PDA

View Full Version : A little car advice needed...

luv
07-25-2005, 12:46 PM
My passenger side rear blinker keeps going out. One day, as I was parking at work, I had an employee notice moisture build up inside my tail light cover. I checked it, but I don't see how moisture is getting in there. And it's only that one. Bulbs aren't expensive, so that's not my complaint. Just getting annoying having to purchase a new one every month.

J Diddy
07-25-2005, 12:48 PM
You should sell your car immediately before it explodes.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 12:49 PM
My passenger side rear blinker keeps going out. One day, as I was parking at work, I had an employee notice moisture build up inside my tail light cover. I checked it, but I don't see how moisture is getting in there. And it's only that one. Bulbs aren't expensive, so that's not my complaint. Just getting annoying having to purchase a new one every month.
You've got to have a crack or a gap somewhere that is letting the moisture in. Condensation doesn't just magically appear inside there for no reason. What's the make amd model of your ride?

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Make sure the lens is sealed up when you install it, check for a broken seal, gasket, etc,.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 12:50 PM
The seal/gasket is probably worn out letting water in from rain and it's causing a short would be my guess. You could try taking a clear silicone and going around the exterior part of the tail light.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 12:51 PM
Make sure the lens is sealed up when you install it, check for a broken seal, gasket, etc,.
Can't say that I've ever seen a gasket on a tail light. :spock: Most models have overlapping parts to keep water out.

luv
07-25-2005, 12:51 PM
You've got to have a crack or a gap somewhere that is letting the moisture in. Condensation doesn't just magically appear inside there for no reason. What's the make amd model of your ride?
2000 Ford Contour (something worth bragging about, huh? lol)

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Make sure you lens is not cracked or has a hole in it as well . If so , seal it with silicone and replace when ever possible.

greg63
07-25-2005, 12:52 PM
My father-in-law had the same problem, and what he did was drilled a small hole near the bottom of the head light for the water to drain out of. I know it sounds really crazy, but it has worked for him.

luv
07-25-2005, 12:53 PM
Make sure you lens is not cracked or has a hole in it as well . If so , seal it with silicone and replace when ever possible.
Okay, so if I go into O'Reilly's and ask for silicone, I'm not going to sound like an idiot, right?

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 12:54 PM
Can't say that I've ever seen a gasket on a tail light. :spock: Most models have overlapping parts to keep water out.

Most people call them seals since they are rubber. There are a few folks around that call them gaskets.

Years ago before the rubber or foam seals, they were a carboard, cork type gaskets that sealed them up.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 12:56 PM
2000 Ford Contour (something worth bragging about, huh? lol)
I've got a 95' Corsica with 160,000+ miles on it that's falling apart. Stop bragging luv. :p

I'm guessing that the rear of your vehicle looks like this.

http://www.carsct.com/pics/057J2F.jpg

If you can't find a gap or a crack around the lens, then do yourself a favor and check the seal around the inside of the trunk. It doesn't happen often but once in a while, you'll get a bad trunk seal that allow moisture inside that builds up inside the tail light.

luv
07-25-2005, 12:56 PM
Most people call them seals since they are rubber. There are a few folks around that call them gaskets.

Years ago before the rubber or foam seals, they were a carboard, cork type gaskets that sealed them up.
I hate dealing with car stuff. Just checking, I would put this silicone around the edge of the outside of my tail light, right?

Rain Man
07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Does it go off, and then back on, and then off again? If so, just pull down the little lever to the left of your steering wheel and that should fix it. But don't pull it too far, or it'll mess up the driver's side light.

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 12:58 PM
Okay, so if I go into O'Reilly's and ask for silicone, I'm not going to sound like an idiot, right?

I would 1st see what it is to replace new or used, if you don't have the cash, go to Walmart, any hardware store and buy a small tube, a squeezable tube and apply it. Parts stores will charge you more for it.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 12:59 PM
I hate dealing with car stuff. Just checking, I would put this silicone around the edge of the outside of my tail light, right?
After reading that, I have new advice for you. Take the car over to your Dad and let him look at it. The last thing you want is silicone all over your car. Let Dad give it a look and go from there. :)

Saulbadguy
07-25-2005, 01:01 PM
15 replies and no mention of the infamous blinker fluid leakage?

:shake:

I'm not impressed.

ROYC75
07-25-2005, 01:01 PM

Do you know it has a crack or hole in it ?

Depending on if it can be repaired, I would do it lightly on both sides if it can be repaired.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 01:02 PM

I'm not impressed.
Probably because it's not funny anymore.

luv
07-25-2005, 01:03 PM
After reading that, I have new advice for you. Take the car over to your Dad and let him look at it. The last thing you want is silicone all over your car. Let Dad give it a look and go from there. :)
My dad's no that much better with cars.
The bottom right view is exactly the light I am having problems with. Only mine is light blue (like it matters).

luv
07-25-2005, 01:03 PM

I'm not impressed.
I may be a female, but I know better than that.

greg63
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Hey 4th and Long,
Your custom signature is really cool! Where did you get it?

luv
07-25-2005, 01:08 PM

That, plus, I don't like "running to daddy" with everything, especially if I am able to fix it myself. Moving washers and dryers up and down a flight of stairs is one thing, fixing a little annoying blinker is another.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 01:09 PM
The bottom right view is exactly the light I am having problems with. Only mine is light blue (like it matters).
OK I'm going to suggest something off the wall here. Call it a controlled test.

Get a watering can, a garden hose, something that contains water and pour/spray it around the area in question then check for a leak. Try not to pour/spray around the gap in the trunk. If you cannot find a leak, THEN pour/spray around the gap in the trunk and check for a leak inside the trunk.

BTW, in controlled studies, light blue cars have been known to have more leaks than any other color car. :p

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 01:10 PM
Hey 4th and Long,
Your custom signature is really cool! Where did you get it?
I honestly dont remember.

luv
07-25-2005, 01:10 PM
OK I'm going to suggest something off the wall here. Call it a controlled test.

Get a watering can, a garden hose, something that contains water and pour/spray it around the area in question then check for a leak. Try not to pour/spray around the gap in the trunk. If you cannot find a leak, THEN pour/spray around the gap in the trunk and check for a leak inside the trunk.

BTW, in controlled studies, light blue cars have been known to have more leaks than any other color car. :p
I thought about the inside of my trunk, but it's only happening with one light, not both.

Rain Man
07-25-2005, 01:11 PM
Do you keep bodies in the trunk? If so, wrap them in plastic first.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 01:12 PM
I thought about the inside of my trunk, but it's only happening with one light, not both.
That most likely would not matter. If the leak is just a trickle in one insignificant spot, it can pool/run down in just the right spot to cause the problem you described. It most likely would not flood your trunk.

luv
07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
That was the other thing about opening the trunk. It kinda stinks in there. I'm surprised that smell hasn't permeated through the whole car.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 01:15 PM
That was the other thing about opening the trunk. It kinda stinks in there. I'm surprised that smell hasn't permeated through the whole car.
A possible sign of mold/mildew caused by a water leak. :hmmm:

greg63
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM

ROFL Now there's some practicle advise. ROFL

luv
07-25-2005, 01:17 PM
A possible sign of mold/mildew caused by a water leak. :hmmm:
No, the dead body I have stashed in there.

4th and Long
07-25-2005, 01:19 PM
No, the dead body I have stashed in there.
Oh. In that case, I am out of ideas. Good luck.

luv
07-25-2005, 01:20 PM
I'm off to get ready for work. I'm actually looking forward to going in. More drama there than at home. It's almost entertaining. Anyway, thanks for the helpful suggestions, I'll look at it closer again, and consider my possibilities. Thanks again.

greg63
07-25-2005, 01:21 PM
Oh. In that case, I am out of ideas. Good luck.

Me too, but the plasic thing sounds like a step in the right direction. ROFL

PastorMikH
07-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Call your dad, tell him about the problem, and make a deal with him. Tell him that you will clean his entire house if he will take the car to the dealer and pay to have it fixed.

luv
07-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Call your dad, tell him about the problem, and make a deal with him. Tell him that you will clean his entire house if he will take the car to the dealer and pay to have it fixed.
NO WAY! Surely as I do that, it will be something really little like $20-30. Cleaning my dad's whole house? You'd have to pay me more than that! Okay, I'm outta here now. Have a good night.

PastorMikH
07-25-2005, 01:34 PM
NO WAY! Surely as I do that, it will be something really little like $20-30. Cleaning my dad's whole house? You'd have to pay me more than that! Okay, I'm outta here now. Have a good night.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

tommykat
07-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Now nowing what papas house is like............that is so faulking funny!!!ROFLROFLROFL

PS...........Luvie can't clean either...ROFL Runs in the family....;)

Lzen
07-25-2005, 02:51 PM
Forget it. The car is screwed. You'll have to go buy a new one.

Skip Towne
07-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Does it smell like rotting flesh? If so, refer to Kevin's post.

Skip Towne
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
$30? Hahahahaha. I've never gotten out of a dealer's repair shop for under $100. They can turn a tail light ding into $175 really quick.

KC Kings
07-25-2005, 03:51 PM
Car Question Part 2:
How hard is it to replace lower ball joints?
I have a 97 Explorer 4wd that just failed inspection because of loose lower ball joints. They want $500 at 3 different garages, and the parts are only $30 a piece.

It figures, we get it paid off last month, get the title in the mail last week and two days later the starter goes out. It's bad enough it cost $120 for a refurbed starter, but now a week later something else has to be replaced.

Logical
07-25-2005, 03:51 PM
The seal/gasket is probably worn out letting water in from rain and it's causing a short would be my guess. You could try taking a clear silicone and going around the exterior part of the tail light.

Or you could just replace the seal/gasket.;)

PastorMikH
07-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Now nowing what papas house is like............that is so faulking funny!!!ROFLROFLROFL

Sounds like they need you around them more to help them out with such things.

;)

PastorMikH
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Car Question Part 2:
How hard is it to replace lower ball joints?
I have a 97 Explorer 4wd that just failed inspection because of loose lower ball joints. They want $500 at 3 different garages, and the parts are only $30 a piece.

It figures, we get it paid off last month, get the title in the mail last week and two days later the starter goes out. It's bad enough it cost $120 for a refurbed starter, but now a week later something else has to be replaced.

The worst part about ball joints is getting them loose. They make tools to help that you would probably have to buy. I've watched my dad lightly tap on ball joints and they fall loose - ball joints that I have hammered and hammered on with no luck. They can be frustrating.

The second worst part is that even after you get the job done you will have to take it to the shop to get the front end aligned again. A pair of tires can eat up any $ you save in a hurry if you don't.

You could just ask Papa Smurf if he would pay to have your car fixed for you if you clean his house for him.:)

tommykat
07-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Sounds like they need you around them more to help them out with such things.

;)
ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS?

FOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :shake::shake:

luv
07-25-2005, 11:46 PM

Excuse me? Have you ever been to my apartment? No. Everyone who has ever come over always says how neat I keep things, tyvm. I do believe you are either going off of dad's word, or not differentiating between what used to be his mess or mine when I stayed with him.

Bwana
07-26-2005, 05:30 AM
Hmmm? If the blinker fluid is at the full mark and that is not the issue, you have either a crack or gap in the plastic. Re-inspect the light and if you are sure there isn't a crack of any kind, you will need to either remove it and reseal it around the edges, or get a new night with a good seal. Either way, take care of it before the moisture rusts the inside and you have to end up replacing more parts or short out some wires.

4th and Long
07-26-2005, 06:12 AM

I'm not impressed.
Hmmm? If the blinker fluid is at the full mark and that is not the issue, you have either a crack or gap in the plastic. Re-inspect the light and if you are sure there isn't a crack of any kind, you will need to either remove it and reseal it around the edges, or get a new night with a good seal. Either way, take care of it before the moisture rusts the inside and you have to end up replacing more parts or short out some wires.
Welcome to page 2, slacker. :p

Bwana
07-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Welcome to page 2, slacker. :p

Heh! That's what I get for working 12 hour days and not reading the thread. :hmmm:

luv
07-27-2005, 12:14 AM
The plot thickens....

I went to O'Reilly's today to get a new bulb. I opened the trunk, got the socket that the bulb goes in, and, when I took the bulb out to take into the store, I literry had about 5-10 drops worths of water pour out of the socket. I went in and bought the new bulb, but have not put it in yet. I checked my tail light cover for cracks. None. Looks like I am going to have to take it in to the dealer. :cuss: That mean's I need to clean out my trunk. :cuss: Oh well, everything happens for a reason.

J Diddy
07-27-2005, 12:17 AM
T That mean's I need to clean out my trunk. :cuss: Oh well, everything happens for a reason.

Yep they frown on bodies in the trunk

:)

luv
07-27-2005, 12:25 AM
Yep they frown on bodies in the trunk

:)
I guess I could put it in some trash bags and throw it in the dumpster. It's been done, but I don't want to bring it in the apartment. EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Could put it in dad's garage. :hmmm: Nah, the dogs would get ahold of it. What to do, what to do?

J Diddy
07-27-2005, 12:27 AM
I guess I could put it in some trash bags and throw it in the dumpster. It's been done, but I don't want to bring it in the apartment. EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!! Could put it in dad's garage. :hmmm: Nah, the dogs would get ahold of it. What to do, what to do?

Feed it to the pigs