PDA

View Full Version : Does the Tour De France winner get any money?

UteChief
07-24-2005, 07:40 PM
I was wonderinf if the winner and subsequesnt finishers get paid money? And to teams make money? Why else would they do it? I do not mean sponsorships or endorsements.

chagrin
07-24-2005, 07:41 PM
:spock:

siberian khatru
07-24-2005, 08:20 PM
No, but he gets to bang Sheryl Crow.

StcChief
07-24-2005, 08:33 PM
Cleanup on ads and endorsements.
Bonus screwing StL (I don't want to remember being from here) slut Cheryl Crowe

beer bacon
07-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I was wonderinf if the winner and subsequesnt finishers get paid money? And to teams make money? Why else would they do it? I do not mean sponsorships or endorsements.

Soo uhhhh, why do you not mean sponsorships or endorsements?

Iowanian
07-24-2005, 08:51 PM
I don't know, but after riding a bike 28thousandy miles in 3 weeks, I'll guarantee they all have a serious case of swampass

Zebedee DuBois
07-24-2005, 08:57 PM
It seems I remember the top prize being around $2 million, but I don't recall with certainty.

I do know that Armstrong splits the prize evenly amongt his teammates.

I don't think he shares the endorsement money, or his girl friend.

cdcox
07-24-2005, 09:01 PM
There is a significant prize for the winner of the yellow jersey, that by tradition, is split among the team members.

cdcox
07-24-2005, 09:11 PM
More fully:

Each stage winner recieves a cash prize.

The team with the best overall time receives a cash prize.

Each of the jersey winner receives a cash prize (yellow (overall), green (points), polka-dot (mountan), and white (youth).

I think there are cash prizes for other top finishers for each stage and overall.

However, the major income source is sponsorship. While I don't follow it, I would imagine NASCAR is similar. Each sponsor spends significant money in support of the team (rider contracts, equipment, support staff, travel, expenses, etc.) in exchange for the publicity. Teams with lots of good performances generate more publicity and hence get better contracts than teams with fewer good performances. Teams tend to stick together, with a few riders changing each year. Sponsership of teams is more transient (last year's USPS is this year's Discovery) with a half life of about 3 years.

Logical
07-24-2005, 09:12 PM
How much money does the Tour winner get?

335,390 Euro, out of a total prize pool of 1,854,035 Euro - but he doesn't keep it. Because it's impossible to win the Tour de France without the assistance of a team, the winner traditionally divides his winnings among the team.
There's a lot of prize money at stake in the Tour de France, and not simply for the final winner. Money is awarded in individual stages down to 25th place, with the exception of the team time trial, as only 21 teams are in the race. Daily prizes are given to the leader of each jersey competition, and each points or mountain sprint carries its own prizes for the first three across the line. Additional prizes are awarded each day to the most aggressive rider (Prix de la Combativite), as well as special primes throughout the race.
Finally, bonuses aren't just available to those who win. A special prize of 1,500 Euro per rider is given to each team that finishes with at least 7 of its 9 riders.
Here's a brief look at how some of the classifications pay:

Which is $405,085 plus stage money and bonuses