy...

;)

Miles
07-22-2005, 02:09 PM
Pretty odd.

penguinz
07-22-2005, 02:11 PM
wtf is wrong with knowing how to spell?

Braincase
07-22-2005, 02:17 PM
Doesn't everyone pass the A+ with high scores? Not like it is a hard exam. As far as Network +... How much you charge for the class? Does it include the cost of the exam?

Based n my experience, there's a number of folks out there that are new to industry that have problems with the A+ the first time thy take it, in many cases due to test anxiety.

As far as Network+ goes, I'd have to ask you to call the office here... we're at 8700 State Line if that helps.

To top it off the female instructor is smokin' hot.

Pitt Gorilla
07-22-2005, 02:21 PM
Uh, didn't Kimble already retire as a Chief? I don't think they'd have to sign him and then retire him; he was a Chief when he retired.

RedThat
07-22-2005, 02:26 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced that free agent WR Derrick Alexander (Vikings) has signed a contract with the team and will retire as a member of the Chiefs. "We're pleased and proud that Derrick requested that he retire from the NFL as a member of the Chiefs," said Chiefs president Carl Peterson. "Derrick was a very productive receiver for this franchise. We are just as pleased that he and his family have made Kansas City their home." Alexander spent nine seasons in the NFL, playing for the Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Ravens, Kansas City and the Minnesota Vikings. His last season was with Minnesota in 2002.

Good for Derrick Alexander :thumb:

DJJasonp
07-22-2005, 02:29 PM
If Alexander wouldnt have had the ultimate puss (Grbac) throwing to him for the majority of time he was here, he might have put up even bigger #'s.

I bet he would have put up much bigger #'s than Morton over the last 3 years.

HC_Chief
07-22-2005, 02:46 PM
Hmm, I was wondering why I saw him at Blockbuster the other day.

Good for him :)

Dr. Johnny Fever
07-22-2005, 02:52 PM
I know not many hold these two in high regard... but there for a couple of years the Grbac fake-the-hand-off-throw-over-the-middle-to-a-wide-open-Derrick-Alexander-for-a-big-gain play was a pretty common sight. I always liked DA.

Chiefnj
07-22-2005, 02:59 PM
I think he could beat out Mitchell if he was given a chance.

BigRedChief
07-22-2005, 03:14 PM
Based n my experience, there's a number of folks out there that are new to industry that have problems with the A+ the first time thy take it, in many cases due to test anxiety.

As far as Network+ goes, I'd have to ask you to call the office here... we're at 8700 State Line if that helps.

To top it off the female instructor is smokin' hot.
Having passed over 14 certification tests and failed only one I think I can offer an informed opinion on this..:p

A+ is hard for noobs because of test anxiety and not being familiar with real world stuff and issues. But its easily passable.

Network+ is a little harder but still easily passable.

You want to try some difficult tests....try CCIE

Logical
07-22-2005, 03:16 PM
In all honesty big whoop it is not like he is a HOFer or even a potential Chiefs HOFer. I am not criticizing the thread but I wonder why this warranted even a media mention.

Mr. Kotter
07-22-2005, 03:17 PM
What I wanna know:

what are the Chief's gonna do to ensure Scanlon retires in Red 'n Gold? :hmmm:

BigRedChief
07-22-2005, 03:21 PM
I wonder why this warranted even a media mention.

See post #20.

Logical
07-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Think also of the free publicity he'll get for this. I'm a semi-celeb, former Chief and HERE'S WHAT I'M DOIN' NOW!Ah good point, though I do not really see why the Chiefs or the media played along.

morphius
07-22-2005, 03:41 PM
That and he's a genuinely nice guy, and if I could ever get him on the Planet, I would.

I have heard the exact same thing about him, my wife used to work for his insurance agent, and they all had nothing but nice things to say about him.

Mr. Laz
07-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Ah good point, though I do not really see why the Chiefs or the media played along.

the chiefs front office gets to say "look at us, our organization so good that players want to retire with us"

just like the faiders

Braincase
07-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Having passed over 14 certification tests and failed only one I think I can offer an informed opinion on this..:p

A+ is hard for noobs because of test anxiety and not being familiar with real world stuff and issues. But its easily passable.

Network+ is a little harder but still easily passable.

You want to try some difficult tests....try CCIE

There's a great big No Sh!t! You can always spot those guys. They're the ones that tiptoe across the molten lava moat, pimp slap the dragon and say "Gimme a ride to the routers, bitch, and you betta have my money!".

Logical
07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
the chiefs front office gets to say "look at us, our organization so good that players want to retire with us"

just like the faidersLOL Tim Brown vs Derrick Alexander. It would appear Al Davis wins that round.ROFL

HemiEd
07-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Sheds a new light on his career for me, hard to find anything wrong with this. :thumb:

StcChief
07-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Doesn't everyone pass the A+ with high scores? Not like it is a hard exam. As far as Network +... How much you charge for the class? Does it include the cost of the exam?

Get Cisco cert. to prove you know networks
MS Cert. to prove MS servers knowlege.

or get a real hard cert. Oracle. then build something useable for business

Ultimately you have to work in the industry and do something real there.

Just the general knowledge (A+) would help you run a Geek on Call business. Won't make you a real valueable IT person.

whoman69
07-22-2005, 04:45 PM
I think its a nice gesture by the Chiefs and OK to hear that he wants to retire a Chief, where he had his best years.

suds79
07-22-2005, 04:53 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs have announced that free agent WR Derrick Alexander (Vikings) has signed a contract with the team and will retire as a member of the Chiefs.

:whackit: :whackit: :ZZZ:

Braincase
07-22-2005, 04:58 PM
:whackit: :whackit: :ZZZ:

For whatever it's worth, the guy could have chosen to live in any number of other cities, but chooses to make his home here. I think that says something about the way he feels about us, in spite of the way some of us apparently feel about him.

suds79
07-22-2005, 05:05 PM
For whatever it's worth, the guy could have chosen to live in any number of other cities, but chooses to make his home here. I think that says something about the way he feels about us, in spite of the way some of us apparently feel about him.

Perhaps I should explain. I think it's great he wants to live here and he was one of our better WRs when he played here but I just think it's silly this whole sign 1 day contracts & retire thing. It's stupid IMO.

IMO it doesn't change a thing. Tim Brown was going to always be remembered as a Raider. People won't look back to see who he retired with. And people will remember Derrick Alexander as.... well, we'll (Chiefs fans) remember him as a solid WR.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Perhaps I should explain. I think it's great he wants to live here and he was one of our better WRs when he played here but I just think it's silly this whole sign 1 day contracts & retire thing. It's stupid IMO.

IMO it doesn't change a thing. Tim Brown was going to always be remembered as a Raider. People won't look back to see who he retired with. And people will remember Derrick Alexander as.... well, we'll (Chiefs fans) remember him as a solid WR.

I think it is kind of stupid but not to the players who do it. I think they are doing it for themselves.

chefsos
07-22-2005, 05:20 PM
As I was reading this, I was trying to recall where he's been playing recently. Thought I had memory problems. Now I see he's been out of the league THREE DAMN YEARS!

Jeez, why do this now? And more importantly, why am I wasting time typing about it?

HemiEd
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I think it is kind of stupid but not to the players who do it. I think they are doing it for themselves.

I look at it as a compliment to the Chiefs and my auto stuff of his just went back up in value. :D

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 05:25 PM
I look at it as a compliment to the Chiefs and my auto stuff of his just went back up in value. :D

Actually, I don't think it did. :shake:

HemiEd
07-22-2005, 05:30 PM
Actually, I don't think it did. :shake:

To me, my perception of him as a Chief it did. I do not plan on selling any of the stuff, but I was ready to give his stuff away just like I did Girlbac.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 05:31 PM
He played 4 years here. Do you have fond memories of every Chiefs player that stays in town for a sleepover?

HemiEd
07-22-2005, 05:35 PM
He played 4 years here. Do you have fond memories of every Chiefs player that stays in town for a sleepover?

Not Rison, or McGlockton or Williams, but Derrick Alexander had one really nice year, almost two IIRC. Four years? That is an entire career for some players.

TRR
07-22-2005, 07:48 PM
I will always remember Alexander's 2000 season where he put up almost 1,400 yards at 10 TD's. That was a solid outing.

I'll also remember Andre Rison's 1997 year where he put up 1,100 yards and 7 TD's.

Both ended up leaving throwing somewhat of a hissy fit, but those two seasons were solid.

Logical
07-22-2005, 08:00 PM
For whatever it's worth, the guy could have chosen to live in any number of other cities, but chooses to make his home here. I think that says something about the way he feels about us, in spite of the way some of us apparently feel about him.I don't feel anyway about DA. He is not worth feeling about, he was a short time Chief who did nothing notable career wise. I do not care about all the players who have had one good/great season enough to even think much about them. To me a great career warrants a retirement announcement, careers like Emmit, Tim Brown, Otis Taylor, Will Shields have had or are having.

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 08:02 PM
I soured on DA because of his final season here.

tommykat
07-22-2005, 08:40 PM
With not reading all of this..........I think this is cool...........makes my visor signing worth more ;).............Actually, this is class act.

HemiEd
07-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I soured on DA because of his final season here.

It did suck, no question about it.

With not reading all of this..........I think this is cool...........makes my visor signing worth more ;).............Actually, this is class act.

hehe, kind of what I said. :p

BigRedChief
07-22-2005, 09:00 PM

I don't mean to bag on him as a person. Never met him before so I have no clue about him. You say hes okay that good enough for me.

Back in early 2002 if Sprint had laid me off I was planning on getting a geeks on call franchise and starting my own business.

ZootedGranny
07-22-2005, 09:14 PM
I'm trying to think of a player of similar stature signing a one day contract. Nothing against the guy at all, but I just find it funny. Maybe next week we can bring Ted Popson back in.

But props are due for staying in KC and making it his home.

I must say I'm amazed to find out Alexander never fumbled the ball as a Chief though. I lived in a persistent state of fear every time he caught the ball and started running, because I figured it would get stripped every time.

Ultra Peanut
07-22-2005, 09:18 PM
I'm trying to think of a player of similar stature signing a one day contract. Nothing against the guy at all, but I just find it funny. Maybe next week we can bring Ted Popson back in.:LOL:

Hammock Parties
07-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Good old Ted Popson. He was the f*cker that Elvis dumped the ball to for a 2-yard gain and failed to get out of bounds in the 97 playoff game.

Classic sawed-off, stumpy tight end.

Deberg_1990
07-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Ive said this many times.....Alexander was probably as talented a WR as we have had here in KC over the past 20 years or so. Just pure talent alone. He had gamebreaking ability and flashed it on occassion when he wanted to. But this was also his main problem. He only flashed his talent when he felt like. He always seemed like a lazy player/attitude to me. He was the classic "Trash Time" player. Meaning he put up tons of garbage time stats.