PDA

View Full Version : Pennington may not be ready for season opener

donkhater
07-23-2005, 08:22 AM
It's from PFW so take it for what it's worth. Regardless, he did have rotator cuff surgery and he is KC's opening day opponent, so it is a situation worth monitoring IMO.

JETS FACING REALITY ON PENNINGTON

A league source tells us that the New York Jets quietly are becoming resigned to the looming-and-growing possibility that quarterback Chad Pennington won't be ready to play on opening day.

If Pennington can't go, the ball will fall to (gulp) Jay Fiedler.

Pennington had offseason shoulder surgery to repair a partially torn rotator cuff in his throwing arm. After the 2004 season ended, the Jets conceded that they had spoken with forked tongue about the severity of Pennington's injury.

Earlier this week, the Jets acknowledged that Pennington will be limited in training camp. Coupled with an offseason in which he took no practice reps, Pennington will have a loooong way to go in order to get acclimated to new offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger's system.

We're also hearing that some folks around the league are surprised that the typically tough New York media hasn't been harder on the Jets for lying about Pennington's condition. Moreover, we wonder whether the Big Apple scribes will regard with skepticism future statements from the team regarding any player's health.

Why, you aks, would a team tell tales about a quarterback's physical condition? The obvious reason is that the team doesn't want opposing defenses to target with even more zeal potential problem areas on the signal-caller's body. The more subtle reason, especially in the waning days of the offseason, is that the team doesn't want to disrupt the wave of good feelings from the fan base, which often is manifested by high sales of tickets, shirts, hats, and anything else with the official logo on it.

In New York, optimism is high. Too high. In our view, a splash of cold water could serve the Jets well, since even if Pennington is ready to go on opening day the franchise will be hard pressed to replicate its performance in 2004.

Terribilis
07-23-2005, 08:26 AM
i didnt realize they had a new offensive coord.
thats very interesting

carlos3652
07-23-2005, 08:34 AM
:hmmm: not sure who I would like to face:

a banged up Chad
or a healthy Jay

Both are mediocre @ best, hopefully our D will be able to build confidnece on this game...

sparkky
07-23-2005, 09:36 AM
I have this game pegged as the easiest of the first 4 even with Penny.
Even with the D additions we've made it will take awhile for them to jell and play up to their potential together as a unit.
I really think we could well start off 1-3 if we don't get some breaks along the way. By the end of the season I think we'll be much improved but it could be too late to make a run if the West doesn't beat up on itself.
Glad to hear Penny may not be ready or up to full speed for the opener. I'll take any edge we can get early on.

ILChief
07-23-2005, 10:17 AM
i didnt realize they had a new offensive coord.
thats very interesting

i just noticed your avatar, are you a GNR fan or just a bucket fan?

Hydrae
07-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I heard on ESPN radio this morning that he will be limited in camp but no mention of him not being ready for the start of the season. Actually they mentioned our opening game against the Jets as one of the more interesting games of the first part of the season.

He may start the year still getting into shape with his arm strength which is a good thing for us but he will be fine. Like you said at the beginning of the thread, this is from PFW.