PDA

View Full Version : Johnson among top picks without contracts -- By ELIZABETH MERRILL

DeepSouth
07-25-2005, 06:46 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12214700.htm
Chiefs part of trend of slow signings this season

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

The Derrick Johnson negotiations are going swimmingly. Really. Just the other day, Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson called Johnson a second-stringer, and somewhere, Johnson’s agent let out a giant chuckle.

And then there was the line that GMs throw out a few days before training camp, the one about how the team plane will leave with or without their first-round draft pick. Peterson used a similar one, and said he feels no pressure that the Chiefs start camp Thursday and that only two of their nine drafted rookies are signed.

“They all have had offers for some time, and they’re responding to those offers,” Peterson said.

“There are no No. 1s signed yet. It’s their loss. It’s not ours. See, what people forget is that we played last year without any of these draft picks and we have already acquired some veteran players this year through restricted and unrestricted free-agency. The only person who loses here is, unfortunately, the draftee if he elects not to go to camp on time.”

Peterson is positioning, Johnson is waiting, and it is business as usual in Kansas City. Here’s what is unusual: As of Sunday night, none of the 32 first-round draft picks had signed a contract. Part of the holdup is tied to the collective-bargaining agreement, which expires after the 2006 season. Because the agreement hasn’t been extended, teams can prorate signing bonuses only over five years.

But Johnson’s agent, Vann McElroy, said that snag hasn’t been much of an issue in his negotiations. McElroy said he’s crafted a fair deal for Johnson, the Chiefs’ most-hyped rookie since Tony Gonzalez, and simply wants to protect his client.

Johnson, the Butkus Award-winning linebacker from Texas, was a surprise pick for the Chiefs, who didn’t guess he would last until the 15th selection. He lived up to his billing in offseason workouts, and at least one coach said Johnson was further along than the club expected.

Although the Chiefs have a long and colorful history of holdouts — six of their last nine first-rounders missed at least part of training camp — Peterson said he won’t cave in to public opinion and rush into a deal he doesn’t think is right.

“Derrick Johnson right now is running second team on this football team,” Peterson said. “I don’t let the media nor the public try to influence what our plans are and what we feel we have to do. Because that’s not my job. My job is to run the Kansas City Chiefs.”

McElroy, who answered his phone on the first ring late Sunday, said he isn’t sweating it. The rhetoric is typical for late-July negotiations. So are the back-and-forth faxes. The Chiefs sent an initial proposal, and McElroy fired another one back last week.

He declined to say how far apart the parties were.

“I think it’s typical that there is a bit of positioning,” McElroy said. “But I think that everybody realizes that the guy’s a great player. And I think at the end of the day, both sides will treat it as such.

“I’m hopeful this thing will be done on time and we’ll get him in.”

Peterson said the Chiefs were close to finishing up a couple of contracts. When asked whether that included Johnson, he said, “No, but we’ve had communication with Derrick’s guy. That’s always good. Nobody wants to be first.”

Late Sunday, Kansas City-based agent Tom Condon was headed to San Francisco for some hard-core, and hopefully final, negotiations for No. 1 overall pick Alex Smith. Once the No. 1 pick is signed, the next four selections generally follow in the hopes that the top pick scored big money.

Last year, Condon was holed away at Giants headquarters until 4 a.m., securing Eli Manning’s $20 million signing bonus. Apparently, Condon thinks he can top that — even with the five-year proration.

“Eli was the first pick, the salary cap was $80 million, and he got $20 million guaranteed,” Condon said. “And I think he was an excellent value. The salary cap has gone up by over $5 million, it’s a year later, Alex is the first pick, and they play the same position.”

Johnson isn’t shooting for the Alex Smith package. In the days after he was drafted in April, Johnson said he understood the significance of training camp and wanted to be in River Falls on time. The plane leaves Wednesday.

With or without the rookies.

“I’m hopeful it doesn’t happen,” Peterson said of a possible holdout. “He indicated to me that it would not happen, he would not allow it to happen. But right now, there are no No. 1s signed.

“It’s up to each first-round draft choice to make his decision whether he thinks it’s important to be in camp on time or not. Hopefully it is their decision and not the agents’ decision because it’s their career, not the agents’ career.”

On the dotted line

The Chiefs’ high draft picks in the Carl Peterson era and when they signed.

1989 LB Derrick Thomas Aug. 24*
1990 LB Percy Snow Aug. 20*
1991 RB Harvey Williams Aug. 7*
1992 CB Dale Carter June 1
1993 No first- or second-round pick
1994 RB Greg Hill Aug. 1*
1995 T Trezelle Jenkins April 25
1996 S Jerome Woods Aug. 12*
1997 TE Tony Gonzalez July 29*
1998 T Victor Riley July 2
1999 T John Tait Sept. 9*
2000 WR Sylvester Morris Aug. 9*
2001 No first- or second-round pick
2002 DT Ryan Sims Aug. 28*
2003 RB Larry Johnson July 17
2004 DT Junior Siavii July 21

jspchief
07-25-2005, 07:02 AM
This isn't as big of a deal as the media wants to make it out to be. Only 4 first rounders had been signed by August 24th last year. Things will start happening in the next week.

htismaqe
07-25-2005, 07:15 AM
This isn't as big of a deal as the media wants to make it out to be. Only 4 first rounders had been signed by August 24th last year. Things will start happening in the next week.

Yep.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 07:22 AM
How many first rounders remain to be signed including DJ?

jspchief
07-25-2005, 07:23 AM
How many first rounders remain to be signed including DJ?All of them. It says it right in the article.

ptlyon
07-25-2005, 07:24 AM
How many first rounders remain to be signed including DJ?

32 I believe

:titus:

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 07:25 AM
All of them. It says it right in the article.

I already knew that. I was more interested in the thread title vs. reality.

jspchief
07-25-2005, 07:33 AM
I already knew that. I was more interested in the thread title vs. reality.What the hell does "reality" have to do with reporting? :)

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 07:34 AM
But,but but..... the media is always correct, just ask Jason. It's not like sports writers ever get a story wrong or never include their own opinions.

FloridaMan88
07-25-2005, 07:42 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12214700.htm

“There are no No. 1s signed yet. It’s their loss. It’s not ours. See, what people forget is that we played last year without any of these draft picks and we have already acquired some veteran players this year through restricted and unrestricted free-agency. The only person who loses here is, unfortunately, the draftee if he elects not to go to camp on time.”

Yeah Carl you played without DJ last year and, how did the defense play last year?

And the only veteran player you've signed to address the LB position is Bell.

Stop with the spinning already and get DJ signed!

ptlyon
07-25-2005, 07:56 AM
Stop with the spinning already and get DJ signed!

I'm not a Carlapologist but basically his hands are tied here. Until picks 1-14 are singed the ink will not flow in Kansas City.

It is the nature of the game.

jspchief
07-25-2005, 08:01 AM
I'm not a Carlapologist but basically his hands are tied here. Until picks 1-14 are singed the ink will not flow in Kansas City.

It is the nature of the game.That's not entirely true. It's not like you have to wait for earlier picks. It just helps you avoid overpaying.

ptlyon
07-25-2005, 08:13 AM
That's not entirely true. It's not like you have to wait for earlier picks. It just helps you avoid overpaying.

My point is DJ and his agent won't even think about negotiating until they know where they stand after the 14th pick is signed.

dirk digler
07-25-2005, 08:15 AM
DAMMIT CARL!! :cuss:

:rolleyes:

crispystl
07-25-2005, 08:16 AM
1990 LB Percy Snow Aug. 20* remember his name but thats about it I was like even years old
1991 RB Harvey Williams Aug. 7* Barely remember him

2003 RB Larry Johnson July 17 ?
Geez what bunch of freaking busts! I don't think Larry Johnson is but I wanna see him play a full season. and Junior Siavii who knows?

BigRedChief
07-25-2005, 08:26 AM
1990 LB Percy Snow Aug. 20* remember his name but thats about it I was like even years old
1991 RB Harvey Williams Aug. 7* Barely remember him

2003 RB Larry Johnson July 17 ?
Geez what bunch of freaking busts! I don't think Larry Johnson is but I wanna see him play a full season. and Junior Siavii who knows?

1993 was Joe montana
Siavli was a 2nd rounder
Who was pick in 2001?

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 08:27 AM
1993 was Joe montana
Siavli was a 2nd rounder
Who was pick in 2001?

Green and DV

RedThat
07-25-2005, 08:32 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12214700.htm“ See, what people forget is that we played last year without any of these draft picks and we have already acquired some veteran players this year through restricted and unrestricted free-agency. The only person who loses here is, unfortunately, the draftee if he elects not to go to camp on time.”

Come on Carl! please share with us better quality information.

BigRedChief
07-25-2005, 08:36 AM
Come on Carl! please share with us better quality information.
Not gonna happen until the contract is signed. In defense of King Carl this is going on with every team. GM says he's a second stringer, we don't need him this year we can wait etc etc...Agent says he badly needed, give us the cash. I've faxed a reasonable offer to the team etc etc..

jspchief
07-25-2005, 08:37 AM
My point is DJ and his agent won't even think about negotiating until they know where they stand after the 14th pick is signed.And my point is, that is not entirely true.

It's not like players sign in the order they were drafted. The 10th overall pick last year was one of the earliest players inked. It's true that agents and GMs want to see how the slotting plays out, but it's more of a guideline than a rule. To say that DJ's agent "won't even think about negotiating" is bullsh*t and hyperbole.

Earlier picks being signed would certainly expidite the process, but it's not absolutely neccessary.

mlyonsd
07-25-2005, 08:38 AM
And my point is, that is not entirely true.

It's not like players sign in the order they were drafted. The 10th overall pick last year was one of the earliest players inked. It's true that agents and GMs want to see how the slotting plays out, but it's more of a guideline than a rule. To say that DJ's agent "won't even think about negotiating" is bullsh*t and hyperbole.

Earlier picks being signed would certainly expidite the process, but it's not absolutely neccessary.

Quit arguing. He knows everything, just ask him.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 08:41 AM
How many 2nd round picks have been signed to date?

ptlyon
07-25-2005, 08:43 AM
And my point is, that is not entirely true.

I'm not saying it is "the rule". I am just saying that it is normally how it happens. Yes, there are exceptions, like last year. Or like whe LJ signed 2 years ago, even though he was 27th.

I just don't see it happening for DJ though. Highly touted linebacker, supposedly the best in draft, and a Butkus award winner.

I just think they will hold out as long as possible to get him what he deserves.

I really want DJ on that plane on Wednesday, and would love to see it, but don't see it happening.

I guess we will see.

ct
07-25-2005, 08:43 AM

July 24th you mean?

ptlyon
07-25-2005, 08:44 AM
Quit arguing. He knows everything, just ask him.

UNOIT

ct
07-25-2005, 08:45 AM
How many 2nd round picks have been signed to date?

Only one I think.

Scratch that, I see matt roth signed, so now I have no idea. Trying to find somewhere with a list.

keg in kc
07-25-2005, 08:47 AM
Oh nos! We're ska-roooooooooooood.

Just turn in your season tickets now. There's no point in going.

jspchief
07-25-2005, 08:53 AM
July 24th you mean?Oops, yea. Thanks for catching that for me.

Last year, 21 of the 32 first round picks signed contracts in the week of July 27th through August 2. Signings really aren't that far off pace, and when they start, they will happen pretty fast.

TEX
07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
And so it begins... :rolleyes:

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 09:13 AM
Although we know it, Carl, DV, Gun, DJ, agent , and the rest of the world knows it that DJ will probally end up starting sometime this year....Right now he is 2nd string until proven.

Carl has to negotiate like he is a 2nd stringer ( # 1 draft pick ) .FTR, any GM better negotiate this way, Any rookie must prove himself 1st before getting all the money in the world thrown at him.

RedThat
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Only one I think.

Scratch that, I see matt roth signed, so now I have no idea. Trying to find somewhere with a list.

Your right. So far only 2. That is, OT Kahliff Barnes(Jacksonville), and DE Matt Roth(Iowa)

PHOG
07-25-2005, 09:36 AM
Your right. So far only 2. That is, OT Kahliff Barnes(Jacksonville), and DE Matt Roth(Iowa)
Babineaux (sp?) has signed with the Falcons, so that makes 3 I believe.

RedThat
07-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Babineaux (sp?) has signed with the Falcons, so that makes 3 I believe.

Ok

Rukdafaidas
07-25-2005, 09:47 AM

:spock:
That fat SOB just couldn't wait to spend the money he stole.

htismaqe
07-25-2005, 09:54 AM
So two of the 3 first-day picks that have signed are Hawkeyes? Tells you someting about their character. :D

keg in kc
07-25-2005, 09:55 AM
So two of the 3 first-day picks that have signed are Hawkeyes? Tells you someting about their character.Yeah, that they're either so stupid or so desperate for cash that they're not willing to wait.

*trying to keep a straight face*

wasi
07-25-2005, 09:58 AM

I've heard of the Jacksonville Jaguars but when did Iowa get a NFL team??

RedThat
07-25-2005, 10:05 AM
I've heard of the Jacksonville Jaguars but when did Iowa get a NFL team??

Correction Dolphins.

Mr. Laz
07-25-2005, 11:30 AM
My point is DJ and his agent won't even think about negotiating until they know where they stand after the 14th pick is signed.
*cough*bull*cough*chips*

someones been listening to carl-speak too much

chiefsfan1963
07-25-2005, 12:57 PM
[QUOTE=DeepSouth]http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/12214700.htm

By ELIZABETH MERRILL

The Kansas City Star

“Derrick Johnson right now is running second team on this football team,” Peterson said. “I don’t let the media nor the public try to influence what our plans are and what we feel we have to do. Because that’s not my job. My job is to run the Kansas City Chiefs.”

Your job is to win Super Bowls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:cuss: :cuss: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rain Man
07-25-2005, 01:02 PM
1989 LB Derrick Thomas Aug. 24*
1990 LB Percy Snow Aug. 20*
1991 RB Harvey Williams Aug. 7*
1992 CB Dale Carter June 1
1997 TE Tony Gonzalez July 29*
1999 T John Tait Sept. 9*
2003 RB Larry Johnson July 17

Smart move by Jenkins.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
DJ and the rest of the Chiefs rookies will be in camp on time.

Thig Lyfe
07-25-2005, 01:17 PM
In what way is DJ a second-string player? He has more talent than any linebacker who was playing for the Chiefs last year.

Logical
07-25-2005, 01:20 PM
A slightly better article by Merrill, nothing to write home about. I figure this is about the best we are going see from Merrill.

Oh and of course Carl is being a jackass, nothing new there. Hope he does not f*ck up his offseason by continuing to be one to the point DJ does not make in until September.

TEX
07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Why didn't Merrill just say ," Johnson, like ALL OTHER TOP PICKS, is not signed?" Because at the time it was written, that was indeed the case. :rolleyes:

As far as I know, only the Patriots have signed their top pick (# 32) This is such a non story at this time. Next week it might be one.