PDA

View Full Version : A First Round Draft Choice has SIGNED!!!!!

KChiefs1
07-25-2005, 01:13 PM
http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/NE/8675336

Patriots sign first-round pick Mankins

NFL.com wire reports

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (July 25,2005) -- The New England Patriots announced the signing of first-round draft choice Logan Mankins today. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed. Mankins, who was the last player selected in the first round of the 2005 NFL draft becomes the first among those 32 players to agree to a contract. With his signing, the Patriots have now signed all seven of their 2005 draft choices.

Mankins, 23, was drafted by the Patriots with the 32nd overall selection. The 6-foot-4-inch, 307-pound lineman started 40 of 42 games in four seasons at Fresno State, where he earned first-team All-Western Athletic Conference honors in his final season at Fresno State. Mankins did not allow a single sack or pressure the entire season, producing 16 touchdown-resulting blocks, earning him team-MVP honors making him the first offensive lineman in Fresno State history to earn such an award.

After red-shirting his freshman season in 2000, the Catheys Valley, California native had an outstanding 2001 season blocking David Carr’s blind side brilliantly allowing only two sacks the entire season. Mankins was the recipient of the “Bad Dog” Award by Fresno State Head Coach Pat Hill, a rarely-awarded honor that goes to a player who completely dominates his position.

Logical
07-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Mankins at 32 won't set the market but at least it is a start.

Fire Me Boy!
07-25-2005, 01:15 PM
Well, good... that'll help the rest fall in line with contract values.

Rain Man
07-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Let me guess. He could have signed for more, but decided to take less money because he just loves being a New England Patriot.

Cormac
07-25-2005, 01:27 PM
dammit Car.....:cuss:

nevermind :shake:

Ultra Peanut
07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Results 1 - 10 of about 531 for khaaaaaaaaan. (0.26 seconds)

Did you mean: khaaaaaaaaaan

Amnorix
07-25-2005, 01:47 PM
What's really interesting here is the length of the term. The Patriots have historically required first round picks to sign 6 year terms. That's what is leading to Richard Seymour's current threatened holdout, and to the delay of Ben Watson reporting to camp last year (he eventually caved in and went with the 6 year deal).

Mankins only signed for 5. Not sure what's up with that, but I'm sure the Boston writers will be all over it.

KCTitus
07-25-2005, 01:49 PM
What's really interesting here is the length of the term. The Patriots have historically required first round picks to sign 6 year terms. That's what is leading to Richard Seymour's current threatened holdout, and to the delay of Ben Watson reporting to camp last year (he eventually caved in and went with the 6 year deal).

Mankins only signed for 5. Not sure what's up with that, but I'm sure the Boston writers will be all over it.

it's cause of the CBA expiring in 5.

Amnorix
07-25-2005, 02:18 PM
it's cause of the CBA expiring in 5.

Word 'round here was the Pats didn't care and were still looking for 6, and that was the bone of contention between the two sides. Of course, Boston sportswriters know just about zip more than its fans when it comes to Pats stuff, so it may just be speculation on their part.

Mr. Laz
07-25-2005, 04:18 PM
now how in the world did new england sign the 32 pick without having the 1st and 31st pick to set the market?

impossible i tell ya... impossible

htismaqe
07-25-2005, 05:11 PM
3 1st-rounders had signed, all of them for 5 years.