PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Alexander not great

Coach
07-24-2005, 07:36 AM
Alexander not great-Gesture to a symbol of the ‘lost years’ is a slap in the face to real legends
Posted on Sun, Jul. 24, 2005
Jason Whitlock
KC Star

When news hit that Derrick Alexander signed a one-day contract and retired as a Chief, I was in the middle of preparing my thoughts on the upcoming Chiefs season.

Obviously, the Alexander announcement caused me to adjust my Sunday column plans. News as dramatic as this just can’t be ignored.

Ever since Dick Vermeil and his coaching staff arrived here in 2001 and immediately began to complain about Alexander’s work habits, reducing the 1,300-yard, 10-TD receiver into a 27-catch, 470-yard, three-TD scapegoat/laughingstock, Chiefs fans have wondered whether DA would retire a Brown, a Raven, a Viking or a Chief.

The interest in DA’s decision really increased during the last two years, when no NFL team would hold a roster spot for the man who was nearly selected to play in one Pro Bowl and caught passes in one playoff game.

The fascination in DA’s choice and the anxiety Chiefs fans felt reminded me of the talk surrounding Marcus Allen’s Hall of Fame induction — Raider or Chief.

It’s over now. We can all rest easy, comforted by the knowledge that the man brought here along with Chester McGlockton to turn the 1998 Chiefs into Super Bowl contenders will forever be a member of the organization.

Chiefs fans can also rest easy because the Alexander signing/retirement is confirmation that Carl Peterson will continue to do things that irritate the heck out of me. This offseason was just going too smoothly. Peterson had executed perfectly.

He bagged the perfect mix of defensive free agents and still has an outside shot at the man who would guarantee a Super Bowl appearance (Ty Law). From all accounts, the Chiefs have had a flawless offseason. The attitude of the team is sparkling. The right players — Ryan Sims, Junior Siavii, Priest Holmes, Greg Wesley — are motivated.

Yes, gasoline prices are high, but I was all set to gas up the Super Bowl bandwagon early.

You probably think I should let the Alexander thing pass without comment. What’s the big deal? You think I’m turning nothing into something.

You’re wrong. Alexander and McGlockton are two gigantic symbols of what went wrong with the Chiefs franchise. They helped usher in the malaise that has swallowed the franchise the last seven years. A perennial playoff team from 1989 to 1997, the Chiefs have qualified for the postseason just once since then (2003).

You can’t pin the fall of the Chiefs on Alexander and McGlockton. But you also don’t disrespect your franchise by honoring marginal players with gestures reserved for legitimate, longtime contributors.

I take no enjoyment out of belittling Alexander or his NFL career. He and his family have chosen to make Kansas City their home. Great. We’re glad they’re choosing to do business here. But retiring as a Chief — when you’ve been out of the league for two years — smells like a publicity stunt or business marketing campaign.

Who knew Alexander owned a business here before Friday’s announcement? Why are the Chiefs making this kind of gesture to a player who was here just four years and never played on a KC playoff team?

Makes no sense. And worse, it could be taken as a slap in the face by some real Chiefs legends who don’t get their proper respect from the organization because they refuse to kiss Peterson’s pinkie ring.

Take Bill Maas. Here’s a guy who belongs in the Chiefs’ ring of honor. He put it down for the Chiefs for nine years. He was a star on some awfully good Kansas City defensive teams. He played in Pro Bowls, and for a couple of years was regarded in some quarters as the best interior tackle in the league. During his time frame, he was Warren Sapp.

Maas and Peterson have been locked in a petty feud for years. That’s the only reason Maas’ name isn’t up on KC’s ring of honor.

It’s troublesome and can undermine success when people allow personal differences to get in the way of professional respect. I foolishly thought Peterson was conquering his penchant of being ruled by personal demons.

My hope is that the 2005 season will be about distancing the Chiefs from the “lost years” symbolized by Alexander and McGlockton.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12208426.htm

Braincase
07-24-2005, 07:44 AM
Whitlock is missing the point. The man isn't getting his jersey retired or his number retired. He just wants to retire as a member of the team he had his best seasons with. This isn't about his legacy, this isn't about trying to boost ones status - altough Johnny Morton did plenty to help us appreciate DA.

It's about a guy saying goodbye to a game he enjoyed, and telling a city and a group of fans that, no matter what anyone else says, he thinks this community is a bit of alright.

Sorry Jason Whitlock has so much difficulty seeing that.

Baby Lee
07-24-2005, 07:55 AM
Well, Fatlock just revoked his license to b!tch when another player "Bonos" us.

Bono - "SF has better food and culture"

Press - "F@ck you, you suck."

Alexander - "I loved my time in KC and really love the Chiefs organization."

Press - "F@ck you, you suck."

Alexander may not be Jerry Rice, but the press' reaction to this is an embarassment to the town and the team.

What a wonderful place to play football.

headsnap
07-24-2005, 08:18 AM
As a Chiefs fan, I'm flattered that DA wanted to retire as a Chief. It is both a noble gesture from DA and The Chiefs - one to the fans, the other to a former player.

Twitlock and the rest of the naysayers can GO TO HELL!!!!!

Saul Good
07-24-2005, 09:28 AM
It was just a stunt to promote his business. I agree with Jason there. That being said...so what? He played for the Chiefs during his best years in the league and wants to retire a Chief. Let him. It's not a big enough deal to waste a bunch of time and energy on.

Big Chief Homer
07-24-2005, 09:33 AM
This article proves entirely what a no talent,hopeless hack whitlock really is.

as the saying goes we are all just alittle stupider for having just read another Carls has done this to piss me off article.

When is this fat untalented social retard going to learn that its not all about Whitlock.

The DA thing was done out of respect for the player,the city and the organization.

What an Asshat.

Mr. Laz
07-24-2005, 10:21 AM
well...

just about everything whitlock says in the article is basically true.

but as usual he's twisting it to try and get attention instead of concentrating on writing a good article.

ragedogg69
07-24-2005, 10:32 AM
there arnt better things to write about? and so if the chiefs get ty law i should be getting my super bowl tix? why not write about how old the offense is getting and how it MIGHT not be the 30+ point juggernauts we have had? you know something that makes us readers, dare i say THINK?

Ultra Peanut
07-24-2005, 10:40 AM
It's kind of funny, not insulting. Let the guy go out on his terms, if his terms are so inoffensive and easy to accept.

mcan
07-24-2005, 11:55 AM
There are about thirty things that bother me about this article:

1. The title: "Alexander not Great."

It's the worst, and most embarrassing attempt at a play on words that I've ever seen. Jason, did you ever even take a writing class? Are you aware that puns and word play phrases are supposed to have DOUBLE meanings? This would only be clever if "Alexander the Great" had been a legendary football player. Had he been a Hall of Fame reciever, then it would be a really great play on words. But alas: Alexander the Great had nothing to do with football. So your reference holds ZERO meaning.

2. Bringing up Bill Maas and Carl Peterson's "feud."

Uhh, that seems like an interesting story Jason. Why not give us some INFORMATION about it? What is this feud about? Does it have something to do with Bill wanting his jersey retired? Or does it have something to do with his affiliations to 810? Regardless, you can't expect us to have an opinion, or to take a side unless you tell us about it. But you didn't... So, that part of the article is wasted print.

3. The first third of the article is just long winded sarcasm.

We get it. Nobody cares about where Derrick Alexander retires. Your joke would have been funny, if it were one sentence long. But, nope. It goes on... For FIVE AND A HALF PARAGRAPHS. Maybe you forgot, but when you change paragraphs, you're supposed to introduce a new thought. It's sad, and again... Wasted print.

4. Hateful attitude.

"But you also don’t disrespect your franchise by honoring marginal players." The idea that allowing any player to retire as a member of your organization is in anyway disrespecting that organization is stupid. Flat out... Stupid. Jason, this isn't about the organization retiring his jersey or putting him on the ring of fame. This is just the name of the team that he puts on his retirement benifits. Comparing this to Bill's "should be in the ring" issue is like saying that it's wrong for a Baptist to convert to Catholicism because the Cathlics wouldn't allow your buddie to be the Pope... Also, I seem to recall that this 'marginal' player was our team MVP one year.

5. Mention of gas prices.

What the F*CK is that all about? That little allusion is about as random as it gets. It's like you expect us to be surprised that you still thought this might be a good football team, DESPITE the horrible gas prices... I'm really thinking you should see a doctor, Jason. Lapses in logic like that could be early warning signs of a stroke.

In all of this, I see ONE instance of decent writing. You paint a vivid picture of Carl Peteson when you say "kiss his pinky ring." Although I'm sick of everybody bagging on Carl for no real reason, if you're going to bag on him, at least you're using good imagery. Kudos. You've managed to write one good sentance Jason. The rest of your article is total sh!t. The ideas are dumb, poorly laid out, and mean spirited. The writing is amateur, uses too much sarcasm, changes tense, and refers too often to the Imperial "you."

skky man
07-24-2005, 12:00 PM
Fat Whit is just an ass so what if DA wanted to retire a chief I think it's great that he thought that much of the organization! Last time I remembered Chester and DA were'nt the one's blowing leads in the 4th or getting torched on "D". To say they and other have plagued the chiefs is just stupid and
show's us more of Whit's self promotion by demeaning anyone and everything but himself

stevieray
07-24-2005, 12:25 PM
He must be more important than JW, I don't hear DA talking about him.

Skip Towne
07-24-2005, 12:32 PM
I think he's turning nothing into something.

OldTownChief
07-24-2005, 12:50 PM

It's the worst, and most embarrassing attempt at a play on words that I've ever seen. Jason, did you ever even take a writing class? Are you aware that puns and word play phrases are supposed to have DOUBLE meanings? This would only be clever if "Alexander the Great" had been a legendary football player. Had he been a Hall of Fame reciever, then it would be a really great play on words. But alas: Alexander the Great had nothing to do with football. So your reference holds ZERO meaning.

2. Bringing up Bill Maas and Carl Peterson's "feud."

Uhh, that seems like an interesting story Jason. Why not give us some INFORMATION about it? What is this feud about? Does it have something to do with Bill wanting his jersey retired? Or does it have something to do with his affiliations to 810? Regardless, you can't expect us to have an opinion, or to take a side unless you tell us about it. But you didn't... So, that part of the article is wasted print.

3. The first third of the article is just long winded sarcasm.

We get it. Nobody cares about where Derrick Alexander retires. Your joke would have been funny, if it were one sentence long. But, nope. It goes on... For FIVE AND A HALF PARAGRAPHS. Maybe you forgot, but when you change paragraphs, you're supposed to introduce a new thought. It's sad, and again... Wasted print.

4. Hateful attitude.

"But you also don’t disrespect your franchise by honoring marginal players." The idea that allowing any player to retire as a member of your organization is in anyway disrespecting that organization is stupid. Flat out... Stupid. Jason, this isn't about the organization retiring his jersey or putting him on the ring of fame. This is just the name of the team that he puts on his retirement benifits. Comparing this to Bill's "should be in the ring" issue is like saying that it's wrong for a Baptist to convert to Catholicism because the Cathlics wouldn't allow your buddie to be the Pope... Also, I seem to recall that this 'marginal' player was our team MVP one year.

5. Mention of gas prices.

What the F*CK is that all about? That little allusion is about as random as it gets. It's like you expect us to be surprised that you still thought this might be a good football team, DESPITE the horrible gas prices... I'm really thinking you should see a doctor, Jason. Lapses in logic like that could be early warning signs of a stroke.

In all of this, I see ONE instance of decent writing. You paint a vivid picture of Carl Peteson when you say "kiss his pinky ring." Although I'm sick of everybody bagging on Carl for no real reason, if you're going to bag on him, at least you're using good imagery. Kudos. You've managed to write one good sentance Jason. The rest of your article is total sh!t. The ideas are dumb, poorly laid out, and mean spirited. The writing is amateur, uses too much sarcasm, changes tense, and refers too often to the Imperial "you."

:clap: nice

DJay23
07-24-2005, 12:50 PM

I couldn't disagree more.

Whitlock's job is to get people to talk. You're talking. He's doing his job.

In fact, he's such a controversial prick, that he gets on national TV programs like PTI and Sports Reporters. That sells newspapers.

Whitlock is highly skilled at what he does.

StcChief
07-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Another reason to hate the media machine running 24/7.

If you don't have a story, make up something, do contraversal things to stir the pot, keep your name in the news.

Media reporting has turned into complete BS.

|Zach|
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM

In fact, he's such a controversial prick, that he gets on national TV programs like PTI and Sports Reporters. That sells newspapers.

I agree with this.

|Zach|
07-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Another reason to hate the media machine running 24/7.

If you don't have a story, make up something, do contraversal things to stir the pot, keep your name in the news.

Media reporting has turned into complete BS.
I hate to spend so much time defending the media but I am not sure how they can win around here.

If they just report the facts they get slammed for not giving us anything we dont already know.

If they get a little deeper and add things that are not facts they get slammed because they are not the right opinions or insights.

Baby Lee
07-24-2005, 04:22 PM
I hate to spend so much time defending the media but I am not sure how they can win around here.

If they just report the facts they get slammed for not giving us anything we dont already know.

If they get a little deeper and add things that are not facts they get slammed because they are not the right opinions or insights.
So if he posited, say, that we haven't won the SB because Lamar Hunt is a racist, that'd get us talking? That'd be an incisive insight that we need?
There's insights and then there's insights.
Slamming a guy who loves the team and the city enough to ask to be linked with them forever is not an insight that is constructive.
Like I said, in the pantheon of Chiefs players, Alexander might be the brightest star. But what does it hurt to have him express some KC/CHiefs love? He was a team MVP. It's not like he was some practice squad scrub. It's not like he's gochiefs [or me] asking for a contract to retire a Chief. What's it hurt. And what does it help to diss a guy who enjoyed his time here?

Saul Good
07-24-2005, 04:24 PM

By that logic, John Rocker should have been a reporter. He certainly got people talking. Never mind that it was because he was an idiot and a jerk just like Whitlock.

Whitlock only gets on those shows because he's an "edgy" black guy. Unless you're Jim Rome, if you're a white national sports reporter, you're either the goofy white guy or the straight man. If you're a black national sports reporter, you have to be edgy and/or speak in ebonics. That's what ESPN and the like think of the casual sports fan. We want to be XTREME. We R loud and N UR face. It's pretty pathetic.

|Zach|
07-24-2005, 04:25 PM
So if he posited, say, that we haven't won the SB because Lamar Hunt is a racist, that'd get us talking? That'd be an incisive insight that we need?
There's insights and then there's insights.
Slamming a guy who loves the team and the city enough to ask to be linked with them forever is not an insight that is constructive.
Like I said, in the pantheon of Chiefs players, Alexander might be the brightest star. But what does it hurt to have him express some KC/CHiefs love? He was a team MVP. It's not like he was some practice squad scrub. It's not like he's gochiefs [or me] asking for a contract to retire a Chief. What's it hurt. And what does it help to diss a guy who enjoyed his time here?
I don't have a problem with the DA thing and I don't agree with the article. I am more so talking about how someone in the media can't win covering the Chiefs.

DJay23
07-24-2005, 04:35 PM
By that logic, John Rocker should have been a reporter. He certainly got people talking. Never mind that it was because he was an idiot and a jerk just like Whitlock.

Whitlock only gets on those shows because he's an "edgy" black guy. Unless you're Jim Rome, if you're a white national sports reporter, you're either the goofy white guy or the straight man. If you're a black national sports reporter, you have to be edgy and/or speak in ebonics. That's what ESPN and the like think of the casual sports fan. We want to be XTREME. We R loud and N UR face. It's pretty pathetic.

Personally I don't find him particularly ascerbic, but I try not to let stupid shit that has no bearing on my quality of life bother me.

DJay23
07-24-2005, 04:39 PM
For the record I don't like the DA situation. It sets a dumb precedent. Is every mediocre player now going to sign one day contracts with their favorite teams just so they can retire with that team? Unless it's a Joe Montana/Jerry Rice type of player, it seems like more of an attention grabbing ploy than genuine love for the team.

One thing I'd like to know is, did they have a press conference or just the line on the NFL Transactions in the paper?

KCTitus
07-24-2005, 05:00 PM
It's really funny that Jason just cannot resist...

This article is not about DA or any other Chiefs player. It's about Jason's constant vigil/hatred toward Peterson. The funniest part, however, is this 'one day' contract has zero bearing on the actual 2005 team and the players CP and DV have brought in to fix this teams defense.

Nope, just could resist to take a shot at Peterson after one of the better offseasons since FA was established.

You can pull you pants back up now, Jason.

Zebedee DuBois
07-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Well, that is just sad...I don't care who you are.

Ripping an average player who wanted to retire as a Chief...just sad.

ROYC75
07-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Jason turning on DA is as fast as JW turning on to 16 slabs of ribs from Gates in a single meal ......... Nice job JW, neither is warrented.

shaneo69
07-24-2005, 06:47 PM
I guess time heals all wounds. All of sudden, people here are huge DA fans.

I thought the article was great. It's a joke that CP let him pull this stunt, and I wonder if anyone told DV about it. I'd love to hear a comment from him about this. I'll always remember the nicest thing I ever heard DV say about DA...."I don't dislike Derrick." Great compliment there.

I can't wait for the day when Elvis decides to retire as a Chief. That will be pretty cool.

Logical
07-24-2005, 06:50 PM
Great article by Whitlock. I expect Titus to be jealous, as his sarcasm franchise was infringed upon.

Logical
07-24-2005, 06:52 PM

as the saying goes we are all just alittle stupider for having just read another Carls has done this to piss me off article.

When is this fat untalented social retard going to learn that its not all about Whitlock.

The DA thing was done out of respect for the player,the city and the organization.

What an Asshat.
Oh goody, I sure hope Chester McGlocklin retires a Chiefs too!!!:rolleyes:

Logical
07-24-2005, 06:54 PM
It's really funny that Jason just cannot resist...

This article is not about DA or any other Chiefs player. It's about Jason's constant vigil/hatred toward Peterson. The funniest part, however, is this 'one day' contract has zero bearing on the actual 2005 team and the players CP and DV have brought in to fix this teams defense.

Nope, just could resist to take a shot at Peterson after one of the better offseasons since FA was established.

You can pull you pants back up now, Jason.ROFL Confound it, I guess I was wrong, Titus's was too busy protecting Carl's ass to be jealous of the excellent sarcasm.

milkman
07-24-2005, 07:05 PM

I'm fairly ambivalent about the whole DA retires a Chief thing.

I can't believe that Whitlock wasted an entire article on it, though.

I can't wait for the day when Elvis decides to retire as a Chief. That will be pretty cool.

Now that would piss me off.

Rain Man
07-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Derrick isn't a football player any more, he's a person. I think it's cool that he liked the Chiefs enough to want to do this.

Imon Yourside
07-24-2005, 08:18 PM
There are some who will shed tears the day Scanlon signs a 1 day contract to retire. I can't wait to read jw's column on it.

|Zach|
07-24-2005, 08:45 PM
There are some who will shed tears the day Scanlon signs a 1 day contract to retire. I can't wait to read jw's column on it.
ROFL

Baby Lee
07-25-2005, 05:29 AM
No, I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan. And in case you missed it, that is comprised of Kansas City and Chiefs, NOT New York and Yankees.
People need to get over themselves and face facts, if you're a cow town in flyover country with a football team who hasn't won a SB since the Edsel, you can't diss people who don't like the place AND people who DO like the place for not meeting your imagined standards of excellence.
Derrick liked his time here. Be a mensch and say "nice to hear." Then shut the f@ck up.

mcan
07-25-2005, 05:46 AM
As far as my thoughts on Derrick, personally... I wasn't a huge fan. I thought he provided us with a decent deep threat, and perhaps if he had more time in this system, he would have been a much bigger contributer. One thing is for sure, I don't remember him being a guy who dropped a lot of balls, or complained in the media, or bashed the coaches and general manager over the air waves over and over... But none of that matters now. The guy wants to be known as a Chief. I'm cool with that.

If Elvis wanted to be known as a Chief, I'd be cool with that too. He played his best seasons here, so it would make sense. Same thing if Neil Smith, Dale Carter, Dan Saleamua... Anybody who played at a high level for the Chiefs, and then moved on. Now, if they wanted to retire Grbac's jersey, I'd have a big problem with that.

Phobia
07-25-2005, 06:00 AM
As far as my thoughts on Derrick, personally... I wasn't a huge fan. I thought he provided us with a decent deep threat, and perhaps if he had more time in this system, he would have been a much bigger contributer. One thing is for sure, I don't remember him being a guy who dropped a lot of balls, or complained in the media, or bashed the coaches and general manager over the air waves over and over... But none of that matters now. The guy wants to be known as a Chief. I'm cool with that.

If Elvis wanted to be known as a Chief, I'd be cool with that too. He played his best seasons here, so it would make sense. Same thing if Neil Smith, Dale Carter, Dan Saleamua... Anybody who played at a high level for the Chiefs, and then moved on. Now, if they wanted to retire Grbac's jersey, I'd have a big problem with that.

Exactly. The gesture is essentially meaningless. Takes a secretary 10 minutes to generate a document and DA sign the thing.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 06:52 AM
ROFL Confound it, I guess I was wrong, Titus's was too busy protecting Carl's ass to be jealous of the excellent sarcasm.

LOL...right...please tell me that this wasnt one of the better offseasons in recent memory. I'll file that away with the whole Larry Johnson whining I heard from you a couple of years ago.

bobbything
07-25-2005, 08:10 AM
The idea that allowing any player to retire as a member of your organization is in anyway disrespecting that organization is stupid. Flat out... Stupid.
I agree 100% with this. Just because he wasn't this amazing player doesn't mean that he can't show his appreciation by saying he wants to consider himself a KC Chief.

I think that says a lot about the team, and more importantly, the city he played for.

I wish Whitlock wouldn't have tried to diminish that. It's not about the Chiefs disrespecting the organization, it's about the player saying, "I loved this team."

Lzen
07-25-2005, 08:45 AM

I think you're wrong. You've become so accustomed to the hype media these days that you don't recognize good reporters when you see them. Petro reports the facts. Sure, he provides his opinions on his radio show but there is one big difference. There is no "axe to grind" mentality in his reporting. Kietzman, Whitlock, Moss etc. all have some kind of "take a jab at the Chiefs anytime you can" overtone.

BigRedChief
07-25-2005, 08:59 AM

Writers don't get to chose the headlines for their articles or stories even opinion columns. It's that way for every newspaper.

mcan
07-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Writers don't get to chose the headlines for their articles or stories even opinion columns. It's that way for every newspaper.

Then whomever came up with this title needs to buy Jason lunch, because they're making him look like a 2nd grader.

Logical
07-25-2005, 10:35 AM
LOL...right...please tell me that this wasnt one of the better offseasons in recent memory. I'll file that away with the whole Larry Johnson whining I heard from you a couple of years ago.It was a good offseason, props to the front office for that. Does not change the fact that Carl is a tool and this was a shameless publicity stunt for a player that did not deserve it. I am suprised that the entire media recognizes this, yet so many Chiefs fans don't. It is an insult to those players who deserve to be honored like Tim Brown and Emmitt Smith when a hack like DA gets the same honor. If we were to do this for Albert Lewis or Neil Smith I would feel completely different as their careers with the Chiefs would warrant the action.

mlyonsd
07-25-2005, 10:42 AM
Of all the things Whitlock could have written about the Chiefs this time of year he whines about CP and a past player.

If that doesn't prove to you how pathetic Whitlock really is then there's no hope for you.

shaneo69
07-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Carl is a tool and this was a shameless publicity stunt for a player that did not deserve it. I am suprised that the entire media recognizes this, yet so many Chiefs fans don't. It is an insult to those players who deserve to be honored like Tim Brown and Emmitt Smith when a hack like DA gets the same honor. If we were to do this for Albert Lewis or Neil Smith I would feel completely different as their careers with the Chiefs would warrant the action.

You're exactly right, but you're forgetting that this is the homer season, and nobody is allowed to say anything negative about the Chiefs in July.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 11:26 AM
It was a good offseason, props to the front office for that. Does not change the fact that Carl is a tool and this was a shameless publicity stunt for a player that did not deserve it. I am suprised that the entire media recognizes this, yet so many Chiefs fans don't. It is an insult to those players who deserve to be honored like Tim Brown and Emmitt Smith when a hack like DA gets the same honor. If we were to do this for Albert Lewis or Neil Smith I would feel completely different as their careers with the Chiefs would warrant the action.

I didnt see it as a publicity stunt...matter of fact, I didnt even notice anything about it until I read Jason's tirade.

Rather than look back on the offseason, he chose this is THE topic to discuss. It's not suprising...it's evident that his 1998 16-0 prediction still hurts. That season was a disappointment, I agree, but at some point we have to move on. I found it ironic that Jason while being critical of Carl for holding a petty disagreement with a former player, essentially uses his entire space to do same.

I dont know about Smith, but Lewis hated this organization and as soon as he was FA elidgible, he bolted. Regardless of Carl/whoever in the FO, Lewis didnt want to have anything to do with this organization.

Bottom line, I dont know why KC chose to do this, I just found it pretty funny that this is what Jason chose to write about when the other option was to actually have to give credit to the organization for what appears to be a great offseason--no, he couldnt write that.

I was saddend not to read, however, anything about his playing days with Jeff George. He must have run out of space.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 11:27 AM
You're exactly right, but you're forgetting that this is the homer season, and nobody is allowed to say anything negative about the Chiefs in July.

You're kidding right? There's absolutely no homerism save for Bronco homerism allowed on this BB. You should know that by now.

Baby Lee
07-25-2005, 11:28 AM
WTF is homeriffic about busting on JW's take?
I'd submit it's the opposite. I realize that the Chief's sh!t does indeed stink, and they're in no position to look down their nose at a former player who praises them.
What about the Chiefs and Kansas City is SOOOOO great that they needn't accept the accolades of DA?
Like I said, this ain't New York. This ain't the Yankees. The organization and the region needs all the posrep they get.

Braincase
07-25-2005, 11:31 AM
I can tell you how the conversation will go next time I see DA...

"Hey Derrick, looks like the guys on ChiefsPlanet like you alot more than they like Jason Whitlock."

"Who?"

"Jason Whitlock. He's a hack over at the Star."

"The what?"

"The Kansas City Star. Local newspaper."

"Oh. Never read it. I get all my stuff straight from the Internet. They have an RSS?"

"Couldn't tell you. I'll check it out. I'll ask the guys on Chi..."

"ChiefsPlanet. Yeah, I know about them. Those guys crack me up. " (Smile)

"You been there?"

"Yeah, I post under the name Rain Man..."

shaneo69
07-25-2005, 11:31 AM
No, I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan. And in case you missed it, that is comprised of Kansas City and Chiefs, NOT New York and Yankees.
People need to get over themselves and face facts, if you're a cow town in flyover country with a football team who hasn't won a SB since the Edsel, you can't diss people who don't like the place AND people who DO like the place for not meeting your imagined standards of excellence.
Derrick liked his time here. Be a mensch and say "nice to hear." Then shut the f@ck up.

That's just sad. Sorry, I guess I just don't consider KC as pathetic of a place as you do.

Logical
07-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I didnt see it as a publicity stunt...matter of fact, I didnt even notice anything about it until I read Jason's tirade.

Rather than look back on the offseason, he chose this is THE topic to discuss. It's not suprising...it's evident that his 1998 16-0 prediction still hurts. That season was a disappointment, I agree, but at some point we have to move on. I found it ironic that Jason while being critical of Carl for holding a petty disagreement with a former player, essentially uses his entire space to do same.

I dont know about Smith, but Lewis hated this organization and as soon as he was FA elidgible, he bolted. Regardless of Carl/whoever in the FO, Lewis didnt want to have anything to do with this organization.

Bottom line, I dont know why KC chose to do this, I just found it pretty funny that this is what Jason chose to write about when the other option was to actually have to give credit to the organization for what appears to be a great offseason--no, he couldnt write that.

I was saddend not to read, however, anything about his playing days with Jeff George. He must have run out of space.

Only JW, no

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120039&highlight=Alexander

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119994&highlight=Alexander

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Only JW, no

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=120039&highlight=Alexander

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=119994&highlight=Alexander

Appreciate that. It proves my point. This wasnt a big deal...not according to those other authors. Teicher greeted it with a head scratch and Im guessing the other was KFFL which gave it a paragraph.

Comparing those two write ups to JW's is a wonderful contrast.

Chiefnj
07-25-2005, 11:57 AM
It's a non-story, but Whitlock has a point that a few players who put in a lot of time and put up big numbers left KC somewhat disgruntled with the management. Then you have Alexander, who didn't spend much time, etc., having the organization do this for him is something of a head scratcher.

No big deal, it gives Whitlock something to write about, which in turn will give Rufus Dawes something to write about.

Logical
07-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Appreciate that. It proves my point. This wasnt a big deal...not according to those other authors. Teicher greeted it with a head scratch and Im guessing the other was KFFL which gave it a paragraph.

Comparing those two write ups to JW's is a wonderful contrast.

You must not have read the same article I did from Teicher.

When a player signs a contract so he can retire as a member of a certain team, it’s usually because he is a franchise icon — like Emmitt Smith with Dallas or Tim Brown with Oakland.

The Chiefs took time Friday to bestow that honor on … Derrick Alexander?

Alexander, a wide receiver, was neither a superstar nor wildly popular with the Arrowhead Stadium masses. He had one big season for the Chiefs in 2000 when he caught 78 passes for a team-record 1,391 yards and 10 touchdowns and was chosen team MVP.

His three other Chiefs seasons were, at best, average. He was released by the Chiefs following the 2001 season after he caught 27 passes for a team starving for competent receivers.

I would say Teicher is clearly criticizing the move.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 12:24 PM

I guess Im not. If you cannot see the contrast between the 2 articles, I do not possess the vocabulary to explain it.

Brock
07-25-2005, 12:28 PM

Looks more like a head scratch to me.

|Zach|
07-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I think you're wrong. You've become so accustomed to the hype media these days that you don't recognize good reporters when you see them. Petro reports the facts. Sure, he provides his opinions on his radio show but there is one big difference. There is no "axe to grind" mentality in his reporting. Kietzman, Whitlock, Moss etc. all have some kind of "take a jab at the Chiefs anytime you can" overtone.
When people just reort the facts that are greeted with :ZZZ: around here because it is something that is prob already known.

Logical
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
I guess Im not. If you cannot see the contrast between the 2 articles, I do not possess the vocabulary to explain it.

Well no matter, to me it was just a tasteless publicity stunt by DA that the Chiefs played along with to obtain some cynical press attention (any PR is better than no PR logic) and the press screwed up by reporting this non-news. I will agree that ignoring it was the best thing the press could have done, but second best was criticizing it.

Braincase
07-25-2005, 07:02 PM
Well no matter, to me it was just a tasteless publicity stunt by DA that the Chiefs played along with to obtain some cynical press attention (any PR is better than no PR logic) and the press screwed up by reporting this non-news. I will agree that ignoring it was the best thing the press could have done, but second best was criticizing it.

But you have to admit that as a PR gag, moment, stunt, whatever it's BRILLIANT. People are talking more about Derrick Alexander than they ever did when he was playing. I think folks with a mind towards ad & promotion ought to recognize this for what it is - attention, and a whole bunch of it.

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2005, 07:51 PM
I can tell you how the conversation will go next time I see DA...

"Hey Derrick, looks like the guys on ChiefsPlanet like you alot more than they like Jason Whitlock."

"Who?"

"Jason Whitlock. He's a hack over at the Star."

"The what?"

"The Kansas City Star. Local newspaper."

"Oh. Never read it. I get all my stuff straight from the Internet. They have an RSS?"

"Couldn't tell you. I'll check it out. I'll ask the guys on Chi..."

"ChiefsPlanet. Yeah, I know about them. Those guys crack me up. " (Smile)

"You been there?"

"Yeah, I post under the name Rain Man..."Breelyant! 24 carat, like Dracula starin' at a plate o' liver!

/possessed by Ray Hudson

Logical
07-25-2005, 07:54 PM
But you have to admit that as a PR gag, moment, stunt, whatever it's BRILLIANT. People are talking more about Derrick Alexander than they ever did when he was playing. I think folks with a mind towards ad & promotion ought to recognize this for what it is - attention, and a whole bunch of it.Definitely true

Fishpicker
07-26-2005, 12:34 PM
whitlock is so jaded I dont trust his opinion on anything he has to say about Carl or the Chiefs in general. the quality of whitlock's writing is very poor hence, he often resorts to sniping.

as for DA, I cant believe this has been reported to the extent that it has. I dont think it's newsworthy at all.
I like DA and I hope he enjoys his retirement. its a shame he had to be dragged through this kind of crap

whoman69
07-26-2005, 03:56 PM

He's supposed to get us engaged in intelligent conversation, not just to bitch at him for being so stupid and selfish all the time. ESPN rewards this sort of thing as witnessed by Jim Rome getting a show after starting a fight with Jim Everett and now their newest show host Steven A. Idontknowwhatimtalkingaboutbutifisayitloudenoughpeoplewillbelieveme. Dumbing down the conversation is not Whitlock's job.

Anyong Bluth
07-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I find it more interesting that JW decides to give credit to Maas than anything else in the article.

Considering how those 2 could not get along at 810 and how hard it was for them to stay in the same studio for their time at 610, makes me wonder why there is a lovefest now?

As for Whitlock's knocking on Carl and always going after him? You are kidding right. He has played devil's advocate about CP with his over the top rants. While he doesn't always agree and isn't a Dawes-like puppet for the Chiefs, he does get along with CP. He has had CP to his holiday parties and unlike Kietzman doesn't have the same "nerd in sports reporter's clothing" reaction over the Chiefs handling of media and contract discussions under CP.

There is something odd about pandering for Alexander for sure by the Chiefs, though!?