PDA

View Full Version : Greatest American Sports Hero

katman1
07-24-2005, 12:19 PM
We dearly love our American heroes. Lance Armstrong gets my vote as the greatest American sports hero. Records are made to be broken but it is highly unlikely anyone will break his record of seven consecutive Tour de France wins. For the benefit of those who don’t follow bicycling and the Tour de France, a single tour victory in ’05 was comprised of 20 days of grueling competition over 2121 miles. Baseball aficionados still call DiMaggio’s heretofore unbeatable record of hits in 58 consecutive games as ‘the greatest’.

Comments & choices are welcome. That's what makes horse races.

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2005, 12:33 PM
Armstrong has beeen very impressive. Even for a cyclist. Don't get me wrong, he's been amazing....cyclists just remind me too much of soccer players.

Skip Towne
07-24-2005, 12:42 PM
DiMaggio's streak ended at 56 games, BTW, not 58.

Thig Lyfe
07-24-2005, 12:44 PM
It's all rigged. Lance Armstrong has won all of these Tours because his name rhymes with France, and so newspaper editors don't need to spend time thinking of a headline.

teedubya
07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
it must be easier to ride a bike with only one nut.

*groans

Skip Towne
07-24-2005, 12:52 PM
Well, it says America's Greatest Sports Hero. Armstrong would be lucky to have 35 fans. Hell, Bartee's got more than that. I wonder how many Planeteers could pick Armstrong out of a lineup? I couldn't. He doesn't make my top 50.

duncan_idaho
07-24-2005, 01:03 PM
You can't discount Armstrong's phenomenal physical ability... he's a freakish athlete, and his body can handle physical strain and punishment like no other. I mean, his resting heart rate is something like 32 beats below a normal person's. When he's climbing those mountain ranges, he's cranking out 5,000 watts of power an hour... the average person would do about 2,000 on a flat terrain pedaling their guts out...

And he does that six hours a day, for two weeks straight. After suviving debilitating illness... that should have killed him or at least ended his career. I'm not a big cycling fan, but his athletic ability is amazing.

StcChief
07-24-2005, 01:32 PM
Incredible athlete.

He gets my vote as greatest cyclist ever.
If there is a bicycle HOF. he's in first ballot,no doubt.

Other sports have their own challenges as well.

Tough to campare different sports equally.

manny
07-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Muhammad Ali, without a doubt.

Rausch
07-24-2005, 01:40 PM
Muhammad Ali, without a doubt.

Ditto.

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Brian Biotano?

;)

teedubya
07-24-2005, 02:30 PM
it must be easier to ride a bike with only one nut.

*groans

let me clarify, I feel kinda bad about this comment.... kinda.

JimNasium
07-24-2005, 02:30 PM
Ditka.

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2005, 02:31 PM
let me clarify, I feel kinda bad about this comment.... kinda.

Don't be. That was funny shit....heh.

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2005, 02:33 PM
Ditka.

I still like the SNL skit "da Bears" fans.....heh.

"So, if da Packers played just Ditka.....what do you think the score would be?"

"Eh, it would be closer......I say.....the Pack 3, Ditka 63."

ROFL

luv
07-24-2005, 02:34 PM
Brian Biotano?

;)
NO WAY! Scott Hamilton. He also faught disease.

Mr. Kotter
07-24-2005, 02:35 PM
NO WAY! Scott Hamilton. He also faught disease.

My bad....heh. ROFL

milkman
07-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Ok, I don't want to be offensive, and I do respect what Armstrong has overcome and accomplished.

I also understand that the Tour De (we surrender)France is a grueling competition, but in the end, I don't give a rat's ass about it or Armstrong, and in 10 years, about the only time his name will be mentioned, ever, is when the race is on, and when he dies.

luv
07-24-2005, 03:36 PM
Ok, I don't want to be offensive, and I do respect what Armstrong has overcome and accomplished.

I also understand that the Tour De (we surrender)France is a grueling competition, but in the end, I don't give a rat's ass about it or Armstrong, and in 10 years, about the only time his name will be mentioned, ever, is when the race is on, and when he dies.
I would disagree with that. I'm sure that there will be a cancer foundation of some sort set up in his name. YOU may not hear his name, but for someone with cancer, his name may become important.

Deberg_1990
07-24-2005, 03:43 PM
Greg Louganis?

CanadaKC
07-24-2005, 04:16 PM
Canadian sports hero...Terry Fox...has anyone heard of him?

penchief
07-24-2005, 04:21 PM
William Kaat, of course.

DJay23
07-24-2005, 04:28 PM
It would be different if anyone in this country gave a shit about the Tour de France and cycling in general. It's not like people have Tour de France parties. And by the way, I'm sure there are, but I don't think I've ever heard of any other professional cycling meets/matches/races.

Armstrong is a tremendous athlete and an inspiring story to anyone, but not the GREATEST American Sports Hero.

Who ever said Muhammed Ali, was right. As he stated to aptly, "I AM THE GREATEST!"

milkman
07-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I would disagree with that. I'm sure that there will be a cancer foundation of some sort set up in his name. YOU may not hear his name, but for someone with cancer, his name may become important.

We are, I believe, talking about name recognition in the world of sports, and that person being an American Sports hero.

When names like Babe Ruth, Johnny Unitas, Ali, Broadway Joe, etc are mentioned, their names bring up images of the sports they excelled in (or in a couple of cases, like Namoth, perceived to have excelled in).

10 years from now, when that cancer patient receives help from the "Lance Armstrong" foundation, he'll find that name important becasue of his illness, not because he excelled in a sport that American's have any further interest in.

Skip Towne
07-24-2005, 05:44 PM
I know nothing about cycling. But I will go out on a limb and guess there are 26 Chiefs players that make more money than Armstrong.

Hydrae
07-24-2005, 06:02 PM

There already is a Lance Armstrong Foundation (http://www.livestrong.org/site/c.jvKZLbMRIsG/b.594849/k.CC7C/Home.htm).

I could easily pick Armstrong out of a lineup but then again, he is the biggest thing going here in his hometown of Austin.

Ali is a good choice. My first thought when I saw the thread title was Michael Jordan.

cdcox
07-24-2005, 06:17 PM
I know nothing about cycling. But I will go out on a limb and guess there are 26 Chiefs players that make more money than Armstrong.

Your limb just cracked out from underneath you. According to the article below, Armstrong's cycling salary alone was $2M per year back in 2000. I'm sure it has gone up from there. Including endorsements, he cleared $18M this year. He gets $200,000K per speaking engagement. Look at the list of celebrities that he hobnobs with. No Chief has any where near this kind of clout or income.

What most Americans don't realize is that cycling is the second biggest sport in Europe, after soccer. Armstrong is better known overseas than probably any NFL player. And better known in this country than any Chief player.

Ali is the correct answer, though. When he was still boxing it was said that he is the most recognizable face in the world.

http://www.reflector.com/sports/content/shared/sports/tourdefrance/2005/062605lance.html

In the final days of his career, Lance Armstrong is still loving all the hard work
He hasn't grown tired of the training for the Tour de France, although he's looking ahead to retirement.
By Suzanne Halliburton
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, June 26, 2005
Lance Armstrong says he still lives for the pain, the burning sensation that sizzles through his calves and pumps through his chest when he reaches for his famous rocket gear and surges up a mountain road so steep that walking would be a problem for the non-athlete. He loves to spends hours on the bike testing equipment, measuring his heart rate so that he'll know when it's best to attack. He has made his name, and his fortune, this way.

But in another month, he'll have to find other things to do. After the Tour de France finishes on the Champs-Elysées on July 24, the Austinite and six-time defending Tour champion will retire.

20TH CENTURY FOX
(enlarge photo)
Armstrong has parlayed his fame into the occasional television and movie appearance, too. He had a cameo role alongside Vince Vaughn, right, in 'Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.'
Complete Tour coverage

In an interview this month, the 33-year-old said he had no grand plans, jokingly suggested he might run for public office (and cunningly declined to reveal a political affiliation), talked of touring with his rock star girlfriend and mentioned he had some speeches to give, but emphasized that fatherhood would always come first.

"I want to be a full-time dad," he said. Son Luke is 5, and twins Grace and Isabelle are 3.

Mostly, he appeared bored with talking about life after the Tour. However, those close to him, including friends, his coach and and his agent, paint a portrait of a man both excited and at ease with what's next.

"I know one thing: He can't sit still for long," said Austin businessman John Korioth, a close friend of Armstrong's since the two started riding bikes together in 1996. "But I don't think he's going to have a tough time not being a star."

"I think you're going to see a lot more of him than when he was racing," said Chris Carmichael, Armstrong's private coach for the past 15 years.

Armstrong certainly doesn't need to earn a paycheck. Cycling has paid the bills since 1992; by 1996 he could afford a $1 million home on Lake Austin and a black Porsche.

Later, winning the Tour de France brought the kind of wealth that allowed him to afford multiple homes in Austin and Europe and the use of a chartered jet. He's traded the Porsche in for a more family-friendly Suburban, now his preferred vehicle.

Just before he won the Tour in 1999, Armstrong's base salary was $500,000. In the month after the victory, his salary quadrupled. In the past two years, when he tied, then broke the Tour record for career wins, he's earned $16 million to $18 million annually, a figure that includes his team salary and endorsement income.

During the winning streak, he has been on the cover of Sports Illustrated eight times, including last week's edition, and has appeared on national commercials for corporations such as Nike, Subaru, Coke and Bristol-Myers-Squibb.

These days, he's the subject of four different commercials, all filmed at the old Austin airport, touting the Discovery Channel's sponsorship of the cycling team.

Armstrong's stream of income probably will decrease, just as any other retired athlete's does.

However, he has prepared himself well for life after cycling; he has ongoing endorsement deals with Bristol-Myers Squibb and 24 Hour Fitness clubs and is under contract with Discovery Channel, his team's new sponsor, to appear on television shows that focus on fitness and travel.

His contracts with Nike and Subaru are up for renegotiation at the end of the year. When he signed the Subaru deal in 2003, which called for him to be in six national commercials, it was worth $12 million. Nike, which has been the cyclist's sponsor since 1996, recently released an Armstrong-themed clothing line.

Armstrong's Austin agent, Bill Stapleton, has been careful with his client's rising popularity, saying the champion has agreed to endorse "only best-in-breed type companies." He described the Armstrong marketing image as "hope, leadership, winning, elegance."

Stapleton said it's doubtful Armstrong will want to take on new sponsors in his retirement for the sake of a paycheck. He said, "You're not going to see him doing a toothpaste commercial."

Immediately after the race, Armstrong said, he will take a two-week vacation on a beach in the Florida Panhandle with his children and girlfriend Sheryl Crow. They'll stay at Crow's home near Destin. It's where they went a year ago to decompress after Armstrong won his sixth Tour in a row, breaking the record that had been accomplished by only four riders before him.

Then it's back to Austin. He has a ranch in Dripping Springs and is building a home near Lake Travis.

His close friends say Armstrong will be more visible. He'll live in the United States full time, as opposed to spending half the year in Europe.

He'll make speeches and appearances on behalf of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, which promotes survivorship issues that were so important to him after he completed three months of chemotherapy in 1996 for advanced testicular cancer.

In addition to the speeches he gives on behalf of the foundation, Armstrong is set to give three to five speeches for a minimum of $200,000 per event before the end of the year. He'll travel to Israel for one, Canada for another.

Cycling will never drift far from Armstrong's life. He owns a minority stake in Team Discovery, although he says he's not even sure what the percentage is, terming it "more emotional" than financial.

He's expected to be an ambassador for the cycling team and intends for the organization to win another Tour with a different rider.

It's possible Armstrong will be the person who seals the deal when Discovery signs the next great rider.

Armstrong does like to drop hints that he's interested in politics, saying he has his eye on a "house near downtown" — the Governor's Mansion.

But when pressed for specifics, Armstrong says he's joking. He's never revealed publicly whether's he's a Democrat or a Republican.

Both President Bush and John Kerry, the Democratic presidential nominee, sported Armstrong's LiveStrong yellow bracelets during last year's campaign.

Armstrong began dating Crow three months after the cyclist and his wife, Kristin, separated in August 2003. Their divorce was final in December that year. Crow made just about every day of the 2004 Tour. Earlier this year, the couple were presenters at the Grammys.

There were rumors in May that the couple had broken up. Those stories, which Armstrong said were inaccurate, were spawned in Europe after Crow was seen at an Eric Clapton concert. Clapton is Crow's ex-fiance. Armstrong and Crow have been living together, splitting time between his ranch and her home in Hollywood. They have not announced plans to marry.

Crow, the multiple-Grammy winning rock star, is due to release an album in September. When she goes on tour, Armstrong will keep her company on the bus and tote her guitars. For the first time in a while, he'll be playing the supporting role. But his friends say he'll adjust fine to not always being the center of attention.

One reason Armstrong has had few problems as his fame has increased is that his immediate advisers also happen to be his closest friends, the ones he made before he was diagnosed with cancer in 1996.

Johan Bruyneel, Armstrong's team director, joined that mix of about five to six people in 1999.

However, in his winning streak, Armstrong has added high-profile celebrities to his circle of friends, and that's made him popular fodder with the tabloids and People magazine.

Actor Robin Williams, who left a joke-laden congratulatory voice mail on Armstrong's cell phone after he won his first yellow in 1999, hasn't missed a Tour since 2000.

Actor Ben Stiller became friends with Armstrong a year ago and flew to Austin to serve as master of ceremonies for an Armstrong Foundation event.

In the six-year winning streak, Armstrong also has dined with President Clinton, met several times with President Bush, stayed at the home of actor Kevin Costner and flown by helicopter over the ruins of the World Trade Center with New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and off several mountains in France with Nike founder Phil Knight.

Still, Armstrong hasn't changed much to his friends. He has, however, taken on a bodyguard.

Korioth spent a week driving the Discovery bus at the Tour de Georgia in April. He said up to 300 fans would surround the bus each day.

Many of the fans wanted to tell Armstrong their story of surviving cancer. They even knew Korioth's nickname "College" because they'd read Armstrong's two best-selling autobiographies.

"They'd sit by the bus and want to touch his bike — that would be enough for them," Korioth said.

"This is not Michael Jordan or Tiger Woods popularity. It's totally different. People have such an emotional tie to him because of the cancer. Everybody has a story. It's 'My sister has cancer and I ride bikes.' Or, 'My wife has cancer and I started riding bikes because of you.' There's so much of an emotional tie."

At last year's Tour, the crush of people forced Armstrong to have two bodyguards, who would trot beside him when he checked in at the starting village every day and then run after him when he crossed the finish line and headed for the team bus.

But that's about it for the entourage.

"Fame makes me uncomfortable," Armstrong said. "I like to consider myself an average person. I've never thought, 'I need an entourage.' I've never been that way."

But his foremost thoughts are spending leisurely time with his children. Armstrong and his former wife, who lives in Austin, share custody.

He said he wants to be home for Father's Day, rather than talking to his kids on the phone, as he did this year when he was in the French Alps training for the Tour. He talks now and then about having more time to do things other dads can do: shopping for clothes, going to recitals, coaching Little League games.

Last year, the kids missed the Tour. This year, he plans for all three to be in Paris, sitting in a grandstand near the Arc d'Triomphe, when he finishes his last professional race. In the meantime, he's focused on a seventh victory.

"With (four) weeks to go before I end my career," he said, "I'm still surprised every day how much I love what I do."

milkman
07-24-2005, 06:32 PM
What most Americans don't realize is that cycling is the second biggest sport in Europe, after soccer. Armstrong is better known overseas than probably any NFL player. And better known in this country than any Chief player.

So what you're saying is that he doesn't qualify as the greatest Euro sports hero.

As Americans, we don't care that cycling is the second biggest sport in Europe.
Lance Armstrong is a dominating performer in a sport that hardly anyone in the U.S. cares about.
He can not, because of that one simple fact, be a great American sports hero.

Speaking for myself only, I'm glad that the TDF is over, and I hope I never hear about it, or Armstrong, again.
Because I don't care, and it pisses me off that the talk show hosts on sports talk radio waste any time at all talking about it.

Iowanian
07-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Joe Lewis, knocking the the chin off of Germany's hero did alot for our country...and for black folks at the time

cdcox
07-24-2005, 06:42 PM
Speaking for myself only, I'm glad that the TDF is over, and I hope I never hear about it, or Armstrong, again.
Because I don't care, and it pisses me off that the talk show hosts on sports talk radio waste any time at all talking about it.

I'm afraid your out of luck. Cycling is attracting more and more American athletes. 25 years ago exactly 1 American had ever ridden in The Tour. When Lemond won it a few years later, it attracted a small hoard of younger Americans to the sport, Armstrong included. There were 5 Americans in the top 25. There will no doubt be another American contending for the overall title in the near future, and we will see higher levels of coverage whent this occurs.

milkman
07-24-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm afraid your out of luck. Cycling is attracting more and more American athletes. 25 years ago exactly 1 American had ever ridden in The Tour. When Lemond won it a few years later, it attracted a small hoard of younger Americans to the sport, Armstrong included. There were 5 Americans in the top 25. There will no doubt be another American contending for the overall title in the near future, and we will see higher levels of coverage whent this occurs.

Those Bastards :cuss:

Actually, it's not really a big deal.
It's only, what, 17 days a year.

ChiefFripp
07-24-2005, 06:56 PM
After taking off my homer goggles, I'll go with Priest Holmes.

luv
07-24-2005, 08:00 PM
We are, I believe, talking about name recognition in the world of sports, and that person being an American Sports hero.

When names like Babe Ruth, Johnny Unitas, Ali, Broadway Joe, etc are mentioned, their names bring up images of the sports they excelled in (or in a couple of cases, like Namoth, perceived to have excelled in).

10 years from now, when that cancer patient receives help from the "Lance Armstrong" foundation, he'll find that name important becasue of his illness, not because he excelled in a sport that American's have any further interest in.
While cycling may not be a popular sport, who will you think of from now on when you hear the word cyclist? Or to turn it around, what sport will you think if when you hear the name Lance Armstrong? Cycling, of course. What sport did Johnny Unitas play?

luv
07-24-2005, 08:05 PM
So what you're saying is that he doesn't qualify as the greatest Euro sports hero.

As Americans, we don't care that cycling is the second biggest sport in Europe.
Lance Armstrong is a dominating performer in a sport that hardly anyone in the U.S. cares about.
He can not, because of that one simple fact, be a great American sports hero.

Just because you couldn't care less, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. Even on the rural roads and highways around Springfield, I have noticed that I have been having to go around more and more cyclist. I may not be into either. I agree with you, I'm not into cycling. I'm just saying there are a growing number of people who are.

milkman
07-24-2005, 08:07 PM
While cycling may not be a popular sport, who will you think of from now on when you hear the word cyclist? Or to turn it around, what sport will you think if when you hear the name Lance Armstrong? Cycling, of course. What sport did Johnny Unitas play?

You're right, Lance Armstrong and cycling will forever linked, for those of us that are here now.

20 years from now, will an 18 year kid know about Lance Armstrong?

Maybe, but I doubt most will know.

But everyone knows who Ali is.

luv
07-24-2005, 08:08 PM
Just because you couldn't care less, doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way. Even on the rural roads and highways around Springfield, I have noticed that I have been having to go around more and more cyclist. I may not be into either. I agree with you, I'm not into cycling. I'm just saying there are a growing number of people who are.
All this being said, I would say ONE OF THE GREATEST sports heroes is MIchael Jordan.

luv
07-24-2005, 08:09 PM
You're right, Lance Armstrong and cycling will forever linked, for those of us that are here now.

20 years from now, will an 18 year kid know about Lance Armstrong?

Maybe, but I doubt most will know.

But everyone knows who Ali is.
Of course the fact that Wil Smith did a movie about him kind of helps the recognition with the younger folks. If in 20 years, someone did a movie on Lance Armstrong, then the younger generation would come to know about him as well.

milkman
07-24-2005, 08:10 PM

It's just like soccer.
Kids all around the country have been playing it for years.
We've been hearing for 30-35 years that it's the next big sport in America.

But the interest in the sport, beyond the youth participation has never really materialized.

luv
07-24-2005, 08:13 PM
I may sound dumb, but I still don't know who Johnny Unitas is.

milkman
07-24-2005, 08:16 PM
Of course the fact that Wil Smith did a movie about him kind of helps the recognition with the younger folks. If in 20 years, someone did a movie on Lance Armstrong, then the younger generation would come to know about him as well.

I don't think that movie had to be made for kids to recognize Ali.

I was at a sports bar a few years ago for the Tyson-Holyfield earmeal fight talking with some kids about Ali.

They knew who he was.
They were just wanting to know if he was as good as they'd always heard.

milkman
07-24-2005, 08:19 PM
I may sound dumb, but I still don't know who Johnny Unitas is.

QB for the Baltimore Colts.
Led them to a win in the 1958 NFL Championship game in OT, considered by most pundits to be the greatest game ever.
Put the NFL on the sports map.

Johnny U was considered to be the greatest QB ever, until Montana.

luv
07-24-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't think that movie had to be made for kids to recognize Ali.

I was at a sports bar a few years ago for the Tyson-Holyfield earmeal fight talking with some kids about Ali.

They knew who he was.
They were just wanting to know if he was as good as they'd always heard.
Just for the record, I'm not disagreeing that Ali was great, and that people aren't going to recognize his name. I think I'm arguing for argument's sake. You make it so easy. :p

milkman
07-24-2005, 08:21 PM
Just for the record, I'm not disagreeing that Ali was great, and that people aren't going to recognize his name. I think I'm arguing for argument's sake. You make it so easy. :p

I do what I can! :)

Rain Man
07-24-2005, 08:23 PM
I don't think that anyone other than Babe Ruth can be considered for this list. He's not a person any more; he's a legend.

tk13
07-24-2005, 08:26 PM
I don't think Lance is the #1 greatest sports hero, but considering most people couldn't name another famous cyclist, his ability to do what he's done and recieve so much attention that a cyclist could even enter the argument is pretty remarkable.

Nightfyre
07-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Tiger Woods would make a case. I hate him tho.

luv
07-24-2005, 09:34 PM
I don't think Lance is the #1 greatest sports hero, but considering most people couldn't name another famous cyclist, his ability to do what he's done and recieve so much attention that a cyclist could even enter the argument is pretty remarkable.
Well whaddaya know? He lives. Have you been MIA, or we just not been poting in the same threads? Good to see you again.

go bo
07-24-2005, 10:40 PM
maby he's been smurfing as redrum or something...

but i'm glad to see him back...

(you see? you've been gone so long we talk about you in the second person, or whatever that is...)

keg in kc
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
(you see? you've been gone so long we talk about you in the second person, or whatever that is...)Third person.

( First person - person speaking (I). Second person - person spoken to (You). Third person - Person spoken of. (Him) )

luv
07-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Third person.

( First person - person speaking (I). Second person - person spoken to (You). Third person - Person spoken of. (Him) )
Beat me to it.

go bo
07-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Third person.

( First person - person speaking (I). Second person - person spoken to (You). Third person - Person spoken of. (Him) )well shit, i knew it was some person...

Saulbadguy
07-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, it says America's Greatest Sports Hero. Armstrong would be lucky to have 35 fans. Hell, Bartee's got more than that. I wonder how many Planeteers could pick Armstrong out of a lineup? I couldn't. He doesn't make my top 50.
I concur.

Saulbadguy
07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
What does "Greatest American Sports hero" entail? Would they have had to fought adversity to become great?

In that case, i'd even put Arthur Ashe over Lance. My #1 would probably be Jackie Robinson.

KC Kings
07-26-2005, 11:46 AM
You can't discount Armstrong's phenomenal physical ability... he's a freakish athlete, and his body can handle physical strain and punishment like no other. I mean, his resting heart rate is something like 32 beats below a normal person's. When he's climbing those mountain ranges, he's cranking out 5,000 watts of power an hour... the average person would do about 2,000 on a flat terrain pedaling their guts out...

And he does that six hours a day, for two weeks straight. After suviving debilitating illness... that should have killed him or at least ended his career. I'm not a big cycling fan, but his athletic ability is amazing.

Bicycle racing is ghey. He may be a great athlete but who gives a crap about bike racing? I follow all sports from ESPN, and even with Lance making headlines a bet less than one percent of population of a sports loving BBS like ChiefsPlanet know and understand all of the rules with the race and how all of the legs work.

I watched "The Science of Lance" on Discovery HD the other morning, and it was pretty interesting talking about how his body differs from other peoples.

"Physiologist Edward Coyle, who runs the Human Performance Lab at the University of Texas in Austin, has studied Armstrong's body for eight years. He's discovered that the cyclist has an oversized heart that has grown through training to become 30 per cent larger than the average man's.

His heart can pump nine gallons of blood per minute, compared to five for the average person. In fact, Coyle estimates that the 5-foot-10 Armstrong had a heart proportional to the size of a 6'6 man.

Armstrong's lungs can absorb twice as much oxygen. His muscles produce half as much lactic acid and expel it faster, allowing him to ride harder up the Tour's notoriously brutal hills and then recover quickly.

An average person turns 20 per cent of the oxygen he breathes into muscle power. Armstrong gets 23 per cent -- close to the highest ever recorded in a human. So with each breath he delivers more power to each push of the pedal.

Armstrong's body is so unique, if he didn't train at all, he would still be in better physical condition than an average person in top condition."

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1122051794849_117460994/?hub=CTVNewsAt11

I knew had had testicular cancer, but didn't know that since bike riders were those tight little panties all the time their balls always hurt, so as his balls were mutating into rotten wastes of jello he thought it was normal. By the time they caught it the cancer had spread into his brain and lungs. He had it removed from his balls and brain, but had a special treatment done for his lungs. If it wasn't for his unique physical characteristics he would have died from the cancer, and should have died anyway.

Pretty interesting story and a good show, but the guy is a cocky a-hole, and does not a good sportsmans attitude. Being the best bike racer has the impact of being the best shuffleboard player. Doesn't even make the top 25, IMO.

ct
07-26-2005, 12:12 PM
We dearly love our American heroes. Lance Armstrong gets my vote as the greatest American sports hero. Records are made to be broken but it is highly unlikely anyone will break his record of seven consecutive Tour de France wins. For the benefit of those who don’t follow bicycling and the Tour de France, a single tour victory in ’05 was comprised of 20 days of grueling competition over 2121 miles. Baseball aficionados still call DiMaggio’s heretofore unbeatable record of hits in 58 consecutive games as ‘the greatest’.

Comments & choices are welcome. That's what makes horse races.

It's 56 games.

Are you asking for a hero, or an unbreakable record?

whoman69
07-26-2005, 04:28 PM
7 Tour de France wins is amazing, but its a minor sport that does not have a very deep core of athletes doing it at high levels. It's not inconceivable that the record is broken either. There are unbreakable sports records out there. Nobody has come close to Cy Young's 511 wins. Jerry Rice broke the all-time receptions record by 65%. Just think of how many catches Randy Moss has had and imagine he would need to keep that pace up for more than 10 years to catch up to Rice, and Moss is 28.

KCChiefsMan
07-26-2005, 05:07 PM
If I could only name one I would have to go with Michael Jordan

Babe Ruth, Lance Armstrong, Muhammad Ali, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, Joe Dimagio, Jackie Robinson all have to be high on a list