PDA

View Full Version : The tragedy of the bowls.

Rain Man
07-26-2005, 09:41 AM
My wife informed me last night that two of our glass cereal bowls are stuck together. They're these big, half-round glass bowls, and apparently when one of us stacked and put away the dishes from the dishwasher, one of the bowls wedged inside of the other one in an odd manner, and now it won't come out. They're wedged together so tightly that I think there's a vacuum effect, too, because I can't even get water into the bottom bowl.

I tried everything to get them apart. I tried pulling them, twisting them, wedging a knife between them (couldn't), running hot water over the bottom one in the hopes that it would expand, putting water in it (top one only - bottom one is sealed tight) and microwaving them, and anything else I could think of.

I am now of the mind that I'll have to break one to save the other one, kind of like those surgeons who separate siamese twin babies who are joined at the head. But who am I to decide which bowl dies and which bowl lives? Who am I to make a decision like that? I'm not a god. I'm just a man who found himself in this position.

Before I do one of those Deer Hunter russian roulette games on these two loyal, beautiful cereal bowls, does anyone else have a suggestion?

Baby Lee
07-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Ice water in the top bowl. Dip the bottom bowl into hot water.

ptlyon
07-26-2005, 09:49 AM
Soak them in water first, then freeze them. That may pop it.

Or you might be able to do like you do a pickle jar by popping the bottom one with your hand to break the seal.

Or you could try sitting and spinning on them. :D

asdf
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
TTIWWP
:)

ROYC75
07-26-2005, 09:55 AM
And so it goes, another twisted chapter / story in the life of our very own Rain Man.

Would you please stand up and take a bow ?

( Save the kids Kevin, save the kids, err, bowls.... )

gblowfish
07-26-2005, 09:56 AM
Take them back to Wal Mart and ask for new ones.

Brock
07-26-2005, 09:57 AM
You have discovered nuclear fusion.

Saulbadguy
07-26-2005, 09:59 AM
I blame the BCS.

Baby Lee
07-26-2005, 10:02 AM
It'd take a gfreat deal of finesse, but you also could take a flat slim piece of wood [a paint stirrer would work], and strike the lip of the lower bowl in a direct downward motion. If you strike it STRAIGHT down, the force will be spread out along the length of the wood and shouldn't shatter the glass, but will be biased to one side enough to possibly create some separation.

ROYC75
07-26-2005, 10:06 AM
WD-40 around the edges........... works every time. Treat it twice, about 6 hours between , Let it stand overnight.

Jenny Gump
07-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I'm just so glad you this story isn't "Tragedy of the Bowels".

Jenny Gump
07-26-2005, 10:31 AM
My wife informed me last night that two of our glass cereal bowls are stuck together. They're these big, half-round glass bowls, and apparently when one of us stacked and put away the dishes from the dishwasher, one of the bowls wedged inside of the other one in an odd manner, and now it won't come out. They're wedged together so tightly that I think there's a vacuum effect, too, because I can't even get water into the bottom bowl.

I tried everything to get them apart. I tried pulling them, twisting them, wedging a knife between them (couldn't), running hot water over the bottom one in the hopes that it would expand, putting water in it (top one only - bottom one is sealed tight) and microwaving them, and anything else I could think of.

I am now of the mind that I'll have to break one to save the other one, kind of like those surgeons who separate siamese twin babies who are joined at the head. But who am I to decide which bowl dies and which bowl lives? Who am I to make a decision like that? I'm not a god. I'm just a man who found himself in this position.

Before I do one of those Deer Hunter russian roulette games on these two loyal, beautiful cereal bowls, does anyone else have a suggestion?

Fill the top one with melted candle wax with a quarter in the middle. Don't let the quarter fall to the bottom of the wax, or this trick won't work.

Once the wax sets, put the bowls in the freezer for a couple of hours. Meanwhile, mix a martini, extra dirty.

Take the bowls out of the freezer, and you will have a big ass candle...with a quarter in the middle.

Rain Man
07-26-2005, 10:37 AM
I can't wait to get home to try all of these. I refuse to believe that I can't save both of them.